• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dev's when making new items can you make them turnable?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like 99% of new event items now a days can not be turned with the house tool..
@Mesanna, @Bleak, @Kyronix Is it possible to fix this?
I think its something any collector or decoer would greatly appreciate.

*Not sure if this is the right place to post this. If not sorry mods!*
They could at least make them flippable without requiring extra artwork.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

one of my biggest pet peeves. Its like they design it all by itself and never look at the item in a house locked down with other items.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Can you be more specific? Generally all the new stuff gets added to the interior decorator when it can.

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like promathia said, it is the EM event drops. Im at work now but off the top of my head i know.
Almost every painting from a EM event is non turnable; a scrap of memory torn from the mind of charlotte, the crux an picture, a tattered sho from rondorin empire ect, ect..
And then a bunch of other EM event item;
Rangers Garb
the Unfinished Timepiece clock
a toxic potion of a verulent rose
A golden mechanical songbird
A bronze shield replica
a bunch of the sword display event drops.
All of the Hanging axe/sword type of drops, like the new Vlad the torturers torturers tools

Also the new stealables from Eoden i think all are not turnable. I know for sure the carved myrmidex glyph and lava rock. But i think all the others aswell.. the old ruined paint stealable to can not be turned.

I know it is a very small thing in the grand scheme of the game. But for collectors or anyone who deco's its a tad bit annoying. when you pick up a item to fill a certain part of your house and then you cant use it bc its not turnable.

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix I am not a programmer and have no idea how much time or effort one would take to make.
But would it be possible to make a chest like grass/snow tile or the vet robe/cloak chest just with a different function??
Have a chest that you can drop a item in that can not be turned and you get the same item back but it is now turnable?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix I am not a programmer and have no idea how much time or effort one would take to make.
But would it be possible to make a chest like grass/snow tile or the vet robe/cloak chest just with a different function??
Have a chest that you can drop a item in that can not be turned and you get the same item back but it is now turnable?
It wouldn't be necessary to create a box like that. In order to make something turn the interior decorator needs to know which objects correspond to which facings. If there are specific items that don't turn that you'd like to be able to turn you can send us the object type number (you can use the EC or ask someone with the EC to get the number) to [email protected]

Thanks!

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix omg that is awesome thank you!!!
I'm at work now but I'll def send in some things when I get home.
Also do you need just the I'd number or should I also list the items name?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oh this is good news. I had a few deco ideas for the stealable wall but was rather upset when I found they couldn't be turned, fixing this would be awesome! Thanks!

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix
It has been almost a year and well over 30 emails sent with ID#'s.. Not one item has ever been fixed to let us turn.. Was this something that you ended up not being able to do?

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Next publish release notes:
- Fixed a bug where turning EM event items with the interior decorator caused the item to lose its unique hue and name....

As a developer, I can say sometimes things sound like they should be really easy to implement until you look at the code. "Oh yeah, we can do that no problem" *looks at code* "Oh... **** me"

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
What grimiz said.

Just getting the ID number of the item is one thing, but then it could revert to its unhued state and never get back to the EM's customs again.
Part of the issue is how the EM created the item. Sometimes they just create an item on the fly and do not think about these things - after all, they are also not developers.

Coding is not always so cut and dry... particularly OOP where more than one client has to render a specific graphic.

Two ways to fix this:
1 - Educate EMs on the process for creating a fully functional item
OR
2 - EMs communicate that a particular item/drop will not be manageable by the deco tool

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
just allow every item in game the ability to turn lol. can start with any new item. be careful on some stuff that turns and then u cant pick it up, or possible name change, or other bugs. good idea
* still hoping refinements will become stackable

Last edited: