• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player News) A Friendly Reminder: How To Spot And Avoid Scammers

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings all,

I had the misfortune to hear one of our well loved community members getting scammed today in the "sale" of a Castle today for 400m; You're going to be seeing a fair amount of this over the next month as people come back on Return To Britannia accounts, which have access to General Chat (unlike Trial accounts that are locked into Help only), so to try and keep you all safe, I just wanted to point out a few methods to avoid your decency being taken advantage of.

Firstly, the Scammer used the empty castle near Vesper of the Atlantic Trading Company, as there aren't many clearly ready to be sold around. If someone tries to sell you that particular one then, be especially wary.

UO.com has some seriously out of date tips here, but there are a few good pointers all the same.

Secondly, always try and follow these basic rules for safe trading;

1.) If it's something they've got which is worth an amount you are nervous about trading, then it's an item worth that much and it's going to be desirable; thus don't let anyone pressure you into completing any sale, in any way you aren't comfortable with. They'll always get more buyers if it's an honest trade, and whilst they'd like money instead, it doesn't have to be your money and it doesn't have to be right now. I know it's hard when it's something you'd dearly like... but give yourself the certainty you'll get it too!

2.) If it's for under 125m in cash, buy it from a vendor. Anyone with a Public Home can place a vendor, and you can see the item and how much exactly it will be charged for.

3.) If you're buying a Pet, see if someone has a Magincia Stall, or can bid for one; it's possible for people to park identical model pets nearby, and trade you that instead of what you expect to get. Don't accept any unusual trades like "the offer will come from a character with a different name" either. Don't ever trade it in Fel, outside a guard zone, or somewhere it can possibly be killed unless you really can't avoid it; remember pets will lose their bonding as soon as they are transferred to you. And they won't be very happy either. Feed them as soon as the trade completes... stable them for a week real time and feed them again to keep them safe!

4.) If it's for something too expensive, or too complex to be sold via a Vendor of any kind, consider finding a reputable Trader to act as an intermediary... or just as a reference for the character who wants to trade. If they've got a castle, they probably haven't gotten there without being known to someone. Such Traders will usually charge between 10 to 15% of the sale price for being a go-between.

5.) So you've decided to go for that home, next make sure the person actually owns it. Insist that they change the name of the house sign whilst you are there. Another suggestion is to make you a co-owner to the place. Whilst you both need to be under the sign to complete the trade, and you should make sure they can also show you the trade for house ownership too, it's better to be certain. And remember, player names are no longer unique; looking at the sign and seeing the names match isn't enough. The scammer today simply made a newbie character of the same name and stood outside the desired castle.

6.) Still go the vendor route for the transferring of cash if not using a third party; it's too easy to say "You only gave me 102m" or "Some of those cheques were too small" and once it's out of your hands, it's their word against yours. Buy 1 gold coin for 100m if you want, but you both can see what the exchanged total is.

7.) Don't expect to ever have certainty. Or to stop feeling nervous until the items are in your hands; you're not a bad person for feeling so, just a wise one. And you're not a fool for being scammed; most scams just rely on having less morals, or knowing some obscure bit of broken code that no normal person would care about. And it's impossible to know every single thing about even something you'd think would be simple like a trade.

And of course, if anyone else has any tips to keep you all safe, please feel free to add them here!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
very wise advice - and on point 3. I have a Magincia stall on Europa that I will happily place a pet on for this purpose.

Maleachi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just another warning... There is another player scamming people left and right on Europa atm.

He is a renowned sampire who isn't known for his friendly language. Keep your eyes and ears open. ;)

Myphsar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just another warning... There is another player scamming people left and right on Europa atm.

He is a renowned sampire who isn't known for his friendly language. Keep your eyes and ears open. ;)
I got scammed many years ago, after i felt so bad it nearly ENDed my GAME and to me 200k then was alot of gold.
These people are just total scumbags and lowlife PoS.

Burzum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
4.) If it's for something too expensive, or too complex to be sold via a Vendor of any kind, consider finding a reputable Trader to act as an intermediary... or just as a reference for the character who wants to trade. If they've got a castle, they probably haven't gotten there without being known to someone. Such Traders will usually charge between 10 to 15% of the sale price for being a go-between.
Who would you reccomend?

I'm buying a castle soon from "Europa trader" and am pretty nervous about passing 700m without a broker. No offense to Europa Trader, I just don't really know many people these days and tend to be skittish about large trades.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well i can vouch for Europa Trader if that helps at all. I've done many trades with him over the years and never had a problem.

Last edited:

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Who would you reccomend?

I'm buying a castle soon from "Europa trader" and am pretty nervous about passing 700m without a broker. No offense to Europa Trader, I just don't really know many people these days and tend to be skittish about large trades.
Well I don't mind using a broker, we can use Manticore if you like.

Burzum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, talking of scammers..
Just went round luna and there is a very well respected vendor these items :
An old ring @ 175k!!! An old necklace @ 175K!! These come from a new player haven quest and cost around 24gp! now thats a profit!
Also red shovels and pickaxes, which come from headless miners on lvl 1 in covetous, they do not come from any event of any kind! priced @ 4.95m!!
Wow!

Thats shameful!

The saying "let the buyer beware" is stretching it a bit...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, talking of scammers..
Just went round luna and there is a very well respected vendor these items :
An old ring @ 175k!!! An old necklace @ 175K!! These come from a new player haven quest and cost around 24gp! now thats a profit!
Also red shovels and pickaxes, which come from headless miners on lvl 1 in covetous, they do not come from any event of any kind! priced @ 4.95m!!

Edit : more 'old ring/necklace' at another well known vendor on umbra road but for 199k each, pure greed and a compete scam.
There have always been scams like that. I've seen 'muffin' which is obtained simply by eating two of the set of 3 you get from casting 'create food' and the green reversed bandages from a bandage summoning talisman priced and advertised as 'rares'.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it possible to have a thread or something similar with tried and tested brokers that don't mind being a middle man?

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its no different to vendors named "Cheap Tokens" on most shards only to have Xfers priced at 49.9m and Advanced character tokens at 45m... If thats cheap I'ld hate to see the full price....