• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Change of Heart

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sitting at the edge of the waters, Aedon looked out towards the horizon. In the distance, he could see the sea birds swooping and diving down to catch a fish. He had come here hoping to ease his mind, and perhaps make up his mind as to what he should do.

Love is not a thing that comes and goes, nor is it a commodity to be thrown around or traded on a sudden whim. I have always been the forever after sort when it comes to my close relationships. And through the many years I have walked these lands, I have been married only two times. My first wife, Maggie was selected for me by others. A stout woman that could provide me with many strong sons. Heirs to my lands and holdings of the time. And she did just that, though I recall little about that family. They are shadows of a life that lays long forgotten. I was told she set sail one day, the children at her side. Caught up in a mighty storm, the ship sank taking with it all my hopes and dreams. And I mourned them all, and in time, turned my face to the future, and walked that path mostly alone.

There were other women of course, and in my way, I did love each of them. But invariably something was missing from a relationship. And so, I moved from highs to lows, from love to despair, and always, I found myself standing at the edge of the waters, staring out to sea.

It was in Yew that my life again took a change of course. I was sent by the Knights of Yew to represent them in a hearing at the Court of Truth. A man named Vyndaar Venroe was on trial, and the City was awaiting the judgement of the Guardians of Yew. As I sat half listening to what was being said, I heard the judge call on a member of the accused man’s family. I had little doubt that this person would offer a plea for Venroe’s life, but the voice that spoke drew my attentions, and commanded me to look towards the speaker.

To say it was love at first sight would be an understatement. I could not take my eyes off the woman who I later came to know as Janissan Venroe. Her plea on behalf of her brother was heartfelt. What surprised me is that she did not ask that he be set free, but that he be offered treatment for a madness she said had come over him. I listened with care to all she had to say, as well as to the statement of those who followed her. And when the time came for Yew to offer the sentence, I stated that we were recommending a long term of treatment for Vyndaar.

He was not at all moved by my judgement, but his sister was. As she turned towards me she smiled, and I melted. For the next two years I pursued her, and courted her in a rather clumsy manner. I am not sure if I was out of practice, or if I was simply so much in love that I feared I might do something that would send her running from me. I finally got up the courage to ask her to marry me, and to my delight, she said yes. But only if her brothers agreed.

I think much about those times now. The meeting with Vyndaar, who had been released and was living well in the lands of their family. I was a bit surprised when he approved of the match, and within a month we were wed.

A strong wife to give me strong children? This I would never have asked of her. She was a warrior queen, and as likely to ride into battle as any of the men within the boundaries of Yew.

Our life together was filled with happy times among friends, and some strife between Yew and Kithrinwood. Jan was my greatest joy, and asset. She was more the quiet, strong diplomat, where I was the hot-headed leader who refused to bow down to others. It was she that would negotiate truces and deals for Yew. And I know that often, she did not approve of me, but always, she stood by my side.

When our daughter Kylee was born, I was ecstatic. And like her mother, she was beautiful beyond words, and captured my heart. But times changed in Yew, and danger crept around every corner, and lay in the deep shadows of the woods. And so, one day I stood on the shores of the water, and watched as Jan and Kylee boarded a ship to set sail to visit her family. And I smiled, and waved and called out that I would see them again soon. All the while knowing deep down that this would not be so. And yet still, after all these years I am drawn to the water, and watch the horizon for signs of their return.

After they were gone, I threw myself into my work in Yew. Often, I told myself that I would one day go to see them, but that never happened. After all, a creature of duty such as I am cannot leave his charges to chase his own happiness. And the years passed, and my heart died a bit more with each visit to the water’s edge.

Why am I thinking on this so heavily tonight?

I have asked myself that over and over. Perhaps it is that I need to remind myself more often these days about that life, or maybe it is because I have allowed my heart to feel for another again, And I am facing a choice that I keep putting off.

The papers have been drawn up for a few months now, so why do I still hesitate to sign them? Is it the sound of the voice I hear still in my dreams calling my name, or am I simply afraid that my history will repeat itself?

To end a marriage of many years is no easy task, and should never be taken lightly. I am an always and forever sort. I enjoy knowing that my heart beats in time with one other. I like being married.

I think that watching John die the other evening had a profound effect on me, and may be driving me to make my final decision. Watching Piper cling to his body, seeing her try to drag him from further harm and perhaps through the sheer force of will, call him back from the cold beyond. I hope that he knows that there is someone in this world that cares for him that deeply. It is a special gift for sure.

When Maggie died, I did not think I could ever care for another. But Jan brought my heart back to life, and gave me new purpose. Just as Izzy has now brought meaning to my long dark existence. It is not good to live one’s life alone, clinging to a hope, a dream that will never come true.

Looking the documents over again, Aedon reaches for the pen laying on the ground close at hand.

I will not claim that I am doing this for Jan, because in truth, this is something I do for me. I cannot claim that I am setting her free, because in truth, I have never owned her. She and I shared a life and love together. And I will not say that my actions free her from her tie to me and this land. Because I will always hold her in my heart.

signing the papers, Aedon walked into the courthouse, and left them on the desk of the judge.

Last edited: