• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Discussing Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Bleak? Do you ever play Siege rules? I would love to see your thoughts on that.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak
Do you feel that removing over capped DCI has removed some of the variety in mage templates and why? The elephant in the room is the effects of global loot on combat when it comes to parry. In particular, I would like to know how you feel about their effect on base stats(str,dex,int)?
It was the combination of removing the ability to Overcap DCI and 20% increase in swing speed in archers with composites that led to the majority of mages picking up parrying. New loot definitely made it easier to hit 80 dexterity after pots on a mage without sacrificing much of anything, The issue that CovenantX and I have with it is that they sacrifice so little for so much. No other combination of parrying gives you everything.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So here are some thoughts about the discussion thus far.
  • Archery feels like it has the biggest impact on the meta at the moment due to its range, damage output, and moving shot. I'm personally against reducing base weapon damage as that would have a negative impact on the community but I'm just one voice of the team. I feel that tweaks to moving shot should be on the table as well other counters to the template such as tweaks to disarmed ranged weapons. I would also like to know more on your thoughts about hard capping ranged weapon swing speed at 1.5.
  • Adding more skills into the Focused Spec restriction sounds like a solid idea.
  • When it comes to the parry skill it is my opinion that it should be left alone. There have been several changes to the meta which has made parry a more optimal strategy for mages. Do you feel that removing over capped DCI has removed some of the variety in mage templates and why? The elephant in the room is the effects of global loot on combat when it comes to parry. In particular, I would like to know how you feel about their effect on base stats(str,dex,int)?
  • As for Corpse Skin + Curse, what are your thoughts on reducing the duration of curse based on magic resistance?
  • There are some bug fixes for throwing pots coming down the line.
1) To be completely honest with regards to archery, I would just re-implement the hit chance penalty to moving shot that it use to have. that is very possible to be why people feel it's mandatory to have Parry. It's small changes, nothing major is needed reasonable offense, I would most definitely prefer something that's not going to impact the Pvmers no matter how probable it is that one would use swing-speeds at or above 1.5s it's possible, but if you can find a way without getting to that point, it would be a better option.

2) Adding more skills to the Focus spec -break list: I'm partial to this idea, but I'll also say I'm a slight bias when it comes to consumable items (pots etc), because I think it's more so specific things about skills such as Alchemy that are more the problem than focus spec in combination with that. that's just my opinion so far. I think it needs more discussing though.

3) I feel removing over-capped dci was a good move myself. I did use to over-cap dci when it was available, but also, people (and you as a dev) need to bring into account that hit lower defense during that time was a -25 DCI penalty, It has since then been reduced to -15 dci which is how it currently stands.

4) Curse & Corpse durations already scale in that sense, to be honest here the duration doesn't matter if it's longer than 30seconds. because people will not pvp without Enchanted apples. if curses last shorter than that, it's risking the viability of the template that uses those curses. which is a risk I don't think is worth taking.

5) Hell yes with the bug fixes with pot throwing. Good news indeed.

To touch up on Parry skill, the imbalance I refer too, is just that what some templates give up are not a fair trade in comparison with what Wrestling + Parry or Anatomy + Parry offers. It's the difference between investing skill points into different skills (weapon skills) but becoming more vulnerable to other (Disarm special) then those two combinations, and also not being able to use potions without temporarily dropping defenses, which is counter-productive and it's also something wrestling/anatomy+ parry doesn't deal with.

One thing, you don't talk about though, is how you feel about reverting the tactics requirement. do you have an opinion on that, or is it just something that simply won't happen?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
  • Archery feels like it has the biggest impact on the meta at the moment due to its range, damage output, and moving shot. I'm personally against reducing base weapon damage as that would have a negative impact on the community but I'm just one voice of the team. I feel that tweaks to moving shot should be on the table as well other counters to the template such as tweaks to disarmed ranged weapons. I would also like to know more on your thoughts about hard capping ranged weapon swing speed at 1.5.
  • Adding more skills into the Focused Spec restriction sounds like a solid idea.
  • When it comes to the parry skill it is my opinion that it should be left alone. There have been several changes to the meta which has made parry a more optimal strategy for mages. Do you feel that removing over capped DCI has removed some of the variety in mage templates and why? The elephant in the room is the effects of global loot on combat when it comes to parry. In particular, I would like to know how you feel about their effect on base stats(str,dex,int)?
  • As for Corpse Skin + Curse, what are your thoughts on reducing the duration of curse based on magic resistance?
Hard capping us will kill archers for PvM... whatever you do to impact ranged weapons in PvP remember that you can further destroy our template for PvM It's already bad enough that so many other templates can out damage the archer... So what if we aren't standing toe to toe... isn't that a good thing at events?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Bleak do not listen to a vocal minority.

How are you going to nerf running shot? The normal damage for is around 22 points if I recall. Not including hit spell.

The damage they're referring to is wither with specific corpse skin stacking and elemental bows or vs multiple archers and debuffs (virem i think it was).

If anything revert the stack but don't nerf damage.

If you don't want to let them stack make corpseskin reduce 10 fire resist and poison.

Leave curse as is but nerf curse Scrolls from working against 120 resist.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hard capping us will kill archers for PvM... whatever you do to impact ranged weapons in PvP remember that you can further destroy our template for PvM It's already bad enough that so many other templates can out damage the archer... So what if we aren't standing toe to toe... isn't that a good thing at events?
It's not helping. the only templates that come close to out damaging archery has to do with hitting multiple targets. If anything pvm is skewed heavily in favor of everything but mages.
Besides, we're telling them not to affect pvm, read the next few posts after his response.

Ultimately they're going to do what they want to do, it doesn't mean they're going to do what everyone wants.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. Would it be possible to only cap ranged weapons at 1.5 IF the weapon had some other hit effect on it?
2. Yup
3. There is only so many hits/damage a mage is going to tolerate before they sacrifice something to increase their defense. New loot means the big sacrifice for maintaining defense isn't in stats... its in skill points/template variety. At present mages are dumping 220-240 skill points in to something that used to be 100% on the suit (Mage weapon & 70DCI) The only way I see mages moving away from parry is to nerf it into nothingness or restore some of the balance of dexxer hit chance/DPS. Changing archery AND parry does nothing to the balance.
4. IMO, there needs to be some counter to the stacking effect.
5. Good to hear!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honest question: What templates would those be? Throwers? Sampires? If it's throwers: You can run the same exact setup on an archer. Before deciding to go Whammy for all my throwers, I ran 120 Anat/Tactics/Throwing/Bushido, then 90 Healing/about 80 in Chiv for fairly reliable EoO. I forget if I had anything else (I don't think I did, so it's enough leftover skillpoints to fit a decent amount of Resist, should you need it), but it's capable of doing 200+ dmg Armor Ignore even without a Slayer. Sampires? They likely wouldn't be able to handle event bosses...at least, not if they had to be the ones doing the tanking. But I'll tell you this: every single one of my ranged dexers can outdamage my sampires. Do you know why that is? Because they don't need to dedicate 100 skillpoints in Necromancy so I can stay in Vamp form.

In an earlier post, I had already covered the potential effect of a .25 second decrease in ranged weapon's swing rate. You would barely even notice it, especially when you're already capable of high dps through Armor Ignore.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What? Where'd that come from, that's making corpse skin LESS effective than it is. not only that Curse is Better if you make this change...
If they're not going to be stackable, then this is what I propose.
Though I'm not sure why you'd be opposed. Stacking drops you to 50, and corpseskin now would be 55 and I proposed to drop to 60.

And yes curse would be better.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Your proposed Archery change - would ruin my pvm archer.

Parry- if you leave it alone and allow overcap dci again, melee and ranged templates will never be able to hit them again. Don't allow overcap dci. Yes loot easily allowed everyone to make a parry mage. I feel that you're thinking of lowering the loot value. Don't do that either. It's too late. Actually increase the loot value throughout the lands. Make the whole game worth playing again and not just Roof/Exodus.

Allow toggle of weapon specials again while casting. I personally feel some of the previous ninja deathstrike and evasion bushido nerfs should be reverted to put those template variations on par with these focused necro, holy fisters, archers and 30sdi parry mages.

I really like you and this whole team so don't take this the wrong way. Once a happy medium is found where there's not just a couple effective templates, maybe the skills should be left alone unless there's rock solid proof there will be no hardships. The fel side population has dwindled and it's not from boredom. It because things keep constantly changing...for the worse.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Capping speed to 1.5 is a damage nerf.

So vs parry you are separating the damage per second even lower.

You can't do that without adjusting parry. And parry does not need any tweaks.

You'd be better off considering buffing up close range damage perhaps or look at adjusting DCI up for regular templates or something.

Don't know the answer to that yet but I don't think the nerf stick is the way to go.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honest question: What templates would those be? Throwers? Sampires? If it's throwers: You can run the same exact setup on an archer. Before deciding to go Whammy for all my throwers, I ran 120 Anat/Tactics/Throwing/Bushido, then 90 Healing/about 80 in Chiv for fairly reliable EoO. I forget if I had anything else (I don't think I did, so it's enough leftover skillpoints to fit a decent amount of Resist, should you need it), but it's capable of doing 200+ dmg Armor Ignore even without a Slayer. Sampires? They likely wouldn't be able to handle event bosses...at least, not if they had to be the ones doing the tanking. But I'll tell you this: every single one of my ranged dexers can outdamage my sampires. Do you know why that is? Because they don't need to dedicate 100 skillpoints in Necromancy so I can stay in Vamp form.

In an earlier post, I had already covered the potential effect of a .25 second decrease in ranged weapon's swing rate. You would barely even notice it, especially when you're already capable of high dps through Armor Ignore.
It would cause a significant reduction in hits which results in a significant reduction in damage over time... and at an event where every shot counts... it would mean the difference in outcomes... in earning or not earning loot rights... And as I play with competent mages and dexers I can tell you damage output counts... and I do know how much damage I do end of event to a mob vs how much they do as the EC tells you... so yes I do know what I'm talking about... a mage using a slayer scrappers with all the added bonuses from fish pies, and everything else along with L3 mastery and if they have it Spellweaving doing word of death... yes they out do an archer. So do throwers.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'd be better off considering buffing up close range damage perhaps or look at adjusting DCI up for regular templates or something.

Don't know the answer to that yet but I don't think the nerf stick is the way to go.
I suggested this a few pages back and you said you'd pass. :lick: Now we're going to have to eat a bag of nerfs.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I suggested this a few pages back and you said you'd pass. :lick: Now we're going to have to eat a bag of nerfs.
Nah those weren't the ones I was passing on.

I agree with not just nerfing things because a few people want them nerfed.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Though I'm not sure why you'd be opposed. Stacking drops you to 50, and corpseskin now would be 55 and I proposed to drop to 60.

Because you have been fighting against us so hard that them stacking isn't over powered, and now you want to nerf it when it doesn't stack???

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If it drops fire/poison by 10 (basically, the same as Curse), then what is the point of using Corpse Skin in the first place? Whether Cursed or not, Corpse skin should only drop your cap from 70 to 55.

A quarter of a second wouldn't be that much of a difference in pvp. I think it'd make a slight one, but not enough for people to notice it, especially in pvp; however, as evidenced by the reactions to your proposed idea, the pvm community doesn't want it.

If you do anything to Archery, just re-introduce the HCI penalty on Moving Shot, and possibly a damage reduction. However, bows in the current meta are 100% elemental - I can't comment further on a damage reduction because a) I don't pvp on dexers, and b) it'd likely require testing anyway. Disarmed ranged weapons: Could you clarify this? Do you mean a different mastery passive for ranged weapon skills, that isn't Saving Throw?

Focused Spec skills: What skills did you have in mind?

Corpse/Curse: Do NOT reduce the duration. Curse's effects are already reduced through high resist, which is fine.

It would cause a significant reduction in hits which results in a significant reduction in damage over time... and at an event where every shot counts... it would mean the difference in outcomes... in earning or not earning loot rights... And as I play with competent mages and dexers I can tell you damage output counts... and I do know how much damage I do end of event to a mob vs how much they do as the EC tells you... so yes I do know what I'm talking about... a mage using a slayer scrappers with all the added bonuses from fish pies, and everything else along with L3 mastery and if they have it Spellweaving doing word of death... yes they out do an archer. So do throwers.
wait wait wait. You're using Mages for a pvm argument? Unless the mage has spellweaving or a Greater meatshield, they can't do anywhere NEAR what an archer/thrower/sampire can. Word of Death outdamages, obviously, but you can't use it until a boss is near dead. Slayer books? Dexers still outdamage the mage when you factor in casting time - Mages do have their own Armor ignore in the form of Death Ray, but the pulses are every 3 seconds, and you can't maintain it if you run out of Mana, which you will unless you're in Wraith form. Dexers can use Armor Ignore at a much higher rate, even with the doubled Mana cost.

btw, Soul Glaive and Comp Bow have the same base damage. If you're not getting as high a damage output on your archer as I can on my thrower, it's likely your gear and/or skills. My LS thrower: 136 str, 167 Stam, 100 (105) DI through gear, 120 Anat/Tactics, max HCI. Damage range on Soul Glaive: 62-78. EoO bonus: 50% (although I won't use it against Undead creatures - there's no benefit to EoO when I've got weapon and Conj. Trinket.) That's all before Perfection too.

In all of the events I've done on a thrower, and even when I pvm on him outside of events, I've never had ANY problems doing enough damage to get loot rights, even with 1.75 second swings. Yeah, every second counts, but when your setup is capable of doing a crapload of damage, you have a little room for missing: Mana Leech is a godsend with high damage.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Because you have been fighting against us so hard that them stacking isn't over powered, and now you want to nerf it when it doesn't stack???
I don't think they should be unstacked but if they're going to be lets nerf them while we are at it, that way we don't have to revisit this when people cry that 55 resists is too low.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1.5s swing speed cap should ONLY be considered for those who have More than one weapon skill i.e: Fencing + Archery, Macing + Archery, Swords + Archery, even Wrestling + Archery, it would make sense then but don't make a change that's going to effect archery as a whole.

If you set a cap of 1.5s for pure archers it's going to basically force everyone (that isn't already) to play what they are ALREADY playing. we need to get the **** away from that.

Just add a minor hit chance penalty to Archery>Moving shot, let us test it and we'll tell you whether or not it needs further fixing.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If it drops fire/poison by 10 (basically, the same as Curse), then what is the point of using Corpse Skin in the first place? Whether Cursed or not, Corpse skin should only drop your cap from 70 to 55.
I know.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just add a minor hit chance penalty to Archery>Moving shot, let us test it and we'll tell you whether or not it needs further fixing.
I'm not completely opposed to this I guess, the more I think about it.

But still not sold on it.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not completely opposed to this I guess, the more I think about it.

But still not sold on it.
Right, but I just don't want the devs to rush into something and change it too much, then no one will be happy with it.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I think there should be a benefit to stacking them, i.e a reason to use both, instead of just one or the other. but with a 100% additive stack like they do now it's much more than that.

It needs to be an overlapping stack.

to someone with all 70s in resistances

70/70/70/70/70 (no debuffs)
70/60/60/60/60 (just curse)
70/55/70/55/70 (just corpse skin)
70/55/60/55/60 (Both Curse & Corpse skin)

That's how I think it should work.

to be honest now, I'm slightly worried that Archery might get nerfed enough to where it's going to be mages ruling all of UO except pvm. I don't even play Archers!

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't lower the base dmg....just adjust the running shot. No need to screw over pvm peeps.

Also, put a timer in on alllll pots....TO INCLUDE REFRESH.....

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was inevitable. It always turns into a **** show because everyone thinks their way is right (myself included).
What makes one way "right" as opposed to another way? I would hope whichever fix does what it's intended to do, without causing imbalances somewhere else.

That's what would make one better than the other. It shouldn't be because It's mine, yours, or anyone's Idea that the devs consider using.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There should definitely be a 1.5 swing cap on ranged weapons. It shouldn't affect pvm at all either, its still pretty fast that way. Putting the hci penalty on moving shot is a must no matter what other changes get made, it used to have one, why did it go away in the first place. Add alchemy and poisoning to the SDI break list as well. Im also an advocate of getting rid of reactive paralyze too, but that's just me.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What makes one way "right" as opposed to another way? I would hope whichever fix does what it's intended to do, without causing imbalances somewhere else.

That's what would make one better than the other. It shouldn't be because It's mine, yours, or anyone's Idea that the devs consider using.
:rolleyes:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There should definitely be a 1.5 swing cap on ranged weapons. It shouldn't affect pvm at all either, its still pretty fast that way. Putting the hci penalty on moving shot is a must no matter what other changes get made, it used to have one, why did it go away in the first place. Add alchemy and poisoning to the SDI break list as well. Im also an advocate of getting rid of reactive paralyze too, but that's just me.
It's still pretty fast?

It will drop damage but we're talking what, 40 points of damage every 5 swings so every 8 seconds or so?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's still pretty fast?

It will drop damage but we're talking what, 40 points of damage every 5 swings so every 8 seconds or so?
Sigh.... the DPS doesn't matter it's damage per hit, but most of all it's Interruptions.

Why do you keep using dps as your turning point? no sense man. and you're changing your mind on things or suggesting changes that would make it worse or bad enough to effectively remove it from the playing field.... how do you say things like this:
If you don't want to let them stack make corpseskin reduce 10 fire resist and poison.
Then agree with this...
@Bleak

Proceed with caution, we need small adjustments/changes...

None of us want another Publish 46.
You realize that Publish 46 did nothing but remove viable templates from the playing field (pvp).... your suggestion with corpse skin will do the same thing... obviously on a smaller scale.
You don't make the game better by funneling everyone into playing the same damn template. you make it better by doing the Exact Opposite.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sigh.... the DPS doesn't matter it's damage per hit, but most of all it's Interruptions.

Why do you keep using dps as your turning point? no sense man. and you're changing your mind on things or suggesting changes that would make it worse or bad enough to effectively remove it from the playing field.... how do you say things like this:

Then agree with this...

You realize that Publish 46 did nothing but remove viable templates from the playing field (pvp).... your suggestion with corpse skin will do the same thing... obviously on a smaller scale.
You don't make the game better by funneling everyone into playing the same damn template. you make it better by doing the Exact Opposite.
What do you think will happen to overall damage if you drop swing speed to 1.5?

There's no guessing in it, it's simple
Math.

I explained why I wanted to keep corpseskin to 10 and 10 in a response to I think it was King Greg. (I don't think they should be unstacked).

You won't make other templates viable by nerfing random templates such as wrestling and parry or archery swing speed.

Hci reduction for moving shot? Sure, maybe.

I'm pretty you comprehend all of this but are cherry picking responses simply because I disagree with you on some of your points.

But that's fine, I don't mind humoring your arguments.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What do you think will happen to overall damage if you drop swing speed to 1.5?

There's no guessing in it, it's simple
Math.

I explained why I wanted to keep corpseskin to 10 and 10 in a response to I think it was King Greg. (I don't think they should be unstacked).

You won't make other templates viable by nerfing random templates such as wrestling and parry or archery swing speed.

Hci reduction for moving shot? Sure, maybe.

I'm pretty you comprehend all of this but are cherry picking responses simply because I disagree with you on some of your points.

But that's fine, I don't mind humoring your arguments.
Overall damage would be reduced at 1.5s, but is it because of overall damage that archery is better than something else? absolutely not. That's my point.

I'm not cherry picking, but you're going to assume what you want. I couldn't careless.

I want variety with a reasonable balance.
You want balance between the small variety we have (It seems). if you can't see the difference by now, I'm not going to point it out again.

Just like the parry "nerf" I talk about, you're not arguing against the points I'm making. If you read what I said, you'd know that...

If corpse skin was -10% Fire -10% Poison. curse is -10 fire, cold, poison. & energy... is that Balanced? ... I rest my case.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Overall damage would be reduced at 1.5s, but is it because of overall damage that archery is better than something else? absolutely not. That's my point.

I'm not cherry picking, but you're going to assume what you want. I couldn't careless.

I want variety with a reasonable balance.
You want balance between the small variety we have (It seems). if you can't see the difference by now, I'm not going to point it out again.

Just like the parry "nerf" I talk about, you're not arguing against the points I'm making. If you read what I said, you'd know that...

If corpse skin was -10% Fire -10% Poison. curse is -10 fire, cold, poison. & energy... is that Balanced? ... I rest my case.
The first line says it all.

It's a difference of 5 or 6 swings which affects DPS. Your prior post says DPS doesn't matter. Now you agree it affects the overall damage (which clearly also affects DPS).

At this point I feel like we are going in circles and you're both cherry picking and forming straw man arguments.

Even if they nerf ranged swing speed, you think that's going to balance things out? No, it's just nerfing a templates damage.

Parry nerf? yeah we covered this extensively in two threads now.

Corpse skin stacking? Yep still fine, but if we nerf it lets nerf it so we do t have to hear anymore crying about it. I mean testing it between stacking and just corpseskin is literally 5 resists. It's evil omen that is boosting the damage.

Either way it's fine, but at this point I'd rather agree to disagree.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The first line says it all.
Tell me something I don't know...

It's a difference of 5 or 6 swings which affects DPS. Your prior post says DPS doesn't matter. Now you agree it affects the overall damage (which clearly also affects DPS).
did I say that it wouldn't effect DPS? No, stop reading what you want to hear, and ignoring the rest.

At this point I feel like we are going in circles and you're both cherry picking and forming straw man arguments.
Absolutely going in circles because You don't know what I'm talking about.

Even if they nerf ranged swing speed, you think that's going to balance things out? No, it's just nerfing a templates damage.
It would balance pvp out, but it would also affect pvm. I'm against the change, if it's just for those with Archery, and nothing else... stop being so f***ing dense.

Parry nerf? yeah we covered this extensively in two threads now.
Yea, we did. you missed the point of it too. I'm done pointing it out to you.

Corpse skin stacking? Yep still fine, but if we nerf it lets nerf it so we do t have to hear anymore crying about it. I mean testing it between stacking and just corpseskin is literally 5 resists. It's evil omen that is boosting the damage.
I understand your logic now. Leave it as is... Or.... Nerfing it to useless, no one's going to complain about it. they're just going to find a different game to play. What the f**k else do you think has been going on for the last 15 years... is it really that hard to see?

it's not literally 5 resists... the difference is 10 resist in favor of Curse already... you're arguing based on only 1-2 damage types being used... (not the bigger picture -shocker) I'm sorry I have to point that out, and it does matter....

Either way it's fine, but at this point I'd rather agree to disagree.
I agree with that.

But I'll tell you what we probably need to do, is come to a consensus on what adjustments we do want (if any) but it's fairly obvious there has to be something done... so the devs get an idea on what needs fixing and how it needs to be fixed.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
it's not literally 5 resists... the difference is 10 resist in favor of Curse already... you're arguing based on only 1-2 damage types being used... (not the bigger picture -shocker) I'm sorry I have to point that out, and it does matter....
Yep, very good buddy. You're catching on.

So if you make a Melee template designed to do the most damage, you're not going to pick the higher resists to do damage against.

You're going to pick the one that has the lowest, in this case fire and poison.

So for one person, (your template specifically which is the only way to accomplish this) it's 50 resists vs 55.

Otherwise it takes two people which makes the whole argument irrelevant because you don't balance it on two vs one.

It's cool you're swearing and throwing insults, but It's not helping you out much.

Let's keep it a bit more civil so we don't lock the thread okay?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, very good buddy. You're catching on.

So if you make a Melee template designed to do the most damage, you're not going to pick the higher resists to do damage against.

You're going to pick the one that has the lowest, in this case fire and poison.

So for one person, (your template specifically which is the only way to accomplish this) it's 50 resists vs 55.

Otherwise it takes two people which makes the whole argument irrelevant because you don't balance it on two vs one.

It's cool you're swearing and throwing insults, but It's not helping you out much.

Let's keep it a bit more civil so we don't lock the thread okay?
I'm not throwing insults, but you're going to assume what you want. If you took it as an insult, that's up to you. I can't control what you think, nor am I trying too.
Swearing, again you can assume what you want as well. (it's for dramatic effect, no less, no more.)

It doesn't matter if it takes two people, why even mention that? but I have to ask, Is that really the only argument you have that justifies them stacking? Surely there has to be more, because good god is it a weak argument.

Wrong again, my template specifically is not the only way to accomplish it. I can tell you that without any testing.
because I don't even have enough necromancy/spirit speak to exceed -10 from fire or poison resist. but again, assume everything is using the most it can get and everything is fine... *sigh*

Hey, I got an idea, maybe you should do some testing before you assume everything, it would help my argument more than you think it's helping yours.

my "*" words so that people can think what they want... it's a technique, you don't like it?

The thread won't be locked because of me.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm not throwing insults, but you're going to assume what you want. If you took it as an insult, that's up to you. I can't control what you think, nor am I trying too.
Swearing, again you can assume what you want as well. (it's for dramatic effect, no less, no more.)

It doesn't matter if it takes two people, why even mention that? but I have to ask, Is that really the only argument you have that justifies them stacking? Surely there has to be more, because good god is it a weak argument.

Wrong again, my template specifically is not the only way to accomplish it. I can tell you that without any testing.
because I don't even have enough necromancy/spirit speak to exceed -10 from fire or poison resist. but again, assume everything is using the most it can get and everything is fine... *sigh*

Hey, I got an idea, maybe you should do some testing before you assume everything, it would help my argument more than you think it's helping yours.

my "*" words so that people can think what they want... it's a technique, you don't like it?

The thread won't be locked because of me.
:rolleyes:

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So your stances are according to this thread.
1. Corpse + Curse isn't overpowered because it can't be done by 1 player
- WRONG, and you wouldn't even go back to the page where we proved it.
2. Corpse + Curse isn't overpowered because any template that can do it isn't effective in pvp
- Shown a player can be 2 shot once both buffs are on
3. Corpse + Curse isn't overpowered because a mage won't let you get off Corpse + Curse ever, and Chivalry Can remove debuffs.
- What?
4. Corpse + Curse Isn't Overpowered, but one template being able to apply it is, so nerf the way curse scrolls work, and if you aren't going to let them stack, may as well nerf corpse skin more because people will cry at 55 Fire/poison. And Evil Omen is what is boosting the damage.

