• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Let's talk about the aesthetics of the loot system. (AKA I want some flashy colors and stuff!)

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yep, this again.

Okay so anymore we've got a Diablo-esque system where you kill things over and over and over to infinity for randomly generated items labeled with eight different levels of quality. Except unlike Diablo and every other game like it, items aren't distinguished by any kind of text name color, but by a string at the end of a giant paragraph of stats. Oh and the item color that indicates a magic item is grey.

Come on devs, it's like you went out of your way to make this as drab as possible. I know you've played games before, you've seen how this is supposed to be done. Here's what we need:

* Items hued according to quality level. Nothing super tasteless, just something easily distinguishable among a pile of random crap. Leave the lower-end crap default color, just don't make me mouse over everything on the corpse to see if anything of an interesting level dropped.

You know what, this was going to be a bullet point list but I think I'm leaving it with just one point.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, this again.

Okay so anymore we've got a Diablo-esque system where you kill things over and over and over to infinity for randomly generated items labeled with eight different levels of quality. Except unlike Diablo and every other game like it, items aren't distinguished by any kind of text name color, but by a string at the end of a giant paragraph of stats. Oh and the item color that indicates a magic item is grey.

Come on devs, it's like you went out of your way to make this as drab as possible. I know you've played games before, you've seen how this is supposed to be done. Here's what we need:

* Items hued according to quality level. Nothing super tasteless, just something easily distinguishable among a pile of random crap. Leave the lower-end crap default color, just don't make me mouse over everything on the corpse to see if anything of an interesting level dropped.

You know what, this was going to be a bullet point list but I think I'm leaving it with just one point.
Redesigning the item property display is something we hope to accomplish in a future update. Making item quality easily distinguishable is high up on the wish list. If you have further feedback as to what features you would like to see in an updated item property window, let us know!

Thanks for the feedback!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If this could be added to the EC with an option to make it configurable based on what particular item I was in need of , it would be just the thing to make me completely switch to ec and ditch the cc . Not trying to turn this into a client thread again. And I'm not familiar enough with Pincos to know if it will do this already or not.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix - when considering property display, why not make Item Identification useful to an extent? Basic properties like DPS, swing speed, etc can be readily seen ... but some level of Item ID is needed to see more. If Item ID is not to be made useful again, then I vote to remove it from the skill list because handing all the properties and abilities of an item to one by mousing over eliminates the need for it.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I certainly wouldn't mind some help distinguishing between the different types of loot. In fact, I wouldn't even mind less loot, so I wouldn't have to search through so much stuff. Many times I would just like to grab and go.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, Brittle items are hued Differently already. I don't think it would be a stretch to Make Legendary Brittle items a different color.

Armor:
Brittle Major - Green
Brittle Named Legendary - Blue
Brittle No Named Legendary - Purple

Non Brittle Major - Red
Non Brittle Legendary - Yellow/Gold

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jewels Would be More Tricky. Maybe do Same Color Scheme but based on the # of mods?

Antique
8 Mod -
9 Mod -
10 Mod -
11 Mod +

Clean would have to be Frickin Neon to stand out, Like crystalline's
Clean Greater -
Clean Major -
Clean Legendary -

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Great, while you're at it, sharpen up the icons and the chat text to be crisper like Pinco's as well

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Redesigning the item property display is something we hope to accomplish in a future update. Making item quality easily distinguishable is high up on the wish list. If you have further feedback as to what features you would like to see in an updated item property window, let us know!

Thanks for the feedback!
Nothing fancy, past a certain level just hue items according to which intensity category they fall into. The hues don't need to be unique or fancy, just distinguishable. That's it. That's enough to let us know at a glance what's worth mousing over, and give us that little bit of "monkey gets a grape" feedback when the corpse opens that systems like this run on.

Take the rest of the time you might have spent on something more elaborate and spend it on a "display dragons as reptalons so you can see WTF is going on at events" interface toggle instead.

I know that UO is a monstrous heap of spaghetti code where everything takes five times longer than it should and changing anything tends to break stuff for no reason, but neither of these changes are very complicated, and both would do a lot for quality of life.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I seriously despise posts like this more than anything else you see around here.

Like do you have any actual valid reason why "sorting through dozens of poorly distinguished items" is a valuable game mechanic that it would be a mistake to streamline away?

No? Then why are you posting?
But... But... It's change. We fear change ;)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks for the feedback!
this would be an absolutely worthless update. you can have a 15 mod legendary with all junk stats, or a 7 mod lesser arty with absolutely perfect stats. until every legendary is "better" than loot with less mods, a color system would just be pointless.

also think about that many play the game for the classic look and aesthetics, if you start screwing with how our armor looks many people will not enjoy mousing over their painstakingly aquired suits of armor.

if someone wants a color system, they already have that in pincos and other mods.

please dont junk up the standard clients when its not even useful.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But... But... It's change. We fear change ;)
I seriously despise posts like this more than anything else you see around here.

Like do you have any actual valid reason why "sorting through dozens of poorly distinguished items" is a valuable game mechanic that it would be a mistake to streamline away?

No? Then why are you posting?
Would you like the DEVs to just play the game for you or would that be to much to ask. This is nothing but pure laziness that will only be in one client, but maybe this is there way to get all CC users to leave and then they can whine when UO shuts down.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Would you like the DEVs to just play the game for you or would that be to much to ask. This is nothing but pure laziness that will only be in one client, but maybe this is there way to get all CC users to leave and then they can whine when UO shuts down.
In other words no, you have absolutely no gameplay reason to offer for why such a change would be bad. You're just a crank who thinks wanting to avoid pointless tedium is "laziness" somehow.

Why don't people like you just go get jobs or find something else worthwhile to do with all this excess "work ethic" of yours besides whine about how much "effort" people put into sorting magic pixel swords on the internet?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In other words no, you have absolutely no gameplay reason to offer for why such a change would be bad. You're just a crank who thinks wanting to avoid pointless tedium is "laziness" somehow.

Why don't people like you just go get jobs or find something else worthwhile to do with all this excess "work ethic" of yours besides whine about how much "effort" people put into sorting magic pixel swords on the internet?
LMAO Wittle boy got a wittle touchy did he, poor wittle boy. I have already retired from 2 jobs and it is way more fun getting lazy peoples goat. Why do you even play UO because it sure aint to relax, OMG DEVs I have to sort this loot PLEASE give me an easy button with auto loot to help me out, LMAO. Maybe you should rethink why you are playing a computer game if it is so tedious for you.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your ranting about what would essentially amount to a rather minor quality-of-life update is rather bizarre, tbh. Games should always strive to improve their user friendliness to take the tedium out of irritating tasks to allow users to focus on the enjoyable aspects of gameplay. I fail to see how anyone could have an issue with this.

I mean, it's like getting upset with the change ages ago that made it so you could cut a whole stack of cloth into bandages by targeting it with scissors once rather than having to repeat it for each bandage you wanted on the basis that it was making the game "easy." It's nothing to do with making gameplay "easy" at all, it's just removing unnecessary ball-ache so you can focus on activities which are actually enjoyable.

Enziet

Journeyman
Meh, it could go either way for me. The current system works just fine. But then again I don't mind reading and can understand how percentages work.

I guess colours would make it easier for the simple folk.

Doesn't really affect my game play experience if the text was coloured to reflect and items rarity. Just hopefully they add it to the classic client as well, so we can uncheck the box and not have the colours if we don't want to have them on.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is a great idea, and would be an extremely useful feature. Thanks for posting this Spocks Beard.

Frankly Im amazed people are quick to shoot ideas like this down - it makes me realize the mixed messages devs get which then leads me to understand why this game is in such a sad convoluted state. The loot system is overly comlicated and sorting through bags of crap is a pain in the ass. Do people really enjoy sifting through piles of crap? I almost dread having to do it because the more time i spend looting the less time i spend hunting. With all the whack systems in this game this is something that could certainly use some refining. And for the love of god why even have cursed/antique items. Just have mobs drop less and get rid of that crap.

Also i like the idea of having item ID useful for high end loot - i realize it adds an extra step but at least it adds to the excitement of getting good loot and makes a totally useless skill useful again.

