• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

24 hour banning for say an URL in game

• Thread starter Lord Drakelord
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the only way its going to be cyrstal clear is if someone from EA Mythic takes the time to make it so.
As freaking stupid as it is to have in the Terms of Service... you really should read the TOS to find out the answer to this request.

I understand the liable they would try to avoid by putting in there, but to enforce it is not on lame, but more lame since I can't even point players to www.uo.com...

A

Amathist of PoC

I believe you can advertise any UO EA MYTHIC site so that would be uo.com - or did I read that wrong too. I really just wish someone from EA Mythic could really clear it up. I mean who are we to believe as old members of the community event view it differently or understand the tos differently.

8. With the exception of the sale of in-game items for in-game items or services, you may not market, promote or advertise anything, or make any other form of solicitation (including pyramid schemes and chain letters) through the Ultima Online service or Ultima Online web site.
11. You may not arrange for the exchange or transfer of any pirated software or other contraband while you are using the Ultima Online service or Ultima Online web site, or use the Ultima Online service or web site for any other illegal purpose. You will not post the web site address (URL) to any sites which contain sexual material, content which could harm or disrupt another user’s personal network and computer, or content which violates the Electronic Arts Terms of Service.

T

Teeshy

Does a guild class an in game service? (...)
Well, yes, it's an in game service of a sort - BUT - it doesnt really come into this rule at all.

"sale of in-game items for in-game items or services" means selling items from in-game - ingots, ornies, arties, rubble, whatever - for other items, gold, arties etc, (NOT cash) or services, such as crafting a suit, or mining up ingots, or following a person around for a day proclaiming them the best chef in UO =P

I guess if someone was selling 10k iron ingots to get into a guild, then it would be covered ;) LOL!

S

Sindris

It is not stupid, it is EA trying to protect their players form being lead to harmful websites. This has happened in the past.
It IS stupid when you stop to consider all the other things they could be investing their resources toward fixing. Anyone care to stockpile a list of things THEY think deserves more attention than spying on our URL uses within game chat?

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heh.. so I page a GM to check out a stash of items from an IDOC that I think are duped and they give me a canned reply that has nothing to do with what I asked (I trashed them just in case). But if you post a website.. they will be all over you?

*shakes head*

A

Amathist of PoC

Well, yes, it's an in game service of a sort - BUT - it doesnt really come into this rule at all.

"sale of in-game items for in-game items or services" means selling items from in-game - ingots, ornies, arties, rubble, whatever - for other items, gold, arties etc, (NOT cash) or services, such as crafting a suit, or mining up ingots, or following a person around for a day proclaiming them the best chef in UO =P

I guess if someone was selling 10k iron ingots to get into a guild, then it would be covered ;) LOL!

Now you kind of see where it gets confusing and to add to it others have told me they have been in trouble for advertising there guild in game - so you and I would be banned as we would have assumed it was a service of a kind and harmless as we are not selling items for money or gold for money and are in no way advertising anything illegal.

And like others have said I just feel for them to be SO HEAVY On this there time could be better suited cracking down on duped items, hackers, scripters. And in game bugs that exist so that our money that we pay monthly is actually used to increase our enjoyment not make it harder for us to build a community.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it was that 'search' website that was mentioned, seriously its not that bad, a warning should of been enough, I think 24h ban is a little overboard (especially if it was first offense).

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, unless you happened to be there, none of us know exactly what happened. The only person would be the victim mentioned by the OP.

Before this decends into paranoia, this is what I have observed and suspect -

1) The GMs do not actively go around and police the servers, because this is labour intensive and the manpower would be better spent somewhere else. Letting the system scan the logs would be much more efficient. If they really had the manpower to waste and employ live people to stealth around the shards - scripters/dupers would have been caught easily. Penned-in pets would be deleted without needing a page from other players, etc etc

2) They don't actively monitor the logs of what all the players say in game. If they did, most of what they see would be "vendor buy bank guards" "all kill" etc. They might put in a script to filter for certain keywords and raise a flag, but that's if they are as paranoid as CIA/homeland security/the Bush administration and had just cause (ie lives depends on it).

