• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ok... what in the heck did they do to the drop rates?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Have done 8 Medusa solo and nothing. Not even the tooth or bow. Have done 6 solo Mel's and absolutely nothing. I used to get a drop at least every other time on either and a lot of the times every time on Medusa. I mean I ain't expecting an easy button or anything but this crap is nuts.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's always seemed random to me, I've seen people get 2 or 3 slithers in a row, and seen some people get absolutely nothing for 10+ times.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Thanks. Here's hoping. I mean most of the time at Medusa I relegated myself to knowing about all I would get was decent turn in points for what she drops with a chance at the Slither lottery lol

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did 15 solo runs in a row last week. Scored zip on around 8 of them. Final tally was something like 4 ironwood bows, 2 dragon's teeth, & a serp staff.
Only positive was I finally got enough garg medallions and horns to finish both quests for rewards.:)

I have done a lot of medusa...it has always been streaky to me
^^This 100xs^^ I've done Medusa in the thousands & only ever gotten 5 statues, all on the same day of chaining 15 runs & almost back to back.
Drop rates are abysmally low & if I didn't enjoy the zen-like quality of continually trying to beat my best times :coco:, I wouldn't consider it worth the effort.

The "streaky" factor really makes it seem like she's just set up to drop at certain times & there is no RNG at play on the big drops.
Good luck @Kylie Kinslayer . I'm not a hater & enjoy it when anyone gets something so I got my fingers crossed for ya boss. :)

On a side note: I always keep track and just broke 350 solo runs and no slithers, no statues, no floor tiles..... nothing but teeth, staffs, and ironwood bows :(

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Drop rates are being weird.
I do on average 7 dreadhorn runs per weekend and I am yet to see a single crimmy this year. Last one I got was many, many months ago.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same here with Navrey. First 200: No Tangle. Then abot 2200 Navrey with Tangles / Night Eyes every 15 Navs. Since January 2016: Not a single drop!

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Slithers are an incredibly uncommon drop. Back when I did Medusa I did probably ~100 without a single Slither in my entire party (3-5 person groups). I never went more than 3-4 Medusas in a row without one of the other bad drops, though.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not received a crimson drop in like 3 years. I have however gotten a gold hair dye or two and some wicked crafting tallys during that time. That last time I did actually get a crimson, it was a double drop as another member of our party got one as well. I am the posterchild of bad luck at any drop so I usually just buy stuff... and then a day later it will drop or I will find it in an idoc somewhere.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a slither my 6th time doing it......it was my 3rd solo attempt! I got tinkered legs 6 times so far......first time was in my first 10 attempts ( think it was my 8th)

karma always gets even...I expect my penis to fall off any day now!

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need to chill....
Every time a monster fails your expectations of a just reward this board lights up like a sad Christmas tree of blood red rage.
"I did **** so many times where is my*******"
You all know the answer.... nothing has changed.
Over the years I have seen my fill of spurts of the various champ and other bosses hand out and not hand out their special items.
There is no pattern, no special help that can change the randomness of the drops.
If everyone went in and got a Slither on the 10th fight and a Tangle on the 26th Navy they would loose their value very fast and you would be not pancakes on them but for new items....
Take my advice.... enjoy the hunt, and chin up sooner or later one will pop up...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You all know the answer.... nothing has changed.
One of the powers a little while back mentioned that they did finangle the drop rates and goodies to try to steer people into playing the new stuff as it was released.

Guess this is why Tmap loot is back to being trash yet again.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of the powers a little while back mentioned that they did finangle the drop rates and goodies to try to steer people into playing the new stuff as it was released.
Can you cite a source for this comment?

If it is true, its an incredibly shortsighted and boneheaded move by the devs. Undermining the rest of the game to make an expansion seem better reeks of desperation.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Undermining the rest of the game to make an expansion seem better reeks of desperation.
No clue if this is fact but from personal experience I think it's always been that way. Every time a new release/expansion/dungeon comes out the loot tables
always seem skewed in this direction. New things give better loots. I always assumed it was to get players into new content.

One example was at the introduction of unbound EVs until they nerfed them.
More recently, the amount of drops from Shadowguard in the first few weeks compared to the current amount of drops.
This proclivity goes back decades.

Last edited:

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kyronix - ....you also have to understand that one area isn't going to deliver the best loot forever.
Kyronix - The game is constantly evolving, and we adjust the loot accordingly to entice exploration of new content...
Exactly my experience. They tweek loots to get players into certain areas where they want them, when they want them, then change it up as they see fit.

***Edit*** Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about this. Its a fact I've accepted long long ago.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Running Bear: Hi, I was wondering if you have figured out why the look in shame dungeon, epecially for the unbound was nerfed so badly following the global loot changes is publish 86.3. Used to give the best loot.
Kyronix - What do you consider *best*?
Running Bear: Legendary drops
Kyronix - So you're saying you don't get any legendary drops now?
Running Bear: I get one every 6 hours as opposed to 4-5 an hour b4, loot is less then a balron now.
Kyronix - Are we talking about specific items, like weapons? Jewelry? Armor?
Running Bear: yes the random loot drop, all of it.
Bleak - more jewelry?
Running Bear: it's like a air elemental now in terms of loot table.
Kyronix - We can take another look at it, but you also have to understand that one area isn't going to deliver the best loot forever.
Running Bear: Did you intent to change it? Or did the change in 86.3 cause it unintended.
Kyronix - The game is constantly evolving, and we adjust the loot accordingly to entice exploration of new content, we did not deliberatly change anything. What you can do though, is send us all your template info including stats, skills, luck, what suit you've got on
Running Bear: then I asking you to look at shame because it changed, same toons before and now, just want you to check to see if it working as you intend is all cus I think it's broken.
Kyronix - in order to try to reproduce it we need an accurate test case of what you're experiencing, which includes all your stats, luck, skills etc. Like I said we need to be able to replicate your situation to determine whether that is the case or not.
Running Bear: on the boards it not just me noone hunts there anymore
Kyronix - Send us that information and we can begin to look at it.
Running Bear: ok ty
Kyronix's statement might seem a little contradictory, I admit. But then he says they didn't make any changes. Turning down drops outside of Eodon, thus penalizing old content, is illogical and poor game management. Tuning up drops in Eodon would encourage more play there...not that I think they did that either. :confused:

Only @Kyronix can settle this.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix's statement might seem a little contradictory, I admit. But then he says they didn't make any changes. Turning down drops outside of Eodon, thus penalizing old content, is illogical and poor game management. Tuning up drops in Eodon would encourage more play there...not that I think they did that either. :confused:

If you read the entire thread related to that question and answer, I believe his statement of "we didn't change it" was specific to the Unbound EV in shame. And I can promise you... anyone who did the Unbounds in the first few weeks they were out can tell you that they WERE changed. It may not have been when Eodon was release, but it WAS nerfed hard compared to when they first came out.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix absolutely loves "keeping the players on their toes", as well as creating unbelievably over complicated systems. This is not a dev who is going to give anyone any straight answer. Ask him about the refinement system. He delights in this type of logic.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Speaking of changes... when did they nerf Ice Fiends in the fame/karma? An ice fiend in fel was giving 40 fame at @7500 loyalty rating this evening.

@Kyronix

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix - ....you also have to understand that one area isn't going to deliver the best loot forever.
Kyronix - The game is constantly evolving, and we adjust the loot accordingly to entice exploration of new content..

Which he said right after the team denying that there had been any changes...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you cite a source for this comment?

If it is true, its an incredibly shortsighted and boneheaded move by the devs. Undermining the rest of the game to make an expansion seem better reeks of desperation.
I guess I was wrong. Loot wasn't changed at all, it was adjusted. Okaaaaayyyyyy.......

keyvan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've done 150 medusa runs with my friend and haven't gotten a single slither so far.
:confused:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nah I am same boat as you hundreds and still nada
I've done 100's of them.. never gotten a slither..... best I got was the floor thing... but most folk don't want that they don't have room for such a big thing.

Now on the other hand.... the very FIRST Scalis I did... I got the 1 tile soul forge. I've gotten it 2x now... but I don't know how many Scalis I've done.

I went to Doom with my guildies for YEARS never got a single drop.

Did all the ML bosses 100's of times and only got 1 crimmy... and it took so long for me to get it that I couldn't understand why there was this piece of cloth in there almost didn't look at it or loot it was so strange to see it...

