• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crashing to Desktop

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm having problems with crashing to desktop. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have been having this problem for a while it happens 1 or 2 times a day ! Seems to happen when i am moving only!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It happened twice to me near Yew gate (Fel). It seems to happen in areas with a lot of housing.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been happening to me and my two kids a couple times during 2-4 hours gaming sessions.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been having this problem for a while it happens 1 or 2 times a day ! Seems to happen when i am moving only!
It happens to me mostly after I just recalled to a location or used a moongate. I've also noticed that the spell graphic effects of the mage ratman inside the cavern of the discarded might also trigger a crash. I'm quite used to it now but a fix would be great.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Maybe it's worthwhile posting system specs.

Windows 7 64
OCZ Vertex 2 Extended SATA II SSD
Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Sapphire Radeon HD 5750
8GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz XMS3

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Windows Vista 64
Intel(R) E8400
Ati Radeon HD 3800
4GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz

W

Woodsman

It seems to happen in areas with a lot of housing.
This was my experience as well. It doesn't happen often (twice in the past 6 days), but both times it was in an area with houses. It's always came back up quickly so it's never been a problem.

Hardware
iMac i7 Quad 27-inch
Mac OS X 10.6.6
12GB RAM (DDR3)
ATI Radeon 5750

I'm running the EC through both CrossOver Games 10.0 with the latest version of DirectX for Windows XP, and through VMWare Fusion (3.1.2) VM that is running Windows 7.

The two crashes I've had, one was under CrossOver Games, one was under VMWare Fusion running Windows 7.

If anybody is curious, I prefer running UO through CrossOver Games, it seems to be better on the system. Both are equally fast, but the fan seems to spin up to full speed a lot less when running under CrossOver Games.

Both are good for running UO seamlessly within Mac OS X though.

W

Woodsman

For whatever reason, no matter what account I'm on or whether it's through CrossOver, VMWare, or Boot Camp, I can crash the EC on the docks at Skara Brae, on the island side of the docks, as I'm heading to the boats to cross over.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm running the EC through both CrossOver Games 10.0 with the latest version of DirectX for Windows XP, and through VMWare Fusion (3.1.2) VM that is running Windows 7.
That's a fun setup. :)

W

Woodsman

That's a fun setup. :)
I was surprised at how smooth and fast it was.

I've occasionally run the classic client in the past through Parallels Desktop and VMWare just for checking a few things or helping some friends do something, but decided to try out CrossOver with the EC for some serious play on a whim. It's a much more elegant solution and doesn't require me running a copy of Windows, so the overhead is better.

About as close to having a Mac client as they'll ever get.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I experience the same problem. I don't think it's the memory leak though, because it happened to me a second very shortly after re-starting the client.

I went to Yew gate, saw a Minax guy, fought him, crashed after ~20 sec, re-started the client and was dead of course. So I was pissed, changed chars, went back there, started to fight him, crashed again after ~20sec, was pissed even more and called it a night.

Very annoying to be in stat with 2 chars just because of client crashes.

J

[JD]

Happens all the time, die to monsters and faction oranges when my client suddenly vanishes without error and i'm looking at the desktop...

win xp sp2
4gb ram
gigabyte mobo, 2.8 ghz processor
pc express 2 1gb nvidia card
directx 9 or 10 (cant remember)

this NEVER used to happen and only started after their "sonoma upgrades". at the same time i began experiencing ping rates up to 10x normal (usually i ping 26-28 and now intermittently i'll just randomly ping for 200+) along with timeouts. again never used to happen prior to sonoma "upgrades"

how so many people can be complaining of similar occurances and they dont even say they are investigating is crazy