I would combine these ideas and hue rare, legendary etc items to make em stand out in a corpse and then upon being ID'd return them to a normal color.

Or as other people might prefer lets have the devs work on overlly complicated updates that might sound exciting but no one ever uses after a month of release. Something like that useless trophy hunting system comes to mind. I would rather watch ice melt then hunt bears and wolves or whatever that poorly thought out system encourages and others like it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really don't see how wanting color or some other visual indication of a randomly generated item's quality equates to the devs playing the game for you. I mean, I can't even think of another game with a randomized loot system that doesn't make efforts to make the value of items easily distinguishable. o_O

Are you opposed to items being labeled "major", "Greater", "Legendary Artifact"? Because that's the exact same thing.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I want to play Diablo, I would play Diablo. I don't much care to see a useless Legendary with the worst combination of stats possible to have a special color of its own.
Explain to me why it would be a bad thing. The worst thing it could possibly do is make your life more simple when sifting through possibly literally 50 items on a corpse or in a chest.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks for the feedback!
Me personally, more than anything, I want an item's "base" stats, like weight, weapon type, stuff like that to be clearly distinguishable from an item's magical properties. You rarely need to know that information.

I would just do 4 things.

1) Make base stats and magic stats clearly separate. Perhaps with all the base stats at the bottom under a dividing line.
2) Color the magic properties to make them stand out clearly. Blue for positive, red for negative. Dull blue for non capped property bright blue for a property at cap.
3) Color item name based on type, magic, major, greater, etc. Could also just be shades of blue.
4) For "artifacts" actually color the item. The most vibrant cool looking color for legendary. Give people something else to chase.

Oops make it 5- color code resists, and make them clearly separate as well.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really don't see how wanting color or some other visual indication of a randomly generated item's quality equates to the devs playing the game for you. I mean, I can't even think of another game with a randomized loot system that doesn't make efforts to make the value of items easily distinguishable. o_O

Are you opposed to items being labeled "major", "Greater", "Legendary Artifact"? Because that's the exact same thing.
Explain to me why it would be a bad thing. The worst thing it could possibly do is make your life more simple when sifting through possibly literally 50 items on a corpse or in a chest.
Just asking for the easy button for their auto loot program, as for the CC users we will just have to do it the old fashion way. It will not be long that the EC will be greater than the CC or current EC with 3rd party add-ons. Are the DEVs trying to force us to go to the EC or use add-ons just to compete. I will not use the EC because I CAN NOT stand the graphics, esp their concept of how our old pets look and I am so against 3rd party add-ons but before to long CC users will not have a choice if they want to be on par with the EC.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My two cents: I wouldn't mind seeing magic item loot colored differently than the standard dreary gray it currently is, but it shouldn't exactly be a priority either if this is something that would take a heavy amount of time to code. Hopefully, any new coloration system to have some rhyme and reason to it - not just randomization. My personal preference would be for any new loot colors to be pale pastels - it would make current dyes less useful and less valuable if new loot dropped in bright and flashy colors.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just asking for the easy button for their auto loot program, as for the CC users we will just have to do it the old fashion way. It will not be long that the EC will be greater than the CC or current EC with 3rd party add-ons. Are the DEVs trying to force us to go to the EC or use add-ons just to compete. I will not use the EC because I CAN NOT stand the graphics, esp their concept of how our old pets look and I am so against 3rd party add-ons but before to long CC users will not have a choice if they want to be on par with the EC.
I don't use an auto loot program. I would wager most people don't and I and I would also wager most people would find such an addition not only very handy, but also very overdue. As for the rest of it, you are clearly being silly. They aren't trying to force us into playing the EC with this, it's a feature people want, and have asked for.

I don't play the EC either, and I won't. That doesn't mean it's not a good change regardless of what client it's on.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My two cents: I wouldn't mind seeing magic item loot colored differently than the standard dreary gray it currently is, but it shouldn't exactly be a priority either if this is something that would take a heavy amount of time to code. Hopefully, any new coloration system to have some rhyme and reason to it - not just randomization. My personal preference would be for any new loot colors to be pale pastels - it would make current dyes less useful and less valuable if new loot dropped in bright and flashy colors.
I think any color not currently available would do. Doesn't have to be flashy, just unique.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
God I pity the devs having to try to glean worthwhile feedback from this forum. It's mostly a bunch of antiquated non-gamers who need the most elementary things explained to them at length just so they can shake their cane at it. Look at this thread. It's a bunch of people who've never played Diablo 2, never played Titan Quest, never played Torchlight, never played any RPG with any kind of randomized loot-farming endgame.

Then when you do finally laboriously explain to them design concepts that were considered elementary well over a decade ago, you get some old crank ranting about how they love mousing over 40 different items and reading text strings, thank you very much, and you whippersnappers with your "colors" and your "usable interface" just don't know the value of hard work.

It's a joke.

Okay one more time since the reading comprehension level around here seems to be low:

The change proposed in the OP is extraordinarily simple. You know how the game already applies a tag to items like "lesser magic item" or "major artifact" or whatever? Well when it does that, it should also change the item's hue to one that corresponds to each level of item. This should take only a tiny amount of code.

The colors that are used don't need to be flashy, or distracting, or unique, they just need to be distinguishable. Any colors are fine. Cheap dye colors are fine. Standard ore colors are fine. It doesn't matter.

The purpose of these colors isn't to tell you "This item is guaranteed to be good!" any more than the tags we already have. It's literally just adding a visual component to those tags so you know what things are without having to individually mouse over each and every item on a corpse full of crap.

Especially a boss corpse that will probably despawn before you finish examining the epic amount of crap on it.

This has nothing to do with the EC versus the CC, the price of tea in China, or where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. Both clients... you know... display items and colors, so the change works exactly the same on both.

It's an extraordinarily simple quality of life change that should take about fifteen minutes to code and which has no actual drawbacks outside of the fevered imagination of some doofus who has never played anything but UO and Atari 2600.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
a corpse full of crap.
If the good stuff had a special color, you'd only pick up those and leave the rest untouched, right?

So, why not just reduce the number of items to, let's say 5-6 per corpse with a 2% chance, that one would be a real 'Legendary Artifact'.

The rest should be usable items for either imbuing or recycling.

No need for more colors please, and yes, once and for all, let's get rid of 'Cursed', 'Antique' and 'Brittle'.

Would that be so bad?

Oh, and let all monster have a small (1 in 10000) chance of carrying an artifact. I would love to whack that stupid mongbat at my library, open the corpse and find an incredibly nice ring or even a small weapon, next to the pile of 32 gold pieces. :smile2:

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
No need for more colors please
Again:

The colors that are used don't need to be flashy, or distracting, or unique, they just need to be distinguishable. Any colors are fine. Cheap dye colors are fine. Standard ore colors are fine. It doesn't matter.
Like I'm sorry, would having to look at ordinary ore colors be too much of a burden on you? Fourteen years after neon hued AoS artifacts, 11 years after pigments of Tokuno, 7 years after natural dyes? Really?

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Rare and above loot can just be highlighted (non-neon) in corpse and when looted the color could dissapear, but the same color can be used in the items name (text). Little more complicated but serves the purpose of eye balling a bag corpse and being able to pull out the better stuff. Maybe a clunky idea but something should be done to not have to sort through nonsense. And yea it doesnt need to be neon.

Or just make make it such that mobs dont drop a ton of crap. Event bosses, champs etc. drop too much useless stuff. Making imbueing skill less tedious to gain if people are concerned about not having enough items to unroll. Late and tired so these may be bad ideas. But this game does generate too much crap items. What other game has you kill a boss and then you get rewarded with 57 items and only 2 items might be useful??

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
I'm sorry, would having to look at ordinary ore colors be too much of a burden on you?
Crafted weapons and armor bear the colors of the type of ore they are made of, so I do that already. :wink:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the good stuff had a special color, you'd only pick up those and leave the rest untouched, right?
How would that be any different than it is now? The only difference is you wouldn't have to mouse over everything to tell which items few items potentially were not garbage.