3) If they do the above, what kind of keywords should they flag? And then what next? Have the system auto-ban the offenders? Or waste more manpower to attend to every infraction? If they did this, then you would see more people getting banned. People that do not make the connection between mentioning any sort of URLs in game and the TOS would all be banned. I have mentioned the Stratics URLs to newbies many times, plus guild pages like TOR. So have many people. I also have received replies from GMs to refer to Stratics. (I hate that, at least tell me what to look for or let me know which section or give me a link, but I digress). So, it seems like there's no "automatically_ban_player" subroutine if players mention www.*, www dot, * dot uberhacksite dot com etc etc.

So, I suspect a scenario like this occurred :

Victim typed the URL in a public location, another player overheard it and paged a GM. Said GM then checked the respective section of the logs, and verified that the player did indeed violate the TOS in a minor way, and imposed a minor penalty to let the player know that they should not do that in future.

As to why they are devoting resource to this instead of fixing bugs? For one, GMs are not Devs. Devs are the ones that will debug the codes. GMs are the response team that will attend to in game issues.

And in the scenario above, someone paged, so the GM will need to attend to this case, otherwise we would have a "I paged a GM on someone that is recommending a cheat site, but no GM came" post.

In conclusion, if you are teaching your young ward to go to a legit site like Stratics for info, you have nothing to worry about, other players could care less. If they paged, GM will tell them that they see no wrong being done.

However, if you spam Stratics' URL at the Luna gate for hours, anyone can page you and reasonably expect the GMs to do something. Even if it's UO's adopted site/forum. If you want to advise your wards against going to certain cheat sites, be responsible and do not mention the URL in public where other unknowing youngsters may overhear you and be tempted to try the site. Use guild or party chat instead.

If you are hosting an event and want to promote your site, send in an official request and get an approval first. This way if you really get paged on, you can show the GM that you have the neccessary approval. Again, even so, please do so responsibly, the approval doesn't mean that you can spam your URL until you border on becoming a nuisance.

Also, everyone's gotten into a frenzy regarding the recent bannings. I can only guess how anxious and infuriated folks are. I can also feel the bitterness dripping from some of the ex-players' posts. I sincerely believe that these posters love the game dearly and just feels betrayed at the moment. But please calm down and discuss the issues in a matured fashion, do not make a molehill into a mountain.

Thank you.

A

Amathist of PoC

If it was that 'search' website that was mentioned, seriously its not that bad, a warning should of been enough, I think 24h ban is a little overboard (especially if it was first offense).
I have no issue with them banning for sites that promote usage of third party programs or trading items or gold or money - that is perfectly acceptable.

My concern is that they have lumped in the same basket sites like uoguide and stratics and wrr and other sites that offer guides and tutorials even castles and courtyards - because they are said to be saying ANY URL.

And this just makes it harder for those trying to build the community and for shards to share information or even promote our guilds.

A

Amathist of PoC

Actually, unless you happened to be there, none of us know exactly what happened. The only person would be the victim mentioned by the OP.

Before this decends into paranoia, this is what I have observed and suspect -

1) The GMs do not actively go around and police the servers, because this is labour intensive and the manpower would be better spent somewhere else. Letting the system scan the logs would be much more efficient. If they really had the manpower to waste and employ live people to stealth around the shards - scripters/dupers would have been caught easily. Penned-in pets would be deleted without needing a page from other players, etc etc

2) They don't actively monitor the logs of what all the players say in game. If they did, most of what they see would be "vendor buy bank guards" "all kill" etc. They might put in a script to filter for certain keywords and raise a flag, but that's if they are as paranoid as CIA/homeland security/the Bush administration and had just cause (ie lives depends on it).

3) If they do the above, what kind of keywords should they flag? And then what next? Have the system auto-ban the offenders? Or waste more manpower to attend to every infraction? If they did this, then you would see more people getting banned. People that do not make the connection between mentioning any sort of URLs in game and the TOS would all be banned. I have mentioned the Stratics URLs to newbies many times, plus guild pages like TOR. So have many people. I also have received replies from GMs to refer to Stratics. (I hate that, at least tell me what to look for or let me know which section or give me a link, but I digress). So, it seems like there's no "automatically_ban_player" subroutine if players mention www.*, www dot, * dot uberhacksite dot com etc etc.

So, I suspect a scenario like this occurred :

Victim typed the URL in a public location, another player overheard it and paged a GM. Said GM then checked the respective section of the logs, and verified that the player did indeed violate the TOS in a minor way, and imposed a minor penalty to let the player know that they should not do that in future.

As to why they are devoting resource to this instead of fixing bugs? For one, GMs are not Devs. Devs are the ones that will debug the codes. GMs are the response team that will attend to in game issues.

And in the scenario above, someone paged, so the GM will need to attend to this case, otherwise we would have a "I paged a GM on someone that is recommending a cheat site, but no GM came" post.

In conclusion, if you are teaching your young ward to go to a legit site like Stratics for info, you have nothing to worry about, other players could care less. If they paged, GM will tell them that they see no wrong being done.

However, if you spam Stratics' URL at the Luna gate for hours, anyone can page you and reasonably expect the GMs to do something. Even if it's UO's adopted site/forum. If you want to advise your wards against going to certain cheat sites, be responsible and do not mention the URL in public where other unknowing youngsters may overhear you and be tempted to try the site. Use guild or party chat instead.

If you are hosting an event and want to promote your site, send in an official request and get an approval first. This way if you really get paged on, you can show the GM that you have the neccessary approval. Again, even so, please do so responsibly, the approval doesn't mean that you can spam your URL until you border on becoming a nuisance.

Also, everyone's gotten into a frenzy regarding the recent bannings. I can only guess how anxious and infuriated folks are. I can also feel the bitterness dripping from some of the ex-players' posts. I sincerely believe that these posters love the game dearly and just feels betrayed at the moment. But please calm down and discuss the issues in a matured fashion, do not make a molehill into a mountain.

Thank you.
I actually agree with most of what you have said - the problem is that so many people are saying different things. The whole point of any of my posts in this thread is to get a response from the EA mythic team just so it is all 100% clear and there can be no hysteria or mistakes.

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually agree with most of what you have said - the problem is that so many people are saying different things. The whole point of any of my posts in this thread is to get a response from the EA mythic team just so it is all 100% clear and there can be no hysteria or mistakes.
Yeah, good luck with that. I lost my last shred of hope for any decent and coherent customer service after the recent events. I know at least one and maybe two people who were absolutely innocent yet got banned and their requests for a 'hearing' were answered with anger when in one case it was answered by a real person at all.

thelma1717

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol back when we all hung at britt bank on pac my friend and i were taLking about the intrest rate on credit cards and he said he was tired of being [****d] by the banks and whamo 24 hour suspension lmao

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are talking to me, I am most certainly not a GM or EA employee for that matter. I'm just going by the facts.

* A minor infraction was committed
* A minor punishment was given (24 hour suspension is NOT a big deal... go watch the olympics or something)

I would be against a perma-ban for posting a website, but this was just a suspension to enforce the rules. Maybe a warning would have been a better punishment, but I don't see a 1 day suspension as being a serious punishment.
well a 24 hour suspension is a mark on your account that is permanent. you can be permanently banned after numerous warnings, regardless of their triviality

don't you think EA should do something about this vendor searching website? they've been allowing it to operate for almost 2 years yet they have the gall to mark people's accounts for sharing the URL in-game.

to me, that is totally unfair.

EA should deem it legal or shut down the accounts associated with this website and continue to shut them down whenever they pop up again with their vendor search scripts.

whatever happens, they certainly should not be marking people's accounts for sharing the URL in game if they aren't going to do anything about the site itself.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here's a thread I started on the topic:

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=95467

for some reason people in that thread think I don't play UO. not sure what gave them that idea or where they think I learned all that I know about UO. I guess they think I studied it in college. lol.

also I'm not sure why Stratics mods want to try and quiet this issue, looking into it.

the developers must know about the vendor search websites and how they operate. they use scripts to search vendors. they make a lot of money by providing this service (through advertising, in game sales for IRL money etc). i think EA should shut them down or deem it legal.

they definitely shouldn't be marking people's accounts for mentioning the site in-game. a lot of people think it is a legitimate way to search for items in game.

V

Vyrquenox

Thats Stupid.
yeah it is stupid but EA allows the website to sit there and search vendors. that is what is even more stupid. lol

they ban people for using a website that they refuse to shut down. what a disaster.

what is even more of a farce is that UO should have a damn search engine in the first place.

so pathetic.

This is why there is the conspiracy theory that people in EA run those sites. (I want to believe!)

V

Vyrquenox

I forgot to mention that the way around this seems to be the stealth dropping of books enscribed with whatever site you/they want people to come to. I assume it is, I have sure seen plenty of books hawking seemingly illicit sites selling whatnot and thisthat.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
8. With the exception of the sale of in-game items for in-game items or services, you may not market, promote or advertise anything, or make any other form of solicitation (including pyramid schemes and chain letters) through the Ultima Online service or Ultima Online web site.
11. You may not arrange for the exchange or transfer of any pirated software or other contraband while you are using the Ultima Online service or Ultima Online web site, or use the Ultima Online service or web site for any other illegal purpose. You will not post the web site address (URL) to any sites which contain sexual material, content which could harm or disrupt another user’s personal network and computer, or content which violates the Electronic Arts Terms of Service.
LOL according to Section 8 its illegal to mention www.uogamecodes.com (EA's game code site) in game! As it sells ingame items (Legacy Token!!!) for money LMAO! So EA's biting themselves in the butt!!! Too funny!

As for Jeremy replying to this thread: Forget it! She don't have the cojones to actually reply to a thread whose topic is the least bit contreversial.

Well since Jeremy's a female ...she don't have cojones anyways!! :D

A

Amathist of PoC

LOL according to Section 8 its illegal to mention www.uogamecodes.com (EA's game code site) in game! As it sells ingame items (Legacy Token!!!) for money LMAO! So EA's biting themselves in the butt!!! Too funny!

As for Jeremy replying to this thread: Forget it! She don't have the cojones to actually reply to a thread whose topic is the least bit contreversial.

Well since Jeremy's a female ...she don't have cojones anyways!! :D
I don't think it would take cojones to explain clearly what the TOS mean - I am not asking for the to defend it just explain it clearly so there is no misinterpritation by anyone. (cant believe I used cojones in a sentence)

N

natfbrazil

Ha, the shopping site 'do not say the name' issue made me laugh and think of Harry Potter and "He who shall NOT be named" or however it goes. Too funny!

A

Amathist of PoC

Ha, the shopping site 'do not say the name' issue made me laugh and think of Harry Potter and "He who shall NOT be named" or however it goes. Too funny!
I have no issue with site such as the shopping site and trader sites being banned to me they are wrong because of the use of third party programs or the use of real money for ingame items.

My concern is that the sites that BUILD the community, and simply offer information or in game events are being prosecuted as well - or at least it has been lead to believe that we are still waiting for EA Mythic to confirm whether or not this is true or false.

My other question is even the mention of words such as ICQ is that consider against the TOS because it is a third party chat program?

EA mythic just really need to take the time and put things straight make it so that not every second person has a different take on the rules.

A

Amathist of PoC

I forgot to mention that the way around this seems to be the stealth dropping of books enscribed with whatever site you/they want people to come to. I assume it is, I have sure seen plenty of books hawking seemingly illicit sites selling whatnot and thisthat.
I do not wish away AROUND it for that would still be breaking rules - I just want to know exactly what the rules mean. And if they do mean ALL urls that perhaps Ea Mythic rethink this especially for sites that help BUILD community and advertise the game in a positive light.

K

Kith Kanan

LOL at the peopel thinking EA could make anything clear...except there pee maybe....

L

LeeHarvey

LOL at the peopel thinking EA could make anything clear...except there pee maybe....
What? Huh?
Ive read this three times and I have no idea what you are trying to say. I'm not even going to hazard a guess. Wow you'd think someone who was pancakes about communication could put together an understandable statement.

A

Amathist of PoC

And attitudes like that do not help, this thread is not about the customer service it is simply about trying to get an explination on the TOS that are already in place. It is not an EA Mythic bashing thread.

If you do not have anything to add to the thread please just do not comment.

I am going to try and email customer service today and see if I get a response there as Jermey was unable or could not answer my private message here on stratics and no one has been able to take the time to respond to the thread.

F

Flora Green

Amathist,

Jeremy doesn't do PM's. She has stated to contact her via e-mail (which I am too lazy to find for you, sorry), but I KNOW others can help you. It may even be in a sticky at the top of the page. Perhaps you will get a response from her that way, perhaps not. I seriously doubt you will get a reply on the boards though as questions tend to go unanswered for weeks at a time. And when we do get answers they are sketchy at best. :( Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we don't need a response, just shut down the web site and develop a quality in-game vendor search system that is fair to hones buyers and shop owners.

at least report the person who runs the site to the IRS. he probably doesn't pay his taxes.

L

Lord Drakelord

Amathist,

Jeremy doesn't do PM's. She has stated to contact her via e-mail (which I am too lazy to find for you, sorry), but I KNOW others can help you. It may even be in a sticky at the top of the page. Perhaps you will get a response from her that way, perhaps not. I seriously doubt you will get a reply on the boards though as questions tend to go unanswered for weeks at a time. And when we do get answers they are sketchy at best. :( Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
jdalberg AT ea DOT com.

A

Amathist of PoC

we don't need a response, just shut down the web site and develop a quality in-game vendor search system that is fair to hones buyers and shop owners.

at least report the person who runs the site to the IRS. he probably doesn't pay his taxes.
This thread is NOT about the sites that are clearly wrong to use...because they are wrong no dispute. It has moved on to be about what sites are okay to use if any and to ask for a clarification of the TOS.

As we have stated it seems unfair to lump all sites into the same basket as those that are clearly breaking the TOS as there are those who are trying to build the community and share information and clearly cause no harm.

Amathist,

Jeremy doesn't do PM's. She has stated to contact her via e-mail (which I am too lazy to find for you, sorry), but I KNOW others can help you. It may even be in a sticky at the top of the page. Perhaps you will get a response from her that way, perhaps not. I seriously doubt you will get a reply on the boards though as questions tend to go unanswered for weeks at a time. And when we do get answers they are sketchy at best. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
Thank you Flora Green I will try and track down her email and message her that way...I have still not given up hope. Surely if enough players show interest in having this cleared up something will be done to give us an answer its basic customer service I do not even mind if they just add it to the FoF.

A

Amathist of PoC

Here is a copy of the email I just sent to the address Lord Drakelord gave :-

Friday 15th August 2008

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for reading my email I am sure you get thousands. I am not sure if you are aware but with recent actions against people's accounts the TOS have come up for discussion on the U-Hall Stratics boards (here is the thread - http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=802003#post802003 ). This is not a dispute about the actions taken against peoples accounts but a call for clarification of the TOS so that no further accounts are banned.

The clarification is needed for the simple fact that everyone seems to have there own opinion on what certain sections of the TOS mean. Some say that it is against the TOS to advertise ALL sites, other say it is acceptable to mention sites that are community building in nature and not in any way harmful such as whispering rose radio or the lost lands or stratics or even guild websites. We need to know what exactly is true and hope that you can help us in this matter. Some people even fear now saying the words ICQ incase it is classed as a third party program..this may seem like a little bit of hysteria because of recent banning's BUT I still feel clarification is needed. People really want a clear cut answer as to what is acceptable and what is not.

