• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The New Dungeon

Colgarra

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I understand it's located at Blackthorn's Castle, right? But where? Where is the entry?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand it's located at Blackthorn's Castle, right? But where? Where is the entry?
Enter the dungeon over the bridge, take the first entry to the left, through the kinda smith looking room and then kitchen then down the steps. There is an "agent of the crown" NPC right next to it.

Here are the steps down into the dungeon:

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks for the link, Petra... Well done essay, complete with pics... However, perhaps you and the team adding content to the new Stratics might want to consider adding Dungeons to the sidebar:
I know that (personally) "Essays and Guides" is NOT where I'd start to look for dungeon info. I mean, you already have "Maps and Locations" there in the sidebar (which btw has nothing regarding Dungeons there either, oddly enough)....
Please consider adding a Dungeon link somewhere (I'd suggest under Maps and Locations) as in the pic below... I mean 90% of what has been added to the Essays and Guides in the past few years has been directly or indirectly related to Dungeons, which should certainly qualify them for having their own link in the sidebar.....

I mean, if you want people to see and enjoy the new content you're adding, then don't make it so easy to overlook...

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Speaking of the new dungeon - and I thank you all for your tips on it so far - is there some historical in-game reason why it's such a hassle to get mounts in and out of the basement of this castle? Why do I have to park my swampie or fire beetle outside, walk in, log off and log in every time to get the dragon or beetle inside? Why can't I just ride in and out? it seems to me like a pesky procedure that just wastes time every time I change characters, which might be several times a night. Any good reason for it?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Speaking of the new dungeon - and I thank you all for your tips on it so far - is there some historical in-game reason why it's such a hassle to get mounts in and out of the basement of this castle? Why do I have to park my swampie or fire beetle outside, walk in, log off and log in every time to get the dragon or beetle inside? Why can't I just ride in and out? it seems to me like a pesky procedure that just wastes time every time I change characters, which might be several times a night. Any good reason for it?
It's a result of Castle Blackthorn having several restriction regions, including pets. There are few things worse than trying to get through a role play dialogue only to have someone park a greater dragon on top of you during an event.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can see that. Some sort of restricted path to ride a swampie to the steps - where they are allowed - and back outside would be nice, though.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I entered on a character who had a full stable so his pet just went to some unknown place outside the "event area." Logging in and out retrieved it, but for a moment, I thought I had really messed up. It also caused me to think what would happen to the auto-stable if I were riding a blue beetle that was full of stuff -- can't stable those. Does anyone know what happens in that circumstance? It could be the same as having a full stable, most likely, I would think. But it sure would suck if it somehow stabled the pet but lost its contents.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That happened to me once, was riding a full blue beetle and it went poof, found it 2 hours later walking far north of blackthorns keep

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That happened to me once, was riding a full blue beetle and it went poof, found it 2 hours later walking far north of blackthorns keep

Thanks Bazer. So it acts just like if you have a full stable it seems. Logging out and back in should get your ride back after you pass the hitching post inside. That is how I got mine back.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blue beetles with items in are not subject to autostable and can not be retrieved by logout/login.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the link, Petra... Well done essay, complete with pics... However, perhaps you and the team adding content to the new Stratics might want to consider adding Dungeons to the sidebar:
I know that (personally) "Essays and Guides" is NOT where I'd start to look for dungeon info. I mean, you already have "Maps and Locations" there in the sidebar (which btw has nothing regarding Dungeons there either, oddly enough)....
Please consider adding a Dungeon link somewhere (I'd suggest under Maps and Locations) as in the pic below... I mean 90% of what has been added to the Essays and Guides in the past few years has been directly or indirectly related to Dungeons, which should certainly qualify them for having their own link in the sidebar.....

I mean, if you want people to see and enjoy the new content you're adding, then don't make it so easy to overlook...

Dungeons are a location? I've added a cross reference to the other side of the maps and locations page, but there's a limit to how many links I can put in the sidebar. The easiest way to find the new dungeon info is to simply type 'blackthorn' or 'castle' in the search box at the top of the right hand sidebar.

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dungeons are a location?
They're certainly as much of a "location" as any other place - in the sense that they are shown on the maps and people need to know where to "find" them...

I've added a cross reference to the other side of the maps and locations page, but there's a limit to how many links I can put in the sidebar. The easiest way to find the new dungeon info is to simply type 'blackthorn' or 'castle' in the search box at the top of the right hand sidebar.

