• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Throwing] 2 Person Scalis < 15 minutes, no cannons.

• Thread starter Lord GOD(GOD)
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
L

Lord GOD(GOD)

A very cool friend of mine likes trying out different challenges. So do I, but when she said Scalis can be done with two people I thought something was getting lost in translation. Having tried a bunch of different ways to solo it during the beta TC I didn't think it could be done, mainly because it has very high HP regen and I don't remember hitting for over 50.

We did two. The first one we did took under 10 minutes, the pictures above are from the second which took 13 minutes, due to us trying out something with a third character - it didn't work - and we had to stop to res them a few times.

We used two characters, my Thrower which can use Vamp or Wraith Forms, and her Discord/Mystic. I was well aware that Curse Weapon and Vamp Forms life leech effects wouldn't work so wasn't expecting this to get very far.

Using a legacy boat I drop the net while unarmed near a coast that has a guard zone (Serpents Hold/Papua), this is so I can Honor it, before sailing back to shore. It's then Discorded and I use Enemy Of One and AI/LS it to death. With Perfection reached normal hits did around 80-90, AI/LS's did up to 273. The Mystic casts Cleansing Wind on the Thrower throughout keeping us both alive, and as it's in a guard zone the Eels Scalis summons are constantly guard whacked.

There is another method I'm hoping to try out soon that could enable us to kill 2 Scalis' at once!

There were no drops but it was fun to do.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool thanks for sharing that Lord GOD, could it be done with one person? Or do you really need that clensing wind to stay alive?

Thanks

Thunderz

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

It really needs 2nd person. Scalis regularly hits you with a water splash for 50ish while aggrod.

J

[JD]

i've been out in double overhead and ive never been hit with a water splash for 50.. wtf nerf scalis

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is cool. Thanks for sharing. Would love to see a video on youtube!

Questions:
Why would curse wep / vamp leech not work on Scalis?
Wouldn't the guards kill the boss?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hahahahaha!

HAHAHAHA!

No, seriously. Not until I try it myself.

(Though making the eels immune to guard whacking may actually be a productive change.)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(Though making the eels immune to guard whacking may actually be a productive change.)

When calling out for Guards to deal with the heels, also Scalis would be dealt with, being a Guard zone..........

No scalis = no drops = no loot................

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps, did you read the original post?

If so, what conclusion did you get from seeing the Scalis corpse, all the guards milling about and the statement "...as it's in a guard zone the Eels Scalis summons are constantly guard whacked?"

M

maximusss

Could two xhealing ranged chars(like disco archer and thrower)take scalis even faster ? This way the other guy could also deal some serious damage too with honor+enemy of one+ls.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If so, what conclusion did you get from seeing the Scalis corpse, all the guards milling about and the statement "...as it's in a guard zone the Eels Scalis summons are constantly guard whacked?"
Don't you know that with 10+K of postings Popps is a wealth of knowledge and information. He never post's about things he doesn't know and never asks a question to which the answer is clear and easy to find. Don't question the Popps because the Popps doesn't question you.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

This is cool. Thanks for sharing. Would love to see a video on youtube.

Questions:
Why would curse wep / vamp leech not work on Scalis?
Wouldn't the guards kill the boss?
I'm pretty sure both Scalis and Corgul were coded to be immune to those forms of life leech.

They do not.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

So I guess i need to fix that and buff him some right?
I think the only thing that needs fixing is the drop rates.

Corgul = too many.
Scalis = too few.

Corgul gets farmed about 10x as much as Scalis in my experience.

Also, setting the difficulty of a monster based on two coordinated players, would unbalance the monster for it's probable target demographic, large uncoordinated groups.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the only thing that needs fixing is the drop rates.

Corgul = too many.
Scalis = too few.

Corgul gets farmed about 10x as much as Scalis in my experience.

Also, setting the difficulty of a monster based on two coordinated players, would unbalance the monster for it's probable target demographic, large uncoordinated groups.
+1. I started farming the Corgul as I needed the helm after making a new RPD suit and coming to the conculsion that finding one of these to purchase was next to impossible on Napa. I recalled doing it with a larger group and it was death and frustration so a new direction was needed. After working a new bard and bringing a decent pair of friends it was a cake walk but there in no need to "nerf" stuff like this because of the thoughtfullness of some stratics members. I must say that I have put a stop to anyone bringing in a dragon as that has been the only time that I have wanted to punch my screen while trying to get the helm in the last 5 days.

I still see teams of tamers going to do medussa's and wonder what level of death must occur in there when a simple sampire can solo it all day long.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Could two xhealing ranged chars(like disco archer and thrower)take scalis even faster ? This way the other guy could also deal some serious damage too with honor+enemy of one+ls.
Well only one character can Honor, but maybe. The template would be a bit cramped. We just did one with 2 Throwers and an Archer hitting (all Wraiths), and without the Honor at least 2 of us did bad damage. It didn't seem any quicker tbh.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually I'd probably just fix the eels and the gwhacking, I think Scalis is hard as he needs to be.( Not to mention you could probably cut your difficulty even more by making a change to one of those templates/tactics )

The drop rates on Scalis and Corgul are the same though Scalis doesnt have the guaranteed drops that Corgul has.

Also the drop chance isn't a 1 drop limit. Its a flat chance for the qualifying top attackers.
So 2 attackers = 2 separate chances. 6 attackers is 6 chances.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Osiredon drops are the only drops in the game that aren't in abundance. The drop rate is fine. I myself have 3 soulforges along with every other drop with the exception of the Wand.

It's nice to see some items in the game that are actually rare and hard to get. I've also spent considerable time farming Osiredon. I don't believe a bump in the drop rate is warranted.

The guardwhacking of the eels needs to get fixed. I don't think a buff to Osiredon is. Discord is an absolute must which is why you really need 2 accounts.

Essentially it was a two man with the Serpent Hold/Papua Militia. Those eels can make a big difference in the length of time it takes to complete an Osiredon if you don't know how to deal with them.

One thing I don't understand is why the Crustacean is referred to as Scalis by so many players. What's so hard about the name Osiredon?:mf_prop:

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

So 2 attackers = 2 separate chances. 6 attackers is 6 chances.
The chance isn't pooled. So it's of no benefit to do it with a group. It may help in terms of items entering the game, but it doesn't help the players that put in the most effort. Too much effort and not enough reward just results in disintrest.

It is considerably less effort doing any hunt with fewer people that know what they're doing than a large rabble that essentially just throw their corpses at it until it dies.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

One thing I don't understand is why the Crustacean is referred to as Scalis by so many players.
It probably stems from the HS beta boards where Mesanna stickied a thread "Boss Encounter - Scalis" for feedback, then people went in game and found it was actually called Osiredon the Scalis Enforcer.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I guess i need to fix that and buff him some right?
Hmm noo it is not dropping good enough to make sense to do it quite often.
First you should consider to make better loot and then you can make it a bigger challange ;).

Ahh and by the way you can look at the new peerless bosses with SA, instant death at Slasher and nodrop is not cool, Stygian Dragon is okay but nodrop and bad loot, Narvey booring and is stoning itself with also nodrop and noloot, what is wrong with you Devs, why should hunting not be usefull?

The best way to get gold these days is doing this not challenging mini champ spawns in the Abyss, with the other peerless monsters the cost is too high to get nothing.

It is sad that the peerless resources Stygian Dragon Head, Dread Horn Mane, have no more use in the game at all!

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think this will be much of a issue as the rate that Scalis shows up from a net is low. We tried to get him last night and went through all the nets sitting around and that seemed to be for sale on Napa with no luck.

J

[JD]

I tried Scalis with 3 friends last night, we got him, corpse was completely empty. Too true about the disinterest... probably won't bother with him much in the future. I was hitting for mid 90s on a LS/AI crit.

But just for my own curious nature, he kept seemingly hitting me with some sort of "Blood Oath" type effect even though there was no icon. Is there any way to stop or lessen the effects of this? Possibly Magic Resist?

Also does he have a slayer? I tried Repond and Demon but didn't notice anything different.

Finally does he counter attack? I seemed to get messed up more when I used a weapon with a hit spell.

Thanks

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scalis has 3 ranged specials and splash damage on melee.
His water blast
His bounce lightning
And his eel toss.

He will occasionally counter with one of his specials when hit.

(you may also want try to avoid getting hit by the bounce lightning while you are wet.)

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We did one last night using 3 archers and 1 mystic/discord healer and 1 mage healer... still took us almost 50 mins. Could not get the honor to take so no one was able to honor him. Then he kept going back out to sea when he got low on hit points, heal up and come back in. We finally got him... no drops..

Today went back with 2 archers and a mystic/discorder/mage. Still unable to honor him. Got him down to like a millimeter of health and he started going back out to sea, healing up some, then coming back to the shore where he would then do some back to back hits and kill all 3 of us.. had to res like 4 times. finally after another 40 mins trying to kill him we gave up.. He just kept going back out to sea.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

To make sure you get the Honor use a legacy boat and stand on the plank out the side you drop the net on.

Have your weapon unequipped so you don't shoot it when it spawns and be ready to move to the other side of the ship as you sail back to shore with the voice command, as he can hit you from either side.

When it gets low on health spam attack last or repeatedly double click its bar in war mode to keep it from running off.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Lord..

I realised after posting that my Honor prolly isnt high enough, so I am trying to find the best way to work it up now.

As for him running off, I will try the double clicking of the bar on our next trip out and post an update..

So anyone got a good way to raise Honor quickly.. like whats the monsters to kill? I am currently working it on Lchs and Lich Lords... still seems to be going up pretty slowly

Thanks again for giving us some insight on this big fella!

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honor not high enough?

I don't think this strategy says anything about embracing your honor. Just honoring Osiredon for the damage increase, which only requires 50 or more bushido.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hhmmm... both times we took on scalis I kept getting the message... "You Failed to Honor your target"?

I just figured I needed to get my honor to a higher level. When I checked my level earlier I was only at 1 blue bubble. Currently at 4?

Maybe I am misunderstanding something here..

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think more people the better when it comes to Scalis/Corgal

I have gotten special arti drops (not book or sash) from Corgal on 2 separate chars in 1 kill. I would assume the drop mechanic would be the same for Scalis.

I think at least Corgal's drop chance is for each char and maybe Scalis since its coded at the same time?

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I raise my honor on the Sucubus chicks in the fan dancer dojo. Another good spot is misima but the demon chicks raise it faster. I've tried the fel route but it seemed to do little difference.

J

[JD]

you dont need to embrace honor, you need to honor him to get the damage increases from perfection. he must be at 100% life (thus no throwing weapon equipped) and you must have line of sight to him and be within range (maybe half a screen?). practice honoring other stuff before you try to honor him as with the boat it sounds a little tricky, and you will want to have the basics down before you try it.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I have the basics down as I use Honor all the time with my sampire... but when I try to honor using my ABC archer it comes back saying "You failed to honor". Not sure what causes that..

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stood on the plank tonight and was able to get the Honor off!

Thanks Lord!

Took us about 30 mins with 3 archers and a mystic discorder...

My archer with Honor was doing in the 60 - 80 range dmg on normal hits and criticals were landing in the 200 range

The other 2 archers were hitting 2 - 30 per hit plus extra dmg with velocity bows

Thanks again for all the help!

Still no drop :-(

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good friend and I have attempted to do this twice now, both times finally killing the floating bug, but not having luck with the guards. Took a little over an hour both times since we aren't using a discoer.

Is there a trick to getting the guards to show up?

Also seems that life leech on your weapon is not a good idea. :D I hopped out of Vamp form thinking that was the only thing that worked against me, but nope..

What kind of bows/glaives are everyone using?

semmerset

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a trick to getting the guards to show up?
we fight guard zone on land(papua/serpent hold) and say 'guard!' :D

my soul glaivie have stamina leech34%,mana leech 37%,HLD 50%,SSI30% and damege.

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
we fight guard zone on land(papua/serpent hold) and say 'guard!' :D

my soul glaivie have stamina leech34%,mana leech 37%,HLD 50%,SSI30% and damege.

We ran it both times in Papua, and called guards but nothing happened. I thought maybe there was some kind of trick to it. Hmmm

semmerset

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We ran it both times in Papua, and called guards but nothing happened. I thought maybe there was some kind of trick to it. Hmmm
When the snake or revenant spwan, are you shouting "guard".
And you fight guard zone?
Alway guard come to help us:thumbup1:

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, we've tried it all the way up and down the coast in the photo the OP posted.

I've tried dragging the eels all the way down as far as the docks to test it. Shouldn't be any difference that I have my macro set to say "guards" should it?

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well we were finally able to get scalis down in less than 15 mins tonight. quickest time was 12 mins with 3 archers and a discording myst.. We did 4 scalis and 5 of the leviathin spawns in about 2 hours. Ended up with the Bracelet and the small forge as well as a totem from the leviathin and a few other drops from the leviathin..