Best wishes and kind regards
Penny
AKA - Amathist Guild Leader of PoC Oceania

W

Wraith One

Actually, this doesn't just relate to saying a url outloud. You can't write it in a book, mark a rune and label it, speak it, write it on your house sign. The person who got the 24 hour ban, was just easier to trace.

A

Amathist of PoC

Actually, this doesn't just relate to saying a url outloud. You can't write it in a book, mark a rune and label it, speak it, write it on your house sign. The person who got the 24 hour ban, was just easier to trace.
Your totally right, it is not just saying it aloud we need clarification on we also need it for placing the URL on bulliten boards, House Signs, Runes and in Books or even in your character profile.

A

Amathist of PoC

There has been rumour of a delay to FoF perhaps this is because they are trying to answer our questions? Or to come up with a solution?

L

Lord Drakelord

Thank you for the email address Lord Drakelord but as yet no answer - I hope it was the right address....does anyone else have any others I could forward the email too?
Your very welcome, its is as far as I know. I email her at that address regarding a new player being banned for carrying a bug quiver, and she reply to me asking that the person in question email her. As for that problem, let say if you have a bug quiver, don't page a GM to come fix it, toss it in the trash can.

A

Amathist of PoC

Well I waited for the FoF and there was no answer to these questions which was a little disheartening. I still have not recieved a pm or an email from Jeremy does anyone else have an email addy I can send the letter to other staff members of EA Mythic.

Please keep your questions and support for the thread comming, I believe we deserve an answer its the least they could do as customer support.

A

Amathist of PoC

Hey, how about a better solution: don't use sites that violate the ToS.
I agree with this but still wish they would clarify the TOS so that we know what sites do and do not go against it.

As some have stated it would be so sad if those sites designed to help players and bring community together are not aloud to be mentioned for fear of being banned.

I am still waiting for a reply from someone from EA Mythic, was disappointed that FoF had nothing about the ToS questions.

A

Amathist of PoC

**bumping as I am still awaiting an answer from EA Mythic***

and yet more bannings and suspentions are happening without any word from them not even in the FoF.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally think that it's a huge waste of GM resources.

How many of us have paged GM's to wait for hours and then not even get to talk to one, yet someone says a URL in game and poof a GM appears??

There are so many more important issues with the game right now, but I guess this truly is typical for EA.

I would swear they have filters in their ears that say the exact opposite of what someone is telling them :loser:

V

Vyrquenox

Has nothing to do with freedom of speech It has to do with who owns UO and who sets up the rules for the game. If they dont want urls or certain words being said in the game that is their choice not ours, but they need to make it crystal clear on what words are not allowed to be said.

People toss around the tern "freedom of speech" pretty flippantly without knowing what it means. Like those idiots that stand up during a speech and start yelling obnoxiously and then complain that they got kicked out of the event because they were just exercising their free speech. You can't yell "Fire" in a crowded theater. You can be kicked out of an event if you are being disruptive.

You can most certainly be kicked out of a game server for violating their rules.
Also, all of us Americans need to remember the consitution doesn't apply to the entire world, and certainly does not force itself on a private club's rules for admittance. That being said, it is the reponsibility of members of said club to say something about idiocy.

L

Lord Drakelord

Well this scare me even more with the banning of having the uoguide in your profile, because they also were selling a ingame item on the site, the person got a 24 hour banning. Guild sites alway have players leaving UO and coming back, many selling accounts, many buying account for real dollars are posted on those guild forums. So if you have a guild site in your profile or speak the URL in game you are guilty of selling UO items. PAS has been around for over 10yrs, and in all that time I never have been scare to tell someone where to go to fine the URL.

Now if someone ask how to get to it, I tell them to icq me, email, or goggle it.

A

Amathist of PoC

Well this scare me even more with the banning of having the uoguide in your profile, because they also were selling a ingame item on the site, the person got a 24 hour banning. Guild sites alway have players leaving UO and coming back, many selling accounts, many buying account for real dollars are posted on those guild forums. So if you have a guild site in your profile or speak the URL in game you are guilty of selling UO items. PAS has been around for over 10yrs, and in all that time I never have been scare to tell someone where to go to fine the URL.

Now if someone ask how to get to it, I tell them to icq me, email, or goggle it.

Not ALL guild sites sell items for money sorry thats just not true. According to the GM conversation in the thread MY FIRST 24 hour ban - guild sites are acceptable.

HOWEVER still waiting to have EA mythic confirm or deny this. As well as if it is even allowed to say ICQ as it is a third party program or GOOGLE or I guess even email....who knows how far they are taking it.

L

Lord Drakelord

Not ALL guild sites sell items for money sorry thats just not true. According to the GM conversation in the thread MY FIRST 24 hour ban - guild sites are acceptable.

HOWEVER still waiting to have EA mythic confirm or deny this. As well as if it is even allowed to say ICQ as it is a third party program or GOOGLE or I guess even email....who knows how far they are taking it.

What gets me is that one person was banned for having UOguild in his profile, but look at what was here on the FoF.

L

Limlight

Are you whining for Link (JC the Builder)

Also, I know someone with a Tailor named after a website...

Even includes the www.

lol

L

Lord Drakelord

Are you whining for Link (JC the Builder)

Also, I know someone with a Tailor named after a website...

Even includes the www.

lol
No, I am mainly concern about guild sites, if we have a link to UOGuild, which is a great aid in game, which even the FoF pointed out during the council event, and post the URL for our guild site in our profile will we get a 24 hour banning, or what about selling accounts for real cash at these guild sites, if we post the link in our profile to the site and someone is selling a account for cash, will we get banned? What about speaking the URL to our guild site in game, will we be banned for telling someone the URL in game? These are my concerns now.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't want to bash or attack Whispering Rose Radio in any way, but there is obviously something not right with the current policy. UOGuide has absolutely no advertisements or links to sites selling items or gold, just a little shop that currently only sells items I have collected personally and those sales go towards supporting UOGuide.

Then you have WRR which is plastered with advertisements for RMT sites. There are 5 on the main page alone, including one to a vendor search site. The town hall before last there were a million advertisements in the radio stream for brokers and item sellers. Some of these item sellers have had accounts banned multiple times.

So if I created a separate website and simply linked to that, it would be completely fine. But it is a huge no-no to do what is currently done.

:wall::wall::wall:

O

Old Man of UO

And how many houses have you seen with the house sign posting "For Sale" requesting real gold, with web links, other links, or even ICQ numbers. Is it legal to put ICQ account numbers on your paper doll's profile, especially if you are offering items for sale? Can you put items for sale on your profile for RL dollars? I've seen all of these over the last 10+ years.

I used to be a Companion and had some of the now "illegal" links posted on my profile as a quick reference for new players to get some very valuable information... I double checked to make sure that I don't any more.

I am as confused as ever...

A

Amathist of PoC

As I have said my questions are not about dupers or suspect sites or any site selling items or gold for real money they are breaking the TOS clearly.

My concern is for Guild Websites like my own and my allies - we use them to recurit members they must fill out an application on the site before guilding. Plus we use icq to keep track of everyone now I have high council members myself included that do not want to utter any url or even say the word ICQ just incase it is concidered a 3rd party program.

We just want a clear answer as to what is and what is not allowed because so many people say different things. Some say the TOS means ALL sites no exceptions, others say Guild sites are fine (have even seen a journal blog where a GM said the guild site was fine) and other say they have been banned for having a guild site.....so I just want a clear answer for the safty of myself and my guild members accounts.

We would also like to know if it is ok to put guild urls in profiles along with icq numbers. I have pmed, emailed, posted and now I am trying again to get an answer.