2014 Expectations in Dev production for the UO player

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Thank you Kyronix for that bit of great info ... now this is what many of us would like to see more of.
I can understand that giving us a heads up is hard based on what could go wrong especialy if players antisapate it and its fails to show up...
Could you also look into making the bod books almost the same as the pink and blue? I mean i'd love to have my tailor be able ot lock her books down on the table and still be able to add bods, hold it too and get out and put in bods, and have it be only 1 stone and count on her as 1 item no matter how many bods are in the book. Having this would take so much lag out of the game its not funny.
As I mentioned above, I just hope that we won't have to lock down BOD books in order to use them!! Going to be pretty steamed if that happens....

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 14, 2008
Not here any more
I just wanted to correct something I said the other day:

"I still have to deal with the pink fuzz from the neighbor's cherry tree elevated on goza's overshadowing the interior of one of my houses on Atlantic and I deleted a char and made a new one to save on name change fees and now she can't access a house the account she's on is co-owned to, though all the other chars can. I don't really have much hope but it would be nice if these pain in the butt nuisance issues would be fixed."

The giant pink fuzz from the neighbor's cherry tree that is elevated on gozas is still overshadowing the interior of my house, still a pain in the butt nuisance, but apparently the new character I made on a spare account wasn't accessed to my main house because that spare account had never been co-owned.

Once I had that account and my main up at the same time I couldn't find any characters co-owned on the spare account, apparently they'd all just been friended by a co-owner on a third account. So, making a new character on an account AFTER co-owning that account to a house is NOT an issue I have.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 24, 2012
Herndon, VA
As I mentioned above, I just hope that we won't have to lock down BOD books in order to use them!! Going to be pretty steamed if that happens....
I don't see why we would need to do that with BODs...the only reason the others require it is so you can't drop the pinks and blues into a a book at a spawn and have them free and clear since those items are blessed, so nothing to fear!

Last edited:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
1. Tone up the inside of all the [containers]
Yes.
2. Bod Books, 1 stone/1 lockdown 500 bod limit, useable when locked down
They need to be usable in backpack
3. Ore and Lumber Spots. Making them back to a set location.
I don't really craft enough to have a vote on this anymore. Imbuing base items is so important and my stockpile is too high. I use veteran rewards to collect random logs and I don't think I'll ever need to actively lumberjack again, although for BODs, I do still mine.
4. The Gift Giving... Making things a bit more of a randomization.
I'm ok with the gifts, for the most part. I do think they should give us account bound items sometimes, rather than per character items, though. Like, what are we supposed to do with 7 dye tubs on one account? I think everyone in the game has a house, so it's hard to really understand the purpose of duplicate items like that (especially when people end up cross sharding 7, 14, etc. more).
5. NPC Vendor's need to carry more...
This change might actually be the most simple change, but I would start with 100 rather than 500 for select items. Buy 100, get 200 next time, up to 999. Honestly, it doesn't take all that long to work a vendor spawn, and it's a good system. The way it is now, there's a reason to farm faction vendors, which I think is a cool thing. Also, why should this game make hoarding easier? I know why hoarding is appealing, I do it all the time, but if you can just buy 500 of everything from the get go, that's kind of a drastic change from 20. That's a 2,400% base stock increase.
6. Bod Rewards and usefull items.
Yes. Updated rewards would be good.
7. Revisit old quests and one by one fix them so they are using the same questing system that we have now. Remove the old quest system one by one.
I agree but disagree, because the old quest system still works. There's something nice about going to Victoria to finish the Gauntlet quest. Would be nice to see them revamp the quests, but that's a lot of code to hack. Rather, I would like to see new quests, simple ones, for different means. Like, for example, kill 25 Lizardmen, get a free t-shirt. /sarcasm but seriously, simple kill quests. In addition, more titles based on achievements/quests would be nice.
8. Update graphics more.
Agree...but probably more of an EC concern. In 2D, we often run into the problem of the art assets not quite matching the old art :/...
9. I'd like to see a book for holiday deeds... and Anniversary deeds.
Sounds good to me if done right :)

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
As a matter of fact, we culled that thread not long ago and ranked all the tweaks and suggestions by the number of "likes" each received. In future publishes we plan to implement some of them, please remember though that while something may seem "very very small" on the surface that may not be the case on the back end. Here were the top five...

1. Serpents pillar to Tokuno
2. 100% mining success at 105, increased rare gem spawn
3. Turn books into pulp
4. A mega dye tub to dye cloth and leather all available colors
5. Increased BoD UI function
I don't like idea #4 because then individual tubs are pointless...but the rest are good to me :)

Reactions: Smoot

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
I don't like idea #4 because then individual tubs are pointless...but the rest are good to me :)
Actually as far as #4 is concerned... what we want is to be able to dye cloth all the colors which includes the colors of metal that the Leather dye tubs do...... I don't care really about a "mega tub" so to speak as much as I would like the cloth and leather dye tubs to be able to dye BOTH cloth and Leather ALL the Available colors. For YEARS people had dye tubs that would do that. But for some unknown reason when we received the one white tub and folk fixed it to dye cloth suddenly it was BAD and all the old tubs were destroyed. Honestly I have no idea what it hurts to be able to dye things more colors.... Who does it hurt?