Thanks for all the advice!

Now Im gonna have to figure Corgul out..!

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think this will be much of a issue as the rate that Scalis shows up from a net is low. We tried to get him last night and went through all the nets sitting around and that seemed to be for sale on Napa with no luck.

A friend of mine and myself has been selling a lot of the nets on Napa. We have a ton actually.

I will not sell them until they fix the bug which makes the Scalis vanish when it should have died. we lost dozens of nets doing this. No point selling to others and learning the hard way about the bug. So, we hold on to them.

M

maximusss

I finally got a chance to test this with my friend. I brought my bush/chiv archer and he brought a necromage. I was standing as far as I could from the shore and he was a half screen away from me(to prevent being hit by scalis at all)and healing me with heal+gheal combo and throwing cure when needed(I had 100resist, wasnt getting poisoned much).

Healing wasn't the problem. After around 20mins scalis had only lost ~8% health, it was going way too slow. I was hitting for 250 with LS and 40 normal hits with perfection at max. I was using xbow with 50ssi total from gear. We figured it would take over 3 hours to kill him so we left. 3 hours of spamming gh/heal macro or LS..I dont wanna even think about it.

Was the problem that we didn't discord or something else ? I really dont believe discord will turn 3hours into < 15minutes, so the problem must be somewhere else..any advice ?

J

[JD]

discord helps but also the fact you werent using a bow with AI could have lengthened it substantially, since your 250's crits would have been 1 hit in 5 hits. whereas with AI the crits would be much more frequent. like 1 in 2 or so if lucky, so you could chop killing time in less than half or better. you also didn't have the benefit of a colossus. i dont think ive ever seen a 3 hour scalis tho

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Was the problem that we didn't discord or something else ? I really dont believe discord will turn 3hours into < 15minutes, so the problem must be somewhere else..any advice ?
Discord changes the normal hits to 80-100, but the main reason is that you aren't Throwing, or in Wraith Form. Throwing has a sweet spot damage bonus and easier setup to allow everything to be maxed.

In Wraith Form you can AI the first third or half of it's health before it even runs out of mana. Thats 200-273 hits every 1.5s. Then after that can often AI 2-5 times in a row, before needing to refil with LS, which can also be up to 273.

M

maximusss

There seems to be a way to solo Scalis. At Buccs den docks, Scalis can get somehow stuck(or make you appear out of sight to him) between the docks and the trees next to the docks. This makes him only use his aoe attacks, which are the aoe damage spell and summon eels. Bandages heal through the aoe damage and eels get whooped in few hits. Also since he isnt using much of his mana(?), you can LS LS AI in wraith form his whole healthbar.

It's obviously a bug though. Saw him get stuck few days ago, can't confirm if it was just pure luck or does it always happen when he gets between docks and trees.

But when he wasn't stuck, he was using his direct damage spells too. Also if I moved too close to the shore/docks he seemed to use them too while being stuck. So im guessing it wasn't pure luck he got bugged.

Somebody with white nets wanna try this ? Can post a shot of the location and how we did it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The post reads

Using a legacy boat I drop the net while unarmed near a coast that has a guard zone (Serpents Hold/Papua), this is so I can Honor it, before sailing back to shore. It's then Discorded and I use Enemy Of One and AI/LS it to death. With Perfection reached normal hits did around 80-90, AI/LS's did up to 273. The Mystic casts Cleansing Wind on the Thrower throughout keeping us both alive, and as it's in a guard zone the Eels Scalis summons are constantly guard whacked.
The pics show Guards all over.

Now, that I know of, when a player shouts "Guards", the guards come and kill anything that is a threat to the players.

Since also Scalis is there, why on earth would the Guards only kill the Eels but leave Scalis alone if that is also a threat to players ??

I must assume, therefore, that Scalis is somehow "out of the guard zone" and, therefore, not reached by the Guards when callen on by players.

But if so, then the right place to spawn Scalis should not just be one "within Guard zone" but one that is within a Guard zone AND with the shore left out of the Guard zone to have the Eels taken care by the Guards but not Scalis.

So, not all places in a Guard zone are good to spawn Scalis but only those that have the guard zone end right before the shore, would be....

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a good reason for that, assuming you understand game mechanics.

Hint: Anyone who plays a red by Yew gate could tell you exactly why Scalis isn't guard whacked.