• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 81 Comes to Origin and Izumo

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're gonna have to have a non-exceptional one then which I would assume would be less than 600 weight.
Yeah, I think so. I did some more checking and changed the list I posted above. I'm about to pull my hair out trying to keep track of the various caps.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for all your hard work in testing Tina.
It's been fun. I just wish I knew who the Stephen is that beat me out for governor of Magincia. I even pestered a couple of friends into voting!! LOL Wondering if it's Bleak.

Last edited:

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been fun. I just wish I knew who the Stephen is that beat me out for governor of Magincia. I even pestered a couple of friends into voting!! LOL Wondering if it's Bleak.
Might be Stephen of Danish Knuckleheads who own a lot of land on Magincia, Drachenfels.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
S.. Well I guess..O.. We will just have to deal..T..with this for now..A

:) see what I did there sooo sneaky

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so cant get balanced on 2hand weapons from loot? just bows? can only imbue balance on 2handers?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm Title for Tina......
Ok
I got it!
Kings Officaial Crash Test Not So Dummy
or a most lady like title
Grand Lady Tina Royal Tester of The Realm

With title id say Dev give her for that tester a diplomatic passport to the shards for use in her endevor to test.

Last edited:

Legendary Rick

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Do existing weapons automatically receive the new higher imbuing cap on the 2handed/bows or must new weapons be crafted?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we had a solar flair today and it made a mess of some web arteries..... so lag might be had for a few..

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, I would like to discuss my original concern about the new refinements and maybe someone can clear this up or verify this or me.

The Hit chance in PVP is based off HCI, DCI, and the oponents skill from what I remember (these are in no particular order as I cannot remember the original sequence).

ETA: I think I found the formula.

FORMULA: Hit Chance% = ( ( [Attacker's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Attacker's Hit Chance Increase] ) divided by
( [Defender's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Defender's Defense Chance Increase] * 2 ) ) * 100
Minimum hit Chance% is 2% at all times.
(See 'chance to block an attack' below for Final Hit Chance%)
So both with the max skill and 45 hci/dci cap it was 50% chance to hit according to the calculator.

I figured this and from the 45 cap to a 70 cap the odds of hitting someone drop to ~32% not including block.

So with the new refinements putting the cap up to 70 dci, where before you could just overcap which only affected hld, this now changes the hit chance.

Doesn't this give PVP a pretty big nerf as far as any sort of dexer template?

Also are there any intentions to raise the HCI cap to compensate and rebalance the HIT CHANCE/DEFENSE CHANCE.

Could someone please clarify for this for me? Thanks.

Last edited:

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, I would like to discuss my original concen about the new refinements and maybe someone can clear this up or verify this or me.

The RNG for hitting in PVP is based off HCI, DCI, and the oponents skill from what I remember (these are in no particular order as I cannot remember the original sequence).

So both with the max skill and 45 hci/dci cap it was 50% chance to hit according to the calculator.
I will figure the 70 DCI in a sec.

So with the new refinements putting the cap up to 70 dci, where before you could just overcap which only affected hld, this now changes the RNG.

Also are there any intentions to raise the HCI cap to compensate and rebalance the RNG?

I raised concerns about the new DCI myself sir, but was told to play as a mage....

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This did not even include the BLOCK % from using a weapon or parry which i think gives another 20-35% chance to block?

Perhaps I figured this wrong but this doesn't look good from where I'm standing.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to have to max out HLD on my weapon, don't even know if that will help.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would welcome any feedback from Bleak or another Dev explaining their justification / reasoning for the adjustments and ramifications to pvp as a result of refinement.

Reactions: hen

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to have to max out HLD on my weapon, don't even know if that will help.
So from what I gather you have a 32% chance, not including parry or bushido, to drop their DCI down to the 45 which then becomes 50% chance to hit if they're wearing the 70 dci cap.

Perhaps they need to up the scale on HLD some?

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi, I would like to discuss my original concern about the new refinements and maybe someone can clear this up or verify this or me.

The Hit chance in PVP is based off HCI, DCI, and the oponents skill from what I remember (these are in no particular order as I cannot remember the original sequence).

I figured this and from the 45 cap to a 70 cap the odds of hitting someone drop to ~32% not including block.

So with the new refinements putting the cap up to 70 dci, where before you could just overcap which only affected hld, this now changes the hit chance.

Also are there any intentions to raise the HCI cap to compensate and rebalance the HIT CHANCE/DEFENSE CHANCE.

new HLD will drop the person to 45dci. and the person if they had 70dci would have 65s in ever resist, and probably get uberpwned. I plan to laugh at anyone with 70 dci in pvp, as 65 resist caps will get them hammered.

Last edited:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
new HLD will drop the person to 45dci. and the person if they had 70dci would have 65s in ever resist, and probably get uberpwned.
I don't think so, at 45% it still only a 50% hit chance - blocking.

It doesn't seem reasonable.

It could be true for someone not running at cap but then again theyd have 70s resists.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
new HLD will drop the person to 45dci. and the person if they had 70dci would have 65s in ever resist, and probably get uberpwned. I plan to laugh at anyone with 70 dci in pvp, as 65 resist caps will get them hammered.
By a mage perhaps, but this does't excuse the nerf to hit chance for dexers in pvp.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think so, at 45% it still only a 50% hit chance - blocking.

It doesn't seem reasonable.

It could be true for someone not running at cap but then again theyd have 70s resists.
right, so hld would drop them to the standard 50/50, plus your weapons will do bigger damage to the player.

Then if you have a mage in ur group, who curses them down to 55 resists...lol

I play dexers and mages, and personally believe you are over-exaggerating this.

Last edited:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
right, so hld would drop them to the standard 50/50, plus your weapons will do bigger damage to the player.

Then if you have a mage in ur group, who curses them down to 55 resists...lol
You can't really justify an adjustment to one template because it benefits another.

I imagine most mages will try and run 70 dci now.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can't really justify an adjustment to one template because it benefits another.

I imagine most mages will try and run 70 dci now.
So when some guy runs 75 in all elemental resists to counter mages, and only has 20dci, are you going to say that is ok?

*points at signature*

Oh, and NO MAGES will use refinements. refinements are for non-med armor. ever tried to use a caster in non-med armor? it is laughable.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
oh and fyi, no one is going to sacrifice all those resists to hit 70dci, maybe 55-60dci, and at that point hld will drop them below 45

Archers got a huge boost in this publish, and dexers in general really. Why are making a big deal out of this? I know you play(ed?) archers.

Last edited:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So when some guy runs 75 in all elemental resists to counter mages, and only has 20dci, are you going to say that is ok?

*points at signature*
The probability of anyone running 20 DCI for 75 resists is very low. The probability of someone rolling around with 65 resists and 70 dci is much higher.

I guess I'm not sure of what your point is?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh and fyi, no one is going to sacrifice all those resists to hit 70dci, maybe 55-60dci, and at that point hld will drop them below 45

Archers got a huge boost in this publish, and dexers in general really. Why are making a big deal out of this? I know you play(ed?) archers.
I haven't used an archer in years.

ETA: IT's not a benefit if you effectively reduce the chance of hitting someone by 20%

Last edited:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess to summarize your point Cetric, you're saying the change to defense/ hit chance is fine because no one is going to use refining anyways?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA: I think I already know your answer and I disagree with that they wont use it in pvp. With hld now ignoring overcapping people will use the refinement or become toast to any dexer.

This increases the chances of them using it and trashing hit chance as well as giving mages a better advantage against dexers.

So either way, you're going to get your ass kicked by a dexer or going to get your ass kicked by a mage.

Doesn't seem to be a balance to me.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess to summarize your point Cetric, you're saying the change to defense/ hit chance is fine because no one is going to use refining anyways?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Just about lol. It will be only slightly used in pvp. People tend to want their balanced suit, good against both casters and dexers. Using a refinement one way or the other will make you better against one and in trouble against the other.

they lowered it to 70dci that way after hld, you were back to square one. anything less than 70dci and u are going below 45dci anyways after hld, so you are gunna hit them... a lot more than the standard guy without refinements.

UO pvp typically isn't how you fair against one specific template, but how you fare against a whole, or in groups, or in ganks, etc etc. I've made many mentions of my parry mage. He can dominate a dexer, but fighting a mage, hes still a boosted up pure mage but he lacks that extra offensive capability. Similiar tradeoff, only in refinements case, the tradeoff hurts you more.

And sorry, back when i saw you on great lakes frequently (i barely play there myself anymore) you were always on Berethran the archer, in.. TB? Right?

Last edited:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just about lol. It will be only slightly used in pvp. People tend to want their balanced suit, good against both casters and dexers. Using a refinement one way or the other will make you better against one and in trouble against the other.

they lowered it to 70dci that way after hld, you were back to square one. anything less than 70dci and u are going below 45dci anyways after hld, so you are gunna hit them... a lot more than the standard guy without refinements.

UO pvp typically isn't how you fair against one specific template, but how you fare against a whole, or in groups, or in ganks, etc etc. I've made many mentions of my parry mage. He can dominate a dexer, but fighting a mage, hes still a boosted up pure mage but he lacks that extra offensive capability. Similiar tradeoff, only in refinements case, the tradeoff hurts you more.

And sorry, back when i saw you on great lakes frequently (i barely play there myself anymore) you were always on Berethran the archer, in.. TB? Right?
It seems to be an extreme to me on both ends of the scale.

So it seems the option is to roll around with 70 resists with the probability of being reduced to 29 DCI when hit with hld, or roll around with 65 resists with 70 DCI dropping to 45 DCI when hit with hld.

I moved Berethrain from GL to LS to Chessy where he stayed about 2 -3 years ago. I did log on to him the other day and got my ass kicked soo horrendously. But you're right that is the same character.

Last edited:

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and NO MAGES will use refinements. refinements are for non-med armor. ever tried to use a caster in non-med armor? it is laughable.
Actually, thanks to the more recent updates, it might actually have become quite viable. Use studded for a total of 55% lower mana cost, and get MR3 or more on all the pieces thanks to refining and shame loot, and you'll be quite OK manawise with just focus. ;)

The only ones that are screwed are stealthers.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, thanks to the more recent updates, it might actually have become quite viable. Use studded for a total of 55% lower mana cost, and get MR3 or more on all the pieces thanks to refining and shame loot, and you'll be quite OK manawise with just focus. ;)

I thought they removed imbuing intensity from mage armor when buying it?

This is one of the things that is so unclear whether they kept or not.

Plus exceptional samurai armor is still mage armor from crafting.

Have to look more into the mage armor bit.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought they removed imbuing intensity from mage armor when buying it?

This is one of the things that is so unclear whether they kept or not.

Plus exceptional samurai armor is still mage armor from crafting.

Have to look more into the mage armor bit.
Don't need mage armor. No meditation. Mage armor is going to be totally ****ed over this patch so why bother.

Last edited:

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Re stealthers, can I stealth in studded 100% of the time at 100 or 120?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't need mage armor. No meditation. Mage armor is going to be totally ****** over this patch so why bother.
Yeah, I really have no clue. I haven't messed with this much.

I am hoping someone can explain the whole thing to me better and help my lack of understanding.

What I gather everything is now a scaled mana regen/med, is this right?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I tried running a mystic mage once, 0 med, 120 focus, and had like 21 mana regen. I couldn't keep mana for anything to save my life.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried running a mystic mage once, 0 med, 120 focus, and had like 21 mana regen. I couldn't keep mana for anything to save my life.
No but this time your spells are an additional 25% cheaper.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It seems to be an extreme to me on both ends of the scale.

So it seems the option is to roll around with 70 resists with the probability of being reduced to 29 DCI when hit with hld, or roll around with 65 resists with 70 DCI dropping to 45 DCI when hit with hld.

I moved Berethrain from GL to LS to Chessy where he stayed about 2 -3 years ago. I did log on to him the other day and got my ass kicked soo horrendously. But you're right that is the same character.
Trust me, it will be ok. you have no reason to trust me, but im just saying it anwyays lol. Assuming everything is working properly.. lol, but i think it is. Think of anyone you killed over time that rocked 70dci (hit lower defense proof). People have been making 70dci suits for years, now if you want 70dci (hld proof) you need non-med armor and 65 in every resist.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trust me, it will be ok. you have no reason to trust me, but im just saying it anwyays lol. Assuming everything is working properly.. lol, but i think it is. Think of anyone you killed over time that rocked 70dci (hit lower defense proof). People have been making 70dci suits for years, now if you want 70dci (hld proof) you need non-med armor and 65 in every resist.

It's not quite the same man, overcapping did not affect the original 50% hit chance, it only affected HLD.

70 DCI now affects hit chance down to 32%.

Like I said at the moment you either risk going to 29 dci after hld or 55 resists after curse.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's not quite the same man, overcapping did not affect the original 50% hit chance, it only affected HLD.

70 DCI now affects hit chance down to 32%.

Like I said at the moment you either risk going to 29 dci after hld or 55 resists after curse.
True, it isn't exactly the same, just similiar after hld. I'll leave you be, you are pretty set in your opinion =)

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True, it isn't exactly the same, just similiar after hld. I'll leave you be, you are pretty set in your opinion =)
It's true, it's similar only in the HLD sense minus the 18% to land HLD at all. I guess this simply differs in opinions.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do existing weapons automatically receive the new higher imbuing cap on the 2handed/bows or must new weapons be crafted?
i just checked my old Testubo things on Origin and they are all up to 600 weight now.
i even bumped up the stuff on one of them since there was more room now.
i didnt check any of my bows but id assume they would be the same.

ShadowTrauma

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is just going to be one of those times where we all have feverishly stated our views and opinions on the issues with these additions/changes, and now we are just going to wait and see how this massive publish plays out on live servers.

Refinement's PvE implications are already obvious enough to most and they will be incredibly powerful in certain situations. I would argue too strong (more so uneeded), however there is no point in crusading my opinion against a system that will be comming regardless of my feelings. A system that some players are apparently looking forward to as well. * To each their own. *

Refinement's PvP implications are far harder to effectively theorize or explain, as each player's experience in pvp is unique. Cetric's comments are not entirely wrong, but neither are Berethrain's, there are many situations where both views can be pictured with varying degrees of accuracy. Refinements definately affect dexxers more so than mages, I do believe that will almost always be the case based on a dexxers reliance on chance to do damage. It will only be a matter of time before the majority of pvpers decide how Refinements will effect the PvP metagame, and we all see if it will be a positive experience or a negative one soon enough. I have my own ideas and theories in this case.

In both cases I wish the process had been streamlined a little further. It is however in vastly better shape than when it started, but it still has a ways to go.

I'm also still bummed out that Mage armor (and Balanced on two-handed weapons to a lesser degree) is currently fubar.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure that the refinement components are going to drop in sufficiently large quantities and for the armor styles and in the intensities desired for refining to really have a huge impact right away.

It took me about 2 hours of shop stealing, waiting around to lose criminal status to be able to move on to somewhere else, waiting for a rez when one busybody NPC decided to call the guards, etc., today on Origin to acquire the following less-than-impressive collection of 16 non-stacking refinement components:

CARPENTRY
Gloss of Protection for Gargish Stone Armor

TAILORING
Cure of Protection for Studded Leather Armor
2X Cure of Protection for Studded Samurai Armor
Cure of Protection for Bone Armor
Cure of Defense for Hide Armor
Wash of Protection for Studded Samurai Armor
Wash of Protection for Bone Armor
Wash of Defense for Hide Armor

SMITHING
2X Polish of Protection for Dragon Armor
Polish of Defense for Dragon Armor
Scour of Protection for Platemail Samurai
Scour of Protection for Ringmail
Scour of Defense for Platemail
Scour of Defense for Platemail Samurai Armor
Scour of Defense for Dragon Armor

I don't have a t-hunter on Origin and my fisher is on an account I have had closed for several years. I reactivated it last week to do some house shuffling, so I maybe could go take her out and hope to get some MIBs and see what those have in them in the way of refinement components.

One guildmate is out of town for several days and the other is working long days at work this week, so doing a champ spawn is out of the question. Not sure I want to try to tackle pirate and merchant ships solo, as I've never tried them before and have heard they can be terribly tedious. So, long story short, I'm sorta stuck on doing a whole lot more to look for refinement components on Origin. It's terribly quiet, so I don't even know who else is even around when there's not an EM event going on. I'm tired and kinda bummed at this point and losing interest in doing much more testing. Could look at messing with the enhancement stuff with various materials, but just not sure I want to bother at this point as I have little use for nonmeddable armor and hate to waste the materials. I'd really like the question about the imbuing weight for Mage Armor to be answered and so far it hasn't been. This publish doesn't include a lot in it that's actually "fun," although shop stealing was fun for maybe the first half hour because I hadn't really ever done it before. But it just ended up feeling like the time put into it wasn't worth the results and because I don't feel like using up storage space on something I really don't see myself using.

Oh well. Sorry this is long. Just kinda tired of it all tonight.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The probability of anyone running 20 DCI for 75 resists is very low. The probability of someone rolling around with 65 resists and 70 dci is much higher.

I guess I'm not sure of what your point is?
The point is that anyone doing that will find in short order that when a mage enters the screen... they start talking in oOOoOOOOos. I really doubt many pvpers will use refinements at all. Maybe like Cetric said to get like 50-55 dci, but they are still going to be leaving themselves open to someone wise to their tactics.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure that the refinement components are going to drop in sufficiently large quantities and for the armor styles and in the intensities desired for refining to really have a huge impact right away.

It took me about 2 hours of shop stealing, waiting around to lose criminal status to be able to move on to somewhere else, waiting for a rez when one busybody NPC decided to call the guards, etc., today on Origin to acquire the following less-than-impressive collection of 16 non-stacking refinement components:

CARPENTRY
Gloss of Protection for Gargish Stone Armor

TAILORING
Cure of Protection for Studded Leather Armor
2X Cure of Protection for Studded Samurai Armor
Cure of Protection for Bone Armor
Cure of Defense for Hide Armor
Wash of Protection for Studded Samurai Armor
Wash of Protection for Bone Armor
Wash of Defense for Hide Armor

SMITHING
2X Polish of Protection for Dragon Armor
Polish of Defense for Dragon Armor
Scour of Protection for Platemail Samurai
Scour of Protection for Ringmail
Scour of Defense for Platemail
Scour of Defense for Platemail Samurai Armor
Scour of Defense for Dragon Armor

I don't have a t-hunter on Origin and my fisher is on an account I have had closed for several years. I reactivated it last week to do some house shuffling, so I maybe could go take her out and hope to get some MIBs and see what those have in them in the way of refinement components.

One guildmate is out of town for several days and the other is working long days at work this week, so doing a champ spawn is out of the question. Not sure I want to try to tackle pirate and merchant ships solo, as I've never tried them before and have heard they can be terribly tedious. So, long story short, I'm sorta stuck on doing a whole lot more to look for refinement components on Origin. It's terribly quiet, so I don't even know who else is even around when there's not an EM event going on. I'm tired and kinda bummed at this point and losing interest in doing much more testing. Could look at messing with the enhancement stuff with various materials, but just not sure I want to bother at this point as I have little use for nonmeddable armor and hate to waste the materials. I'd really like the question about the imbuing weight for Mage Armor to be answered and so far it hasn't been. This publish doesn't include a lot in it that's actually "fun," although shop stealing was fun for maybe the first half hour because I hadn't really ever done it before. But it just ended up feeling like the time put into it wasn't worth the results and because I don't feel like using up storage space on something I really don't see myself using.

Oh well. Sorry this is long. Just kinda tired of it all tonight.
Woah woah... are you telling me that each item is SPECIFIC to a type of armor not just an material type??? If so no one will ever use this system ever. That is one horrrrrrible design choice! Do they not realize that we have limited storage space?!

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong somehow!

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Huh?

1) Most pvpers are currently not all 70's imo. On all different templates.

2) Even assuming everyone was all 70's(and no way they all were)the small amount of extra damage at 65 is nothing when the huge amount of extra whiffs are factored in. Damage over time calculations would quite easily prove this out imo.

I think the DCI change is going to be a huge nerf to warriors fighting mages.

But I just have not had the patience or inclination to sort through everything so I will just keep playing and hope I am wrong :)

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The point is that anyone doing that will find in short order that when a mage enters the screen... they start talking in oOOoOOOOos. I really doubt many pvpers will use refinements at all. Maybe like Cetric said to get like 50-55 dci, but they are still going to be leaving themselves open to someone wise to their tactics.

Did you even follow the flow of the conversation?