So, why not just reduce the number of items to, let's say 5-6 per corpse with a 2% chance, that one would be a real 'Legendary Artifact'.
What's more likely an overall loot table overhaul, or a simply application of colors corresponding to item type?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No need for more colors please, and yes, once and for all, let's get rid of 'Cursed', 'Antique' and 'Brittle'.
I'm against removing these properties just because they're inconvenient. Every item in the game should not last forever.

The purpose of these colors isn't to tell you "This item is guaranteed to be good!" any more than the tags we already have. It's literally just adding a visual component to those tags so you know what things are without having to individually mouse over each and every item on a corpse full of crap.

Especially a boss corpse that will probably despawn before you finish examining the epic amount of crap on it.
Agreed. Something to distinguish one item from the next would be God send when having to go through a Scalis corpse after it goes public during a net toss with a large group, or for any EM events.

Regarding a corpse full of crap - this is especially true for weapons. 99 out of 100 weapons are unusable trash. It's probably an entirely separate topic from colorization, but the type of weapons that fall on lootable corpses needs an overhaul. And if that's impossible, then the amount that drop cut down by a large amount.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How would that be any different than it is now? The only difference is you wouldn't have to mouse over everything to tell which items few items potentially were not garbage.
you would, i dont understand why people arent seeing this. a color system would be totally pointless. if you didnt still mouse over them youd most likely be losing out on some of the best stuff.

i think the people asking for it are either scripters who see this as making an easier afk/public corpes auto-loot program, or people who are so clueless about what makes a good piece of armor that they rather just loot a color to at least give them a feeling that they were looting the best stuff (when i reality they would probably still be looting 95 percent junk, and missing the best stuff because it was the wrong color) I just dont see why it woud be useful. youd still have to mouse over everything to see the exact stats no matter what color it is.

Last edited:

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Brittle I guess I don't mind because it's just like imbued, whatever.

Cursed and antique though? I've never even seen anyone using those items. Same with the 125 str crap. They add these negative mods like it's some sort of balancing act we'll have to consider, when in reality that stuff all gets unraveled or trashed.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
you would, i dont understand why people arent seeing this. a color system would be totally pointless. if you didnt still mouse over them youd most likely be losing out on some of the best stuff.

i think the people asking for it are either scripters who see this as making an easier afk/public corpes auto-loot program, or people who are so clueless about what makes a good piece of armor that they rather just loot a color to at least give them a feeling that they were looting the best stuff (when i reality they would probably still be looting 95 percent junk, and missing the best stuff because it was the wrong color)
I don't want to mouse over the 500 lesser magic items on every corpse, period.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

i think the people asking for it are either scripters who see this as making an easier afk/public corpes auto-loot program, or people who are so clueless about what makes a good piece of armor that they rather just loot a color to at least give them a feeling that they were looting the best stuff (when i reality they would probably still be looting 95 percent junk, and missing the best stuff because it was the wrong color) I just dont see why it woud be useful. youd still have to mouse over everything to see the exact stats no matter what color it is.
I'm asking for it. I'm not a scripter. I don't even use uoa. I only play actively and "normally". It wouldn't be pointless, it would save a ton of time. I don't need to look at the stats on a lot of stuff, because they will be junk I have no use for.

I mean, I think almost literally every game with random itemization has color coded or some other visual indicator of quality, and for good cause. It's not such a crazy expectation.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Brittle I guess I don't mind because it's just like imbued, whatever.

Cursed and antique though? I've never even seen anyone using those items. Same with the 125 str crap. They add these negative mods like it's some sort of balancing act we'll have to consider, when in reality that stuff all gets unraveled or trashed.
Being on siege I love brittle. It's actually a bonus rather than a curse! Just like a fully powdered imbued item which is what my suits are generally composed of, so... :p

The others I don't mind. I use both if I find something worth using, but again, mainly because of no insurance, so curse doesn't mean anything, and could very well lose an antique before it poofs.

The 50 stone items are horrible. Especially if you are just farming for unravel stuff, and tossing everything you find into a bag. Sorting through that **** to find the hatchet that's over loading you is a real pain. 125 stuff usually also just means "can't use it". So I think it's a bit too harsh.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly the only thing you're going to find in those kind of items is something with 1-2 complimentary overcapped stats that you can imbue, and those are super rare. The rest is just unravel fodder.

