• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] FoF: Bandaids and Thieves

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Five on Friday is back after the holiday weekend and we've filled it with your questions. In this week's edition we've got questions about thieves, faction points and much more!

To read the full article, please click here.

More...

D

Dragon Slave.

Any chance a thief could have a small chance at stealing a worth while weapon or armor piece? Or even an artifact? Like .01% chance for an artifact or new artifact, with there being an increase in chance up to 1% depending on the fame level of the creature? Or 5% chance to get a weapon or armor pice with good mods? Or a rare resource? I'm trying to get excited about the possibilities of stealing from monsters but potions that I'll never use, just doesn't do it for me...

M

Marcus Blackwell

Why are all the faction fixes not til pub 58? Seems to me those would be in pub 57? or Is pub 57 mainly going to be the Ish Champ spawn additions and holiday stuff? If thats the case hope pub 58 isnt far behind pub 57. Also any ETA on when we can expect pub 57 to hit test?

F

Flora Green

The vendor penalty system is still bugged. Nice of them to address that.

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting note at the very bottom there though. hmmmm wonder if thats worth while???

D

Dragon Slave.

Again, they've missed the point of thieves.
I'd say.. Why would anyone want to go steal bandages, reagents, scrolls, potions, and small ammounts of gold? With the possibility of getting a rare potion? I could go GM begging and do just as good, with no risk of dying. I believe most thieves in game, and rl steal because they're getting something of value.

The snooping skill isn't even gonna be required, that would be a cool twist, probably not pratical to code considering the loot is generated when the monster dies. But would be something to snoop the monsters pack. Then grab an item worth while.

And then there still is no fix for stealth, passive reveal, and player stealing.

I suppose its a start, but we still need more than this, and something better than a rare potion.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The vendor penalty system is still bugged. Nice of them to address that.
-You never pay a penalty if the item is bought off of your vendor, regardless of the time it was placed on it.

This is a loophole that needs to be closed.

With it doing that, the 'vendor penalty' system does absolutely nothing.

U

UOKaiser

They avoided addressing PvP thieves. They hit the point of PvM thieves pretty well though.
Probably they look down on thieves especially since many have resorted to underhanded means to rob people in trammel.

D

Dragon Slave.

They avoided addressing PvP thieves. They hit the point of PvM thieves pretty well though.
How so? Theres nothing great or special about getting a chance of stealing a rare potion. All the other stuff is useless. I can buy regs, cloth to make bandies, have a scribe that can make any scroll, and have gold by the millions. So while the idea of monster stealing is a plus, it's still pointless to bother doing it.

Secondly, why potions? That should be a treat for alchemists.

U

UOKaiser

-You never pay a penalty if the item is bought off of your vendor, regardless of the time it was placed on it.

To fix that they will have to implement per sale penalty. And if they keep both it will be just penalizing every vender in uo because th actions of a few. I dont see that as good way to fix things. They should just remove all vender fees then they dont have to think about it. If they make it worse for all the players I suggest a bond between all venders to raise the prices of all goods 10% to cover the cost and to send a message.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm long past scoring deco and I do have some fun with my silly template faction thief (at least for the rare occasions I'm online long enough to get in game these days).

Yes, I'd love to nab the real good stuff, and yet, with snoop, I'm still able to continue selectively filching skill and/or stat & now skill gain scrolls, all of which will still drop from the champs.

The negative spin would be, "they missed the point of thieves."

A more positive spin might be, "maybe this is but one step in a thieving overhaul."

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
No one has anything to say about a mana potion in the game?

S

sapphirediablo11

Just a head’s up that next week we’ll be announcing a new contest here on the Herald that is bound to keep you busy during the upcoming holiday season. We’ll have all the details for you next week including what you can win so keep an eye here for all the info.
EMs???? or further development to the game??? or or could it be Santa!!!!

U

UOKaiser

Only that it's nice it's in game but it's useless cause of the rarety and especially the wait time. Should of given it to alchemist and give it the same wait time as heal pots.

S

Sarphus

Stealing as a pvp mechanic is VERY damaging to the game on the standard ruleset to the point where it isn't fixable.

Stealing in pvp works on siege and it kinda worked in early UO, but I have to say I can't count on 2 hands the number of players that quit UO because of my theif back in the day, which is why I decided to dispose of him.

If you want to be a pvp thief, play on siege.

I played a thief for the first 1.5 yrs of UO, and I know a lot about pvp stealing and how it impacts players. I don't know why, but a lot of people are angrier if you steal from them than they would be if you kill them.

S

Sarphus

Not with a 10 min timer. It's only 40-45 mana too. Not really worth worrying about.
I agree... it sounds balanced to me. I think they'll be rare enough that people will be reluctant to use them flippantly.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not with a 10 min timer. It's only 40-45 mana too. Not really worth worrying about.
QFTW 10 min timer...so long you would probably forget it's time to drink it again, granted you even carry more than one with you.