Yes Petra, I understand that there are limits to how much can be put in the sidebar... I'm simply saying that if UO Stratics is to be the "GoTo" for information on UO, then it should be easier for someone to find what they are looking for - and the sidebar should certainly include something that at least suggests a link to what is most prominent in the game today and for quite a while now - and that's dungeons... Perhaps you could replace the misplaced and pretty much worthless Magery link there... I mean, it's no more important than any other skill and should be quite comfortable within the Skill Guide link with every other skill...

I'm not purposely trying to be rude here... I truly value your many amazing contributions to this place. However, in this instance - I just happen to think that I have a valid point, and hope that I can convince you of that...

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I take your point. The magery link is a historic one, in the sidebar from the old site long before I had the responsibility for updating it. I'll give some thought to an adjustment.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a result of Castle Blackthorn having several restriction regions, including pets. There are few things worse than trying to get through a role play dialogue only to have someone park a greater dragon on top of you during an event.
Yes true, for activities inside the castle this is correct and should be maintained, but to get rid of this UNNECESSARY tedium why not make it that we can RECALL directly to the hitching post area INSIDE the dungeon entrance, and put the agent of the crown in there too.

The fact you have to recall to the bridge, cross it and dismount, run to the entrance via a minimum of three rooms/ sets of doors to get to the stairs, enter, then remount, claim any pets if you are a tamer at the hitching post seems to be tedium for tedium's sake. I for one would much rather just recall into the area and not have all that running and crap. I would also like to put a rune to Blackthorn Castle's Dungeon in my rune library, as it is now, people end up at the bridge and go 'wtf?' .

If you enter upstairs then yes, the forced dismount and stabling still happens, same as if you enter via the bridge, but please let us recall directly to the hitching post.

:cheerleader: Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I take your point. The magery link is a historic one, in the sidebar from the old site long before I had the responsibility for updating it. I'll give some thought to an adjustment.
Hope you do, a direct link to 'dungeons' would seem to me to be one of the MOST important links, include the regular dungeons, but also the peerless dungeons, the under the sea thing that I haven't done yet, and basically anything that links to a boss/spawn, such as all the spawn sites for SA, Tokuno and Ilshenar, maybe call the SIDEBAR LINK: Dungeons and Spawns.

Yes you can search for the name of the dungeon, but that is always assuming you actually KNOW the name of it. Any new player is not going to be able to search for the name of a dungeon as they probably will not know the name to search on.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
being able to recal into the dungeon might be a help!

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
fantastic thanks
:)
Perhaps any of the peerless info can also be added, not sure what stratics has on that, and even the newbie dungeon/mine in Haven. The older dungeons, deceit, hythloth and perhaps even the ilshenar dungeons could also be included in the future, I always have a problem finding info on those, even just how to get to some of them. Hmm what is the one in Felucca ... K ... mind blank, that as well :p

Oh just remembered Khaldun ... (sp?)

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Peerless are under 'quests', but I'll link them in on the right hand side. Some dungeons are only covered by the atlas entries, which I'm afraid can't be edited at this time.
As far as I can tell, tours like the ones I've done on the re-vamped dungeons have never been done before. If you wish it, I can do them. But it will take me a little time.
Khaldun information can be found by following the 'dungeons' link on the maps and locations page to here:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/atlas/khaldun.php

You might find some of the links on this page of interest
http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=atlas&welcome=yes

Last edited:

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be nice if only certain rooms in Castle Blackthorn were "pet restrictive". Like the coronation room and the council room! Not the whole thing. Is this something that can be asked for?
Unfortunately not. It's a package deal.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately not. It's a package deal.

Would you at least consider adding the hitching post room in both Fel and Trammel to the corrupted crystal portal as a dungeon entrance? That might make people more interested in going there, especially if you are indeed also adding the ability to recall from the dungeon.

Also, is there anything that can be done to eliminate or at least speed up the delay you experience when walking down the steps into the dungeon? It's a long time (4-5 seconds, if not longer) to not have any idea whether your character (especially a character that carries no defensive weapons) is under attack by something that has wandered into or been lured into the hitching post room, or if in Fel, by another player. Or to wonder if you're going to be disconnected.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blue beetles with items in are not subject to autostable and can not be retrieved by logout/login.