So the point is just to let us dye things. Rather like how irritating it is that you can't dye cloth at all with the super expensive turn in dyes yet I can make Gargoyle armor out of cloth..... imbue it etc.... and then dye it cut it up and then have the cloth. Rather dumb don't you think? I fail to see why I can't just dye what I want the color I want..... If I want to waste a charge from my bottle of dye on a pile of 60k cloth then by Gods I ought to be able to dye the freaking cloth. It's not like what I make from the cloth would have ANY special powers what-so-ever...... just my point.

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
Thank You Kyronix for your explanation of why the pinks and blues book need the lock down to use.. it makes sense.
I was pretty sure that was the reason Tina, but wanted the expert to do the honors if they could.
Locking down the Bods book should be only for your use not manditory. I like the idea of having my sort book locked down for all my bod collectors to drop off the bods for sorting. Would super help my tailors, along with cutting the books to 1 lockdown / 1 stone.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2004
Awards
if I'm not here I'm there
As a matter of fact, we culled that thread not long ago and ranked all the tweaks and suggestions by the number of "likes" each received. In future publishes we plan to implement some of them, please remember though that while something may seem "very very small" on the surface that may not be the case on the back end. Here were the top five...

3. Turn books into pulp
Maybe I don't understand the dye tub idea, but wouldn't that take away from the people who put time and effort into creating the natural dyes?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
Maybe I don't understand the dye tub idea, but wouldn't that take away from the people who put time and effort into creating the natural dyes?
NO see my post above. It is just meaning for the cloth and leather tubs to work on both cloth and leather... That is what we want. To dye leather and cloth all those colors with both dye tubs. No matter the material... I want to dye cloth to match leather and leather to match cloth.... IE Bring back the ability to have leather dyed in the bright colors of the cloth dye tub and be able to dye cloth the lovely colors to match my leather. Nothing against Natural dyes at all.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Feb 25, 2010
How about a dye tub that doesn't do everything, but at least leather dye tub colors on cloth?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 24, 2012
Herndon, VA
I should have mentioned this generic disclaimer...that list was merely a ranking of what we culled and ranked from the "Tweaks and Suggestions" thread and is by no means an indication of what may or may not happen. That being said it gives us an excellent springboard for new and novel content as well as identifies areas where it'd be worth some time to take a look or maybe augment something already in play....so keep 'em coming! :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
I should have mentioned this generic disclaimer...that list was merely a ranking of what we culled and ranked from the "Tweaks and Suggestions" thread and is by no means an indication of what may or may not happen. That being said it gives us an excellent springboard for new and novel content as well as identifies areas where it'd be worth some time to take a look or maybe augment something already in play....so keep 'em coming! :D
Yes I already asked Mesanna earlier about a couple things I would like to see done for Bulletin Boards. This includes the ones that are for Governors and those we make for our own homes. I would like to see 2 major changes for them to make them FAR more useful.

1. I'd like the thing to change colors for the "owner" or "Governor" when there is a new unread message on it. Something you haven't read. This would help dramatically.
2. I would like to be able to write at least 2X the text on them. It needs to be a MUCH bigger area to write in. Currently you can hardly put one tiny sentence in there so to say anything worth saying you have to actually make 3 posts or more.

Reactions: Minerva Foxglove

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 19, 2008
May I push again for a carpenter menue that makes sence? Its sooo many items its hard to find lots of things. The main menue is ok-ish. Now with all expansions and the items in no alphabetical order but added at the bottom for every new expansion people need to know what furny came with what expansion.
There is one line for Misc add ons and another for Furniture and a third for Other. Most deeded furny are under Misc but some are under furny. Some deeds are under containers and its not the first place you look for an elven wash basin .. Elven podium is a furny and music stand is "other". A dress form is a misc add on..
Wather trough is under "tailoring and cooking"..most use them for stables or plant containers.
Also with pictures missing on more and more items, its hard to know what you will get when you click for item.

And a last thing, south and east on top is totally random. Old items have south on top but you always have to look carefully to make the right direction. I would be happier with more turnable items. People that buys from my vendor or asks for some item often dont know the difference before they try to place the deed and have to go back and buy the other direction or catch me again.

Please?:confused:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Lady Storm, you asked for itty bitty, easy changes. So here's another one that is extremely trivial. When you're doing the Hag's Quest, it would be nice if greater chickens were recognized as chickens when you have to gather chicken gizzards. As it is now, though, only chickens are recognized. Killing greater chickens doesn't count.