But like someone said here, why potions?! Granted that they only gave us 3 of the 9 items to steal, but still. This belongs to alchemists to make potions! Alchemists need something more to make than what they have, there just isn't much variety in potions for alchemists, it's either buff stats, heal, cure, and damage.

I think there should be more than just consumables as rewards for thieves when stealing.

And as said, they missed PvP stealing, again. Not that I want to mug someone of all their valuables, honestly. There just has to be something to do with PvP stealing.

S

Sarphus

The snooping skill isn't even gonna be required, that would be a cool twist, probably not pratical to code considering the loot is generated when the monster dies. But would be something to snoop the monsters pack. Then grab an item worth while.

I suppose its a start, but we still need more than this, and something better than a rare potion.
I think you raise a good point. Snooping is a critical stealing skill and should be eventually tied in to pvm stealing. It would be cool if this pvm thief idea was expanded to include special items from special creatures. Maybe allow people to snoop champs and steal interesting things from them. At the very least, it would be good if you got a bonus to your "special item chance" based on your snooping skill.

It would also be cool if it was possible to get multiple-use versions of these items and scale the number of uses based on the power of the creature that the item was stolen from. For example, maybe you manage to steal a mana potion from an ancient wyrm and instead of getting a single-use one, you get a stack of 5. That would probably be a lot of work to implement, though.

It would be cool if there were quests where you snoop and steal specific things from specific creatures.

RedRum

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
“The faction bandaids have proven themselves to be over powered. With dexers combining an apple every 10-15 seconds along with a 4-5 second bandage it makes it nearly impossible to kill one on a decent connection (For mages and dexers). Are there plans to balance them?”

We will be adding a cooldown to the bandages. They will either have a 30-second cooldown OR will share the same 15-second timer as the apples so players cannot use both at the same time. This will be adjusted in Publish 58.

I hope they don't JACK this thing up and all "Enhanced" bandies will have the timer applied.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be cool if there were quests where you snoop and steal specific things from specific creatures.
Yes! Thief quests! A lot like BOD's but for specific items only obtained through stealing. Like thieving contracts. You could obtain them from guildmasters. Naturally, the high ends contracts should require you to steal from champion type creatures. To make it tricky, they wont always have that particular item.

Parser

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So about this vendor penalty... I have had items on my vendors since before the publish that brought it out. I recently took a few off to move to a differnet vendor and the items had the penalty. They have been paying vendor fees for months that hardly seems fair even though it was only a few hundred GP.

Secondly, what is to prevent someone from buying the item off of their own vendor to avoid the penalty? You could buy it and put the gold right back into your bank account.

Just a few thoughts not a sermon!!!

S

Sarphus

Yes! Thief quests! A lot like BOD's but for specific items only obtained through stealing. Like thieving contracts. You could obtain them from guildmasters. Naturally, the high ends contracts should require you to steal from champion type creatures. To make it tricky, they wont always have that particular item.
Or a peerless boss... you have to convince people to take you along, so you can mug the boss lol

I could even see monsters that are really hard to kill unless you steal something from them that's acting as a catalyst for their power.

I just noticed something on a re-read of the FoF too. The 3 consumables listed are 3 of 9. I wonder what the other 6 are :)

Of the 3 listed consumables, the drain-prevention one is most appealing to me. Especially if it prevents the leech from making a monster aggressive to you too. Either way, I'm definitely building a pvm thief.

D

Dragon Slave.

I think new artifacts would be cool.. I mean with aos they turned thieves into arti hunters.

Why not make 9 new thief artis. Nothing greatly over powered. Stuff like a ring with infinite vis charges, or ear rings with a +3 stat bonus, or a sash with +2MR, or sandals with +2 random resist, a braclet with infinite teleport charges. Simple junk that could be useable, not overpowering, etc. Or give the jewels charges, but allow a tinker to recharge them.

Also allow a random chance to steal a good piece of armor or weapon. And tie snooping into it somehow, even if it boosts your chances at getting a good item, or arti. Anything but what they came up with.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We will be adding a cooldown to the bandages. They will either have a 30-second cooldown OR will share the same 15-second timer as
Let me get this straight...you're gonna put a use timer on bandages? so we not only have to wait for them to kick in, then we actually have to wait before we can apply another? Are you planning to put a timer on the mobs and pvp'ers so they can only do damage once every 30 seconds? My first kneejerk reaction is, are ye daft?!?

Ahh nm, after re-reading, I see "faction bandages"...still kinda odd tho

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We will be adding a cooldown to the bandages. They will either have a 30-second cooldown OR will share the same 15-second timer as
Let me get this straight...you're gonna put a use timer on bandages? so we not only have to wait for them to kick in, then we actually have to wait before we can apply another? Are you planning to put a timer on the mobs and pvp'ers so they can only do damage once every 30 seconds? My first kneejerk reaction is, are ye daft?!?
On FACTION bandages. You know, the ones that remove the curses. Not regular bandages.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats a few more special moves for a dexxie...
That's true enough but it's not exactly over-powered. I don't see them being a problem with a 10 min timer or how they are obtained.

