• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

swing and a miss!

Herp!

Journeyman
I have done approximately 50+ Champ spawns, Peerless, & DFs in the time this thread has been open(just saw it). I have not encountered a single instance where I was missing more than usual, fizzling on spells I shouldn't fizzle, or anything of the sort. Now, on rare occasion I might miss a greater mongbat at the Devourer Mini-Champ, but that is definitely RNG... because I then walk over and 1 shot imps, daemons, and pit fiends.. Seems crazy that a game could have bugs bound solely to specific characters or accounts. Though I supposed I've just always overlooked the fact that 3 of my 7 characters can't lock down, release, or secure items in the house THEY OWN.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have done approximately 50+ Champ spawns, Peerless, & DFs in the time this thread has been open(just saw it). I have not encountered a single instance where I was missing more than usual, fizzling on spells I shouldn't fizzle, or anything of the sort. Now, on rare occasion I might miss a greater mongbat at the Devourer Mini-Champ, but that is definitely RNG... because I then walk over and 1 shot imps, daemons, and pit fiends.. Seems crazy that a game could have bugs bound solely to specific characters or accounts. Though I supposed I've just always overlooked the fact that 3 of my 7 characters can't lock down, release, or secure items in the house THEY OWN.
Are you playing the same game we are and not a Freeshard.........lol :p
Either that or you don't have Chivalry, Bushido on your template.

Other than that, your just not paying attention as the Dev's have even said in the other CONSECRATE WEAPON thread that they have changed how the beneficial skills work.

Herp!

Journeyman
Are you playing the same game we are and not a Freeshard.........lol :p
Either that or you don't have Chivalry, Bushido on your template.

Other than that, your just not paying attention as the Dev's have even said in the other CONSECRATE WEAPON thread that they have changed how the beneficial skills work.
I run on Legends OSI shard not freeshards and template is what I refer to as Samadin:
120 Swords
120 Parry
120 Bush
100 Anat
100 Tact
80 Chiv
80 Resist

Using 45 hci 0 dci on suit and 100hll weapons with 87hml 50 hsl to avoid the need for vampire form or healing. I have been paying attention. I kill DFs in about 2 min now with 350-400+ per hit using DS/Onslaught, Champ spawns take all of 10-15 minutes solo, and most Peerless take about 5-10 min using AI spam.... I would know if I was missing more than usual.... So, maybe RNG is just my friend? It took me almost 3 months to build the set I am wearing with appr 6 hours a day, 7 days a week crafting, if this spec started to fail suddenly I would be VERY disheartened and would do all the research I could to figure out wtf happened. But so far, me and the guy I run with regularly haven't seen any changes.

*EDIT* In reference to the beneficial Chiv spells being cast... yeah we don't do that. I cast EOO once at the beginning of a fight. That is all. No CW because 100% ele weapon, no Close Wounds because healing is for bads. Aside from that, Evade/Counterattack are cast only directly after swinging, thus resulting in NO swing reset ;) Gotta love being good at games :heart:

Last edited:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run on Legends OSI shard not freeshards and template is what I refer to as Samadin:
120 Swords
120 Parry
120 Bush
100 Anat
100 Tact
80 Chiv
80 Resist

Using 45 hci 0 dci on suit and 100hll weapons with 87hml 50 hsl to avoid the need for vampire form or healing. I have been paying attention. I kill DFs in about 2 min now with 350-400+ per hit using DS/Onslaught, Champ spawns take all of 10-15 minutes solo, and most Peerless take about 5-10 min using AI spam.... I would know if I was missing more than usual.... So, maybe RNG is just my friend? It took me almost 3 months to build the set I am wearing with appr 6 hours a day, 7 days a week crafting, if this spec started to fail suddenly I would be VERY disheartened and would do all the research I could to figure out wtf happened. But so far, me and the guy I run with regularly haven't seen any changes.

*EDIT* In reference to the beneficial Chiv spells being cast... yeah we don't do that. I cast EOO once at the beginning of a fight. That is all. No CW because 100% ele weapon, no Close Wounds because healing is for bads. Aside from that, Evade/Counterattack are cast only directly after swinging, thus resulting in NO swing reset ;) Gotta love being good at games :heart:
I run the same template and I miss all the time and it's not RNG it's because of some publish/change. I never missed the 10 years prior but seems since publish 90 things have taken a turn for the worse. @Kyronix said to send bug reports in stating character/shard/creature ect so I will BUT it's almost every creature/shard/character so I am not sure this is a problem only affecting certain characters/shards. As for now I am not playing those characters until things are fixed. In the mean time I can have fun trying to log in characters and retyping passwords a few million times to get xmas gifts. On a side note who does dark fathers lol that's so 1999

Herp!

Journeyman
I run the same template and I miss all the time and it's not RNG it's because of some publish/change. I never missed the 10 years prior but seems since publish 90 things have taken a turn for the worse. @Kyronix said to send bug reports in stating character/shard/creature ect so I will BUT it's almost every creature/shard/character so I am not sure this is a problem only affecting certain characters/shards. As for now I am not playing those characters until things are fixed. In the mean time I can have fun trying to log in characters and retyping passwords a few million times to get xmas gifts. On a side note who does dark fathers lol that's so 1999
Someone who was away from 2004-2009 does DF... missing hats of magi, ornis, and luck chest and its fun to just go and poop on him and watch him fall over so fast when it used to take 20 of us and he didn't die that fast. To add to that, I was a kid when I played back then... I started at the age of 10 yrs old & didn't understand things nearly as well as I do now & I like collecting now but don't have the cash moneys - spent it all on crazy crap and rares :D.

I can almost guarantee it IS affecting only certain characters... I have 2 of this template + a basic sampire that I run often. None of them have encountered this mysterious miss bug you are all speaking of. I will see maybe 0-1 miss per DF, 0-3 per Champ, and 0-3 per Peerless. If I run bard and have my friend on his samadin so we can have a disco + PM or Prov Masteries, boss times actually decrease fairly significantly and he misses 0-1 no matter what boss it is (not including Shadowguard.. we haven't tried it aside from twice because we have no need to currently and its still buggy from what I hear). I've not seen a single instance where we had a miss chain with or without disco since we were running <120 swords a long while ago.

Similar to how 3 of my 7 chars on one of my accounts cannot use the lock down, release, or secure functions in that accounts house. This has to be something only pertaining to certain people somehow. I am not very inclined to believe it is a shard bug because the person who made this thread, plays on my shard(though maybe her dexxer is on Chessy). I have no clue how a bug cannot affect everyone, but I can definitely say it does happen in UO. I may suggest soul stoning 2 chars and swapping all of their skills, then trying again, if it only affects certain chars, you may have one of the 7 on your account that isn't affected ;)

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone who was away from 2004-2009 does DF... missing hats of magi, ornis, and luck chest and its fun to just go and poop on him and watch him fall over so fast when it used to take 20 of us and he didn't die that fast. To add to that, I was a kid when I played back then... I started at the age of 10 yrs old & didn't understand things nearly as well as I do now & I like collecting now but don't have the cash moneys - spent it all on crazy crap and rares :D.

I can almost guarantee it IS affecting only certain characters... I have 2 of this template + a basic sampire that I run often. None of them have encountered this mysterious miss bug you are all speaking of. I will see maybe 0-1 miss per DF, 0-3 per Champ, and 0-3 per Peerless. If I run bard and have my friend on his samadin so we can have a disco + PM or Prov Masteries, boss times actually decrease fairly significantly and he misses 0-1 no matter what boss it is (not including Shadowguard.. we haven't tried it aside from twice because we have no need to currently and its still buggy from what I hear). I've not seen a single instance where we had a miss chain with or without disco since we were running <120 swords a long while ago.

Similar to how 3 of my 7 chars on one of my accounts cannot use the lock down, release, or secure functions in that accounts house. This has to be something only pertaining to certain people somehow. I am not very inclined to believe it is a shard bug because the person who made this thread, plays on my shard(though maybe her dexxer is on Chessy). I have no clue how a bug cannot affect everyone, but I can definitely say it does happen in UO. I may suggest soul stoning 2 chars and swapping all of their skills, then trying again, if it only affects certain chars, you may have one of the 7 on your account that isn't affected ;)
All we can do is send in bug reports but I am 100% sure something is wrong bc there not working as they use to.

BearCorpse

Adventurer
I tested in TC. results 1244/1500 83%
Attacker status: wrestling 120.0 HCI 45%
Defender status: archery 100.0, DCI 0%, parrying 0, bushido 0,having bow

It looks nothing changed.
But accuracy cap bug haven't fixed. It still capped 95%. Legendary swordsman can miss on rat.

Herp!

Journeyman
I tested in TC. results 1244/1500 83%
Attacker status: wrestling 120.0 HCI 45%
Defender status: archery 100.0, DCI 0%, parrying 0, bushido 0,having bow

It looks nothing changed.
But accuracy cap bug haven't fixed. It still capped 95%. Legendary swordsman can miss on rat.
Thanks for the test to verify I wasn't going crazy. Again, big fan, love the videos.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you lose connection/Logout While under the effects of any Bard Mastery Songs, you take a negative affect when you log back in... provocation songs lower your stats, Di, Sdi, & Hci. & peacing songs lower Dci. logging out and back in again usually fixes it, or in some cases you need to page a GM to reset your stats.

It happens often when I do Shadow Guard, especially with all the client crashing with UO-Assist in the Belfry... oh the bugs.... The bard-mastery stat bug has been around since the bard masteries came out, it's just a lot more common to see the bard songs in-use now.

Some of the status affects from the songs are visible on your status bar, I know the -Dci shows up & you may notice lower stats than normal depending on which songs you were effected by at the time.. More than likely if your characters have benefited from the bard mastery songs at any point prior to your "Swing and a Miss"then that's probably what is happening.

I guess I'll submit a bug report about it.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Unlikely in the case of my paladin dexxer. She never benefited from bard songs as she is in the same account of my bard.

Herp!

Journeyman
I run bard for a friend often, he will disconnect while under the effect of a bardsong... log back in, and go right back to killing (no issues here). I also happen to log out often without turning my bardsongs off... never had an issue with stats lowering so far.

As Corpse stated, hit cap is still 95% so a 120 weapon skill can still miss on a slime or a rat. When speaking of RNG, that means that every time you swing it "rolls a dice" and if you hit anything 5 or below, you miss. That could lead to anywhere from 1 to an infinite amount of misses. If you'd like to test it, go take a d20... roll it 200 times in a row (200 swings at 150 = 30k damage = 1 bosses health pool generally) See how many times you get 2 or lower. Often you will see a string of 3-4 1-2s, sometimes you may see none. I have played entire games of DnD(6 month periods) without a single roll higher than 2 on a d20... RNG is RNG. There has to be some chance to miss, they cannot just give us the ability to ALWAYS hit... if I could ALWAYS hit I would never die because 100 HLL is my life blood. Even if that means a 2 in 20 chance of getting a miss every time I swing, it is what it is. Some days we just have worse luck, hell some of us have strings of bad luck for months at a time. I had a string of 37 misses in a row on Irk one time, even using the old strat of equip a shield then take it off when he takes my form (since then this has been fixed and he just removes the shield as well). I've played enough MMOs & other games to know what RNG works like, it's a pain in the arse, but it is there, and we have to deal with it.

For instance, a friend of mine got 2 Hats of the Magi in a row on 2 DFs killed back to back.... I've never seen one drop in my bag in 16 years.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I run bard for a friend often, he will disconnect while under the effect of a bardsong... log back in, and go right back to killing (no issues here). I also happen to log out often without turning my bardsongs off... never had an issue with stats lowering so far.

As Corpse stated, hit cap is still 95% so a 120 weapon skill can still miss on a slime or a rat. When speaking of RNG, that means that every time you swing it "rolls a dice" and if you hit anything 5 or below, you miss. That could lead to anywhere from 1 to an infinite amount of misses. If you'd like to test it, go take a d20... roll it 200 times in a row (200 swings at 150 = 30k damage = 1 bosses health pool generally) See how many times you get 2 or lower. Often you will see a string of 3-4 1-2s, sometimes you may see none. I have played entire games of DnD(6 month periods) without a single roll higher than 2 on a d20... RNG is RNG. There has to be some chance to miss, they cannot just give us the ability to ALWAYS hit... if I could ALWAYS hit I would never die because 100 HLL is my life blood. Even if that means a 2 in 20 chance of getting a miss every time I swing, it is what it is. Some days we just have worse luck, hell some of us have strings of bad luck for months at a time. I had a string of 37 misses in a row on Irk one time, even using the old strat of equip a shield then take it off when he takes my form (since then this has been fixed and he just removes the shield as well). I've played enough MMOs & other games to know what RNG works like, it's a pain in the arse, but it is there, and we have to deal with it.

For instance, a friend of mine got 2 Hats of the Magi in a row on 2 DFs killed back to back.... I've never seen one drop in my bag in 16 years.
Every single time I log my bard out with songs running, when I log back in his stats are messed up. I have to cancel the songs, then log out, then back in and they return to normal. This happens each and every time I log out with them running.

Herp!

Journeyman
Every single time I log my bard out with songs running, when I log back in his stats are messed up. I have to cancel the songs, then log out, then back in and they return to normal. This happens each and every time I log out with them running.
Sucks to be you? Can't say much other than that, sorry... This game is the weirdest game I've ever played in that it has the most localized bugs I have ever seen. I don't quite understand how 1 character on an account can be bugged, or 1 character on a shard can be bugged, and the guy standing right next to him can try to enact the same bug, and have no issues. I really wanna see this code. Just... the entire game code, I'll sit and read it for 24 hours if I have to...

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
has anyone else had trouble hitting their target since the patch was released? i took my sampire out today, who is normally a little bad ass of an elf and she was missing like crazy....ive changed nothing on my toon, everything is repaired and im missing like 70% of the time.......wasnt like this before the patch shakes fists @ Devs!
I can vouch for this......I stood there today watching her sampire thinking..... I'd hit that!!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only missed a scorpion 6 times in a row this morning, that's not too bad is it?\

on a more serious note, after all the misses I generally "warp" one tile from where i was and start hitting regularly again. it is annoying as it caused me to warp to the other side of a tree and got me stuck on a mound in the lost lands today. i had to help stuck out.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I only missed a scorpion 6 times in a row this morning, that's not too bad is it?\

on a more serious note, after all the misses I generally "warp" one tile from where i was and start hitting regularly again. it is annoying as it caused me to warp to the other side of a tree and got me stuck on a mound in the lost lands today. i had to help stuck out.
I thought I was the only one that had that issue. But your right it does cause you to "bounce" a tile or so away.

Brom Thunderstone

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This failure to hit garbage needs to be addressed ASAP. Has anyone noticed it's worse with an archer? I can't hit anything anymore it seems. I too think it has to do with real skill vs modded skill increase as someone stated in an earlier post it would be nice to receive some clarification from the devs.? Clearly this is affecting everyone.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmmmm weird....I dont have this problem at all....at least not more then the normal rng crap

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bad RNG finally made its way to the people who actually had "good-RNG".

What the hell took it so ****ing long?

There's no better time to remove Casting Focus & Poison Immunity than now ;).

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Gambler's fallacy and RNG FTW