But then got a Tangle on my 2nd Navrey thought that's the ONLY time I've ever gotten one.

I've never gotten a Orny even after all the changes to how Doom works...

Never gotten the tinkerers leggings either despite continuous tries.

In 6 runs to the roof I've only ever gotten a drop 1 time.

Last edited:

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The last major change to global loot generation was way back in Pub 86 when we rolled out "shame loot" game wide. The goal of that change was to address concerns over some of the negative properties as well as normalizing loot distribution game wide. We receive a lot of feedback along the lines of "I wish they would do something to [insert favorite hunting spot here] to make it worth while to hunt there again. In order to address that concern, "shame-style" loot was rolled out game wide. As a result the unique nature of the drops in Shame were not so unique anymore, nor, as the individual who asked the question pointed out from their experience, as frequent.

My point was that you cannot expect one hunting spot to remain the bees knees forever. We try to limit power creep as much as possible, but after almost 19 years we have to be realistic about the natural evolution of content to keep it enticing.

When we released Eodon we did not nerf loot outside of Eodon, and in fact the global loot in Eodon works the same as global loot in the rest of the world. When it comes to specialty drops, such as artifacts, there is a hodgepodge of drop mechanics that is the result of nearly 19 years worth of Devs implementing content. None of those were changed with the introduction of the Time of Legends.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The last major change to global loot generation was way back in Pub 86 when we rolled out "shame loot" game wide. The goal of that change was to address concerns over some of the negative properties as well as normalizing loot distribution game wide. We receive a lot of feedback along the lines of "I wish they would do something to [insert favorite hunting spot here] to make it worth while to hunt there again. In order to address that concern, "shame-style" loot was rolled out game wide. As a result the unique nature of the drops in Shame were not so unique anymore, nor, as the individual who asked the question pointed out from their experience, as frequent.

My point was that you cannot expect one hunting spot to remain the bees knees forever. We try to limit power creep as much as possible, but after almost 19 years we have to be realistic about the natural evolution of content to keep it enticing.

When we released Eodon we did not nerf loot outside of Eodon, and in fact the global loot in Eodon works the same as global loot in the rest of the world. When it comes to specialty drops, such as artifacts, there is a hodgepodge of drop mechanics that is the result of nearly 19 years worth of Devs implementing content. None of those were changed with the introduction of the Time of Legends.
Referring to artifacts- I wish you would log on a trial account and build a character to kill Medusa, When your ready- collect keys and kill her until you get a slither. If you do this I bet the code might be changed that day :) I completely stopped trying to do Medusa after 300 runs I averaged 1 slither per 150 Medusa. RNG is not good for UO. We don't want a easy button to get items just a realistic goal of trying to get one (reward system such as blackthorns)
Legendary items: I have probably farmed more legendary items than 98% of other UO players so I have a good idea on how drop rates work. Saying that how can the casual player expect to even get them at there current drop rates? Can we get a revamp to boss loot (Mel,Parox,Trav,Champ Spawns Boss) because at there current state they suck... Only stuff worth farming are shadowlord,exodus and shadowguard.
Everyone likes loot and that's what will keep players playing as long as it stays fresh and realistic for obtaining certain items

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The last major change to global loot generation was way back in Pub 86 when we rolled out "shame loot" game wide.
I gotta hand it to you @Kyronix you definitely show your level of concern for the players man. I have been around for 11 years and I have never seen someone communicate with the player base on here as much as you do. Sure, we have had some good communication in the past with some folks, especially at meet and greets, but imho you are more active and are not afraid to comment even on topics that are third rail type things. Major Kudos sir!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would have to agrue the opposite. The loot in Eodon is actually worse than loot elsewhere. its beacuase mage type armor has declined steadily in value, while dexter / 3lmc bonus armor has remained relatively constant. this is becuase the tiger and dragon turtle armor takes up a good portion of the loot tables in eodon and is worthless to most dexters because it doesnt have the 3lmc bonus.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think everyone is looking at this wrong. it seems players in UO expect drops like wow or something. Content in UO is NOT meant to be farmed. when somethings common enough that its "farmable" i see that as a failure and not in the spirit of UO. That is not what UO is about. but now we're getting into how UO died when trammel was created and more about "stuff" than just staying alive.

Drops should be an extra, not an expection. (and yes i have this stance for EM drops as well. they are too common. im tired of these high number em drops. id prefer going to 25 events and only getting 1 item than getting something at just about every single event)

the content ideally should be played for the challenge or the fun of it, with a drop just an added bonus. i pity anyone who "grinds" UO because that must be boring as hell and absolutely futile.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would have to agrue the opposite. The loot in Eodon is actually worse than loot elsewhere. its beacuase mage type armor has declined steadily in value, while dexter / 3lmc bonus armor has remained relatively constant. this is becuase the tiger and dragon turtle armor takes up a good portion of the loot tables in eodon and is worthless to most dexters because it doesnt have the 3lmc bonus.
I agree. I do not think it's a top tier loot table. You do have a greater chance of getting clean legendaries which is nice. I have only done 100+ shadowguard runs so what do I know about its loot. I MAYBE can pull 1-2 usable items of the corpse and that's a big maybe

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMO you guys need to limit loot (by property) so that certain items are just not obtainable in certain areas. I'm sure it would be a lot of work.
here in another thread (most of this stuff WAS already in the game at one point or another): PvM Stuff - Increasing Difficulty/Loot Change

By limiting the properties that can drop from say, any non-boss Undead mob to Repond (and lesser slayers of the same group), it would encourage people to hunt undead stuff if they' want try to get the "best" slayer weapon for Repond types. Not limited to slayer properties though, I think there should be a different loot table based on creatures (maybe even location), or both, Right now there's no difference besides location between killing a lich lord in deciet lvl 4 or a lich lord in fire lvl 1... with the RNG in UO, it could take an extremely long time to get something good, especially something like a "clean legendary" slayer weapon that would be better for pvm, than it would be for pvp.

Bosses wouldn't not be restricted (by property), but limiting which types of "slayers" they drop wouldn't hurt. They drop high-end loot at a pretty consistent basis and a chance for a back-pack drop which would remain as an incentive to farm bosses/peerless' etc. The end goal would be to make it more viable to hunt Different bosses, instead of the SAME boss over and over. for example, why do a Shimmering Effusion, when you could get the exact same (shame style) loot from Lady Melisande (Lady Mel, being much much easier and faster to hunt).

To start off, people have beginner items that you come pre- equipped with > random loot (maybe quest rewards from leveling skills w/e),> exceptional items > Imbued items > Reforged/imbued items > high-end loot. - The high-end loot as far as weapons go (Pvm) pretty much does not exist, so everyone stops at Reforged+Imbued.

You could then use that to implement new bosses/peerless' in future publishes or expansions/boosters etc accordingly to what you guys see best fit.
things like this would benefit newer/returning players, as there would eventually be guides made about if you're looking for "X type of properties with X Slayers - go <here>."

Right now people just roll the dice and hope for the best, which promotes people farming things afk, because of the difficulty of someone obtaining anything in a reasonable amount of time. That (IMO) needs to be strayed away from, obviously there's no way to stop it completely (it happens in every game), but if it were doable in a reasonable fashion, people wouldn't be as much inclined to use "Illegal" methods to obtain things.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Referring to artifacts- I wish you would log on a trial account and build a character to kill Medusa, I completely stopped trying to do Medusa after 300 runs I averaged 1 slither per 150 Medusa.
So you are saying that a Trial Account (14 days) is long enough time to fully train a Char and fight Medusa over and over again 300 times +

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you are saying that a Trial Account (14 days) is long enough time to fully train a Char and fight Medusa over and over again 300 times +
train a char 1-2 days max leave 12 days of straight farming sure why not.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
95% of all new loot drops are mage based. Honestly I have only ONCE found a piece of loot that I would use on a dexer... This includes Jewelery.

I want HCI, DCI, and DI on all my Dex jewels..... I want HIGH MR, at least 8LMC and 8SI on my armor.... without that I honestly won't use it and I don't need LRC on my armor.... I don't want it to be Mage armor... and I sure as heII don't want it to require 125 str to wear... I don't want it to be antique either... My armor takes enough damage I don't need it to take 10x more damage without me actually being hit... ONE Time I found a pair of gloves with 8SI and 8LMC and 3 MR..... I kept them... I don't need to have SDI since as an archer 99% of damaging spells available to me I can't even use... So that's worthless... Unless i was building a tamer/mage/archer.... or a thrower/mystic.... most of the crap you get as loot isn't even useful...

Weapons I am looking for HIGH SSI, I'd take some HCI, but I want ML, LL, Hit something, balanced etc... I don't need it to be SR, MR and the 400 other things for mages on my weapons...

And for mage weapons.... THEY SHOULD ALWAYS BE SPELL CHANNELING What the heck is the point of having a Mage Weapon if it's NOT going to stay in my hand???

As I said most of the drops are not only Mage based but they aren't something I would ever use..... so Imbuing/reforging is still the way to go most the time..... it's SO very rare that I pick up a piece of armor or a weapon that is actually useable for something other than just training up a newb spellcaster... I give a LOT Of the loot I get away because while it's ok for training it lacks most everything useful for actual damage output.... or has such BAD resists that you'd die if anything looked your way....

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This is a serious question would it be possible to simply remove the entire hodgepodge of obsolete code and mechanics and put a single streamlined system in place?

Oh and fix the obvious mistake that ruined rune books while you are at it ;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Possible? Yes. Simply? Not by a long shot :)
Ok Simply was a bad word choice, I would be willing to bet though that if you guys put your time and energy into things like revamping code like that, you would have mass praise and approval from the player base. Plus have a system in modern coding you guys could more easily tweak and add to without constant conflicts and unintended effects. But I am telling you things you of all people probably already know.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think everyone is looking at this wrong. it seems players in UO expect drops like wow or something. Content in UO is NOT meant to be farmed.
Only speaking for myself, I never expect anything. I play areas of the game that I enjoy. I stated earlier why I farm Medusa. I'm also fairly certain that most MMOs are meant to be farmed. From the start of UO players farmed and this seemed clearly the intent of the game makers. Farming for gold to purchase your 1st home, for treasured silver weapons, or anything else the game offered had to be done through repetitive measures often taking weeks. Certainly there are aspects to UO that negate farming, such as PvP, but farming has been & still is a large part of the game.

Right now people just roll the dice and hope for the best, which promotes people farming things afk, because of the difficulty of someone obtaining anything in a reasonable amount of time.
I would disagree that the RNG promotes afk farming. Most folks are just lazy & looking for an easy way. No change to the game would affect this. You would still have the same players cheating to get ahead. The only way to stop this would be strict enforcement & we all know where that stands.

I gotta hand it to you @Kyronix you definitely show your level of concern for the players man. I have been around for 11 years and I have never seen someone communicate with the player base on here as much as you do. Sure, we have had some good communication in the past with some folks, especially at meet and greets, but imho you are more active and are not afraid to comment even on topics that are third rail type things. Major Kudos sir!
Great post Kylie. Well said and on point. QFT.
Thanks @Kyronix

id be happy just with fixing the runebooks.
Now about those runebooks.....:D

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would disagree that the RNG promotes afk farming. Most folks are just lazy & looking for an easy way. No change to the game would affect this. You would still have the same players cheating to get ahead. The only way to stop this would be strict enforcement & we all know where that stands.
Sure, I guess I should have used another example of where RNG most definately promotes "scripting".

Heartwood quests: Runic fletching and/or Saws, You show me someone legitimately doing that quest and even coming remotely close to someone running a script doing it.

with that said I'm against scripting (afk), I've openly admitted to Mesanna that I use UOLoop for repetitive tasks such as skill training, She replied: "I use it too".

I completely understand why people would script-farm things. because first, people script the things that are boring and repetitive. Same holds true when it comes to "farming" monsters, except, someone could afk say Balrons for instance- and come out ahead with all levels of items ranging from 1-2 property imbuable pieces to legendary artifacts. I'll remind everyone that Balrons and equivalent mobs are Afk-able.

I'm not disagreeing with you completely, I'd rather see something be done vs people afk farming, but if it means the game is going to end. there are other problems at hand that are more important, such as focusing on bringing in more people, so that "enforcing" will not cause the game to close down.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol i can do medusa with out hitting any key except to attack her...