• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is your favorite part of Time of Legends?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is your favorite part of Time of Legends? Is it the new instances? Skill Masteries? Craftables? Tameable? Or something else?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Onslaught and stagger.
I rather like dragon turtles too, but since getting them is too much of a nuisance, I can't list them here. You need to do a most boring spawn to have the chance to get an egg that then will have the chance of hatching into a half decent dragon turtle... Yeah, no.

I haven't set foot on Eodon this year.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spellweaving und Ninjitsu Masteries and Banana Horde!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spellweaving Mastery that let's me be able to get a good focus when I want it. Other than that it's just monsters with to many hit points, your yawning by the time the dang things die.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm loving quite a bit of it and I'm hopeful the Dev Team will continue to add to it (Haakur Tribe Troglodytes anyone?). At the top of my list, it has given rise to many shard-wide group hunts and I love the necromancy charm undead!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I am enjoying the Turtle Hatchlings, but wished they would put a cap on the low end ones. It is frustrating seeing so many 2.8 and lower rated ones after all the effort to even get an egg. Also enjoyed the quests to get the new items as well as the tamable Black and White Tigers. Yeah, I am a pixel adddict *shrugs*

Looking forward to the next part of the arc as well. So far the tribes folk are fun to kill and at times drop some decent loot.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enjoyed players coming back to play it then they leave.

Shame the Devs don't care enough to try and attract a good player base back again.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Shame the Devs don't care enough to try and attract a good player base back again.
Seriously? One of these days folks should back up their bogus claims like this with something other than conjecture. The way some folks think amaze me. It's almost like they think the Devs sit around a table every morning and have a "How can we screw up UO today" meeting or something...

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way some folks think amaze me. It's almost like they think the Devs sit around a table every morning and have a "How can we screw up UO today" meeting or something...
:p The sad part is how much evidence there is for that opinion. Makes it almost plausible.

Take off the fanboy blinders and go wander about the game, the things they've done to give that impression are hard to miss, it's almost got me convinced. :pie:

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
By far the taming masteries. Level 3 / 120 Taming Whisper and Consume Damage are very nice. :)

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Masteries are a lot more fun than I anticipated (Stagger, Tiger Form, Consume Damage, Onslaught, Command Undead, Summon Reaper, just fun all around). While I HATE the turtle tameable, I LOVE the tiger tames A LOT. I like 3 of the 5 stealables (rock, glyph, tiger) and glad to see they are more random. Shadowguard can eat a bag of *****, that has been disappointing (the Belfry is 95% of that though, I love the Bar). I like the new quests for the most part, TRex is a bit much for two folks to get through. The Fancy Kilt and Flowery Dress are cool craftables and the Cards of Semidar are AWESOME (PLEASE RELEASE MORE MORE MORE). And Vic is right, considering it was free, I'm really happy with it. Way more than I expected. BUUUTTTT, I wish the land was fixed (the No Image tags above the volcano on Siege just look terrible). And I wish the Belfry Dragon would die in a fire.

@Kyronix I am digging Eodon.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think my list of what I DON'T like is shorter :)

Love the tigers...hate killing them to get a good one to spawn but that's the same with any tamable. I have 3 pretty decent ones, one of each color of course!

Love the Turtle Hatchlings, I managed to get a semi-decent one that I do the roof with now, he kicks major butt!

The Valley of One Quest chain is interesting..I do NOT like rescuing the tiger cubs only because I don't like the little puzzle thing...I make my bestie get those keys for me ;) Love the concept though, I think they worked them in very nicely in how we have to prove ourselves worthy to walk their lands, at least the tribes don't attack us anymore :) The T-Rex and Great Ape are super fun, not too hard but very cool in implementation.

Love the fact that random mirimex spawn while you're killing other things...makes it less of a grind and more interesting!

The masteries are interesting....I guess I just have to re-work my suit on my tamer because running any mastery on her eats through my mana like nothing and I can't run it for long but I love the concept. I've only used that one and my archery mastery, flaming arrow is....meh :/ I don't ever see it doing anything super cool but I like the graphics! lol

I am still trying to collect all the recipe scrolls, I have no luck with that....but overall I like it and am looking forward to the next installment!

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see comments like this and don't think they are entirely fair. To explain my point, here is a chart of designers, engineers, and world-builders by expansion to show how few things have gotten. All of the information is from the credits file in the game folder.

There has also been a drop in the number of QA people, GMs, and so on. Despite these losses, I think there are a lot of nice elements in this expansion. I really enjoy the masteries, and outrunning the volcano can be fun for a bit.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My favorite part is that one time they said we were going to get an expansion for free.... Past that... I would still rather have an account mngment site that was intuitive, and allowed people to pay with ease.

But thanks for the free expansion.

Cuno

Adventurer
I enjoy Shadowguard with my guildies. I think it's excellent how some of the encounters require working through a puzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I see comments like this and don't think they are entirely fair. To explain my point, here is a chart of designers, engineers, and world-builders by expansion to show how few things have gotten. All of the information is from the credits file in the game folder.

There has also been a drop in the number of QA people, GMs, and so on. Despite these losses, I think there are a lot of nice elements in this expansion. I really enjoy the masteries, and outrunning the volcano can be fun for a bit.
Nice chart. Each square represents how many people?

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice chart. Each square represents how many people?
Thanks! I figured a chart would drive the point home more than simply listing the numbers. Each square is a person. The square that is half designer, half world-builder is because Kyronix is credited that way in the ToL's credits.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blimey. Thats depressing. I hasnt realised it was that bad.
Talk about a Skelton crew. I wonder if EA is going to do what Arena Net did to guild Wars. Leave 1 person that was developer/engineer to work on it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I guess, regardless of reason, if its not great it's not great. I would add that there are issues I have with it that have little to do with how many, but rather which people were working on it. Completely subjective, but...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The announcement.

After that I totally lost hope in the team. Obviously they never even tested the new lands in the EC. The client frooze when you got to close to those pyramid (obviously nobody ever tested the EC there). In the new PvM encounter you can only see like 8 tiles around you, while the rooms are much larger (again: What the heck did QA think there? "uhm thats ugly but lets pretend we never zoomed out and didnt catch it!").

It's an horrible dogma taken about world building there to do it with dynamic objects instead of a static world. I am actually very glad we had more professional teams back when most of the world was designed. Otherwise I would probably have to wander Britannia in an 8-tile view distance instead of having a nice forrest going from the very top to the very bottom of my screen.

But then at some point stop caring, shake your head for a second, and move on. Maybe I'm just not playing the game the Bonnie-way ;)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My guild does Shadowguard rooms and the Roof encounter almost every night after our 9pm official guild hunts. We have it mastered down to a T at this point, but it's always interesting trying new templates down there, or taking new players there for the first time and seeing how they perform.

Overall, I like the over world. It still needs some new content, but clearly they are adding to it piece by piece. It would be nice if some of the EM events could utilize this area more often to show us spaces that we might not otherwise be using just yet.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My guild does Shadowguard rooms and the Roof encounter almost every night after our 9pm official guild hunts. We have it mastered down to a T at this point, but it's always interesting trying new templates down there, or taking new players there for the first time and seeing how they perform.
Yea, the mechanics are great. That's why I was actually excited (poor me). But then the implementation kills all the immersion for me. It's I have to either keep max zoomed in, or constantly see half of the room disappear and re-appear when moving. I tried but it just frustrated me.

Lets again refer to this video for reference:

Now please imagine you would run through the woods or Brit and every tree, river or whatever would disappear after half the screen, leaving only green acres around the center of your screen.

Devs never acknoledged it as a problem at all. In the CC it is no problem as your view is fixed. And for the EC I personally cant think of QA ever zooming out there (new EC UI has also no zoom functionalty configured by default).

@Kyronix @Mesanna

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yea, the mechanics are great. That's why I was actually excited (poor me). But then the implementation kills all the immersion for me. It's I have to either keep max zoomed in, or constantly see half of the room disappear and re-appear when moving. I tried but it just frustrated me.

Lets again refer to this video for reference:

Now please imagine you would run through the woods or Brit and every tree, river or whatever would disappear after half the screen, leaving only green acres around the center of your screen.

Devs never acknoledged it as a problem at all. In the CC it is no problem as your view is fixed. And for the EC I personally cant think of QA ever zooming out there (new EC UI has also no zoom functionalty configured by default).

@Kyronix @Mesanna
I play the EC too, so I have recognized the problem... but it's really not a big deal. Aside from the fact that it takes me a few extra seconds to get into the Bar or Fountain encounters compared to my fellow CC users, I have never had any consequences from the tiling appearing to not cover the whole screen when zoomed out. Yes, it's one of those silly things that I wish they could've fixed before releasing - but it's also not one of those things I would want to have had the release held up for either. Let us not forget - we're playing a 20 year old game that simply isn't always going to be perfect.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I play the EC too, so I have recognized the problem... but it's really not a big deal. Aside from the fact that it takes me a few extra seconds to get into the Bar or Fountain encounters compared to my fellow CC users, I have never had any consequences from the tiling appearing to not cover the whole screen when zoomed out. Yes, it's one of those silly things that I wish they could've fixed before releasing - but it's also not one of those things I would want to have had the release held up for either. Let us not forget - we're playing a 20 year old game that simply isn't always going to be perfect.
Yea, I see where you coming from. But blaming it on the game being 20 years old is imho too easy. The world building decision taken there are nowhere to be found in other dungeons. Probably they thought it was a smart thing to do the instanced thing and allowing each room on the map to host each of the different types of rooms. But in the end they forgot about considering both clients in the process. I will probably never know, as the Dev team never said a single word about their perspective.

It's like you literally feel the producer(!) can't be bothered with anything EC related. You feel her dislike. You feel there is no QA for the EC. QA is a synonym for "Misk checks server + CC stuff". Did QA a full run through shadowguard on the EC? I doubt it.

If they just went for a static world build - like basically all other dungeons - we would not see this. Putting two rooms of each type on the map would probably had been sufficient as well.

Personally its all about "immersion" for me there. I even maintain my own UI to make my game more immersive. But you can only do so much if the Devs make that questionable moves *shrugs*

Last edited:

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You sound like the UO equivalent of a religious apologetic. Defending the shortcomings and making excuses for something that to be honest, simply isnt good enough.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have yet to try most of ToL, took me a hell of time to get the recipes I needed from killing tigers

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You sound like the UO equivalent of a religious apologetic. Defending the shortcomings and making excuses for something that to be honest, simply isnt good enough.
That's a lot of DERP, quite frankly. I'm just being a realist. I'm not defending shortcomings - I noted that these were infact issues, however, stated that IMHO it's not a big enough issue worth squawking over. There are plenty of people around here who find any little reason to complain about something, and I'm simply not one of them.

The Roof encounter is MORE than good enough. Sure, it isn't perfect and it would be nice to see a few things fixed, but I'm not going to hold my breathe either. It has been the best addition to the game since I have returned. My guild does atleast one or two full runs a night, from keying all rooms to finishing the bosses - often times in more than one group. Maybe you can refer to post #20 on this page here to see the size of the current development team and take into perspective that they have a lot on their plate aside from just the ToL expansion. That isn't an excuse - that's reality.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You wont ever convince anyone of those defetists and sourpusses... Regardless of what you argue. To them, all is doomed, all is negative, there is no hope, the game is dead, the Devs are crap... blah blah... Who cares for those people...

There is only one place for them: the IGNORE-LIST

;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You wont ever convince anyone of those defetists and sourpusses... Regardless of what you argue. To them, all is doomed, all is negative, there is no hope, the game is dead, the Devs are crap... blah blah... Who cares for those people...

There is only one place for them: the IGNORE-LIST

;)
Wonders if the ignore list has a cap ;)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Testing if she got on your ignore list yet :p
J/K

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, way to go. Participate in an online forum which is meant to be about discussion and debate and block anyone who's opinion you dislike. Kind of defeats the object.
Says the individual who always has a negative opinion about a game he does not even play :)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Says the individual who always has a negative opinion about a game he does not even play :)
I have lots of opinions. The point is I dont simply put my hands over my ears when someone with a differing opinion voices theirs. Im happy to discuss and debate. Thats the whole point of a forum. Im not quite sure why you cant grasp that simple concept.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
My tamers, (Sonoma) love the Turtle, even after going thru several that were :p
my Tailor on Sonoma loves the recipes for new clothes and armor, have yet to get any of them on Siege, someday.
Love the mastery but wish the 3s would fall more, its a pain to get nothing but 1s and a few 2s for working so hard

I don't like the Shadowguard, I think the rooms should be more like the Valley of one Quests and not tied to JUST one indivdual that is forced to do all the rooms to do the roof.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have lots of opinions. The point is I dont simply put my hands over my ears when someone with a differing opinion voices theirs. Im happy to discuss and debate. Thats the whole point of a forum. Im not quite sure why you cant grasp that simple concept.
Nope can't grasp how one can have an opinion about something they don't participate in. Guess I am just that stoopid :)