For the devs ( Or Grimm specifically)

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 3, 2004
Tyria
Since there is a debate over castles and keeps with their design and look, is there any future plans to change these?

Now I'm not asking about a customized option but more if you all are going to change the looks and functionality of them?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 13, 2005
Staly Vagas
The only thing they should ever consider doing to them is Remove them from the game completly.

You been to Dagger isle recently, its like a castle council estate. Ugly.

(yes i am bitter that i'll never have the 300mill needed to buy one...)

:arr:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 25, 2005
Europa Shard
the only thing that allow keep and castle to exist is the storage, if not for that I doubt someone will ever build something with all that limitations....

The solution?
sol 1) increase the storage to every customizable house in a way that the 18x18 can hold the same storage of a castle.

sol 2) add 2 more customizable basements up to 24x24 then the 24x24 should hold the same storage as a castle and 20x20 the same storage of a keep.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 23, 2007
Skara Brae
www.raptor85.com
I actually like how castles look, decorated well they're quite nice. (not to mention somewhat of a status symbol). I'm probably not even using 5% of my total storage between houses, and heck my 18x18 custom is sitting in a spot where a keep would fit, so it's not really about storage to me. Perhaps if you have accumulated so many items it might be time to trade some in for cleaning? chances are most aren't that much worth keeping, or could be easily re-obtained. (and yeah, i have certain guildmembers with multiple houses at capacity....freaking packrats, lol, half the stuff in the chests are just junk that was tossed there and never looked at again)

none of my houses are borg cubes either though, I probably "waste" 50% of the floor space in the customs just making them look nice.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 10, 2007
Um, yeah, I am against removing them completely. I've worked to long obtaining my castles. Making them somewhat customizable would be coool, but at the same time what % of the UO player base would this effect? My guess is not enough to warrant a change.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Pacific
i wouldnt mind having the different stone colors of castles and keeps and towers.

sandstone, regular, and marble..

id love to change my keep to marble or sandstone.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 19, 2008
I never thought I would abandon a costumisable 18x18 for a castle. But im a very busy player and from time to time I actually need the space of the castle and a max storage house. I love to costumise and decorate, but after 10-11 years of resisting I bought one. There is so much you could do inside the walls witout disturbing anything outside.. Ill never stop hoping.. If i had to have some rock or tree in the yard who cares, could deco around it..as long as I didnt havd the gargoyles and reapers spawning there.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Truthfully, the only thing I think they need to do with the footprint of the Keeps and Castles is to put in about five or six new types for each. Keep the same footprint, but allow an existing owner to swap for one of the new types via the house menu (similar to the turn this old house into a custom plot button).

I understand there are technical issues to castles and keeps being customizable, so I doubt we'll ever see that happen.

But... there's only one floorplan for each, and that makes them all look exactly the same. Not to mention useless side areas in the keep and a strange layout on the castle.

More footprints, aye. Customization, nay.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 19, 2002
i wouldnt mind having the different stone colors of castles and keeps and towers.

sandstone, regular, and marble..

id love to change my keep to marble or sandstone.
Yes... in addition to the multiple designs I suggested a second ago, I'd like to append that it would be very easy (and also something that should be house menu triggerable) to allow for different textures on them. I'd actually like to see:

Sandstone
Blue/gray stone
Brown/gray stone (as is presently the case)
Marble
Wooden
Combo brown/gray stone and stone-and-plaster

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 2, 2008
LS
Those with the tree or rock should be just stuck with what they have. Call it preserving history. Those in clean spots should get more useable options. Castle footprint custom would be ideal for museums. To aviod Borg cubes limit to 2 floors and roof.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com
Since there is a debate over castles and keeps with their design and look, is there any future plans to change these?

Now I'm not asking about a customized option but more if you all are going to change the looks and functionality of them?
Howdy!

Nope no plans as of yet to make any changes to castles or keeps. Seriously people, is converting legacy tile art to hi res just not enough work on my plate for you??? LOL

Seriously though, thanks for the question!

Cheers!
Grimm
(Not affiliated in ANY way to the NBC series. I was first)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sep 8, 2006
Origin
Howdy!

Nope no plans as of yet to make any changes to castles or keeps. Seriously people, is converting legacy tile art to hi res just not enough work on my plate for you??? LOL

Cheers!
Grimm
LOL

Thank you for finally responding to this.

I personally love my castle and wouldn't change a thing on it. They are very fun and challenging to decorate! I say leave them alone and work on that hi res stuff! :)

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2003
Eastern USA
How about changing the perimeter tiles of homes to allow planting seeds like is currently being wasted on Magincia? This would of course need to be implemented for courtyards as well. aaaaand while you are at it might as well make it so we can lock things down in the courtyards too. :)

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 23, 2007
Skara Brae
www.raptor85.com
I would LOVE to be able to lock things in the courtyard....could use things like the pier from oaks to build a little patio, maybe decorate my tree for christmas, of make a goldfish pond with water tiles. That would be the coolest feature castles & keeps could ever get.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com
How about changing the perimeter tiles of homes to allow planting seeds like is currently being wasted on Magincia? This would of course need to be implemented for courtyards as well. aaaaand while you are at it might as well make it so we can lock things down in the courtyards too. :)

I think that would be cool, but I couldn't begin to conceive of the technical challenges that our engineering team would have to clear to make that happen. But this kind of request is an engineering one, not so much art!

