• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A few things i want to know before i buy the game

V

.Viper.

Well, there are a few thing that my brother and i want to know before we're going to play it:

1) If we buy just one cd-package for both of us, can we still play together?
(Do we need cd's etc..?)

2) I have seen on the site that you can make a second character for an additional 1 dollar a month,
but is it possible, for me and my brother to do that (pay for two ID's) and loggin on both of those ID's at the same time?

3) if that is possible, (or not) can we choose our world, or will we be random dropped in a world?

please tell me :blushing:

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) If we buy just one cd-package for both of us, can we still play together?
(Do we need cd's etc..?) You will need two CDs. Your content ID (login information) will be based on your CD code.

2) I have seen on the site that you can make a second character for an additional 1 dollar a month,
but is it possible, for me and my brother to do that (pay for two ID's) and loggin on both of those ID's at the same time? I'm afraid not. You can only play from one character at a time if they share the same Content ID (see above).

3) if that is possible, (or not) can we choose our world, or will we be random dropped in a world? You choose between San d'Oria, Bastok and Windurst allegiance when you start the game.

Best of luck, however you choose to proceed! Welcome to Stratics!

T

tanls

You can pick your server world, if that's the question you are asking. So you can both go to the same server and play together.

I

Igiari

Instead of making a new thread based on similar questions, I might as well go ahead and use this one :)

I've been playing both Guild Wars and World of Warcraft, although the latter only for about a month. I've always prefered japanese rpg design and story over westernized Conan style, so neither of the games have really got me hooked. I played wow today while chatting with a guildmate about FFXI (wow is his break from a 3 year FFXI subscription). I've peeked a bit at FFXI before, but now it's really caught my interest. This might be a prejudicial claim, but FFXI players seem to have a friendlier mentality in general. In wow I don't know if I should treat strangers as friend or foe. As most soon-to-become-players I've a few questions.

Is the PS2 version playable on PS3? I lack both a hdd and a network adapter for my PS2, and since I live in Europe I would have to tweak my PS2 a bit to make it cuddle with american versions of the game. (The PS3 is region free when it comes to games, and I hope that goes for PS2 games on it as well.) The price I'll have to pay for being able to play on my PS2 would probably be around at least $300. Because there's not a PS3 version that I haven't heard of, right? Or a PS2 EU version?

Are players from all the world and gaming platforms using the same servers?

To me it seems a bit odd playing an mmorpg on a console. Though it seems cozy lying in bed playing on the TV, a console and text based communication seems like a crazy combination (I've heard about a keyboard for the X360 controller, but that console is not an option.)

Does the graphic look different on the different gaming platforms?

What are the main pros and cons playing on console compared to PC? (Again, X360 specific issues are not of interest).

If I've understood correctly, you need a trial key from a current subscriber in order to try it out. Is there any kind gentleman/-woman out there who could give me his/hers? I'd do my best to return the favor.

Thanks for taking the time reading, and hopefully answering, my questions :)

T

tanls

This might be a prejudicial claim, but FFXI players seem to have a friendlier mentality in general. In wow I don't know if I should treat strangers as friend or foe. As most soon-to-become-players I've a few questions.
I think this is true, granted, I don't have all that much experience with other MMORPGs. I think that the party emphasis of FFXI fosters that. Of course, the tards do exist and persist.

Is the PS2 version playable on PS3?
Yes, but the game might be difficult to find, but I currently don't have a PS3 so someone with more experience should probably answer this more fully.

Are players from all the world and gaming platforms using the same servers?
Yes. Regardless of media, you will all play on the same servers.

Does the graphic look different on the different gaming platforms?
From all reports, the graphics look the same regardless of media. This has been a complaint that has existed for awhile now. I've played on both Xbox and PC and there is no difference. The game was written towards the PS2 graphics and there are no plans to change that as far as I know.

What are the main pros and cons playing on console compared to PC? (Again, X360 specific issues are not of interest).
As far as I'm concerned, I like the portability of playing on my notebook. I started on XBOX and got used to having a controller, so when I switched to PC, I went and got a controller for it. Otherwise, I think it's personal preference and whatever system you may have. USB keyboards are a must for this game so that you can communicate if you go the console route. They've made the game so that if flows regardless of media, and I could still play on xbox without changing anything based on my content ID.

The greatest advantage to playing on a PC is the ability to window the game. Originally, windowers were not allowed, but SE has come out with its own windowed version now. Windower allows you to look up information to assist you in the game. As you may have found out, there really isn't a guide that comes with the game and much of the help info is online somewhere.

If I've understood correctly, you need a trial key from a current subscriber in order to try it out. Is there any kind gentleman/-woman out there who could give me his/hers? I'd do my best to return the favor.

Thanks for taking the time reading, and hopefully answering, my questions :)
There is a 30 day buddy pass available, I think. Unfortuneately, I don't have one.

M

Mooge

Well, I have in my possession the original ff xi for the ps2 in my possession that is brand new because I was an idiot and thought that the vana'diel colleciton was only expansions and I needed the original game :thumbsup: . So I could sell it to you if you want. Though it would be smarter to just buy the vana'diel collection because it's a much better deal.