I know this is really trivial, but maybe posting it will prompt people to think of other things related to doing quests that need a bit of minor tweaking to make them work more smoothly.

hags quest chicken gizzards.jpg

Reactions: Dot_Warner

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 2, 2003

3. Turn books into pulp

Well, good to see some progress here.

My thoughts here are #2 and #5 will be very valuable.
#1 is medium value
#3 and #4 is low value

There are a ton of ways to dye items and the color of items never helped me fight a monster, complete an event etc. Its pure vanity functionality. Turning books to pulp are just a way for people to make use of the books that the gold sites drop on the ground. Not really high value.

The bod and mining changes I feel are most important because they are the foundation for making armor and weapons which are KEY to many parts of the game. I don't understand why some of the other items like your blessed clothes re-equiping on death and things that affect EVERYONE are not higher on the list. Dying, rezzing, clicking corpse then dying again because my 4 blessed items don't equp is very frustrating. Not being able to turn books into pulp is not very important.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 2, 2003

3. Turn books into pulp

And here you go - my consolidated list with number of likes which would be my next publish. Some of these don't seem very hard like reducing weight of imbuing ingred or changing the color of pet damage dealt vs incurred in the 2d client and affect gameplay/reduce frustration :

Bod Books [13 Likes]
* Make them take less lockdowns (like scroll of trans book) so we dont' have to resort to filling vendors with them
* Make them auto sort alphabetically or give an option for alpha sort
* Add a 'price all' option to the book so whatever 'sort' is currently shown - you can price all bod books at once
* Allow the adding/removing of bods from the book while locked down

Imbuing Ingredients [9 Likes]
-----------------------
Reduce the weight of imbuing ingredients - 1 stone per relic/essance/residue is too much. More like 10 to 1 ratio is better given you have to consume so many

Mining [16 Likes]
-----------
* At 105 mining - you should smelt 100%. You made it harder to find higher end ores - no sense in taking half on smelt as well. Leather doesn't do this on cutting, trees don't do this on logs to boards - why ingots?
* The rare gems (blue diamonds, ecru citrines etc) do not drop fast enough during mining. Given you need 10 to make a special ring and only 1/5 or so get the 'special' mod it takes you 50-100 to get one special ring. Increase drop rate x 5. No reason these have to be so rare.

Misc [11 Likes]
----------
* Allow auto equip of items when clicking corpse even if corpse is empty (all items insured)
* Allow auto equip of blessed items as well as insured.
* When a monster flags you as in the heat of battle - killing said monster should end this and allow auto log.
* When you recall successfully to a different server - all heat of battle timer should end.
* Open bankbox should not close when I get off my mount

Taming[9 Likes]
-------------
* Controlling animals should give possible taming gain and/or animal commanded to kill and successfully killing an animal or person. Taming an animal should not be the only way to gain. Controlling a tame should give a chance at taming so you could hunt and gain skill.
* Pet damage dealt and recieved in 2d client should be different colors or selectable colors in the UI. Right now they are both the same. This is counter productive.

Community Collections[7 Likes]
--------------------------
* Having separate turn in person for each type of item and giving the exact same rewards except for different high end glasses is a waste. Combine them to one turn in person with all glasses available.
* Allow higher end turn ins such as minor artifacts, artifacts etc for higher points (5k for minor, 25k for major artifact etc). Turning in 66,000 bronze shields only favors scripters. No one is going to hunt to get these shields - they either craft or buy them to turn in.
* Make the gold ratio more realistic. 15 to 1 is too high. It favors scripters turning in shields for mace and shields (only takes like 3.5m gold of shields). Make gold 1pt to 7gp and you will create a gold sink and kill scripting. 4.2m for mace and shield via gold and people will pay it.

Gifts [10 Likes]
------
* Add the year to all holiday gift tickets so we can tell them apart.
* Make Heritage tokens stackable - in fact, make all tokens stackable.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
Ohio
1. Create a better system for storing bods - 1 book with 600 bods = 1 lockdown
2. Allow bod books to be usable from locked down position.
3. Create a better sorting method for bod books
4. Allow PoFs to be combined
5. Stealables - make locations either random or times more random.
6. Boss's and high end drops - use a point system instead of the rng.
7. T-hunters loot needs revamped
8. Fishing loot needs revamped

Just a few of the items that popped in my head.. Sure they have already been said in previous posts..

Reactions: MalagAste

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
Still think we need a "saw" that allows us to saw entire stacks of logs into boards so we don't have to put a few in our pack at a time and cut them just a few at a time as this takes FOREVER!.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
Ohio
To add to that saw, what about the ability to cut bolts of cloth that are in a container.. I buy large quantities of bolted cloth, then have to drag 90 bolts at a time out - cut - put back and repeat..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
To add to that saw, what about the ability to cut bolts of cloth that are in a container.. I buy large quantities of bolted cloth, then have to drag 90 bolts at a time out - cut - put back and repeat..
Think you need some sort of "Folding" Table or something for that.

I mean if you are a cook you have a lovely basket that adds to the cooking, Woodworkers get a woodworking bench which by the way I think ought to cut logs into wood.... Miners get gloves which SHOULD give you a 100% smelting bonus at 105.... So what do Tailors get? Boot to the head. I'd like a Spinning wheel with a basket that if you put the wool in the basket it will spin it all and put it in one nice stack. I'd like a Loom with the same concept..... and a folding table to neatly combine cloth. You could put the three things together as a Weavers Bench.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
Tina thats exactly what i meant... small changes.. and that certinly counts as a small change in my book. Why they didnt add them in that idk... were greater chickens around when it was coded? if not should not be that big a deal to fix.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
I know this has been posted elsewhere recently, but I would appreciate it if certain in-game events/tasks/quests that can only be done "once per day" would have their timer reset at shard maintenance, rather than 24 hours "and then some" after they were last performed. It would just make it easier to figure out when you can do something again, without having to remember when you actually did something with a particular character on the previous day, especially if you are doing some of the things listed below with multiple characters on multiple shards.

Here are some of the things that I think would become more convenient for players and maybe more popular to do if their "availability reset time" was server maintenance instead of 24 hours after they were last completed:
  • Sacrificing a character's fame to a lich or demon to gain in sacrifice virtue.
  • Gaining in compassion virtue from NPC escorts.
  • Starting on a puzzle board or the puzzle room in the Underworld.
  • Maturation of chicken lizard eggs that are inside of an incubator.
  • Replenishment of vet rewards that give a resource every day, e.g., gem carts, tree stumps, advanced tinkered golems. (There's a possibility these already replenish at server maintenance, but the only info I can find says they replenish every 24 hours.)
  • Tier 3 quests from Percolem (It Makes Me Sick; It's a Mad, Mad World; and The Dreamers).
  • Tier 3 quests from Zosilem (Pure Valorite; and The Forbidden Fruit).
I suspect there may be some other similar activities that I've overlooked, so hopefully people will add them if so.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 14, 2008
Not here any more
Since we've been asked...

In my opinion, the best bod book + bod fix was from FrejaSp:

"Rather changes the BoD system, so we don't need to store all this BoDs, Changes large bods, so you can add small BoDs before you fill them and then add the item after directe to the large BoD. That would make my head hurt less when trying to do BoDs. I really dislike the BoD system, as it keep players away from interacing.
I would like a change more, sell blank BoDs, where a customer can a list of item he need, that be imbued armor or maybe furnitures, like 6 tables, 24 chairs, 20 chests, 40 black gosa. Then give it to a crafter. The crafter can then fill the PC-BoD and put it on vendor for the customer. When the customer get it, he can open it and get the items just like when you get items from a community deed. I know the armor will be a problem as the PC-BoD need to remembers resist and mods."

I thought the biggest issue with locked down bod books was we can friend all our characters from our other accounts to the locked down bod book, and friends can drop bods in, but can not take bods out?

I confess all my bod books are on vendors, so haven't tried this in a while.

Personally as an idocer I sometimes pick up bod books from fallen vendors that have sale prices preset, I'd like an erase button to erase all those sale prices with a single click, currently I have to drop each then re-add them back to the book to remove the price, and on the flip side of that, a single button to reset the price of every bod in the book with a single click.

Dyes: to everyone who thinks dyes are unimportant, some of us would like to have unique looking characters, so the more dyes the better to that end. No to the mega tub, but yes to being able to match! So we do need all dyes in all colors that can dye all things. No more artifact only crap dyes, please. Maybe allow us to craft the new dyes then recolor an existing tub, so crafted dye in leather hues could be added to an existing cloth tub, etc. Crafted cloth hues could be added to an existing leather tub...

I'm still wanting a unique looking pet monkey that can sit on our shoulder, help fire a cannon and go fetch things, but only for those who have completed a pirate quest, some of the rewards along the way for that quest being pirate clothing.

New clothing, new hair styles, new skin colors, new hair dyes, and something we had once years ago on Test Sosaria, dyed backpacks on our paperdolls, so that would need backpack dyes. I am still wanting pet dyes of course.

We could have a special color removal button that allows others to live in a grayed out Sosaria if that's what they want.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
I must whole heartedly agree with Hen... getting frostwood is near impossible.. the hours to find just one spot is enough to discourage players from it and as for amber.... its so rare to get it from trees, you are better off trying for the shards of pottery or the book pages to get the Ter Mur bags of gems.

Kyronix the small stuff we here have put forth is not vital but aimed to keep us in the game. Small tweeks or changes might be the only way some can see for a reason to stay. Fustration takes it's toll on player numbers. I hear so much complaints when I travel to each shard I have characters on, the over all complaints is small stuff.
I am not saying there is not many who want things that are more then they look in work and aproval by the high powers might be not in sight.

Look into the ore and wood distribution... and respawn... drop rate of amber and gems
You must admit some of the bod reward table is moot an perhaps a rotation of new items added in might be a better way to refresh intrest.
With changing the Bod books to a single lockdown/1 stone and useable if locked down is a good start..
I for one would love a easer menu to pull out bods and group them for use. I wont hold my breath for it but its nice thought.
AT the moment to even use the books to their full capasity you must strip your character down to their skivies and empty their pack to even hold the book much less to pull out a bod......

Oh and one more thing that bugs the hell out of players is the bit about casters of any of the masterys... a 120 who is a legendary fails miserably at a simple gate spell, or simular in the others while a 90ish player does it flawlessly.... this has become the #1 pet peve of every mage in the game.

Same with failing to smelt ore ...... come on a player who has the +5 and have smelted agapite with no problems cant do gold if their life depended on it? There is no 120 miner so GM is as far as we get and that should be good enough with the +5 to fairly smelt val or verite at a higher yeld. If you take the hours to find it or work it up to a deceint pile and you loose 1/2 of the total left each miss ... do you honestly think players will keep doing it?

It was the # 1 reason I saw the scripters make money. They took advantage of the short comings of players luck in getting these items in the game. They wouldnt have been so prolific had the average player been able to procure these items on their own and been able to keep most of what they hunted for. Mind you i am not saying give 100%, some loss is acceptable. But to loose at the max level of a skill so much is down right seen as a punishment for hard work.

I too would like to see account based points for things like the library in brit turn in... might even be good to do Clean up points too in this.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 3, 2004
Tyria
Actually, the best expectations for 2014 let the Devs do what is needed before they add stuff on top of what they are already doing now.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
I must whole heartedly agree with Hen... getting frostwood is near impossible.. the hours to find just one spot is enough to discourage players from it and as for amber.... its so rare to get it from trees, you are better off trying for the shards of pottery or the book pages to get the Ter Mur bags of gems.

Kyronix the small stuff we here have put forth is not vital but aimed to keep us in the game. Small tweeks or changes might be the only way some can see for a reason to stay. Fustration takes it's toll on player numbers. I hear so much complaints when I travel to each shard I have characters on, the over all complaints is small stuff.
I am not saying there is not many who want things that are more then they look in work and aproval by the high powers might be not in sight.

Look into the ore and wood distribution... and respawn... drop rate of amber and gems
You must admit some of the bod reward table is moot an perhaps a rotation of new items added in might be a better way to refresh intrest.
With changing the Bod books to a single lockdown/1 stone and useable if locked down is a good start..
I for one would love a easer menu to pull out bods and group them for use. I wont hold my breath for it but its nice thought.
AT the moment to even use the books to their full capasity you must strip your character down to their skivies and empty their pack to even hold the book much less to pull out a bod......

Oh and one more thing that bugs the hell out of players is the bit about casters of any of the masterys... a 120 who is a legendary fails miserably at a simple gate spell, or simular in the others while a 90ish player does it flawlessly.... this has become the #1 pet peve of every mage in the game.

Same with failing to smelt ore ...... come on a player who has the +5 and have smelted agapite with no problems cant do gold if their life depended on it? There is no 120 miner so GM is as far as we get and that should be good enough with the +5 to fairly smelt val or verite at a higher yeld. If you take the hours to find it or work it up to a deceint pile and you loose 1/2 of the total left each miss ... do you honestly think players will keep doing it?

It was the # 1 reason I saw the scripters make money. They took advantage of the short comings of players luck in getting these items in the game. They wouldnt have been so prolific had the average player been able to procure these items on their own and been able to keep most of what they hunted for. Mind you i am not saying give 100%, some loss is acceptable. But to loose at the max level of a skill so much is down right seen as a punishment for hard work.

I too would like to see account based points for things like the library in brit turn in... might even be good to do Clean up points too in this.

All of this is true and lets also not forget Fishing and what a freaking joke it is to get "rare" fish..... there is "rare" and then there is "stupid rare"..... Most of the drops and such in UO are in the "Stupid Rare" category..... and honestly it is enough to make folk HATE doing things..... Of course that feeds the scripter trade because NO ONE in their right mind would want to spend 4 days trying to get enough frostwood to make something decent... Or trying to get enough Valorite Stone to craft a stinking thing... Not to mention the second you try you will waste half of what you've got when you fail! Which you will do more often than not.

And so paying a duper/scripter to get the needed supplies for you becomes well quite frankly.... very, very hard to resist.

And I'll add... I like many others like to think of myself as "self sufficient" ...... which I sure as hoot can't be when it'd take me all week to fix what I do in one night of "fun". Rezing folk at EM events is like killing me because I lose sooo much of my virtues I have to spend hours reworking them up..... and that's on just ONE character...... God forbid I should want to play more than one and have them be half-ass decent....

Last edited:

kulder

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 12, 2001
The question is do they know what is needed, I like a majority of the idea's put forth on this page but ho many will be used I personally think were in semi -maintenance mode

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
May 18, 2012
charleston, SC
My suggestion would be to scatter random easter eggs that could be anywhere or on any creature to give an incentive to revisit all the old lands and dungeons, because you just never know what might pop up. I won't say what the easter eggs might be, but something that players would want. This would make exploring great fun, and it would give us players a reason to once again see all the great scenes and places that have been created and then forgotten.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Please add a "tab" to the bottom of the MIB (message in a bottle) display, like there is on the Skill list and the journal, so you can change the length of the MIB display.

MIB display.jpg

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
Oh yes! i agree with you on this one Tina...

This list is for the Dev to read and get our wishes for small fixes that can be done ...not that they have to do it but we know the workings of the game and have found it lacking.. some fetures Kyronix has said are interesting and stealable.... I hope he has been taking notes and shares them with the whole Dev team...
Easter is coming around the corner so to speak.... how about letting us dye our sleeping hamsters and perhaps a bunny box we can display for jewelry with slots like the seed box?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 9, 2009
Yew Gate on LS, Atl, Chessy, & GL likely in a
New loot system rolled out to the rest of the game, t-maps/sos'.

All quests converted to the same quest-system.

All spell-casting schools converted to magery spell-system (remove anti-overcasting).

Added party options for loot (group-loot/free-for-all).

Oh, and allow weapon-specials to be toggled while casting spells Again.

I hope I'm not expecting too much :D.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Nov 4, 2011
Curitiba, Brazil
I've posted this in another thread, but I think it might be worthy repeating it.

I'd like to see a better new player experience.

Give them better starting equipment, for Odin's sake. Giving out a LRC suit with 50s resists wouldn't hurt anyone.
Add a tutorial that explains the ropes on the EC and CC for new players and a proper low level dungeon at Haven Mine with three levels where they can adventure, train and make some coin:
Level 1 would old level 2 Despise with Ettins and lizard men.
Level 2 would be old Shame level 2 with earth elementals, dull copper elementals and the odd water elemental or two to teach new players how to deal with casting monsters.
Level 3 would be old Despise level 3, with ettins, trolls, ogres, ogre lords. But instead of the acid elemental and the titan, it would have two bosses with two different drop mechanics so the new comers would learn how stuff works in our world. One would drop arties/points/stuff for trade like the current minax arties. The other would have a chance to drop one of the arties they could buy with the points from the other one. The bosses area would allow for faster skill gain from 80 up to 100 skill.
Make one of them a caster so they have to learn how to deal with stronger casting mobs.

Arties for sale/drop would be lesser version of the currently sought arties that compliment armour.
Lesser tangle with 5 int, mr 1
Lesser crimmy with 2 dex and 5 HPI
Talisman with 5 HCI
Talisman with 5 DCI
Talisman with 5 SDI
Full mage/mystic/necro spellbook with 10 SDI
Nice selection of weapons
Cloaks
Robes, Etc

And so on. Stuff that would be useful for a newcomer and that would also give them a sense of accomplishment for what they are doing.
Which would in turn resulting in a larger attachment rate among newcomers...

Right now we just give them a wood stick and toss them to the wolves. "If you survive, you are worthy to play our game" is what the current new player experience feels like, at least in my opinion.
We tell them nothing, specially with the CC (which lacks even the barest bones of a tutorial that the EC gives) and leave them alone in the cold forest to see if the wolves won't eat them...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Two requests related to doing fishing quests:
  1. Can we please have the ability to move the fishing quest crates around within the hold? I don't want to be able to put them inside other containers, but it sure would be nice to able to shove them around to make everything easier to see. As it is now, as soon as you get one of these quest crates, it's permanently stuck to a spot in the hold of your boat and you can't move it anywhere. And if there's another one sitting very close to it and you've maxed out on quests by taking one from every possible fish monger in the facet, you can end up with some that you can't see.
  2. Can we please see what a fishing quest's requirements are when offered and have the ability to turn it down after seeing the requirements? As with turning down smithing and tailoring BODs offered by smithing and tailoring NPCs, if you turned down a fishing quest offer, you'd have to wait a certain amount of time before being able to request another one. It would sure beat getting stuck with quests you have no reasonable expectation of ever being able to fill.

Reactions: Riyana

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
Just had a flash of insight as to why some of my fellow players are a bit bored.... they want to go to other shards to explore but hate the bank bit.... ok I know this is a sore subject but I will breach the hill you command and try once more to ask that one question many dread.............

Kyronix ask Mesanna for a consideration that only she can grant... mind you this is not just a idea but i think a real need.

I have barked to roll back the houseing to 1 house per shard for ages...... i have a idea you might go for take a section of malas ..mind you on most shards this is no biggie as malas is striped bare of house's. tracks of plots 7x7s with 2500 lockdowns that can be bought from the origin store for say 20 bucks the code gives you a deed and the loc of the house patch... they can then go to the stone like we had at mag and pick out said house.... 1 per shard limit this excludes the shard they have main house on. EA makes money and we get a second house. The catch is it cant be traded or upgraded. This would give players a foot up on a second shard and give them incentive to play around uo.

As for Atlantic..... well its got some room but as need for players there not so much.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
Just had a flash of insight as to why some of my fellow players are a bit bored.... they want to go to other shards to explore but hate the bank bit.... ok I know this is a sore subject but I will breach the hill you command and try once more to ask that one question many dread.............

Kyronix ask Mesanna for a consideration that only she can grant... mind you this is not just a idea but i think a real need.

I have barked to roll back the houseing to 1 house per shard for ages...... i have a idea you might go for take a section of malas ..mind you on most shards this is no biggie as malas is striped bare of house's. tracks of plots 7x7s with 2500 lockdowns that can be bought from the origin store for say 20 bucks the code gives you a deed and the loc of the house patch... they can then go to the stone like we had at mag and pick out said house.... 1 per shard limit this excludes the shard they have main house on. EA makes money and we get a second house. The catch is it cant be traded or upgraded. This would give players a foot up on a second shard and give them incentive to play around uo.

As for Atlantic..... well its got some room but as need for players there not so much.
What I'd prefer to see would be the idea someone had LONG time ago which was to allow EVERYONE the ability to have up to a 32x32 plot...... so if you had 4 16x16's or whatever to reach your max of 32x32 you could do it and they could be placed anywhere..... NO shard restrictions..... That's what I'd like to see.... Either you have one castle on your account or 6 to 10 small houses... no matter....

If this were implemented I think you'd see a HUGE decrease in the number of castles on many of the less populated shards and a greater number of people using small homes.

And also I would pay 25 bucks or more to have a 32x32 "basement" plot on a black nothing accessible only by a teleporter locked down at my current home. Some sort of door/hatch looking thing that when you double click it if you have permission (has all the current permission settings) you are then "whisked" away to another subserver where your "dungeon" like basement is... complete will dungeon type wall and floor types as well as most of the "current" walls and floors.... a fully customizable "dungeon/Basement".... which would hold the storage of a castle plot in lockdowns and secures. UO could make a killing off it.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
They wont go for it.
Some how some way years ago someone in the works came up with this 1 per account.
Its been drilled in them (meaning the Dev) and in some way they beleave we like it that way no matter what our population is.
I have run into many returning payers that missed this downgrading and they dont understand why.
We were told by the original Dev to go spred to the other shards... this limits you from doing so.
I understand Mesanna will not lift the limit, I guess the nay sayers who fear more then reasonable heads have prevailed.
But a set area in a place on 90% of the shards that is bare as a bald head plotted with small plots no bigger then a postage stamp.
I picked 7x7, its not big by any means but if the storage is 2500 even this size home can be liveable.
If spaced and the land decoed a tad, say with ponds and pretty trees this subdivision will meet even the staunch of us.
When a shard's players disapear from view when the lull starts in play as that set of its population logs out and returns to RL world, some have gone looking for a place more alive to continue their play.... They have to pay for it.
In a way I really wish I had ignored my son's fears and kept the homes I dropped days before the 1 house limit hit. They were by no means big but it today would offer some place to put my junk other then squeezing my bank for every drop of room i can. I AM NOT ALONE. hehe
Ah You and I know it will never happen... the Dev are just about as scared to back track as the scaredy cats here to the same idea.
But I tell you something that they need to fear too...apathy will kill just as bad as taking the risk of doing something about it. Damned if you do Damned if you dont.
I am not for F2P... we dont have the following or the advertising for it. and if you expect EA to do that I got a Bridge in NY to sell you....
We are far from the guilotine most expect but we do need to try to keep those we got.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Okay, here's something else small that it would be nice to see fixed: The "racial abilities" books on our characters' paperdolls says that "elves always have the effect of a full strength Night Sight spell." However, I notice that periodically things get very dark for my elven characters. I most often notice that sudden, darker look when I'm fishing with one of them and we cross over a server line and it's night time according to an in-game clock. (I recall home and check the grandfather clock!)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Feb 25, 2010
Okay, here's something else small that it would be nice to see fixed: The "racial abilities" books on our characters' paperdolls says that "elves always have the effect of a full strength Night Sight spell." However, I notice that periodically things get very dark for my elven characters. I most often notice that sudden, darker look when I'm fishing with one of them and we cross over a server line and it's night time according to an in-game clock. (I recall home and check the grandfather clock!)

I get this often with my human characters, whether they have Night Sight cast or are wearing Nocturne Earrings. I have to recast the spell, or quickly pull off and replace the earrings. My elves and gargoyles are usually overland, but they probably experience the same.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
I would love to have night sight and the elven racial ability to see in the dark only active in dungeons, not in the overlands. I want to see the night time lighting effects of the Sosaria nights. It seems like an easy thing to do, and can't think of any negatives since you can still see at night in the overlands without it.

Reactions: Leather Lucy

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
You are a weak elf!

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sep 14, 2012

I have to disagree. One house per shard is probably what's keeping enough money (though multiple accounts) rolling in to UO for EA not to pull the plug. Open that up and we'll lose countless accounts as people consolidate their housing... and maybe lose the game entirely.

We need to be making a more friendly experience for newcomers and returnees, not more storage for old vets with too much junk. Littering the lands with more houses owned by the same old players actually makes the game less friendly for new/returning players since they now have to compete harder with more established players. Hey, I'd like to have a zillion houses too, but I just don't think it's good for the game. Sure, it wouldn't be bad anywhere but Atlantic at the moment, but eventually it would if it was a one-off charge for an extra house.

I've seen the idea kicked around a few times for an inn system of some kind. That would be better for playing other shards than opening up multiple houses per account. That, or make it much easier to shard jump so it doesn't really matter where your house is.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
Riyana reread what i posted sugar......
I dont think you got what i was saying.
I acknowlage that the Dev and many of you feel that it wold kill off uo... but that to give players a chance to buy a 7x7 ish size plot the dev plot out in say malas. with 2500 lockdowns, purchaseable, non tradeable, and cant be resized.
There are large sections now on 90% of the shards that are very barren and I do not see in the near future any homes being placed again... lets face it.
Unless we get a massive influx of players these places which cant be used for castles and keeps will remain unused.
Players what the ability to go to another shard for play its hell to play out of your bank box.
I have been testing this on a semi busy shard and with a 5 char account its been super hard to balance items in a 150 count bank box and do any serious play.
This would be a easer way for the dev to deal with this situation then renting space and reconfiging the inns to give a storage box...which is tantamount to giving you a bigger bank box.
Lets face it most of you are in fear of any change that it would kill off the game and give EA the go ahead to shut us down...
This fear is not unfounded as we dont actualy know our standing in population of players in the game and I do understand this worries you.
Many of you have shut down accounts... consolidating.... this didnt help the game.
I do know we are all under money crunches...
I dont know about you but i for one am looking forward to our 20th.. and beyond.
Stop being scardy cats !

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
I'd like to have some tamer love:
  • Pet postures:
    • Aggressive: Attacks grey and red pets on sights
    • Defensive: Defends itself upon attacked
    • Guarding: More or less the same, the current command works (would either replace that or isn't needed at all)
    • Assisting: Attacks the same target, it's tamer is attacking
    • Passive: Doesn't attack at all in any case.
  • Pets get the pathfinding UI and don't get stuck every 2 meters.
  • Pets stay on target, when told to attack.
  • Item slots for pets. I.e. 3 slots, first slot unlocked at 100 Taming & Lore, second at 110, third at 120 in both taming & lore, like:
    • 1 Claws/Talons augmentation slot: can have items with stats like a weapon (no base damage or swingspeed, just the same possible item properties and intensities like on weapons)
    • 1 Neck chain/Collar slot: can have items with stats like jewelry (+skill bonus should not exceed the cap)
    • 1 Body armament/barding slot: can have items with stats like armor (+resists should not exceed the cap)
Maybe some housing changes would be cool too. Instead of being able to just place a single house (not counting siege), everyone can spend 3000 basic storage points (like in this table: http://uo2.stratics.com/homes-and-decorations/the-homeowners-guide/master-building-table). Storage increase will not be taken into account, when spending those points. Small keeps (3019 BSP) & castles (4688 BSP) can exceed this limit for obvious reason. One house per shard rule would still apply. Placing on siege is free and doesn't cost points. That would mean, everyone could place i.e.:
6 small houses (489 BSP) on 6 different shards
1 small house (489 BSP) and a tower (2437 BSP) on another shard
etc. (I think you get the idea)
That would mean, that the overall storage per account would not change, but still people could place a house on multiple shards.

Edit:
Forgot something: Get rid of checks finally! Already annouced, I know, but it's time to pull it off. The sooner the better :D

Last edited:
Reactions: MalagAste

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
Well as of todays (2-5-14) anouncement of the change in UO's handler, this puts us in a bit of a hover in place situation.
If history is any indacation of what might happen, even thought the post says the dev is safe but for how long?
We had been under Bioware's wing and even though this new change to our game has not fully settled in.
Much of Mythic's ways might change so I wish to remain silent on any changes we want as i have seen too many things go poof at the drop of a hat when EA shuffles us around.