• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] UO Forums Interviews TheGrimmOmen

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Ultima Online Forums recently published an excellent interview with TheGrimmOmen, UO Lead CG Supervisor.
What is your official job title? What does it cover/involve?
My official title is Lead CG Supervisor. Generally, a Lead CG Sup is in charge of tools (evaluation, creation, implementation, and support) and pipeline (the processes that artists follow to create art and get that artwork into the game) development. Since I’ve been doing UO art for… a long time now, my responsibilities currently also include Art Lead/Director responsibilities, which include schedule development for the art team, as well as writing up reviews and feedback for artwork being developed for UO. I also get to do concept artwork and on a good day, animation for our creatures. I’m also responsible for processing all the artwork we create to get it in the game.​
Whether you're an artist, gamer or just want to learn something about kilts, be sure to check out the complete interview.

Continue reading...

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So what did you all think of the Interview??
I loved it had lots of good insights on how the art side of things work and also about Grimm himself who is a very friendly chap! Thank you Grimm for taking the time to do the interview :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a very good interview. :) There's a few reporters here that might have wished they got it here instead, but congratulations on a job well done anyway :thumbup1:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
To be honest, for me this sounded like a job description and now i know what Grim's hobbies are and how to produce art in games...
Nothing VERY exiting concerning UO and its future but ok...
Nice to read and well done
txs

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This interview like Jeff's one is not meant to be all about UO & its future it is also about the people behind the game. how they work together.. they often get criticised about what they do, how they do it and why they do it. These interview might help with answering those questions.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
You mean, people think the boys & girls at UO Development play cards all day long and dont care about their game, earn their money for doing nothing and have poor students doing their jobs? They dont have to work because they anyway get OUR monthly subscriptions?

Not sure if serious...

:p

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You mean, people think the boys & girls at UO Development play cards all day long and dont care about their game, earn their money for doing nothing and have poor students doing their jobs? They dont have to work because they anyway get OUR monthly subscriptions?

Not sure if serious...

:p
That may be OTT, but something along those lines often is alleged on these boards.
These interviews are meant to give an insight into the person, only part of which relates to the job he does for UO. Let's not troll hmm?

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I am not trolling, its a nice interview thats what i said - but for me its just an info about a job someone does in the game industry..not more..not real an insight and look behind the curtains...so no trolling and negative to read my post - just my opinion i can let anyone know - or am i not allowed?

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Let's not get into that type of argument. Your opinion is valued and if and when any other interviews are done perhaps you can add questions your self as when UOforums organises these interviews we give time for everyone to submit questions to be added.

The inerview gives you and insite to what goes on during the normal dayof a member of the Dev team. It also has informtation on the tools that are used to bring art content to live patches. As well as his opinions on what he would like to see in the game and what he would change

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
TheGrimmOmen said:
Q: From Tancred RedStar : How long (hours) does it take a create the artwork for a single new piece of clothing for the 2D client? 3D client?
A: The 2D and 3D clients, for the most part follow down the same pipeline and diverge at various points due to requirements of each of the clients. But generally speaking, each asset can take about a month to complete. Creatures can easily take 2 to 3 months.
Two to three months per an asset/creature? That seems kind of crazy. I mean, if you made a new robe, for example, and just added details, I would assume you could do that in a couple of weeks. I wonder how long the still unfinished Staff of Pyros took to make! ;P

Also, regarding werewolves, I wonder if Grimm was around to help design Aminia. She's a sexy beast.

O

Old Man of UO

It was a good overall interview, but the one question that wasn't asked that I wanted to see is - What is your play style - PvM or PvP? Both? Crafting?
I know art is Grimm's focus, but wonder what he likes to do online in UO.

W

Woodsman

Let's not get into that type of argument. Your opinion is valued and if and when any other interviews are done perhaps you can add questions your self as when UOforums organises these interviews we give time for everyone to submit questions to be added.
This isn't about Grimm's interview, but why do all of the interviewers seem to have a hard time asking about UO's roadmap? Are you all told there are certain things you can't ask about, or are your questions on certain topics ignored, like what the actual plans for UO are besides the storylines and the graphics update?

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This isn't about Grimm's interview, but why do all of the interviewers seem to have a hard time asking about UO's roadmap? Are you all told there are certain things you can't ask about, or are your questions on certain topics ignored, like what the actual plans for UO are besides the storylines and the graphics update?
Generate a pay cheque for people, oh wait...I ment produce a deep world with lots of new and ever changing content to capture the imagination of players thus allowing said players to interact with each other helping to build said world. Most of this production is in need of constant on going work to make sure that the player base is updated and in constant contact as to what the game plan is and how that might effect said players. :ohsnap:

W

Woodsman

Like I told somebody else this morning, after pub 76, we only have two publishes between now and the anniversary, so they should have already figured out the plans. That's assuming that pub 77 or pub 78 aren't held up. If either are held up several weeks, we might only get one more pub before the anniversary.

S

Sevin0oo0

but why do all of the interviewers seem to have a hard time asking about UO's roadmap? storylines the graphics update?
I don't think they're allowed, I think they have very clear cut boundaries, which if crossed, would come back to haunt them in a very negative manner - 'course, they can't tell you that either, as it'd be disrespectful to the rule makers.

+1 to both Avery and Grimm, awesome interview

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Its not that we don't want to ask or that they ignore questions. One thing I know I wanted from the interview was not ask the same thing everyone is asking... With a few exceptions... Jeff and Grimm and all the other Dev team get loads of questions concerning what is the future of UO. So for me it was more about the person behind the game and what they do.

OvenBird

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Ultima Online Forums recently published an excellent interview with TheGrimmOmen, UO Lead CG Supervisor.
What is your official job title? What does it cover/involve?
My official title is Lead CG Supervisor. Generally, a Lead CG Sup is in charge of tools (evaluation, creation, implementation, and support) and pipeline (the processes that artists follow to create art and get that artwork into the game) development. Since I’ve been doing UO art for… a long time now, my responsibilities currently also include Art Lead/Director responsibilities, which include schedule development for the art team, as well as writing up reviews and feedback for artwork being developed for UO. I also get to do concept artwork and on a good day, animation for our creatures. I’m also responsible for processing all the artwork we create to get it in the game.​
Whether you're an artist, gamer or just want to learn something about kilts, be sure to check out the complete interview.

Continue reading...
2-3 months for one creature! A month for a pair of pants! That blew my mind. As did the bit about producing enough animation for twelve one hour tv shows.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im sure grimm is a nice guy but frankly i never read these interviews. they never tell you anything you want to know. its sorta like one of those bogus stock tip reports that promise you 500 pct returns but never quite tell you how to achieve them.

print it out and put it in the bottom of the bird cage. usually about what its worth.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2-3 months for one creature! A month for a pair of pants! That blew my mind. As did the bit about producing enough animation for twelve one hour tv shows.
yeah, like the titan replica that is corgul. must of taken 3 months to color him black LMAO.

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
im sure grimm is a nice guy but frankly i never read these interviews. they never tell you anything you want to know. its sorta like one of those bogus stock tip reports that promise you 500 pct returns but never quite tell you how to achieve them.

print it out and put it in the bottom of the bird cage. usually about what its worth.
If it doesn't have anything you want to know it is very easy to have a say in what questions are asked... On UOforums we created a thread where posters could suggest questions to be included... Obviously not all can and we did ask that for Grimm they be kept on the subject of himself or UO Art. If everyone wants and we do another interview I can post a link to the thread set up for suggesting questions.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well let's see some of this artwork!

Enough talk....show us what the hell is being worked on (if anything) otherwise it's just more of the same. Lip service....

A year ago it was announced there were going to be upgrades to high resolution and a year later zilch has happened to make the game better. Grimms got his own corner and we've seen nothing!

Sorry to be abrasive but it's hard to believe there even is a UO artwork Designer when there is no evidence to support that since were still looking at graphics from 1997.

Patience is exhausted...

There has been a cycle of empty promises with only more promises and nothing come to fruition.

And then there is the KR artwork sitting on some server somewhere not being allowed in the game which was far superior to what we have in the game right now. Go figure!?

Frustrating the game has regressed in terms of visual apect and has been allowed to go on now for 2 years now.

How the hell does a game go backwards in terms of graphic resolution and expect to remain solvent?

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
uo is a retro game. the player base has spoken. get rid of the enhanced cliient which remains forever in beta and concentrate on the classic client.

OvenBird

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah, like the titan replica that is corgul. must of taken 3 months to color him black LMAO.
I believe that quote was for a new piece of artwork, not a re-hue.

uo is a retro game. the player base has spoken. get rid of the enhanced cliient which remains forever in beta and concentrate on the classic client.
I came back to the game almost two years ago after being gone for ten. I think I can thank the EC for this, it just runs smoother on my PC. Just my opinion, but even if it wasn't updated I'd still try to use it, if even just for the grid container view.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The declining playerbase has spoken?

Where are these die hard Jurassics that were such staunch supports of the 2d client. Many players spoke out against the EC and KR. Well where are they now?

Essentially that is what has happened and is happening: attrition of the UO Playerbase without gaining new players and is nothing short of a recipe for failure.

It's not rocket science...UO needs a major face lift (high resolution graphics) in order to attract new players and have sustainability for the future.

Einstein's theory of Insanity = the classic client supporters.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why all the references to bagpipes, kilts and haggis?

S

Sevin0oo0

maybe for the big 15th, a single client? selectable dimensions, 2 or 3D - we almost have that already, just start a different exe. There's always problems, always the CC vs EC thing.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe for the big 15th, a single client? selectable dimensions, 2 or 3D - we almost have that already, just start a different exe. There's always problems, always the CC vs EC thing.
This would be the way to go i.e Titan Quest client. My issue is with the low resolution.

I myself prefer the 2D but I cannot stand the low resolution legacy graphics which are very close resembling Ultima VII: The Black Gate 1992. We got graphics that are essentially 20 years old and people wonder why were not attracting new players with all these new games hitting the market!?

W

Woodsman

To paraphrase another player, if the CC was bringing in tons of new people very month, I'd happily hop on that train and scream for the EC to be ditched, but it's not, and so comments like yours remind me of when people don't like a thread and they deliberately drag up the EC vs CC debates or the classic shard debates or the shard merger debates to deliberately get the thread locked.

I've read all of Grimm's comments, I've read all of Jeff's comments, I sincerely hope that the graphics are as good as Jeff and Grimm are saying, because I want UO to increase in population.

I'm tired of people saying "if you want to play with a bunch of other players, you have to get on Atlantic or GL or Pacific or LS or one of the Japanese shards".

I want people to say "if you want to play with a bunch of other players, here's 15 shards that are very active and good luck on finding a housing spot on the top 5".

W

Woodsman

One thing I know I wanted from the interview was not ask the same thing everyone is asking... With a few exceptions... Jeff and Grimm and all the other Dev team get loads of questions concerning what is the future of UO.
If you got them to talk about the actual roadmap of UO beyond the story or the graphics, that's something that nobody else would have gotten from them.

Because even if they get asked, they don't really answer. As somebody who has taken breaks and played many other MMORPGs, it's hard to grasp the need for secrecy, since I'm so used to all of the other MMORPGs throwing roadmaps and other future information at us.

It's not your fault, if you are happy with the interview, good. It's a big interview and I hope to see a lot more of them.

It's just that a lot of us want to hear as much or more about UO's roadmap than getting to know the team members.

We have 4 months to go until the anniversary, and that's only 2 publishes (if we are lucky and none get pushed back). We're getting tight on time.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a good overall interview, but the one question that wasn't asked that I wanted to see is - What is your play style - PvM or PvP? Both? Crafting?
I know art is Grimm's focus, but wonder what he likes to do online in UO.
Personally, I like PvM and crafting. I haven't gotten in to PVP too much. I hear it's fun, but my losing streak is really daunting... ;-)

You guys know that I READ these boards, right? LOL

Feel free to ask me questions anytime - I'll answer them to the best of my ability!

-Grimm
(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD)

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you got them to talk about the actual roadmap of UO beyond the story or the graphics, that's something that nobody else would have gotten from them.

Because even if they get asked, they don't really answer. As somebody who has taken breaks and played many other MMORPGs, it's hard to grasp the need for secrecy, since I'm so used to all of the other MMORPGs throwing roadmaps and other future information at us.

It's not your fault, if you are happy with the interview, good. It's a big interview and I hope to see a lot more of them.

It's just that a lot of us want to hear as much or more about UO's roadmap than getting to know the team members.

We have 4 months to go until the anniversary, and that's only 2 publishes (if we are lucky and none get pushed back). We're getting tight on time.
You're being kind of rude, hijacking this thread to outline your vision for what the developers should be telling us (not for the first time).
Your efforts may be better spent on interviewing the developers yourself.

Reactions: Nok

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two to three months per an asset/creature? That seems kind of crazy. I mean, if you made a new robe, for example, and just added details, I would assume you could do that in a couple of weeks. I wonder how long the still unfinished Staff of Pyros took to make! ;P

Also, regarding werewolves, I wonder if Grimm was around to help design Aminia. She's a sexy beast.
Yea, the timeline varies a great deal depending on what else is getting worked on at the same time, but generally 2 months is the average. It's not so crazy when you think of the time it takes to complete concepting, modeling, texturing, rigging, animations, rendering, generate/ edit all the support files - some of those things have several iterations, then there's bug fixing.

Nope, I don't think I was around then, if so, I didn't have a hand in that one, thanks for the link!

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't place any limitations on the questions that get asked me. I think it boils down to what the goal is of the interviewer, and who they are talking to. As for talking about the direction of UO,it's a tricky line talking about that, balancing not spoiling surprises and talking about things that are still so early in the planning phases that they may change or get cancelled all together. These kinds of questions are above my pay grade, but I'm alway happy to talk about what I got going on, as long as it doesn't spoil any surprises.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, it surprises a lot of people. It's the one thing that I've heard over and over again from new artists. "I thought that since this was a 2D game it would be a walk in the park, man, I had NO idea!"

We have to manage 2D and 3D assets which gives us all the technical and pipeline headaches of both video game and television projects. It's pretty amazing the sheer volume of artwork we generate and maintain. For example, in the High Seas booster, we generated more tile art than had been created in the all the years of UO previously.

-Grimm

W

Woodsman

You're being kind of rude, hijacking this thread to outline your vision for what the developers should be telling us (not for the first time).
Your efforts may be better spent on interviewing the developers yourself.
You're absolutely right, I am being rude about it. Somebody sent me some old UO dev team comments back from around 2000 when the dev team used to post about themselves and their styles and what they liked on UO.com, and I had forgotten about those types of interviews and posts. This is very similar to those types of interviews and posts. They are entertaining, and it's not fair of me to be asking about UO's future in this thread.

I apologize to everybody in this thread and especially to Rupert Avery and TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He loves Scotland! And plays the bagpipes :) he isn't too bad either... :)

legend has it his ancestors are from Scotland ;)

True. On all counts. I can't say that I love Scotland because I've never been there, but I really think I would. I seem to keep making friends in Scotland so im taking that as a sign. ;-) My ancestors are Scottish Hillbillies, I grew up in the Ozark foothills in a *very* primitive setting.

I've been playing the pipes for only about 2 1/2 years, and no, I'm not too bad.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're absolutely right, I am being rude about it. Somebody sent me some old UO dev team comments back from around 2000 when the dev team used to post about themselves and their styles and what they liked on UO.com, and I had forgotten about those types of interviews and posts. This is very similar to those types of interviews and posts. They are entertaining, and it's not fair of me to be asking about UO's future in this thread.

I apologize to everybody in this thread and especially to Rupert Avery and TheGrimmOmen
Thanks Woodsman, that's a real stand- up post. And I do understand where your coming from.

Cheers mate!

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL! It may seem that we almost have that, but believe me what I say that we are pretty far from that being a reality.

-Grimm

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, the timeline varies a great deal depending on what else is getting worked on at the same time, but generally 2 months is the average. It's not so crazy when you think of the time it takes to complete concepting, modeling, texturing, rigging, animations, rendering, generate/ edit all the support files - some of those things have several iterations, then there's bug fixing.
Ah I see...I know the sprite/char animations must be a chore for a completely new clothing item or the like, getting every angle in there. I didn't realize you meant every step of the asset, from draft board to bug fixing. Timeline makes a bit more sense to me with that in mind, I was just thinking of the artwork. :)

I think one of the problems players have is they see some hush hush third party clothing items in which only the paper doll items are changed, such as, for example, a different looking robe/dress. The sprite can be left untouched for those--at least what I've seen from the screenshots people have posted--and of course, you guys might not be too into decorating old items only on the paperdoll. But I think that's what was in my mind as well, the thought of a re-decorated robe or the like, with or without sprite work.

Nope, I don't think I was around then, if so, I didn't have a hand in that one, thanks for the link!
She's a pretty interesting part of UO, spawns on the right side of Ice Island/Dagger Isle. Here's a bit more on the Wolf Slayer dagger, called the Misericord.

As an aside, my main char on Chesapeake is called Lycanthropy, which I actually came across nerding out while--reading the dictionary. Haha. When I began playing UO I was 14, that's my excuse. But I liked the idea of the antiquated actual mental disease rather than the more commonly found mythological disease as far as these themed games go (Diablo II came out with its own brand of Lycanthropy shortly). The funny thing is one day I was playing UO at Delucia bank, and a guy stopped me and said how dare I pick the name "Lycanthropy," because they didn't think the mental disease was funny or something to throw around. I was surprised anyone would respond to the actual reason why I picked the name rather than the mythological association (I had also assumed lycanthropy to be similar to the antiquated definition to melancholy or the like, I suppose--like Ophelia in Hamlet).

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
True. On all counts. I can't say that I love Scotland because I've never been there, but I really think I would. I seem to keep making friends in Scotland so im taking that as a sign. ;-) My ancestors are Scottish Hillbillies, I grew up in the Ozark foothills in a *very* primitive setting.

I've been playing the pipes for only about 2 1/2 years, and no, I'm not too bad.

-Grimm
I should of Said you love all things Scottish :)

You need to come over some time :D

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I should of Said you love all things Scottish :)

You need to come over some time :D
You're right there! So far the foods good, the music's good, love the ... spirits from Islay,and you guys have created the best Doctor Who since Tom Baker! And a people who made even the ancient Romans say "Uuhhh, I think we've gone as far North as we need to, let's just build a wall and call it a day." can't be all bad.

Well, if our economy ever picks back up again, and I can afford to, you can count on it!

-Grimm

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You're right there! So far the foods good, the music's good, love the ... spirits from Islay,and you guys have created the best Doctor Who since Tom Baker! And a people who made even the ancient Romans say "Uuhhh, I think we've gone as far North as we need to, let's just build a wall and call it a day." can't be all bad.

Well, if our economy ever picks back up again, and I can afford to, you can count on it!

-Grimm
All very valid points :D

I don't hold much luck for out econemy though.. not that I am even a newb at understanding it all.. but there is a lot of doomsday people saying its bad!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just glad the players are now getting the big picture of what it takes in time & effort to make the things they ask for in game. Grim has to work in both 2 &3 d and its no picnic.
I for one apreciate your hard work Grim. (wish I could tell Silvani to give you a cookie but oh well prehaps Mesanna can do that....)

S

Sevin0oo0

One thing I know I wanted from the interview was not ask the same thing everyone is asking... it was more about the person behind the game and what they do.
Excluding attention-getting and urgency matters, I think it's like starting a basic crafting thread in uHall instead of the Craftsman forum section. Either Producer would be the ones to ask for spoilers, as that's their job, and their vision that directs the game. Kinda like going to the zoo and asking the lions questions about zoo design, when do we get that parking lot expansion? Interviews have to be personalized. If reporters don't know anything about them, then that should be stated up front, allowing them to freely expand in unexpected directions, turning mundane to interesting. another example are Resumes, while often custom written or re-phrased to better match the position, striving for that perfect mesh.