• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Heinous Act by the guild named Cartel ($C$)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are right, they aren't "excuses" they are a means to avoid these actions that apparently can't/won't be stopped by the developers...la
Once upon a time, the Devs (especially Designer Dragon) didn't want to use game mechanics to "stop" PKing, yet they caved in. Like it or not, most UO players have never wanted the supposed "risk" or "excitement" of having to fight other players, particularly now because they don't want to be the 20 on PvP characters who get dropped one by one by dismount archers.

So rather than offer an excuse, I'll simply point out that the solution here would be to make corpses block bloat movement, at least those of "boss" monsters, as most corpses once did.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Last night something amazing happened on the Pacific shard. During a spawn of Scalis in Buc's den a call went out for help to anyone on the shard willing to help as the group doing the spawn was unable to defeat their foe. The rally cry was heard and many (likely most) of the shards players showed up to help. They worked together, healed each other and their pets. It was the best example of teamwork by players that hardly knew each other that I have seen in years!

The battle insued for quite a while but, in the end the foe was defeated. The feeling of brotherhood was in the air. Thanks went out over global chat and I think most were as amazed with the outpouring of support not normally seen. It even may have been a Catalyst for future such events!

Enter the guild called "Cartel ($C$)". Only a few seconds after the victory they deployed a ship over the top of the spawn corpse. They would allow no one access to the looting rights and waited for the corpse to allow full looting rights. That however, was not the worst part! They gloated over global chat and taunted the entire shard over what they had done. They told all the players that we should consider it a lesson that we should not ask for each others help for that is not something they were willing to allow.

As you may imagine many were upset by this and one Veteran player vowed to leave the game with her many accounts. It is behavior like this that can drive players away from the game we all love. With a falling player base on our shard we simply can't afford this kind of cruelty. Sad thing is nothing can really be done as what they did is allowable in the game mechanics nor is it really possible to for the devs to code anything to stop it even though it happened in Trammel.

So what is my goal/purpose for posting this? It is my hope that those that read this will join me in raising the bar on how we treat others in game. If you know someone in this guild let them know how unacceptable and destructive their attitude is. Honor is important is all we do. Honor is a gift man gives to himself. Without honor you are not a man but, just something less.

Robin of Moxy
Infiltrate their guild and PK them at the bank. Steal from them. Get lots of people to do it. Make it impossible for them to socialize or recruit effectively. Have someone kiss their ass until they're made an emmissary and then kick everyone from the guild. Go to war.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The genuine orcs were on Catskills, weren't they? They also largely confined themselves to the orc fort. "Human" visitors could expect to get attacked, but to my knowledge they never spread far beyond there. Any such thing, e.g. camping the crossroads for any victims happening by, would have been merely an excuse, because those PKing didn't have the guts to admit they were just looking to cause other players misery.
There were two orc clans on GL at various times, the well-known Bloodrock and later on the Urks. I think both played multiple shards.

Bloodrocks claimed the orc fort south of Yew; they could be aggressive, but were definitely RPers. They'd set up blockades of the nearby road and demand shinies in tribute or they'd klomp you.

I miss them...

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously?? People complain about THIS being abused and taunted at an event! Have you ever been to an EM event lately? Or wait....better yet.... people lining up and waiting for hours to be killed by Mesanna.

Parking a boat over a corpse by Cartel guild is a poor attempt at amateur hour.

Robin_of_Moxy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Heinous?
Can we be more dramatic?
And vowing to close multiple accounts over a bad deed and some taunting? Seriously? Don't TOS state that you have to be over 14 to play.
A group of newbies were in over their head and advertised it in chat and were then taken advantage of. It was wrong and I believe that any players doing that kind of crap are total asswipes but it is just a game folks. Lighten up.
I hope the real lesson learned though is not to start something you obviously cannot finish.
I think you might fit in well with Cartel. lol You miss the whole point.

Robin_of_Moxy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
And yet once upon a time there were clans of Orcs who would roam the lands and take over player towns, stealing houses and items, killing players and inhabiting those lands for days on end... I guess they weren't roleplaying either, just griefing and harassing others simply on the premise that they were socially inept and required entertainment, and that they were also perhaps naturally selfish/sadistic/malicious.
Actually we had some great roleplay back in the day with the Orks of Kor. They were all upstanding people though and roleplayed with honor not as you describe. Even though they roleplayed as evil orks they did it in a way the benefited the community. Not grief.

Robin_of_Moxy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
What's this thread about? I don't understand the point the OP is making.
This point is that some players do not understand that their actions can drive players away. We need to raise the bar of how we treat each other to help our player community as a whole. That starts with calling attention to the actions described herein.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course not! I do not expect the Devs to do anything here. Instead it is the players of the Pacific shard that can make a difference. Set the bar for how we treat people.
The players of Pac will have a better idea of what to do now. I can only imagine that a lack of forsight and knowledge on this specific creature was the real issue.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright. The point here was made and the community is aware. Everyone gets the choice as to how they wish to conduct themselves in UO. Good and evil is included in this game for a reason. Who will you be?

The rest can pretty much be summed up in this video. I recommend all who question what UO was intended to be... to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.