• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NO thought put into invasion and small shard population.

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks. I play a smaller shard and we have been at the same invasion towns since server up today due to lack of players and the inability to kill these overpowered so called captains. Again, thanks...for nothing.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks. I play a smaller shard and we have been at the same invasion towns since server up today due to lack of players and the inability to kill these overpowered so called captains. Again, thanks...for nothing.

Armor Ignore Throwers..... Boats.... Range 11 Tiles.. Call it a Win ...5 players .. Not that hard.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I commend you nexxed for figuring out a way to kill these things efficiently however it is sort of done in a way that's probably not intended.

however, given the Dev's ideas that every event put into place these days has to be a grind that takes 24 straight hours of computer attendance I salute you sir.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I commend you nexxed for figuring out a way to kill these things efficiently however it is sort of done in a way that's probably not intended.

however, given the Dev's ideas that every event put into place these days has to be a grind that takes 24 straight hours of computer attendance I salute you sir.
On the contrary, Kyronix has posted encouraging the use of boats and cannon in this instance.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry I was being a bit sarcastic. I feel for you S S, I can see for a low population shard it being an absolute nightmare.
I was doing invasion yesterday and at one time when some of the spawn appeared it was instant death whatever char I was using.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Lake Austin is also a small shard. We managed to clear on city, and we were working on another before people had to leave due to the lateness. General chat is a life saver. When a city was under attack, people let the shard know where and the type of mobs. Then folks started discussing what were the best methods. We started of with our core event members (about 5 of us). More people started joining as soon as they knew that the event was active :) . Lots of people on the shard didn't know about the event. Don't give up, people will start joining.

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Seems like cannons have been tested in & out then with that one shot fired.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Think they only think about Atlantic and the big crowd....really should have ramped them down for solo or even two players....and the devs were warned...just took no notice....

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really feel they should have scaled the mob difficulty based on shard population. It feels like this event was designed with only Atlantic in mind where we have enough people to do invasions all day long without stopping. Those captains take forever to kill with a shard full of people, I can't imagine how long it takes on smaller shards.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really feel they should have scaled the mob difficulty based on shard population. It feels like this event was designed with only Atlantic in mind where we have enough people to do invasions all day long without stopping. Those captains take forever to kill with a shard full of people, I can't imagine how long it takes on smaller shards.
There is scaling in place related to the number of mobs that spawn during an invasion that indirectly relates to shard populations. Difficulty, however, is uniform across the board. Why is that?

Imagine for a moment that the difficulty of the mobs was related directly to shard population. With the availability of transfer shields, there would be a surge to "low pop" shards in an effort to more easily obtain the rewards from the event, for whatever personal reason that is. Pretty soon a low pop shard is no longer a low pop shard and complaints of cross sharders stealing rewards from the local population begin to ring out.

I've said this elsewhere and to reiterate, there are a number of tactics available in town fighting that aren't available elsewhere. You can gain the upper hand and take advantage of weaknesses.

Don't forget too, that getting the minax reward from the lighthouse and the captains is just the cherry on top of the guaranteed reward points that you accumulate with each kill of any invasion mob and the lighthouse. Finally, the rewards, reward points, and the mobs will be available to fight in future content as well - if you want to have a power session and defend 9 cities in a day or if you want to leisurely take part in one here or there the choice is yours...your efforts will be rewarded - eventually.

Happy Hunting!

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have been able to solo many of the captain types, and it usually doesnt take long. Ive said before, ive soloed on my regular dexxer (Not a sampire, not a thrower) and on a tamer the wizards, assassins, necromancers, archers, mystics (And I might be forgetting some).

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've solo'd rogues and assassins, jousting them with my swordswoman. My kit is far from uber and I'm a long way from an expert player. You just need to think a bit about which ones to take on and how
I saw an archer in Skara pinging a Necromancer that he'd trapped in a shop doorway with a box.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is scaling in place related to the number of mobs that spawn during an invasion that indirectly relates to shard populations.
"Indirectly" meaning...?

This morning right after server up, nobody else appeared to be on. I ran into three yellows with their red minions, and if that's by design, that's a bit much.

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Normally, yes, it's blocking, but Kyronix has said we can do whatever is necessary to defend our towns. I haven't done it myself, I'll admit. I just jousted them.
This opens up a lot of defensive/tactical possibilities for town defense. Can you link to us what is and isn't allowed in town defense? I don't want to get paged on and pulled to jail because because of what Kyronix stated that the GM's may not know about.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imagine for a moment that the difficulty of the mobs was related directly to shard population. With the availability of transfer shields, there would be a surge to "low pop" shards in an effort to more easily obtain the rewards from the event, for whatever personal reason that is. Pretty soon a low pop shard is no longer a low pop shard and complaints of cross sharders stealing rewards from the local population begin to ring out.

If it scaled properly it should even out no matter what people do shouldn't it? Few people vs weaker captains would ideally be killing at a similar speed as a bunch of people vs stronger capitans. As people move and populations change, the places people move TOO become harder, and the places they move FROM become easier... it would all even out.
Of course it would require there to be a scaling system in place, and I don't know if that exists or not. And more testing, but I think people would be ok with that.

Honestly it seems like a win/win for you guys. More people feel more able to functionally participate in the event, and you increase the value of an item that many people have to pay you real life money to attain.

Oh, and also... further example of why those shard shields were a horrible... horrible idea.

*shrug*

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Normally, yes, it's blocking, but Kyronix has said we can do whatever is necessary to defend our towns.
I remember him saying something about boats but I do not remember him saying EVERYTHING is legal. Please provide a link to this.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is scaling in place related to the number of mobs that spawn during an invasion that indirectly relates to shard populations. Difficulty, however, is uniform across the board. Why is that?
I play Baja which is a low population shard and if it is SCALED to population then everytime Alantic spawns then it must cover half of Tram and Fel with every spawn.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is scaling in place related to the number of mobs that spawn during an invasion that indirectly relates to shard populations. Difficulty,
This is total BULL

Sakara on Alt just spawned and it has the same amount of Spawn as does Moonglow on Baja. Baja population is no where close to being that of Alt. Also there is ONE group on Baja fighting and Alt Skara is covered with tons of players. How is this SCALED to population of a shard.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is total BULL

Sakara on Alt just spawned and it has the same amount of Spawn as does Moonglow on Baja. Baja population is no where close to being that of Alt. Also there is ONE group on Baja fighting and Alt Skara is covered with tons of players. How is this SCALED to population of a shard.
Initial spawns are always the same, the scaling relates to successive spawns after the initial. That being said I'm not going to get into specifics on how it works.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always figured mmos were for fun and to relax.
Not be a second career move or full time job.
It should not take me making new chars or as stated changes servers to enjoy a event.
So what if I get 20 Robes of dev vanquishing or totem of no life.
Make it fun , not a grind.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the contrary, Kyronix has posted encouraging the use of boats and cannon in this instance.
Welllll...let's pretend someone go on a rowboat to try and use a mage to kill a fencer. Let's pretend the NPC, when it teleported back to its original spot, did not give chase again after, which left the mage out of range on his rowboat ;).

I don't really know if the dev team intended to use boats as an exploit, because, remember what happened with the blackrock golems? But perhaps throwers can still work in this case, as referenced earlier. I thought, however, the dev team specifically coded the tele-back AI to avoid some of that mess.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Initial spawns are always the same, the scaling relates to successive spawns after the initial. That being said I'm not going to get into specifics on how it works.
I won't write another rant like I did in the other thread, but say a shard can't finish off one boss? :p not much of an invasion, then, is it? That's why I liked the Brit Invasion a lot better. We play these fantasy games to kill hordes and hordes of baddies, not a few chained minions (some of which are a little too hard to be called minions when compared to a giant serpent) and an invulnerable-yet-can-still-attack-you boss. Too late now, I suppose, for this round.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I play Atlantic, Origin, and Napa Valley. I've already determined I will have to do all of my play on Atlantic and transfer any items I eventually get. I will need the team support and I can't get enough population on the other shards to sustain these invasions. The mobs are just a tad too difficult to solo. Bummer too. It could have been fun playing Origin in the wee hours of the morning before work.

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra,are there any cities that will remain invasion free? If I lived on a small population shard I'd love to know I had 1 safe place to bank and do biz without having to risk finding a town crier that isn't surrounded by mobs.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra,are there any cities that will remain invasion free? If I lived on a small population shard I'd love to know I had 1 safe place to bank and do biz without having to risk finding a town crier that isn't surrounded by mobs.
Only the Virtue cities and Vesper are under attack. Everything else is safe. Cove, Luna, Umbra, Zento and Termur are safe.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Off the top of my head.... Cove, Wind, Papua, Serpent's Hold, Nu'jelm, Ocllo, Buccaneer's Den, New Haven, Delucia, Royal City, Zento plus the Ilshenar banks.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is total BULL

UPDATE
Alt cleared their spawn in 15 min, CONGRATS.
Baja took 2+ hours to clear their spawn, guess we know which shard will make out on this event as per norm.

Guess we all go to Alt and buy our goodies because that is the only way you will get them.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so where or how do we see these points ?

Took me over an HOUR to kill one macer captain with a Mystic Spellweaving Mage and a Tamer with a GD. Talk about total total grind. The mini artis are total junk, so far I have 7 of them and there is nothing worth keeping, get better loot off lizardmen in wrong. Yes I will have to get another 3 to trade them in for something worth having.

Give me treasures of tokuno anyday. You picked a mob to suit your char, had a decent chance of a 'drop', built up your mini's, some of which were actually useful or nice deco, and traded iexcess in for the majors. Killing these captains is the most BORING grind I have had to deal with in a long time. Do they just create em with 2 million hit points so you have to just sit and bash bash bash bash bash over and over again til you finally either die of boredom or the critter dies. I have killed a macer, couple of mystics, couple of wizards and a bard. The bard totally sucks, it can discord you, but you can't discord it. Who designed that ? In fact why design stuff that a bard can't use it's skills on at all? Character discrimination at it's worst.

I have a lighthouse that says it is 'attackable', took it from 100% to 72% health, then it just stopped being able to be attacked, even tho it still said it was attackable and still does. No idea on that either.

Well after one day, think I will get my last three mini's and call it quits. Just too much of a grind to bother with.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe someone posted cannons do 24 damage, yep, not wasting time, resources and energy on that.
You want to participate in an invasion and not waste time, resources and energy?

No wonder you are just bottom feeding around on a dead shard. You get what you deserve. I hope you enjoy your lonely castle or whatever else it is that keeps you in solitude. Or maybe you are one of those teary-eyed historians that basically plays by himself on a dead shard for the sake of ancient pixel history?

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always figured mmos were for fun and to relax.
Not be a second career move or full time job.
It should not take me making new chars or as stated changes servers to enjoy a event.
So what if I get 20 Robes of dev vanquishing or totem of no life.
Make it fun , not a grind.
If you want to relax you should maybe just hang out in your house and relax. Not look for an invasion mob maybe?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so where or how do we see these points ?

Took me over an HOUR to kill one macer captain with a Mystic Spellweaving Mage and a Tamer with a GD. Talk about total total grind. The mini artis are total junk, so far I have 7 of them and there is nothing worth keeping, get better loot off lizardmen in wrong. Yes I will have to get another 3 to trade them in for something worth having.

Give me treasures of tokuno anyday. You picked a mob to suit your char, had a decent chance of a 'drop', built up your mini's, some of which were actually useful or nice deco, and traded iexcess in for the majors. Killing these captains is the most BORING grind I have had to deal with in a long time. Do they just create em with 2 million hit points so you have to just sit and bash bash bash bash bash over and over again til you finally either die of boredom or the critter dies. I have killed a macer, couple of mystics, couple of wizards and a bard. The bard totally sucks, it can discord you, but you can't discord it. Who designed that ? In fact why design stuff that a bard can't use it's skills on at all? Character discrimination at it's worst.

I have a lighthouse that says it is 'attackable', took it from 100% to 72% health, then it just stopped being able to be attacked, even tho it still said it was attackable and still does. No idea on that either.

Well after one day, think I will get my last three mini's and call it quits. Just too much of a grind to bother with.

Open the context menu on the Agent of the crown and select claim Blackthorn artifacts. On top (Just like clean-up points). You Can see the points. Also when you turn in a item the agent of crown says how many point you have above his head.

The lighthouse needs to be destroyed in Several stages. First it go from 100% to 72%. Then you need to kill more Captains. Then it go down from 72% to 24%. Then after killing more Captains it can be destroyed.

If you find yourself alone, Just kill all the monsters and avoid/Ignore the Captains. The normal monsters drom Minax Crests too. Infact with 1300 Luck on my warrior (400 Jewelry = 900 Luck Statue) I got as much minor artifacts from monsters then from Captains and Lighthouse.

To fight the Captains I build me a new Katana for my warrior (remember he just a basic old school warrior)

The Armor Ignore is what most important to the Weapon. The lightning is for Extra damage. I can do up too 90 damage if i use armor Ignore. For now I'm Happy about it but its possible that I will build a new one thats is not in dull copper. :)

Its all small things that can make a change.

For who have problems on smaller shards to fight the invasion, maybe should come to Drachenfels and we can show you how it is done.

And now its a good time your Governors can show what thet are made of, its time to show responsibility to their Citizens. We on Drachenfels are already going to work together to fight the invasion on a scheduled weekly base (Rotating beween Fridays and Saturdays). This is for the ones (Everyone is welcome of course) Who don't have enough time or are not good enough to fight them alone.

"Kick" your governors for this, thats why they their for!

And you know what? Feel free to "Steal" our idea. :)
http://stratics.com/community/threads/guardians-of-britannia.306643/Guardians of Britannia

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You want to participate in an invasion and not waste time, resources and energy?

No wonder you are just bottom feeding around on a dead shard. You get what you deserve. I hope you enjoy your lonely castle or whatever else it is that keeps you in solitude. Or maybe you are one of those teary-eyed historians that basically plays by himself on a dead shard for the sake of ancient pixel history?
One click, two clicks, done. Shrugs :)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well............
I did post here about the invasion...
but did any of you listen....
Look Kyronix ...
I know you mean well and all and Yes this would be perfect for those on a full shard like Atlantic... but when you cant pull together more then say 5 people per shard and tried on over a dozen shards.... we tried to face this mess.
Yes if you can wait for the shards time fraim and the days the players who live there show up .... you might get the first mob knocked down ... but who has that kind of time and organization?
A few years ago yea... but now?
Most of which is on the lower population shards are not your garden variety sluggers... we talking miners, crafters and the occasional tamer...
Hint: the original invasions way back in the 97-2000 era did a gradual upping of mobs and strength in numbers. This gave people who were not so great at it a chance to feel like they got some of the play time in to it... Granted the major hitters would wipe them out in a single swing... yes I know we have idiots who don't care to let the less endowed player have a bit of the action. It's the thought that counts... who knows if it was on a low pop shard a few of the low end spawns would go over better.

PS: Yes it is illegal to block mobs....... Way back before this Dev this action would get you tossed into the hoosegow and a 3 day suspention in your account. But this is the time the Dev can and do bend the rules for their own ideas.... Perhaps Mesanna allowed this but I ask her this... whats next in the rule breaking?

Last edited:

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Drachenfels is a small shard and two days into the invasion and we are doing fine. People are even venturing over to Felucca when there is no Trammel spawn on the go. It does take a while to complete and the bards are a pain, but if a playerbase as small as Drach can do it then 90% of the other shards shouldn't have a problem.

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most rules aren't enforced anyway imo........It's the fear of us weirdo freaky vets have of losing accounts that seems to convince to self regulate.
After all it works for wall st right?

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've solo'd rogues and assassins, jousting them with my swordswoman. My kit is far from uber and I'm a long way from an expert player. You just need to think a bit about which ones to take on and how
I saw an archer in Skara pinging a Necromancer that he'd trapped in a shop doorway with a box.
Whoa! The last time I tried spawn blocking the mob either walked thru or destroyed the object. Did they change the coding to allow for this? If so it's new day indeed. I've been under the opinion it's not possible to spawn block anymore. Intriguing..........

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We did a few fencers, macers, necros, on legends with 3-4 people. I was the tamer, we had a mage, archer and thrower. It took forever. The first few were fun, but its to much work to do this alnight and have fun. Fun being the key word. I got two min arties. I wish UO would stop with the billion hitpoint monsters - they are not fun! Why must we have to fight something for 45+ minutes for it to die! Cut the hit points in half for crying out loud.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I spent several hours on a mystic tonight, solo, in fel. It was on the edge of guardzone, so I was able to continally toss EVs at it, while poisoning, and dumping flamestrikes on it. True mage with maxed out skills, 73 SDI, 2/3 FC/FCR, and 150 int. *Finally*, after two hours, I got it down to an absolutely red bar. What happens? For the next thirty minutes, I keep doing the same, only to watch it sit there not attacking me, not attacking the EVs, just spam healing with zero pauses. When something has an absolutely red bar, and you dump 7 flamestrikes in a row on it, while it is poisoned, AND it also is being attacked by two EVs, what you don't expect to see is the health bar suddenly jump back to 5, then 10% health. Get it back down to 0... same - 5%, 10%. Having spent 2 and a half hours on it, I realized it simply was unkillable, gave up, and went home.

Nothing should be able to handle that kind of assault. Either I shouldn't really be able to harm it at all, or it should be able to be killed. I shouldn't have to have some specific template to even have a chance.

Brian

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know what I think?

CRYBABIES!!!

:sad2::sad2::sad2:

Nothing else. Drachenfels is a SMALL shard. REALLY small. I got 20 minors in 2 evenings (not 24h!) - about 3h each night. Listen to what the creative folks is suggesting, be creative yourself! Try templates. Call for arms in GC...

All this complaints = lack of creativity, lack of character, lack of standing. You are comfortable and non-creative people, always calling for mom, when things get a bit tricky!

:gee:

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know what I think?

CRYBABIES!!!

Nothing else. Drachenfels is a SMALL shard. REALLY small. I got 20 minors in 2 evenings (not 24h!) - about 3h each night. Listen to what the creative folks is suggesting, be creative yourself! Try templates. Call for arms in GC...

All this complaints = lack of creativity, lack of character, lack of standing. You are comfortable and non-creative people, always calling for mom, when things get a bit tricky!

Try that on the Stalingrad server pal.

Last edited:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Open the context menu on the Agent of the crown and select claim Blackthorn artifacts. On top (Just like clean-up points). You Can see the points. Also when you turn in a item the agent of crown says how many point you have above his head.

The lighthouse needs to be destroyed in Several stages. First it go from 100% to 72%. Then you need to kill more Captains. Then it go down from 72% to 24%. Then after killing more Captains it can be destroyed.

If you find yourself alone, Just kill all the monsters and avoid/Ignore the Captains. The normal monsters drom Minax Crests too. Infact with 1300 Luck on my warrior (400 Jewelry = 900 Luck Statue) I got as much minor artifacts from monsters then from Captains and Lighthouse.
So you only get 'points' when you actually turn in a minax artifact? And they are worth a whole 1 point each.You don't get points for actually killing spawn?

You say that you are getting minax drops from the lesser spawn? Do these drop in pack or on ground. I have killed tons of the lesser spawn and gotten zip, I have been solo so know that noone else is getting anything.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know what I think?

CRYBABIES!!!

Drachenfels is a LOT bigger than the Oceania shard. In fact it is positively crowded in comparison.

From 9am til after lunch most days I am the ONLY person at the invasion, so please, keep your opinions to your self if all you want to do is call people cry babies. The MOST people I have seen at any one time is 6. And that is a darn crowd. Mostly it has been 4 of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.