Even Stacking at 10/10 with curse. This drops you from 60, to 50% Resist.... Going from taking 40% Damage to 50% Damage... a 25% Increase in final damage. The same intensity as evil omen...... And your claim that its evil omen that's actually boosting the damage is undermining the increase in damage from both curse and corpse. Evil Omen will Amplify the damage done by 25%, BUT the curses themselves result in more of a damage change.

70's = 30% Damage Taken
70 + Evil Omen = 37.5% Damage Taken
60 Resist = 40% Damage Taken (33% Increase from Curses)
60 Resist + Evil Omen = 50% Damage Taken (33% Increase from Curse 33% Increase from Evil Omen )
45 Resist = 55% Damage Taken (33% Increase from Curse, 50% Increase from Corpse)
45 Resist + Evil Omen = 68.75% Damage Taken ( 33% Increase from curse, 50% Increase from Corpse, 46% Increase from Evil Omen)

Evil omen is less than curse by itself, and less than corpse even when they stack, which Means that your argument not only has no basis mathematically, but evil omen is a 1 time use vs corpse and curse which are sustained until removed.

The Only instance where evil omen is more effective than the debuffs used is with crushing blow.
45 Resist + Crushing Blow = 82.5% Damage Taken
45 resist + Crushing Blow + Evil omen = 103% Damage Taken (33% Increase from Curse, 50% Increase from Corpse, 50% Increase from Crushing Blow, 68.75% Increase from Evil Omen)

To put this in perspective, since your last "Test" Involved doing AI's with a kyrss.
An ornate axe @ 150 Strenth, 120 Tactics, 120 Anatomy, 100 damage Increase has a base damage of 67-79 Damage. Against 70's resists you will do 21-23 damage, 31-35 Damage Crushing Blows.

Corpse + Curse = 37-43 Damage Blows
Corpse + Curse + Crushing = 55 - 65 Damage Blows
Corpse + Curse + Crushing + Evil Omen = 69 - 81 Damage Blows

By the time you factor Orc Brute, Pain spike, Conflag, Supernova, + Hit spell you could literally be killed in one shot. Something that would allow a single player to almost kill you in one shot will definitely be used in group fighting.

I could be wrong, but I think a lance doing Evil Omen Concussions will hit harder than this. Need to do testing.

Keep changing your reasons for why corpse + curse isn't overpowered.

I VIew Corpse + Curse stacking like this weatherman views the hurricane.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So lets look at the idea to change ranged weapons speed and cap it at 1.5 vs 1.25...

So lets say we are at an EM event and the boss spawns and the time to take it down is 30 seconds...

At an average of 125 damage lets say (I say this because I know I "can" hit as much as 240 on an AI in EoO with a correct slayer... but bosses don't always have a slayer and you don't always hit all AI... I generally hit AI 3 to 4 times in a row and then every other to every 3rd shot IF I'm able to leech mana back otherwise it's one in 5 shots after the first 2 or 3 AI... so then I'm hitting somewhere around 8 to 53 or so so we'll average 125 a shot...

So at 1.25 we would hit @ 24 times for 3k in total damage... in a 1 min battle that's @ 6k

And at 1.5 would hit only 20 times in 30 seconds and 40 times in 1 min so that's 2.5k or 5k... in damage...

So you tell me how insignificant that is? IMO that's not an insignificant loss of damage... 1k in damage is a MAJOR loss...

And that's saying that you aren't having to move out of range to heal, having the mob move out of range, getting lagged to all heck from the mob using novablast or some other silly BS that kills the client... or you being able to get close enough to hit it right away or any other factors...

That's just like prime conditions... with a slower bow your going to be losing a lot of damage over time... the longer the time the more loss...

Now changing moving shot to miss more or whatever won't really effect any of that... most people at an EM event aren't using moving shot much if ever.

It's very irritational when your primary skill in constantly getting nerfed because of PvP balance. I've played an archer since the first day I started UO. I've seen a lot of changes to the skill over the years... some I'll admit were needed... I still recall hitting with a Heavy Crossbow PvP at 75+ in one shot... that was a tad overpowered. I also recall doing massive damage with the magical shortbow which got such a nerf that it is now a totally useless bow... same with the repeating xbow... which makes about 3/4 of the "artifact" bows useless just by being what they are... and you can say that most the arties for swords and fencing are useless too but swords and fencing have 2x the choices in weapons that archers do...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So your stances are according to this thread.
1. Corpse + Curse isn't overpowered because it can't be done by 1 player
- WRONG, and you wouldn't even go back to the page where we proved it.
2. Corpse + Curse isn't overpowered because any template that can do it isn't effective in pvp
- Shown a player can be 2 shot once both buffs are on
3. Corpse + Curse isn't overpowered because a mage won't let you get off Corpse + Curse ever, and Chivalry Can remove debuffs.
- What?
4. Corpse + Curse Isn't Overpowered, but one template being able to apply it is, so nerf the way curse scrolls work, and if you aren't going to let them stack, may as well nerf corpse skin more because people will cry at 55 Fire/poison. And Evil Omen is what is boosting the damage.