Cheers,
Grimm

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 27, 2003
It'd be nice to have castles modular, with you being able to pick a pre-fab style for the individual towers and wall sections. The floorprints of the sections will still be the same, but the looks will differ between styles. Just like custom houses can change their bottom plot style and signpost style, but on a grand scale. :)

K

Kayne

I think that would be cool, but I couldn't begin to conceive of the technical challenges that our engineering team would have to clear to make that happen. But this kind of request is an engineering one, not so much art!

Cheers,
Grimm
Can you send an Engineer this way then Grimm :)

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 31, 2001
Hi there Grimm,

any chance that rules for direction of door step will be changed in the future?

It would be really good if we could have door steps east or other direction of the house.It would make my town better looking anyway.

Castles are ugly anyway so let the customizable plots be even more customizable instead.
:)

Regards
The Scandinavian

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com
Hi there Grimm,

any chance that rules for direction of door step will be changed in the future?

It would be really good if we could have door steps east or other direction of the house.It would make my town better looking anyway.

Castles are ugly anyway so let the customizable plots be even more customizable instead.
:)

Regards
The Scandinavian
Well, I'm not much for peering into the future, but it's a possibility. Lord knows what we'd have to do with all the doors in the game to get that working...

*EDIT*
When I say that I'm not much for peering into the future, you should know that I mean... 6 months plus. I'm actually already booked up for the next 6 to 9 months!

-Grimm

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
Well, I'm not much for peering into the future, but it's a possibility. Lord knows what we'd have to do with all the doors in the game to get that working...

*EDIT*
When I say that I'm not much for peering into the future, you should know that I mean... 6 months plus. I'm actually already booked up for the next 6 to 9 months!

-Grimm

What's the chances Grimm that you can add the missing tiles into the sets. Like the half and quarter walls that are in the castles but not currently available in the housing menu?

The ones on the parapets?

There are tons of unfinished tile sets. Stairs that are missing directions... walls that are missing pieces... I could point them out for you in Inside UO....

And some just need fabricated. Would be nice if you could just add those in as you are upgrading the graphics.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Siege Perillous Community
lol.. its funny Phantus and Raptor...

I have been asking this exact same thing since the new magincia publish.

I created 3 threads on my own and went into every magincia thread and posted at LEAST 100 posts about this idea... one post I even created lately was well worded, polite.

It got 70 reads ? less than the 10th thread about transfer shields ?

Well I guess thanks, for brigning it up and proving to me I'm indeed being ignored on a grand scale ; I still had doubts it was personal.

even if we couldn't lock the things down, we should be able to hire a gardener... all the plants I tried to plant to DECORATE our guildhouse died... yet the vegetation around seems to thrive (lol @ roleplay fail)...

it never rains in magincia, and theres tons of pest...

heck I even requested magincia be considered for massive chemtrails... sterelise the damned city at once ... lol

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com
What's the chances Grimm that you can add the missing tiles into the sets. Like the half and quarter walls that are in the castles but not currently available in the housing menu?

The ones on the parapets?

There are tons of unfinished tile sets. Stairs that are missing directions... walls that are missing pieces... I could point them out for you in Inside UO....

And some just need fabricated. Would be nice if you could just add those in as you are upgrading the graphics.
That's definitely in my long term plans. It's one of the benefits of going 3d with these assets is that we will be able to have templates to go off of from now on, and we will be able to go back and fill in the sets that are missing pieces.

-Grimm

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 23, 2008
Southern Ontario, Canada
That's definitely in my long term plans. It's one of the benefits of going 3d with these assets is that we will be able to have templates to go off of from now on, and we will be able to go back and fill in the sets that are missing pieces.

-Grimm
Hallelujah! :D

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Siege Perillous Community
Ironic that the missing tiles could be mostly castle tiles...

Grimm if you want, please ask Malagaste to list the missing tiles in here... and save it in notebook.

This is the kind of feedback you can ask for, people are not going to ask "if I do this for you you have to change it"

They'll gladly contribute and hope for the best. :spider:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 3, 2004
Tyria
Howdy!

Cheers!
Grimm
Thank you for taking the time to answer. Trust me I appreciate the art work you have been working on. I just wasnt sure if there may be a design change in the future on easier use of the current design of castles and keeps.

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 31, 2001

*EDIT*

-Grimm
Hi Grimm,

I'm sorry.My wording was terrible.
:blushing:

What I meant was the tiles outside the plot(door step to to enter the plot so to speak).As it is now you can only enter the plot from south.I would like to enter the plot from other directions than south.

Regards
The Scandinavian