• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

250mil for a dread?

G

gramarye

Gold seems to have lost all value in the nine years or so since I started playing. Was offered that amount for my dread yesterday, and let me tell you, this dread is perfectly average. It's also the only one I have left as, when they spawned I gave all the rest away to friends and didn't have the sense to keep some in the stables. I didn't sell it, despite being broke after my recent disaster on sa release day, as I don't have another and I figured I'd get more fun out of keeping the dread than spending the gold, but still, seems an insane amount for one pet.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmmmm should have taken the 250 mill Then buy another dread for 30 mill?

Average dread is about 30 now I guess...... I think your dread is better than you think hehe

G

gramarye

And I thought about doing that... but I had already heard of someone paying 90 odd mill some time ago, and had previously been offered around 100 so was worried if I sold I might not find another to buy. I just would rather have a dread than gold I guess.

L

Luke Carjacker

Well, that's the thing about market pricing. You were offered 250m for your Dread & you didn't sell, so obviously the buyer didn't offer enough. Always strange to see when people thing stuff in UO has some inherent fixed value ('hey I'm not paying XXX for that, the price for that is XXX). Well no, the price for something is whatever a buyer & seller can agree on.

But in this case it's pretty simple, the buyer probably had the same thoughts that you did when deciding not to sell. Not that many Dreads for sale. Price has been going up. Don't know when the next opportunity to see one for sale. Don't want to waste hours and hours sitting at bank waiting to find out. Etc. The market price of something is whatever a buyer will pay for it & a seller will sell it for. The market price could change moment to moment. If your 250m buyer decided he doesn't want to pay that much, the value of your dread might be 35m the next minute.

That being said, I would have definitely taken the 250m and accepted the consequences :)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every time that someone offers 10 times the amount that something was worth, the first word I think of is "scam".

Even though I said I wouldn't ever sell my DWH, I probably would have considered taking the offer anyway, but only with a reputable broker or cash in advance.

G

gramarye

Every time that someone offers 10 times the amount that something was worth, the first word I think of is "scam".

Even though I said I wouldn't ever sell my DWH, I probably would have considered taking the offer anyway, but only with a reputable broker or cash in advance.
Yes, tbh that was something else that influenced my decision not to sell. And even if it was a genuine offer, how on earth does one count 250 individual million cheques into the tiny trade window and be sure that is what is there? As gold becomes worth less and less shouldn't it be possible to have cheques for larger amounts?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I would have sold and would have used a broker.

If anyone wants to buy either of my dreads for 250 mil, be my guest. Tony Emerald can broker the deal. :D