Even Stacking at 10/10 with curse. This drops you from 60, to 50% Resist.... Going from taking 40% Damage to 50% Damage... a 25% Increase in final damage. The same intensity as evil omen...... And your claim that its evil omen that's actually boosting the damage is undermining the increase in damage from both curse and corpse. Evil Omen will Amplify the damage done by 25%, BUT the curses themselves result in more of a damage change.

70's = 30% Damage Taken
70 + Evil Omen = 37.5% Damage Taken
60 Resist = 40% Damage Taken (33% Increase from Curses)
60 Resist + Evil Omen = 50% Damage Taken (33% Increase from Curse 33% Increase from Evil Omen )
45 Resist = 55% Damage Taken (33% Increase from Curse, 50% Increase from Corpse)
45 Resist + Evil Omen = 68.75% Damage Taken ( 33% Increase from curse, 50% Increase from Corpse, 46% Increase from Evil Omen)

Evil omen is less than curse by itself, and less than corpse even when they stack, which Means that your argument not only has no basis mathematically, but evil omen is a 1 time use vs corpse and curse which are sustained until removed.

The Only instance where evil omen is more effective than the debuffs used is with crushing blow.
45 Resist + Crushing Blow = 82.5% Damage Taken
45 resist + Crushing Blow + Evil omen = 103% Damage Taken (33% Increase from Curse, 50% Increase from Corpse, 50% Increase from Crushing Blow, 68.75% Increase from Evil Omen)

To put this in perspective, since your last "Test" Involved doing AI's with a kyrss.
An ornate axe @ 150 Strenth, 120 Tactics, 120 Anatomy, 100 damage Increase has a base damage of 67-79 Damage. Against 70's resists you will do 21-23 damage, 31-35 Damage Crushing Blows.

Corpse + Curse = 37-43 Damage Blows
Corpse + Curse + Crushing = 55 - 65 Damage Blows
Corpse + Curse + Crushing + Evil Omen = 69 - 81 Damage Blows

By the time you factor Orc Brute, Pain spike, Conflag, Supernova, + Hit spell you could literally be killed in one shot. Something that would allow a single player to almost kill you in one shot will definitely be used in group fighting.

I could be wrong, but I think a lance doing Evil Omen Concussions will hit harder than this. Need to do testing.

Keep changing your reasons for why corpse + curse isn't overpowered.

1. The only evidence you supplied was covenants video, which that was correct actually, when tested.
The caveat is that it requires scrolls and they're at best a 50% failure right.

2. Sure I could see where you'd get that impression when I gave the total of 42 for the kryss template. I know the evil omen corpse can do about 70 points of damage. Voodoo on Great Lakes used the template against my parry tactics Mage Odessey. He got a couple of shots in but I can't say he ever killed me, or at least that I recall offhand.
So you could argue the stacking of 5 resist points difference, along with him using an elemental weapon, but is it an issue with stacking or evil omen?

3. This was in context of the template of Covenants in the video, which included the failure rate of the curse scroll and corpseskin casting. Let even including Apple which starts the process over or any template that allows you I remove it quickly like chiv. But I like the "what?" response. It really shows the depth of your argument there.

4. This is semi accurate. Human skill with the base 20 points able to drop 120 resists by 10 resists for 25 seconds? Sure I think that should be nerfed. But yes, if we nerf the stacking, may as well go to 60, because the archer conc with evil omen and elemental now does about 70 points at 55 resist.

All those combos could possibly drop you in one hit. I agree novas should get a nerf. The brutes are annoying but would apply to the Melee close range templates. But seems the majority are complaining about archery. Not Melee.

Really the common factor is evil omen, which also allows players to be evil omen paralyzed at 120 resists and increases the poison strength.

Would you nerf that or stacking?

Your call.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So lets look at the idea to change ranged weapons speed and cap it at 1.5 vs 1.25...

So lets say we are at an EM event and the boss spawns and the time to take it down is 30 seconds...

At an average of 125 damage lets say (I say this because I know I "can" hit as much as 240 on an AI in EoO with a correct slayer... but bosses don't always have a slayer and you don't always hit all AI... I generally hit AI 3 to 4 times in a row and then every other to every 3rd shot IF I'm able to leech mana back otherwise it's one in 5 shots after the first 2 or 3 AI... so then I'm hitting somewhere around 8 to 53 or so so we'll average 125 a shot...

So at 1.25 we would hit @ 24 times for 3k in total damage... in a 1 min battle that's @ 6k

And at 1.5 would hit only 20 times in 30 seconds and 40 times in 1 min so that's 2.5k or 5k... in damage...

So you tell me how insignificant that is? IMO that's not an insignificant loss of damage... 1k in damage is a MAJOR loss...

And that's saying that you aren't having to move out of range to heal, having the mob move out of range, getting lagged to all heck from the mob using novablast or some other silly BS that kills the client... or you being able to get close enough to hit it right away or any other factors...

That's just like prime conditions... with a slower bow your going to be losing a lot of damage over time... the longer the time the more loss...

Now changing moving shot to miss more or whatever won't really effect any of that... most people at an EM event aren't using moving shot much if ever.

It's very irritational when your primary skill in constantly getting nerfed because of PvP balance. I've played an archer since the first day I started UO. I've seen a lot of changes to the skill over the years... some I'll admit were needed... I still recall hitting with a Heavy Crossbow PvP at 75+ in one shot... that was a tad overpowered. I also recall doing massive damage with the magical shortbow which got such a nerf that it is now a totally useless bow... same with the repeating xbow... which makes about 3/4 of the "artifact" bows useless just by being what they are... and you can say that most the arties for swords and fencing are useless too but swords and fencing have 2x the choices in weapons that archers do...
5k damage is way enough for looting rights at EM events. I am pretty sure even 1k is enough. Sometimes I did 2-3 hits and got looting rights and sometimes a drop. I dont think the 1.5 Swing cap would effect the chance of any archer/thrower at EM events. Dont forget all those multi boxers with 1.25 throwers/archers and every other primer 1.25 ranged attacker will be slower too, giving more time for everyone.
So I am also for 1.5 Swing cap. Not every PvM archer/thrower is at the 1.25 swing cap and I think there is no problem ranged dexxer swinged a bit slower. They are at the top of the damager list at most bosses and the little more swing delay wouldnt change it. If parry stays at it is, I am pretty much for it as focus spec restriction skill, maybe put alchemy as well.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i would make a little HCI penalty and raise the mana cost while use moving shot, i would not lower the max swing

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lance does very comparable damage.... on the first hit.
what hits harder than the lance? The Crossbow. (because of velocity)
The damage isn't why I use it though, which is nice... I use it because of the utility that comes with it.
running and additional risk that is common knowledge, but few players exploit it's weakness (legally) :D.

That weatherman's warning couldn't have been aired for real could it? Harsh... not without reason, but damn !

Really the common factor is evil omen, which also allows players to be evil omen paralyzed at 120 resists and increases the poison strength.

Would you nerf that or stacking?

Your call.
Stacking Curse + Corpse > Evil Omen.

I'd nerf stacking because Evil-Omen is a one-time use per cast. It can be removed by an apple.. but it's not worth wasting your apple to remove it and risk the stronger debuffs while you're apple is on cooldown. removing evil omen alone even with chivalry-Remove Curse isn't worth the mana cost of remove curse.

Curse & Corpse even without stacking are both debuffs that effect damage you take from any source If their damage types are done to the resistances that are lowered.

up to -25 fire/poison is too much of a resistance drop for anything to be paired with it. but the templates that benefit the most from it, are the ones you can't run away from. Archery > Moving shot.
This response has me slightly worried. not so much that it would effect my template though, it wouldn't effect my opinion on the viability of my dexer template..because I've used the template before Corpse skin effected the caps.
but..

There are only two things changing the duration of Curse, corpse skin, or even both if stacked could do.

1) if the duration is 28.75s or longer it's not going to matter. (waste of resources, don't bother doing this)
2) If the durations are shorter than ~30sec you're risking the viability of any mage and any focused necro-template. (a waste of resources but also a loss in template variety, not worth the risk)

Just don't let them have a 100% bonus stack. That's the only problem with it.

Right now, it stacks up to against a target with all 70s in resists:

Both stacked = Physical - Energy 70/45/60/45/60 (Current "stack").
Physical - Energy 70/55/60/55/60 (Proposed "stack").

Curse alone = 70/60/60/60/60 = -40% total resistances evenly divided between 4 types.
Corpse alone= 70/55/70/55/70 = -30% total resistances evenly divided between 2 types.

stacked with the proposed example - 70/55/60/55/60 = -50% total resistances (-5 more fire & poison) which is still better than just one or the other.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Allowing over capping of DCI again is a bad idea. It's going to make the parry mage even stronger
Yea, it wouldn't be the same as it was anyway even without Parry being part of it.

when Overcapping DCI was disabled.
Lower Defense also had a reduction in effectiveness at the same time. It went from -25 dci to -15 dci (It's currently -15% DCI) also, HLD can't be applied to players that run 0 DCI.

Not allowing overcapping DCI is not nor has it ever been the problem.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) hard cap moving shot damage in pvp (even though its a terrible fix), or remove elemental damage from bows.

2) I think its a really bad idea, will hurt template diversity, its hard finding relevant skills on focused characters now.

3) removing over capped DCI hasn't hurt variety in mage templates at all, and 100% should not be added back into the game. It was stupid game mechanic, and will nerf all dexers for no reason when its just archery that needs to be nerfed.

4) corpse + curse actually just isn't fun to play against and shouldn't be stackable. Messing with curse duration just because one aspect has an overpowered interaction to another spell seems like a ridiculous fix, just fix the interaction.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The more I think about it the more I believe that removing elemental damage from bows is the fix for archery. The would put the damage in line to about 17-22 instead of 22-30 (or 10 million while corpsed). Then again, this might not actually be enough of a nerf. This + HCI penalty?

It would also make magic reflection reduction to 65 physical have more of a negative impact to getting hit by archery. Right now there's no reason to not have reflection on all the time because people only use elemental weapons and the reduced physical doesn't matter.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ALSO, can someone tell me if the majority (and bleak) agree that corpse/curse being stackable are overpowered? The thread is really long and I think I have lost track.
A Poll would give you a pretty good idea about that. (atleast with the majority of stratics users) Bleak, I'm not sure if his vote is in the poll or not.

But there is a poll that has to deal with it: Latest Corpse Skin Update, not really the same thing, but it does add to the problem, which is moving shot. one vs one & in groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.