As for the rest, honestly, the odds that something below artifact level is going to replace an imbued piece of armor really are rather low.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This is an interesting idea, but I would prefer to have different colours for the different properties of the item when one hovers over it.
It makes finding that an item has a property of interest much easier and faster than having to read all the the properties in the same dull white colour.

Pinco UI does that, but it is far too bloated for my liking. And I am entirely too lazy to code my own. I spend most of my day coding at work. Free time is for games, brewing booze and adult fun, not more work. :p

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in terms of lesser magic items, so what exactly would you be asking for? them all be the same color? if this was the case, out of those 500 items you may be missing the one worth 150m or the ones in the 5 to 35m range in terms of rarity of single mod stats and overcaps.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
in terms of lesser magic items, so what exactly would you be asking for? them all be the same color? if this was the case, out of those 500 items you may be missing the one worth 150m or the ones in the 5 to 35m range in terms of rarity of single mod stats and overcaps.
Seriously, every random loot game in history has had lower-tier items that were more desirable than higher-tier ones due to randomness. Somehow none of those games thought it was a good idea to force a player to mouse over every single item before revealing what the tier even was.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i mean how exactly would it even be done? cross reference the negatives mixed with the positives (and some negatives are actuall a postive, like prized, or a nuetral to an extent, like the 50 stone one)

if your saying "just make all legendaries blue" that would be entirely pointless and actually lead to new/unexperienced players looting allot of junk because it was the "good" color and missing out on some of the best loot in the game.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously, every random loot game in history has had lower-tier items that were more desirable than higher-tier ones due to randomness. Somehow none of those games thought it was a good idea to force a player to mouse over every single item before revealing what the tier even was.
i dont see the point in those games either tho. just because other games did it doesnt mean it was a good idea. i would like to think if a color system were added that it would need to be something that would actually be useful and not just another string of code that would cause crashes and lag problems. hell, in many cases even without color you alsmost crash looting a scalis or crimson dragon. i can see this additional code causeing even more performance issues.

i guess if the devs want to throw in a worthless color system just for the sake of having one it would be fine (as long as it caused absolutely no loss of performance), but to make one that was actually useful would be a huge time investment of coming up with complicated algorithims to give some basis of assiging a color to "good" loot.

ill say once more, you can have absolute junk with 15 mods. a 150m piece with 1 mod. and prized/clean is a whole other category becuase the average stuff is "better" just because it doesnt wear out.

id also like to note that the other games like Diablo that you speak of dont have the negative properties in the color-coded mix. its alot simpler in those games.

good luck with whoever takes on this project. they would most likely have to hire another dev and have that dev work on it for 6 months for it to be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
i dont see the point in those games either tho. just because other games did it doesnt mean it was a good idea.
Yeah gosh, maybe UO forcing you to mouse over every single item to know what tier it belongs to is actually an IMPROVEMENT over all those other successful games.

i would like to think if a color system were added that it would need to be something that would actually be useful and not just another string of code that would cause crashes and lag problems. hell, in many cases even without color you alsmost crash looting a scalis or crimson dragon. i can see this additional code causeing even more performance issues.
This is one of the worst examples of "I want to be contrarian but don't know what I'm talking about" I've seen lately, and this forum basically runs on that so that's saying something. Cluebat: Items and their properites (including hue) are generated when the monster dies, not when you open the corpse, and the client doesn't work any harder to display a green sword (or whatever) than a plain iron colored one.

But yeah no, you're a real knowledgable player with valid concerns that we should take seriously.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm personally ok with that, not that those items are worth anything nearly as impressive on my shard. I have stopped hunting monsters for loot because the tedium of sorting through **** is just too boring. Anything non boss worth hunting drops at least a dozen items, and instantly respawns. It's a constant chain of scanning long unseparated lists of properties on quickly hundreds of items .. It's just not fun. I started just looking at the item type when I hunt and ignoring anything below major, so a color code system would be great for me.

Of course everyone could still look over the stats on every item, if they chose to. This system would just make things simpler.

Surely if you oppose the actual items being colored you can't be opposed to the properties be grouped and colorized to make them easily scannable. I personally would like both.

Last edited: