• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vamp Form Poll

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 7

Should Vamp Form Get a "Kick in the Nuts"?

• No. Leave our dexxers the hell alone.

Votes: 80 51.3%
  • Yes, dexxers are overpowered as compared to other classes.

Votes: 25 16.0%
  • Yes, but only if all of the other comparable classes such as Tamers get a kick in the nuts too.

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • Yes, but beef them up in another way so they can still tank as dexxers are supposed to be able to.

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • No, they actually need to be able to absorb damage and tank better than they do now, like a GD can.

Votes: 14 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mark of Travesty +15 (not sure on this one but could have sworn I've seen it somewhere)

That's 60 points of Magery skill. And isn't there a talisman or something that gives another +5?
Mark is 10, Treatise on Alchemy talisman is +5. Crystalline Ring is 20.

M

Masumatek

First, what announcement? Did they say vamp form is getting nerfed or did they say the ability to use vamp form without real skill is getting nerfed?

Second, screw polls. Really...screw them. Polls on these forums are not necessarily representative of the "majority" of the population. More importantly, what the "majority" of the players want is not always or even usually good for the game. Often the "majority" prefers imbalance over balance so as to keep themselves overpowered. Screw polls and screw the majority. The devs need to do what is right whether the majority agrees or not.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I also note your lack of mention to the fact that Tamers are soloing the Peerless too, along with creatures that Sampires can't even touch, or at least take a hell of a lot longer to kill something a Tamer can take down relatively quickly.
I´m sorry, but I don´t get this whole dexxer vs. tamer issue...

The way I see it, a human being should NEVER be able to deal with monsters in the same way as a powerful dragon or any other powerful tamable does.

As for this poll. I didn´t vote cuz there was nothing for me to vote on. There should had been something along these lines:

"Should chars be able to keep the effects of armor/equipment buffs after they remove the armor/equipment?"
...and on this question I vote NO.

Of course, this goes for all +skills/equipment/whatever..., not just on this VE issue.

B

Blade_Thugluv

Sorry Wrong on this one, There are tamers on LA soloing Shimmering.
i would like to know how cuz being in one of the biggest guilds on LA none of our tamers have solo'ed it and talking to a few friends on other shards none have either so give me a name and screen shoots otherwise it never happened. even with greater dragons tamers get owned if they try to solo a shimmering.

~Blade

C

Connor_Graham

Mark is 10, Treatise on Alchemy talisman is +5. Crystalline Ring is 20.
I think I need more coffee...I've got a Crystalline ring. I even meant to type 20 but got stuck on the 15's. Still, that's a lot of skill points.

C

Connor_Graham

It came about from the responses that Sampires shouldn't be able to solo peerless given by people that play primarily Tamers, yet never suggest any equal changes to pets or Taming so they can't do the same thing they say Sampires shouldn't be able to do.

The way I see it, a human being should NEVER be able to deal with monsters in the same way as a powerful dragon or any other powerful tamable does.
I rest my case. A pet is a weapon just like a sword is. There is no good reason why one particular class of character should be able to do more than any other class in the game if things are to be balanced as we hear so much of here on these boards. Not to mention doing it easier and with less risk.

As for this poll. I didn´t vote cuz there was nothing for me to vote on. There should had been something along these lines:

...and on this question I vote NO

That would be the "Yes, dexxers are overpowered" response.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It came about from the responses that Sampires shouldn't be able to solo peerless given by people that play primarily Tamers, yet never suggest any equal changes to pets or Taming so they can't do the same thing they say Sampires shouldn't be able to do.
Ah ok. Fair enough...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe the question should be more like,

"Should chars be able to keep the effects of armor/equipment buffs after they remove the armor/equipment?"

For a second, let's imagine that there were leggings of taming and with them on and some taming jewels one could increase their taming from a low level to high enough to command a greater dragon, but their primary skill template is a pally archer.

Should this char still be able to command their greater dragon after they remove all their armor/equipment buffs for taming to fully equip for archery?
I agree with this and BardMal's other post, which is one of the things I've advocated for as long as the sampire explate has been around (I consider it an exploit template).

If you're going to gut my PvM templates by insisting on 90 real Tactics for special moves, something that is effectively a permanent-until-death special effect should be under the same restrictions.

I'd suggest ONE of the following...

1. Require 99 Spirit Speak to cast it, much as some of the other necro spells require as much SS as Necro, to cast. This would be leaving the ability to use jewelry. it would weaking the overall template some, while giving another, still useful, skill (a sampire could use it to heal)
or 2. Make it (and every other necro, chivalry and mage spell) require real skill be within 20-25 points of the spell level. A good example would be from magery. Currently, scrolls go off at 2 levels lower than actual. Make it to where the casting skill (in real points) has to be the minimum for casting the spell as a scroll, to be able to cast it in any form (scroll, or skill plus bonuses).

Oh, and by the way, I don't play a tamer. I play 2 mages (one a fisher, one a T-Hunter, and both have their templates border on Chiv tank mage, with their -0 mage weapons and attack in melee alongside their summons while casting spells of opportunity), several warriors (2 samurai, 2 paladins-both of which have 200+ points in non-combat skills and STILL kick butt), a dungeon thief and a bunch of crafters. The closest thing to a Tamer I have is a 5 year old character that's gotten ONE taming skill gain since I used an advanced token on it (I just don't have the patience for training taming). I have some funky templates, but each one has deliberate sacrifices of power in exchange for playability, and yes, fun. IMO, there is nothing fun about playing a sampire. I'd feel guilty just playing one.

The argument that it's only Tamers are against Sampires is a blatant misrepresentation of the facts.

C

Connor_Graham

All of which does nothing but relegate meleers once again to mediocre characters that can't do what they should be able to, which is tank. Until and unless they change meleers so they can actually handle more than 2 hits from a high end creature, they should leave Vamp form alone.

Everyone is real quick to nerf, but no one wants to give back what they want to take.

E

Eslake

Damage yes, but note that it doesn't say anything about the fact that a Greater Dragon can stand in one spot, never moving, and take on any monster in the game, including most Peerless bosses (more than any Sampire btw) and Doom bosses.
You have a seriously misinformed view of greater dragons I'm afraid. Mine is about the 5th best stats GD I've seen on LS, and he can't do any of that.
Without me vetting AND chaining greater heals, he can't stand against ANY peerless, and without help from another vet or 2 more mages, can't beat any but Melissa.

Your argument on this point is simply false.
Sampires can solo all but 2 peerless without any help. With 1 healer/curer helping, can do all of them. (I've had players with samu temps Claim to have solo'd all of them, but not seen it personally so I won't argue that)

In comparison, My tamer can solo Melissa with his GD, yes. But I've watched samurai (not even in Vamp!) do the same thing.
Every instance of tamers "soloing" any other Peerless that I know of have turned out to be "Solo'd with a healer helping" or relied on loopholes such as Trav's LoS/Distance oversight.
To Honestly handle any of the peerless as a tamer requires assistance from another Veterinarian or a very good mage to keep the dragon alive.

And I'd love for you to point out a tamer who has ever solo'd Proxy. ;)

A damage balance for them indicates to me that the flame breath damage they do in PvP that has been complained about so much is going to get the change that it needs.
And I still laugh when people complain about GDs in PvP. Dig up my post a few days ago on my Miner having beat a tamer with a GD. If you can't evade a dragon, you have no business PvPing.

Name one other class that can do that. Not even the best Sampire can. Tamers can do things that no other combination of skills in the game can do, and can do it at a minimal risk, at a minimal skill investment.
Minimal?
110+ taming to get the GD in the first place.
vs Any Peerless 120 vet and lore + 100 magery and med to chain greater heals.
We're looking at over 550 points already and the tamer is still without Any defensive skills whatsoever, to have any chance at all against the weakest peerless.

I don't consider that "Minimal Skill Investment" do you?

B

BardMal

Im sorry but to claim Sampires arent over powered is ********.

want proof?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vsK9m6Ed4ao

thats a link to a shimmering done in under 9minutes by a sampire.

Tamers cant even solo a Shimmering... so sit there and try to tell me sampires dont need a "kick in the nuts"

Using +skill items to cast a spell to go into a form then removing jewels to keep the form needs nerf. You remove jewels meaning no longer have the skill for form then Poof no form. If your a tamer and you use jewels to get a pet and take jewels off Poof pet doesnt obey you.

Dexxers are overpowered as it is and theses Sampire templetes are super over powered.

I vote for the "kick in the nuts" to sampires

~Blade
Hard to watch that video and have any other conclusion than what you said. Even if there is a guy off screen discording that SE- no 2 tamers could do that.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Connor:

I'd gladly take something that would prevent 2-hit kills for meleers - but playing an obvious wrong template is not the answer.

How about applying the Special move bonus to resist caps vs mobs only? If a person has 200 points in qualifying skills, that raises their caps by 5 vs creatures, 300 raising it by 10. All points over 70 (75 for energy, for elves), would be rounded down to the normal cap numbers for PvP.

Tanking isn't about HEALING; you're missing the point. Tanking should be about NOT TAKING the damage in the first place.

C

Connor_Graham

Just because you haven't seen something done or done it yourself doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

550 skill points vs 720 skill points, plus a buttload of gold spent on gear. I don't know what defensive skills you might be talking about, but the 3 Taming skills+Magery+Med are all that's needed to take on Peerless. Put a -0 Mage Weapon in hand and you're pretty much set. Anything else added to it just makes it that much easier.

R

Revenant2

With the announcement of the "kick in the nuts" to Vamp form, I felt a poll was in order to get the feel of how the boards view this. My thoughts on the matter are quite clear, as I feel dexxers have been nerfed all to hell over the past few years, and can't survive yet another one that will relegate them back to characters that only get brought out for simple tasks like getting bones to put on vendors. I think a nerf will cause players to quit, which UO really doesn't need at this point in time.
I don't believe it was an announcement. It sure didn't sound like one. It sounded like someone asked about the matter and they responded with personal feelings about it (I was listening when the comments were made).

It might have been better if they had not responded the way they did, having worded their position so strongly when in reality they had probably not worked out a solid decision among themselves, as a design team, to take any such action.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
First, what announcement? Did they say vamp form is getting nerfed or did they say the ability to use vamp form without real skill is getting nerfed?

Second, screw polls. Really...screw them. Polls on these forums are not necessarily representative of the "majority" of the population. More importantly, what the "majority" of the players want is not always or even usually good for the game. Often the "majority" prefers imbalance over balance so as to keep themselves overpowered. Screw polls and screw the majority. The devs need to do what is right whether the majority agrees or not.
/signed

Which is why I've said a number of times, the devs need to see for themselves what is going on in game before they make decisions on nerfing. I don't think peerless and Doom bosses should be soloable by anyone, using any template. Sampires right now, from what I understand, are able to solo just about anything relatively easily, so yes, they deserve a kick in the nuts. From everything I have heard they are the worst offenders in this regard. If tamers can solo peerless, then the devs need to figure out how they are doing it, and nerf the heck out of it as well.

I don't have a problem with skill+ items. However, I do think it is wrong that they can be removed and the benefits retained. Yes, I am biased because a tamer is my main character, but I do think there is a difference between the situation with sampires, and the situation with stable slots for tamers. Stable slots don't affect anyone's immediate combat abilities, sampires being able to maintain vampire form after dropping the items directly affects their combat abilities, and simply gives them an advantage they shouldn't have. In my opinion, if you drop the skill, you should lose the form.

L

Lady_Mina

I voted leave it alone.
Just because it seems like everytime they try to "fix" something, the game gets broke in 2 other places.
QFT !

+ EA doesn't listen to it's costumers..so our opinion is worth = 0.0000000
Costumer service and the 'ideas den' died long ago.

There's a reason they deleted the 'ideas den'..
EA is no longer open to any ideas of their costumers.

C

Connor_Graham

Connor:

I'd gladly take something that would prevent 2-hit kills for meleers - but playing an obvious wrong template is not the answer.
At the moment it's the only thing we have. Until they have an alternative to replace it, it needs to stay.

How about applying the Special move bonus to resist caps vs mobs only? If a person has 200 points in qualifying skills, that raises their caps by 5 vs creatures, 300 raising it by 10. All points over 70 (75 for energy, for elves), would be rounded down to the normal cap numbers for PvP.
I'm not following what you're trying to say here.

Tanking isn't about HEALING; you're missing the point. Tanking should be about NOT TAKING the damage in the first place.
Actually, it should be about both. Creatures that hit for 50+ damage only need to land 2-3 hits within a short time frame, and even less if it can cast spells would have any meleer dead unless they're able to heal that much damage in about the same amount of time. On the same note, they do have to avoid taking that kind of damage in prolonged amounts as well.

B

BardMal

What was said was (I was there at Town Hall) that keeping the form after the skill boost items were removed should be altered.

No one should be able to run an 900 effective skill level avatar, or there abouts.

C

Connor_Graham

775 or less would be more accurate. I don't know where you're getting 900 from. Remember that 35 points are real skill in Necro.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It shouldn't be there PERIOD, Connor...

Arguing for it that way is like saying, well, since we are a little hungry at 3 AM, let's eat the baby instead of waiting till morning and hittign the McDonald's drive-thru for breakfast.

What I'm suggesting is this:

We already have a framework that gives bonuses for combat skills to special moves.
5 bonus for 200-299 points in 10 combat skills (-5 to special move cost)
10 for 300 points.

Apply these as positive modifiers to character resists for PvM only (possibly replacing Archery and stealth with Chivalry & necro for this system).

A human would have 75/75/75/75/75 caps with 200 points in the skills (really easy with JOAT), 80/80/80/80/80 at 300 points.
Add 5 points to Energy resist for Elves.

These resists would still be treated as 70s (75 for elf in Energy) in PvP, despit what was displayed.

This would effectively cut damage taken by true meleers by 1/3, insuring that it would take 3-4 hits minimum to drop a tank, and giving MUCH more time to heal, without having to rely on a form that one has to swap out one's suit to recast, that has to be done using a method that IMO is a couple blocks across the borderline of being an exploit, on the wrong side of the line. IT would also encourage more crafter-based suits, as gettign to the higher resist caps would be even harder with artifacts and collection items, than currently.

B

BardMal

775 or less would be more accurate. I don't know where you're getting 900 from. Remember that 35 points are real skill in Necro.
When you can boost and effect with items, take off the items and keep the boosted effect, you can then put on other items, boosting other effects. There by, in effect, doubling the "effective boost" level.

My pallys choose between necro and bushido - they don't run both.

J

Jeremy

Let me clarify that this wasn't an "announcement" as such - just Leurocian's views on this particular feature/bug. It's not on anyone's schedule and we certainly haven't decided exactly what, if anything, to do about it.

That being said, we always welcome your feedback.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I said no...mainly because it comes across something there would be no way to really balance it without making all skill jewelry outside of Melee skill jewels useless.

Look at it this way...if I have a newbie Mage/Bard and I'm using +jewels to get magery up enough to cast Energy Vortex. Then I swap jewels out to one's for Bard Skills, do the EV's go "poof"? If I later switch back does Disco blink off the monster I'm fighting?

On the same topic how about your friendly neighborhood Thief? Granted I know there are a few real thieves out there Chad and Rico (though Rico ending every paragraph in ...la makes me want to strangle him for bad grammar he can have some props too) being the most vocal, but how easy is it to make a GM thief with + Skill jewels? hmm 50 start skill, Bandanna +10 (60) Shadow Dancer Legs +20 (80) +15 Ring (95) +15 Bracelet (110), the only reason you don't hear as much griping about that is because insurance has rendered the UO Thief more or less pointless.

Truth be told the Sampire template ( Yes I play one ) is the only template I've found in PvM that matches the tanking abilities of a good tamer (yep got one of those too) in most situations and exceeds it in quite a few...after all there are no monsters coded to take little to no damage from a dexxer, that don't also have the same effect on Tamer's pets.

All in all I think it's rather funny that people gripe and gripe and gripe about Tamers, yet here is a template that can pretty much match on in most areas and exceed it in others and people want to gripe about that too...

My advice to the whiners? Go play Something else and leave what isn't really broken alone, UO wouldn't be nearly as broken if it wasn't for the constant complaints and dribble that catches the attention of the dev team making them want to "Fix" it, resulting in 17 other things getting a gear tossed in the works.

My Advice for the Dev Team.....
Stop worrying about balancing for the moment and re-write that broken cluttered, archaic server side engine, with a modern vastly more flexible language so you can fix what actually is broken and produce new content in 1/10th the time.

C

Connor_Graham

Let me clarify that this wasn't an "announcement" as such - just Leurocian's views on this particular feature/bug. It's not on anyone's schedule and we certainly haven't decided exactly what, if anything, to do about it.

Well, that makes me feel a little better. I hope that if the time does come that something is decided, that a discussion about it would be encouraged beforehand prior to any changes being made.

C

Cowgoesmoo

A lot of people have been saying for quite a long time that to remain in Vampire form or any form for that matter you should be required to have the minimum skill required to effect the transformation. IE if you remove your +skill jewlery or are discorded you should revert to human form.

I really fail to see how this doesn't solve the problem while still having it as a viable template. Bearing in mind that no template is ment to be as powerful as several currently are.

I like the idea of tieing the effects to SS. That could add some dynamics to quite a few of the tranforms. Especially with bonuses for real skill gm etc.

L

Lady_Mina

just remember...every fix..brings more and new issues...

So be careful what you wish for...cause you might get it.
(along with more then you wished for)

S

Sebrina

Shoot, I GMed Necro just so I could go Vamp form though the skill is on a soul-stone right now. I wonder if I keep it there until after the kick if it would remain intact. -probably not.

Stop nerfing!!!

R

Revenant2

Well, that makes me feel a little better. I hope that if the time does come that something is decided, that a discussion about it would be encouraged beforehand prior to any changes being made.
I'm glad she posted that yeah. Hearing what went across the town hall thingie about vamp form was, well... alarming, so this helps =p

I guess I can go back to what I was doing now!

B

Baghdaddy1

Wow, so many drinking the hatorade out there. Bottom line, leave vamp form the way it is. There is a reason why there are so many +necro items in the game.

And those who think that a Sampire (or any necro form for that matter) is the only dexxer template that can solo a peerless, you are sorely mistaken. I actually regret the screen shots I posted last year of me soloing Dread Horn and Paroxy in the Samurai forum. What I thought at the time as sharing the enjoyment the template brought me with the stratics community has now turned into the beginning of the end (I apologize to those who play the sampire). Since I made those posts, the Sampire became very popular and the naysayers just cannot deal with a powerful dexxer template.

And to those who refuse to try the template, it isnt just putting vamp form on and standing there. You have got to know what the hell you are doing. you are not assured victory because you are in vamp form.

Don't even get me started on Greater Dragons. I'll stick to the subject. If the Sampire gets hit by the nerf stick, so should every other template that can solo peerless bosses.

LEAVE IT ALONE AND GET OVER IT

G

galefan2004

Which announcement are you referring to? Could you link it please?

I voted that dexxers are fine. What people (even the developers) seem to forget is that this game was mostly balanced before they went through and buffed the hell out of all of the mobs. Then to counter those mobs they went through and buffed the hell out of pets and items. They should have just left well enough alone then and they should just leave it alone now.

G

galefan2004

I don't use vamp with my sammy, yet I would still say he's a powerful char. I guess it depends on how much power you think is sufficient or not enough.

I don't have any problem with nerfing "twinking" in this instance. However, I'd suggest that skill + items should be addressed for every skill, not just necromancy. There are other classes which are more in need of this balancing. A tamer has a lot of power if they twink, and I think it's perfectly fair that real skill be essential to control a pet, for example.

Wenchy
I've read what you have typed about making taming a skill that isn't impossible to work and then basically removing skill items (if they aren't giving any bonuses they become pointless anyways), but the problem with the development team is that they will most likely do one without the other. If they remove the ability to use pets with skill items and don't make it a lot easier to game taming then I will simply not log into UO again. I don't think they really want to **** off all of the sampires and all of the tamers in swoop because then Trammel will be pretty much empty and we all know empty Felucca is already.

G

galefan2004

The only way they should nerf Vamp form, is to only allow real Necromancers to use it.

You should need at least 99 real skill to be able to cast it, not just 45 + jewelry, Midnight Bracers and Bloodwood Spirit. That would keep people from using strange templates that practically make them invulnerable and it wouldn't ruin this wonderful spell. :)
They aren't invulnerable. They hardly gain a bonus in PvP at all other than being immune to poison, and they really aren't that overpowered in PvM either. A select few can solo DH and other related content, but the majority simply don't do that very often.

G

galefan2004

Where's the option for "Yes, swapping items shouldn't replace skill." :coco:
Then why are the items in the game? If they don't replace real skill then ALL skill related items are POINTLESS. If you want to see them remove all skill related items then they need to go through and rework the stats on all of those items and then rework all of the systems so that they gain on the same level. They didn't want to rework all of the systems to make them gain in a fair manner back when AoS came out so they gave us skill items instead. I'm not even sure the developers thought of players using these items to take their caps up to 900 when they introduced them.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, so many drinking the hatorade out there. Bottom line, leave vamp form the way it is. There is a reason why there are so many +necro items in the game.