Now, the real question about these items is; Are they insurable? One would hope not.

Also, with the mention of alchemists. If we can "half-full" this glass; What if alchys could separate them for special ingredients?

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uh publish 58 till bandie fixes? Are you sure that wasn't a typo? I don't see why they can't be in 57.

E

eccentricjules

On FACTION bandages. You know, the ones that remove the curses. Not regular bandages.
I'm not factions so this won't even affect me.... but wouldn’t this change kinda nerf the bandages all to heck? I mean, I am a dexxer and I imagine myself doing pvp, which I do do (albeit poorly), and imagine pressing my "last item" button and moving the scroll on my mouse to target self and healing myself with a faction bandage..... but then if I need another heal within that 30 seconds I basically have to double click a new pile of bandages and then remember the next time to click my faction bandages again. So, isn’t that going to take too much time? I can’t do that and run at the same time. If I use a bandage self button is it going to know what kind of bandage I need… so if my faction bandage timer hasn’t expired will it know to use regular bandages?

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When is 57 going in?

When is the U.S. going to have 11th anny items available?

Some further info on the lag issues?

Keep us busy for the holidays?

Isnt it the holidays all ready?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not factions so this won't even affect me.... but wouldn’t this change kinda nerf the bandages all to heck? I mean, I am a dexxer and I imagine myself doing pvp, which I do do (albeit poorly), and imagine pressing my "last item" button and moving the scroll on my mouse to target self and healing myself with a faction bandage..... but then if I need another heal within that 30 seconds I basically have to double click a new pile of bandages and then remember the next time to click my faction bandages again. So, isn’t that going to take too much time? I can’t do that and run at the same time. If I use a bandage self button is it going to know what kind of bandage I need… so if my faction bandage timer hasn’t expired will it know to use regular bandages?
Well, I would hope that when the change goes in the system will know the difference between regular and faction bandages. I assume that the timer is only for curing curses. Not sure if this is correct though.

B

Black magick

QFT! Instead of this crap, can you just double the weight cap of stealing? you know, 50 can steal 10 stones, 100 20, 12 24?

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The beauty of this game is so many wonderful systems to explore. They could write an entire mini expansion focusing on nothing but current system enhancements and I would buy it! Good FoF.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree... it sounds balanced to me. I think they'll be rare enough that people will be reluctant to use them flippantly.
With that kind of timer, it is going to be like the 'full mana restoration' AA for enchanters in EQ. It will be a quick fix after a death, or for an 'emergency' Rez during a fight, but beyond that, I don't see it getting much use.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So about this vendor penalty... I have had items on my vendors since before the publish that brought it out. I recently took a few off to move to a differnet vendor and the items had the penalty. They have been paying vendor fees for months that hardly seems fair even though it was only a few hundred GP.

Secondly, what is to prevent someone from buying the item off of their own vendor to avoid the penalty? You could buy it and put the gold right back into your bank account.
Which is why I said it's a loophole that needs to be closed. By allowing that, they have made the vendor penalty useless.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way it sounds like they are dealing with the new Harrower drops is very disappointing.

Unless they somehow spawn a Harrower in a Trammel rules facet as well, they are basically saying that certain items will be under the exclusive control of whatever the 1 to 4 big Fel guilds of your shard. Unlike Harrower spawns, the Tram rules-only spawns cannot be controlled in that manner.

This is an unjustifiable reversal of what appears to be the concept of these drops (and many recent changes), which is that everybody can get the same things, they can just be gotten somewhat easier in Felucca. And let's face it. The Gladiator's Collar is very likely to be one of the Harrower-only drops.

A system wherein the Harrower could drop any reward, even rewards that are otherwise unique to other champs, but has no rewards that are unique to it, makes a lot more sense.

On a positive note: I see that the drop rate has gone down from 90% to 30%? Good move.

-Galen's player

F

Flora Green

Yep. That's the big one. What's the point in having the system at all?

I was actually referencing that we get charged (sometimes) for items that have passed the 24 hour timer. It's completely random, too. I just lowered prices across the board on all of my plants (sans the new ones) and the majority of them were pre-pub. I was charged fees on some, but not all, when in fact I shouldn't have been charged at all. It wasn't a lot, just a few hundred gold, but the fact remains that NONE of them should have been penalized.

Oh, the amount charged also seems to be random. I was only charged between 1 and 7 gold pieces last night. The 7 for 3500gp items. Yet, a couple weeks ago when I dropped the price on cacti from 800-500 gp I was charged 200gp per. The most expensive things on my vendors were some rubble I want rid of. None of them were charged. :coco: