• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

5 Hellounds 5 frenzied or 2 Fire Steeds - DPS

sterger7

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So...can anyone tell me with pack insticts what's the higher dps?

I see the hellounds and the frenzied ostards have the same "base damage" though obviously dif
damage types (fire/phys mix compared to pure physical) The hellhounds also have the fire breath. I dont
know if the fire breath "takes the palce of" their auto attack for that round or is it in addition to their normal attack giving them an overall bonus? So assume yer fighting the same resist target - Which has overall
more dps the ostard or the hellound assuming you're using a pack of 5 for each?

Or the 2 fire steeds? I heard someone post that 2 fire steeds (assuming you have someone else tanking)
can do almost double of a greater dragon. I don't see how, the base damage is much lower....

Also note: i can do this with or without corpse skin. I'm wondering if the 15% resist lowering for fire
would make the hellhoudns just "that" much better than the ostards....And would they still be better
without corpse skin due to the fire breath, etc etc? get where I'm going? Sure I can spend weeks bonding
and taming all these to test, but if the work has been done, it's better to ask.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So...can anyone tell me with pack insticts what's the higher dps?

I see the hellounds and the frenzied ostards have the same "base damage" though obviously dif
damage types (fire/phys mix compared to pure physical) The hellhounds also have the fire breath. I dont
know if the fire breath "takes the palce of" their auto attack for that round or is it in addition to their normal attack giving them an overall bonus? So assume yer fighting the same resist target - Which has overall
more dps the ostard or the hellound assuming you're using a pack of 5 for each?

Or the 2 fire steeds? I heard someone post that 2 fire steeds (assuming you have someone else tanking)
can do almost double of a greater dragon. I don't see how, the base damage is much lower....

Also note: i can do this with or without corpse skin. I'm wondering if the 15% resist lowering for fire
would make the hellhoudns just "that" much better than the ostards....And would they still be better
without corpse skin due to the fire breath, etc etc? get where I'm going? Sure I can spend weeks bonding
and taming all these to test, but if the work has been done, it's better to ask.
Almost positive it will come down to the dmg type & resists of your target. Corpse skin is a huge boost if they already low fire or poison... Since you mentioned tanking the target with a 2nd char are we talking about unbound evs?

sterger7

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, you got it. Trying to figure out a way to make this tamer/bard useful instead of just going double Sampires (pretty elite gear)
Im thinking pack instinct mobs. But if I go corpse skin with necro I have to give up either the discord (can't do it) or the provocation on the build (wanted to have 120 spellweaving for the 1/4 health execute). Of course who knows what the fail rate on the execute would be on a UEV?

I would think the "inspire" song damag boosting either 5 ostards, or 5 hellhounds or 2 fire steeds woudl be ideal. The question is which of these 3 combos is best? Also, the original question still applies, if you're assumign EQUAL resist. what does more damage the hellhounds or the ostards? The ostards don't have fire breath, but I don't know how that interplays with the regular attacks, and they both have similar damage. (no info on attack speeds). Also the fire steed claim of doing 2x greater dragon seems a stretch given their stats/damage etc....

sterger7

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess an option would be keep the SS/necro for the corpse skin boosted hellhounds/fire steeds, keep the provocation boost for all 5 pets, and sacrifice the spellweaving

but is the corpse skin going to make the fire steeds or hellhounds truly do that much more damage?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tackling the problem with maths:
Since the frenzied ostard has a max of 170 strength compared to the hell hound's max 150 strength, a "perfect" pack of ostards does more damage than a "perfect" pack of hell hounds (but is much more difficult to obtain).
The difference is deceptively small, at 4 points of damage per tick (swing at 1.25 seconds) on average (about 1% difference).
The fire steeds hit for much more damage per shot and have much higher strength, but since there are only 2 fire steeds in a pack, you only do 50-60% as much damage as the other packs. (slightly more than 50% with no spellweaving imp, slightly more than 60% with spellweaving imp).

The fire steeds actually do less damage as a pack than a high plains/lowland boura combination (by about 5%), which they probably make up for in fire breath.

One addition consideration: the two fire steeds are roughly equal in offensive output to a nightmare/dread war horse (or bane dragon) combination.

Bear in mind that these are just base numbers, and the actual damage varies according to the resists of whatever you're fighting.

sterger7

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks huge for the information. It sounds like the perfect pack of ostards would do more all things being equal, though you didn't mention at all the hellhounds flame breath. Does this 'add' any overall DPS to their damage output, or is his being mitigated by loss of attack? Or does it happen so infrequently as to not matter.

Also: As it turns out with +55 necro gear, and even 0 spirit speak I can still corpse skin I believe for 40 seconds. As hellhounds have 80 fire 20 physical, that should drastically increase their DPS against these UEV's, should it not? Thus letting me drop ss/necro entirely and keep the spellweave for the word of death? ;)

I plan on using "inspire" to increase the damage of all 5 pets...which I think would further the gap between 1 inspired g-drag or 2 inspired fire steeds...

Course gotta find a place I can train up these hell hounds heh

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hellhounds flame breath. Does this 'add' any overall DPS to their damage output, or is his being mitigated by loss of attack? Or does it happen so infrequently as to not matter.
I use hellhounds alot I dont have any math to support it but my feeling is that they do less dmg when they use fire breath still i kinda like it they can dropp stuff from range that they can not get to

Last edited:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fire steeds hit for much more damage per shot and have much higher strength, but since there are only 2 fire steeds in a pack...
Fire Steeds have Daemon and Equine pack instinct. You can add to their "pack" using a summoned imp from the Spellweaving Summon Fiend Spell (has daemon pack instinct), to increase their damage.

One thing to consider is that Fire Steeds require higher Animal Taming than the ostards or hounds, if given a cramped template. It sounds like your template may be fairly tight.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks huge for the information. It sounds like the perfect pack of ostards would do more all things being equal, though you didn't mention at all the hellhounds flame breath. Does this 'add' any overall DPS to their damage output, or is his being mitigated by loss of attack? Or does it happen so infrequently as to not matter.

Also: As it turns out with +55 necro gear, and even 0 spirit speak I can still corpse skin I believe for 40 seconds. As hellhounds have 80 fire 20 physical, that should drastically increase their DPS against these UEV's, should it not? Thus letting me drop ss/necro entirely and keep the spellweave for the word of death? ;)

I plan on using "inspire" to increase the damage of all 5 pets...which I think would further the gap between 1 inspired g-drag or 2 inspired fire steeds...

Course gotta find a place I can train up these hell hounds heh
Heh... I tested the formula for corpse skin duration and 0 SS vs High Magic Resist will put you A LOT less than 40 seconds.... As long as your rocking LRC you could probably get away with 60 / 60 split, but if corpse isn't lasting like 20 seconds or so you will be spending too much time recasting it. If your able to double account the UEV's I'd probably just go Tank spamming AI + Disco / Trib with High MR. I guess you can throw pets into that equation, but I'd be happy enough with what I mentioned. Your looking at 3-5 Min for a single Samp so doubling up I'd think you should be able to halve that wich is probably pushing the respawn timer on even 3 of them.