And those who think that a Sampire (or any necro form for that matter) is the only dexxer template that can solo a peerless, you are sorely mistaken. I actually regret the screen shots I posted last year of me soloing Dread Horn and Paroxy in the Samurai forum. What I thought at the time as sharing the enjoyment the template brought me with the stratics community has now turned into the beginning of the end (I apologize to those who play the sampire). Since I made those posts, the Sampire became very popular and the naysayers just cannot deal with a powerful dexxer template.

And to those who refuse to try the template, it isnt just putting vamp form on and standing there. You have got to know what the hell you are doing. you are not assured victory because you are in vamp form.

Don't even get me started on Greater Dragons. I'll stick to the subject. If the Sampire gets hit by the nerf stick, so should every other template that can solo peerless bosses.

LEAVE IT ALONE AND GET OVER IT

You made it fun to play my dexer again. I still can't solo Dreadhorn or any peerless for that matter. So there is skill required.... I do two man peerless now with my friend that has a greater dragon. She can solo them, but with me there it goes a little quicker.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then why are the items in the game?
It was an oversight. When Age of Shadows launched the only Necromancy skill items were the jewlery (+30 total) and the midnight bracers (+20). Plus at 99 your chance to cast was like 2%, you needed 120 Necromancy to have a good chance at success.

Then they changed it so you have 50% chance to cast at 99. Then they added the +10 necromancy spellbook and +5 talisman. All this made it possible to cast Vampiric Form with just 30 Necromancy or so.

M

mmmbeer

A Tamer can put on +Skill jewels and increase their stable slots. When they take the jewels off they retain the increased number of stable slots. When they put the jewels on, they can tame AND bond a high level pet. When they take them off, that pet remains tamed AND bonded. These are the specific examples I was speaking of, and are not the only ones, just 2 of the more blatant.
u do NOT keep the increased number of stable slots. i lost a pet that way

G

galefan2004

..By themselves, as in, not bothering anyone, not harming anyone, just doing their thing, enjoying UO.

Maybe everyone should try and do the same... Live and let live!
Some people desire this to be a group game. They see games like WoW and think that UO should resemble that in game play. Those people seem to have become dominant in UO as of late. If I want to play a mostly group game (end game) then I will play WoW because of the much better tools it has to play the game with. Graphics aside (because they honestly don't matter to me) WoW just has MUCH better systems, and that is what really makes it out shine UO. UO should be pushing its own thing not trying to copy the new kid on the block.

G

galefan2004

You have a seriously misinformed view of greater dragons I'm afraid. Mine is about the 5th best stats GD I've seen on LS, and he can't do any of that.
Without me vetting AND chaining greater heals, he can't stand against ANY peerless, and without help from another vet or 2 more mages, can't beat any but Melissa.
I've pretty much solo vetted a greater dragon through a DH attempt. It took a lot of bandages, but I believe it is doable. I've duoed Lady Mel countless times with another tamer that was also a mage and we kept both pets alive just fine unless we got unlucky with the satyres. I could most likely solo a Lady Mel. The thing is...why would I bother. I know I can possibly solo a few peerless, but I know I can make a decent friend and definately duo them in 1/2 the time, and normally your friend wants to see you succeed as well, so they normally share the wealth if anything worthwhile drops.

G

galefan2004

QFT !

+ EA doesn't listen to it's costumers..so our opinion is worth = 0.0000000
Costumer service and the 'ideas den' died long ago.

There's a reason they deleted the 'ideas den'..
EA is no longer open to any ideas of their costumers.
On the flip side...

I've seen WoW add so many decent ideas from customers directly to the game in one form or another, and who has a game with 10,000,000 players? Things that make you go...HMMM!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I've pretty much solo vetted a greater dragon through a DH attempt. It took a lot of bandages, but I believe it is doable. I've duoed Lady Mel countless times with another tamer that was also a mage and we kept both pets alive just fine unless we got unlucky with the satyres. I could most likely solo a Lady Mel. The thing is...why would I bother. I know I can possibly solo a few peerless, but I know I can make a decent friend and definately duo them in 1/2 the time, and normally your friend wants to see you succeed as well, so they normally share the wealth if anything worthwhile drops.
This is true....I know myself I've gone through, The Prisim, and Dreadhorn with just 2 tamers, and neither of us were mages (stealth tamers). On top of that we didn't use anything bigger than a 3 slot pet in either one. Travesty I've done with 3 simply for crowd control when she pops the ninja's and what not. Doom I've ran with 2 other tamers, neither were mages and this was also before Greater Dragons.

With my Sampire....well I've gone to a lot of peerless and myself haven't managed to come close to soloing one. Though since my account doesn't have but a 710 cap I have to tweak the template a bit more and lose some advantage. That and I'll admit skill is a big factor in soloing any peerless with any template. Also one needs to look at the large investment on a really good suit and weapon that is needed for a Sampire to even think about soloing peerless.

One reason me and my friend who does Dreadhorn with me do it with just 2 is we both have connections with a rather large guild and on occasion like the concept of not having to split the loot with 28 other people. With RNG as funky as it is the odds are better for us to actually get something worth keeping if we run them alone.

G

galefan2004

Here is what you should do...

Realise that the majority of your player base is about one more frustration away from never logging into the game again and stop doing stuff to frustrate them. Making a string of pointless and unneeded nerfs will cause this game to lose players like crazy, and that is about all that it will accomplish.

G

galefan2004

It was an oversight. When Age of Shadows launched the only Necromancy skill items were the jewlery (+30 total) and the midnight bracers (+20). Plus at 99 your chance to cast was like 2%, you needed 120 Necromancy to have a good chance at success.

Then they changed it so you have 50% chance to cast at 99. Then they added the +10 necromancy spellbook and +5 talisman. All this made it possible to cast Vampiric Form with just 30 Necromancy or so.
So the players that are taking advantage of the developers stupidity are to blame for any and all consequences of that action. Yup...must be EA.

A

Azaroth-

Sammy is the only reason I play this game anymore. Well, the only reason I pay to play on OSI for 2 accounts.

If they nuke Vamp form, I will sell up and quit as I have no more interest in any characters that are half arsed in comparison to what I have had.

Yeah yeah yeah threat to quit... well no it's not. I'm not threatening at all, I am stating that this will officially remove all interest from it for me.

After seeing this post "They announced at the recent town hall that Vamp form was going to "get a kick in the nuts". " - I feel like i've been kicked in the nuts.

All you girls out there complaining and whining about it being too strong. Whatever. Good on you. Lets see how you go when the game shuts down for good. Because that's what is gonna happen when the likes of me, 10 year old veterans can easily quit now that they have squeezed what enjoyment we had left.

If I want to fight difficult stuff in a group, I will play WOW.

Parser

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is stupid to have items giving skill points and then make those points useless in using the abilities of the skill. Tactics up to 90 for secondary weapon skill is a good example. I use a bracelet +13 tactics on my swords char, this means I must carry 90 tactics to use the secondary skill bringing me to 103 with the amulet. What a waste of 3 skill pts!!! It might not seem like much but for how I like my char to be set up it was a big change. Sure I can wait for another year to get 5 more skill pts and use on Tactics, but maybe I had other plans for them. Why are you forcing warriors to carry 90 manditory pts in Tactics. Quit forcing templates restrictions on me. I like my chars to be my creations NOT someone's expectations of a skill class.

I hate any suggestion saying real skill only is needed to do something since it is always a pick and choose application. Who died and made you the rule maker for UO? Get over yourself, arrogance does not become you.

One option then is rid the game of all items increasing skill, do not pick and choose what can benefit and what cannot from skill items. Why should a mage be allowed to cast high level skills with the aid of a ring/amulet. Begone fake skill and welcome back the fizzle. Oh that would make it suck to be a mage? Well the tactics change sucked to me.

How about NO SKILL INCREASES from items for PVP. Leave PvM out of such crappy changes? Seems simple enough, tamers must have high enough natural skill to command a pet to attack someone, etc. And just to be fair (seems everyone wants to be fair even though UO, life and PvP is NOT fair), make it so that only 700 pts are available in PvP no special treatment for older accounts since i'm sure some people out there bought older accounts so they did not have to wait 4 years for those 20 points.

Yes, I do not PvP yet and yes I mainly stay in Trammel so ignore my comments as is always done from what you call a trammie.

S

Sarphus

I have mixed feelings on this. I really like abusing the heck out of vamp form, but it is clearly unbalanceable as things are now. I think that any time the devs apply nerfs to something, they should also add buffs in other areas. Just nerfing things will annoy a lot of players, but throwing us a bone in some areas and nerfing some of the more abuseable areas should keep the game fun for us.

I don't see vamp form as unbalanced if you have SS and necro on your template. It's just a problem when you can have bushido, chiv, parry and weapon skills and still be a vamp (with no necro skills whatsoever). I've been doing this for years and it has always worked great. It has always been horribly broken too.

Despite the obvious bias of the poll, I voted for the kick in the nuts for vamp form and taming. I didn't vote that way because I think vamp form needs a kick in the nuts and a few other things also would need to be balanced simultaneously.

I think the devs need to do their weapon balance pass and update various armor types to give people a reason to wear non-meddable armor, so that dexers get a kick in the nuts, but ALSO get a nice help. For example, wearing all platemail could reduce melee damage by 30%, chainmail could reduce by 20% and studded could reduce by 10%. Of course, this wouldn't apply to mage armor.

Chivalry needs a serious balance pass. I'm ok with 4/6 chiv as long as chiv power is based on how high your chiv skill is. I say force paladins to choose how chivalrous they want to be. I'm even ok with their damage moves possibly gaining a little extra strength at 120 chivalry. There just needs to be a reason to take chivalry to 120, and creating that reason will soften a lot of the more abused templates.

The kick in the nuts that tamers need will revolve around forcing tamers to make at least a 300 skill point investment to play a high-end tamer. Numerious suggestions have been made. I'm sure the devs have a plan along these lines somewhere behind closed doors. Tamer is my favorite char to play, so the fact that I'm saying restrictions should be placed on taming should say something (though I don't think a tamer with vet is unbalanced)

Ninjitsu needs a balance pass. Since the last balance pass, ninjitsu has had a pathetically boring moveset. Ninjitsu needs to have moves added to it that are interesting and fill a purpose.

I think it would be good to create more incentives to take necromancy to 120. I don't see much reason to go over 105 in necro as things are now. I think the best way to accomplish this is to possibly addd some more direct damage or possibly a lifetap or lifedrain spell. Possibly a drain spell that drains stats from target. Necros have a shortage of direct damage spells, which causes a lot of necros to rely a little too heavily on wither. If more DD spells were added to necro, wither could be nerfed and a win/win could be possible. That being said, I think I'm in support of friendly fire being re-enacted.

As discussed in another thread, it may be a good idea to do a balance pass on HCI, DCI, HLD, HLA. IMO, if those mods are nerfed, mana-related caster mods also must be nerfed or a new imbalance will be created. I think I'm ok with things as they are on this talking point.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im sorry but to claim Sampires arent over powered is ********.

want proof?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vsK9m6Ed4ao

thats a link to a shimmering done in under 9minutes by a sampire.

Tamers cant even solo a Shimmering... so sit there and try to tell me sampires dont need a "kick in the nuts"

Using +skill items to cast a spell to go into a form then removing jewels to keep the form needs nerf. You remove jewels meaning no longer have the skill for form then Poof no form. If your a tamer and you use jewels to get a pet and take jewels off Poof pet doesnt obey you.

Dexxers are overpowered as it is and theses Sampire templetes are super over powered.

I vote for the "kick in the nuts" to sampires

~Blade

Thats a wraith form dexxer. Sampires use Vampiric embrace. Not Wraith form.

If they nerf +skill jewels to break the VE spell. i think all greater dragons should unbond if real skill isnt present with that publish.

If your going to nerf, nerf right dammit.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not going to be nerfed. You can just about guarantee that many players whose mains are vamp dexers would quit, including massive numbers of Asian shard players from what I have read re. their playing style.

Why not introduce new peerless content with challenging AI that cant be soloed? That would keep both customers and devs happy.

L

Lord Kynd

Errrrr.....

I've been away from UO for a while.

What have they done to Vamp form?

:dunce:

for that matter.. what does vamp form have to do with dexers ?

man , get something worthwhile fixed like spellweaving focus.

L

Lord Kynd

Its not going to be nerfed. You can just about guarantee that many players whose mains are vamp dexers would quit, including massive numbers of Asian shard players from what I have read re. their playing style.

Why not introduce new peerless content with challenging AI that cant be soloed? That would keep both customers and devs happy.

hey, how about like fixing our pet's AI, once tamed, they are dumb as a box of rocks :(
and what teh heck is you can't see that ????? i can so it is right next to me, oh a tiny box is between us ?? wtf my dragon is surely towering over that box and can surely 'see' said creature i want to kill... grrrr
stop nerfing the game already !!