Are they retrievable by the pet ball? If not, any guidance on where to look for them. The message I received when my stable was full (not riding a blue beetle) was that it was sent outside "the event area." I've not had the problem thankfully.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When castle blackthorn got the re build pets use to end up on up on the shore east of the island but that was some time ago maybe they did fix that

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all they have to do is move the no pets/no recall zone further back into blackthorn's castle - it's a pretty simple fix and doesn't mess with the events at the back - make it right after the main archway gate instead of the bridge

I think we can push this through using the UHall's magic power (which I actually endorse this one and only time :))

The magic power of the UHall is invoked by complaining about the same thing over and over and over and over again for years until the DEVs finally realize they're being buttholes for no good reason - INVOKE IT - hehe

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all they have to do is move the no pets/no recall zone further back into blackthorn's castle - it's a pretty simple fix and doesn't mess with the events at the back - make it right after the main archway gate instead of the bridge

I think we can push this through using the UHall's magic power (which I actually endorse this one and only time :))

The magic power of the UHall is invoked by complaining about the same thing over and over and over and over again for years until the DEVs finally realize they're being buttholes for no good reason - INVOKE IT - hehe
Agree

Still no comment on why they can't allow us to recall directly to the hitching post, and bypass the upper level completely. If you can have pets in that area it is obvious that the restrictions of NO PETS in the castle has been erased, to me a simple adjustment to be able to recall direct to the hitching post, being able to mark a rune there is the simplest fix. It doesn't affect the upper areas at all and they can stay exactly as they are.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agree

Still no comment on why they can't allow us to recall directly to the hitching post, and bypass the upper level completely. If you can have pets in that area it is obvious that the restrictions of NO PETS in the castle has been erased, to me a simple adjustment to be able to recall direct to the hitching post, being able to mark a rune there is the simplest fix. It doesn't affect the upper areas at all and they can stay exactly as they are.
Why not just move the entrance outside to somewhere close to the bridge. Why does it have to be In the middle of the castle to begin with?

It REALLY irks me that teleport doesn't work in there. To a tamer on foot, that spell can mean life or death under certain circumstances.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I entered on a character who had a full stable so his pet just went to some unknown place outside the "event area." Logging in and out retrieved it, but for a moment, I thought I had really messed up. It also caused me to think what would happen to the auto-stable if I were riding a blue beetle that was full of stuff -- can't stable those. Does anyone know what happens in that circumstance? It could be the same as having a full stable, most likely, I would think. But it sure would suck if it somehow stabled the pet but lost its contents.
This happened to me just the other day...I had a beetle full of turn in minax items. Luckily I just used the pet summoning ball when I left the area and there he was. I then went to the fel side since the guy is just before the bridge on Pacific. I didn't test this further.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A beetle full of Minax drops - too many drops to fit in a back pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it was a spur of the moment thing, when my house was too full to store anything else I figured I could store the points... 124 plus the pouch they were in on my beetle.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lol, I thought wow this dude gets so many drops he needs a beetle to hold them all? And I was pleased with myself getting 6 tonight :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One other thing, how come a gargoyle cant even fly in there, surly that has nothing to do with pets messing up the area for role players. The whole thing look more and more like a ploy to make life more tedious than it needs to be. Tedious just for the sake of tedious!

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One other thing, how come a gargoyle cant even fly in there, surly that has nothing to do with pets messing up the area for role players. The whole thing look more and more like a ploy to make life more tedious than it needs to be. Tedious just for the sake of tedious!
The same applies to flying gargoyles. It can cause client lag on those with older machines.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I wish I could recall directly into or out of the dungeon. But that said, it isn't too huge of a drag. It is kind of nice to see lots of people entering and exiting the dungeon.

I'm finally at 94 minax arties. Going to make the final push to finally get my first Blackthorn-Conjurer's Garb today!

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or, it could just be an area with some variation from the norm, in what is a fairly large game.

Last edited:

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
im more curious as to who runs UO on an older machine, is there people still running a pentium 1 processor?

Last edited:

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes true, for activities inside the castle this is correct and should be maintained, but to get rid of this UNNECESSARY tedium why not make it that we can RECALL directly to the hitching post area INSIDE the dungeon entrance, and put the agent of the crown in there too.

The fact you have to recall to the bridge, cross it and dismount, run to the entrance via a minimum of three rooms/ sets of doors to get to the stairs, enter, then remount, claim any pets if you are a tamer at the hitching post seems to be tedium for tedium's sake. I for one would much rather just recall into the area and not have all that running and crap. I would also like to put a rune to Blackthorn Castle's Dungeon in my rune library, as it is now, people end up at the bridge and go 'wtf?' .

If you enter upstairs then yes, the forced dismount and stabling still happens, same as if you enter via the bridge, but please let us recall directly to the hitching post.

:cheerleader: Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
There is no guarantee that area is going to be mob free, someone could very easily kite the contents of the mage room there and an unsuspecting artifact trader may get unexpectedly killed and lose all their Minax or Blackthorn artifacts. They wouldn't be very happy.

As for recalling into the dungeon, the area you are talking about is very small to begin with. It would also be a task to redefine the regions to allow recalling into that one tiny spot while restricting it in the rest of the dungeon.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only two of us were around. After 30 minutes, we nearly had this sampire dead. Then it started teleporting/wandering to the very back of the pod, right behind two other captains and their untouched spawn. After a few minutes of us evading the new spawn and trying to lure the sampire back, I saw the sampire healed itself back to 1/4 life. We gave up.

Congratulations, Kyronix, you guys have created a dungeon that on smaller shards is as impossible (and will die faster) than the Covetous void pool.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations, Kyronix, you guys have created a dungeon that on smaller shards is as impossible (and will die faster) than the Covetous void pool.

The thing is, once they have made these god awful decisions they never change them. Once the novalty wears off even on the shards with a mid level population we are stuck with another useless dungeon. No one will use the pods and it will have to be a grind on the spawn outside

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The same applies to flying gargoyles. It can cause client lag on those with older machines.
Another thing I have noticed after farming the normal spawn for 2 days (multiple GM calls made on me for afk scripting) in tram then 2 days in the fel dungeon there is no difference in drop rate of the arties. So there is no point in going to the fel dungeon with the added risk of PK's. How come there is no higher drop rate in fel?

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The thing is, once they have made these god awful decisions they never change them. Once the novalty wears off even on the shards with a mid level population we are stuck with another useless dungeon. No one will use the pods and it will have to be a grind on the spawn outside

Another thing I have noticed after farming the normal spawn for 2 days (multiple GM calls made on me for afk scripting) in tram then 2 days in the fel dungeon there is no difference in drop rate of the arties. So there is no point in going to the fel dungeon with the added risk of PK's. How come there is no higher drop rate in fel?

Completely agreed. When was the last time anyone went to Khaldun?

This morning there were a few others, all different guilds. The five of us were doing very well.

Two people left, and then the third. My friend and I had no chance of doing things on our own, not with five captains (including two bards and a fencer) around. So we had to leave too.

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If someone wants the 'new' items, they will farm the turn-in items.

If they make all new powerful items, then once these become common, people will stop coming to this dungeon. Length of time is the only difference in how long a dungeon holds people's attention.

As to small shards having a hard time with the new set-up, I really don't understand. I see people solo the captains, I see people tag team the captains. The bard was nerfed and I see dexxers solo and tag team them and they did not have super-suits. Also, try using Honor to drag them back out when they despawn when past the town edge, or teleports. I have not seen anything that a small population shard could not handle. Stop bringing crafters with taming skill and expect to do high-end content. Make a high-end character. (This was not aimed at anyone specifically. Its just what I have observed in the past.)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have not seen anything that a small population shard could not handle. Stop bringing crafters with taming skill and expect to do high-end content. Make a high-end character. (This was not aimed at anyone specifically. Its just what I have observed in the past.)

You clearly haven't been on a "small population shard."

I've never brought a "crafter" nor any characters with "taming skill." As far as "high-end" content, I've brought characters very well equipped for this. There is absolutely no reason for you to have made such comments insinuating anyone did anything of the kind. If you want to be taken seriously, then you should stop disparaging others with legitimate complaints about current design. This is not people complaining about the difficulty of killing balrons.

If you've seen someone "solo" a captain, I'd like to see the person try when it teleports back behind two captains, half a dozen bone demons and four succubi, then starts healing itself back up. And what are two people going to do when a couple more captains spawn right on top of them? The ratio is completely screwed up.

Bards "nerfed" -- except when a wizard knocks you off your mount, and a bard's cacophony means you can't outrun them.