• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Gentle Request from Molly and Faine

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First, let me start by saying, Molly and I are so thankful we are EM's on Origin. You guys are the most courteous, fun bunch of players, bar none. You make it so much fun for us and we love putting on events for you. We honestly wouldn't trade ANY of you for an entire case of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies. I know we keep saying it, but we truly are blessed to be your EM's.

That being said, Molly and I do have a request regarding Events and Items. This is not pointing at any one person or group or whatever in any way. I'd just like to take a minute to kind of explain our view (because we don't EVER want ANYONE to think we are ignoring them) and ask a favor.

Molly and I pretty much have a policy that, unless it's something like a Valentine's or St. Patrick's day event where we are dropping a ton of things, we don't discuss what was dropped at any event nor how many of anything was dropped. This is not an EA policy. It's our personal feeling. To us, the event is not about the items so much as the story. Yes, we drop items. We try very hard to make them relevant to the story. But we always hope that people come to the event FOR the story. I guess we also harbor the hope that if they are only coming for items, they enjoy and get wrapped up in the story we have to tell as well. :) Sometimes there may be very few of an item, sometimes there may be a lot. We try to mix it up as much as we can. There have been, and will probably be in the future, events that drop nothing.

So, the favor...please do not ask us how many of any item dropped. Especially during or at the end of an event. We won't tell you. *winks* If it is something we are giving to everyone, please don't stop us during the middle of an event to ask for it. If it's something we are trying to give to everyone, I promise each of you, our intent is to see that everyone gets it and we will do our best to make sure that happens when the event is over. We'll open a gate, or teleport you, or whatever we need to do. However, during and immediately following events, we want to stay in the story as much as possible.

We honestly do try to put a lot of thought and planning into the events, the stories, and yes, even the items. We want the items we DO drop to have meaning to the story. We know there are collectors that like to have rares to sell and trade. We have absolutely nothing against that play style. It's every bit as viable as any other. It's what someone enjoys most about the time they spend playing in this world. But we also know there are players who collect items to be able to look back and say, "O! This was from the time where (fill in the blank). Let me tell you the story." This type is what we think about when deciding on an item to drop. We ask, will someone look back and say, "Remember when..."

We do the same thing when planning what we are going to have you fighting. You can go almost anywhere in game and bash a monster just because. But, if we can tell you a story and give you a reason for fighting something that you can follow and feel like you've accomplished something at the end, well, then we've done what we set out to do.

Again, this is not directed at anyone. However, Molly and I were both raised with manners and we absolutely hate feeling like we are ignoring people by not answering questions. We just wanted to let everyone know our views and ask for your help.

As I said, we do absolutely adore you guys and hope you enjoy our stories. And yes, the cookies help a lot too. *grins*

Q

quig

You two EMs make a great duo! Your stories and events are alot of fun. But seriously you need a way to boot annoying players! Theres usually only 1 or 2 at events and they ruin it for everyone. Sadly the problem gets worse when EMs give in to there whineing (which alot of EMs do just to shut the whiners up). Hopefully Mesanna can make a jail or something that holds players for 30 min or something.

Anyhow keep up the good work!

ps. i like items :p thanks for the tree!

C

Crystal Canyon

I was very happy to see you post this. I have wanted to comment on this topic for quite some time, but I was afraid that I would lack your ability to say it "gently".

My hope is that some of the players that have been asking these type of questions during an event, just don't realize that it does cause problems.

For one, doing this sometimes disrupts other players from asking questions pertaining to the event that is going on. I at times have had trouble trying to figure out what is being said and what is being answered because the screen is so full of text that it is hard to decipher.

I am all for rares collectors in the game, but when it gets to the point that they only show up at an event to try to either get a drop or to hassle people who did, they are completely in the wrong. This type of behavior is irritating to other players who are there for the entertainment and fellowship. I have seen them go as far as to harass another player right at an event about selling an event item to them.

During the last event, I was taking screenshots to post for an article. Most of the pictures near the end of the event were littered with people asking about "what drops there were and how many". This was being done during the time the event was still in progress and the storyline was being played out. I had to go through dozens of screenshots trying to find a couple that didn't have these players questions covering the storyline that was being told.

I would not post pictures with these questions in them. It would be embarrassing for me and it may even be an embarrassment for the players who are doing this.

I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone, nor would I want to see anyone get upset and think that people don't appreciate rare collectors, because we do, but hopefully this thread will bring to light the problems that are being caused by asking such questions during an event.

Now as for you EM Faine...are you really going to say that you wouldn't at least THINK about trading one of us for a case of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies? ;) We adore you both also and we know by the way you treat us, that you feel the same, but honestly....a WHOLE CASE of Thin Mints??? Now that's just love I tell ya!!!!! :)

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know I could not "gently" discuss the subject, it was very frustrating to hear people complaining about "I didn't get this", or "this thing didn't have that written on it". at the last 2 events I've had to just leave to avoid getting myself into trouble. so let me just say it here, if you are coming to the events just to get an item, please keep your comments til we all meet back at the counselors hall so those of us there for the story can enjoy it. I have no problem with someone coming to an event just for the items, I just don't like to have the story ruined by a bunch of screen talk. (my tongue hurts from holding back in this one paragraph even)

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has ever been the problem with seer events and now EM events that people work really hard to be included in the "in" crowd to be able to "get rare stuff".

Over the years the feelings of special selection and entitlement that arise over the course of time, the market for rare event items that command enormous prices even without game balance issues for item properties, and the general inability of everyone to make every event, or the EMs inability to hand out stuff to every single player on a shard makes this a tenuous situation at best.

I did not make the last event. I have not heard it discussed. My attention was focused on an aspect of the game that I enjoy that was abnormally active over the weekend.

People will complain, consider Abraham Lincoln and his famous truism regarding mobs. Please consider using the statues to dispense non game altering items in your absence as this will ensure more people attend strictly for the story.

Just on a side note, I don't get to make many weekend events, family and rl and what not. I do enjoy the tale telling enormously, but the one event I attended (wherein the fighting and dying was very fun!:thumbup1:) was rather lost on me because although you did a great job in putting together a great synopsis, I just felt lost as far as the story went.

Possibly consider shorter story cycles?

All in all, EM events are a great way to build shard wide community, but no substitute for Guild play that involves stories and hunts and events. Some Game wide events that support the em events, or that are supported by em events would be a good place to place the rarer or special property items and ems then would be able to do lesser property items and what not, making them available to all for a limited time (week?) through the statues, and those that actually care to follow the story would still attend events.

Just my two cents.
You guys are awesome and I had a great time watching the She-Hulks run the events on Wed.:lol:

E

Eyes of Origin

*carefully thinks of a response to this topic*

This subject irritates me.

I hate people who come to Origin (or any other shard for the matter) just to get the items. It's nice to see people, dont get me wrong.. the events have exploded with new players from all over, but some are just there for the items, which I dont agree with. I wish we could have events without items or just items that everyone gets.
I know they wouldn't be rare and the rares people would have a fit, but it would be so much more pleasing to attend events that arent being over ran by people just looking for the items. Just my opinion, but the creation of EM items just brings out the greed in people, as we saw on Valentine's Day and as I have seen across the board on the other shards. =/

I remember when our events were nice, quiet, lag free and the people who actually play on Origin were the ones getting the drops. People who would lock them down in their house and save it as their own momento of the event and not sell it or x-shard it.

I understand where Faine and Molly are coming from though and I agree, keep comments and questions regarding item amounts and drops to yourself until the end of the event. It's rather annoying on any shard to see that while the event is going on.