• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I'm sure I'm gonna be flamed here, but what the heck.

How does the community feel about insurance? I know it goes against what Siege traditionally is, but as several others have said, you can't go back and it seems to me that doing something is better than doing nothing. It's been said that UO will not stop being an item based game, and I have to say thats pretty accurate (even if I don't like it).

Upsides:

1. It would solve the faction artifact issues. The cost of the item wont matter if it is insured anyway.

2. It will solve the buyback crying.

3. It will help pvm'ers to put together nice suits and not be afraid to go out in them. They may even be able to defend spawns better and provide a bit more pvp fun.

4. And this is just my opinion, I think more players will consider coming here from prodo shards.

Downsides:

1. It may hurt crafters and they will be needed less often if people don't have to replace suits.

Ok, ignoring the "its not what Siege is meant to be comments", what other positive/negatives am I not thinking of?

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh sorry, was this somewhere else already?

I haven't been around lately.

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, not your fault.

I posted something that most feel will solve siege's problems, but some people either didn't read it, or forgot about it, then continue to make threads about how to fix siege.

I'll link ya to it, h/o

(Let me know what you think)

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I have seen someone suggest the same thing before. And I totally agree with it. I have no issues with them lowering silver as long as they increase non-faction drops at the same time.

I certainly like the fix for the rank problem. I'm a rank 9 on a prodo shard right now and it was hard as heck to get there. It should be the same way here.

So let me modify this question. If the Dev's are unwilling to lower the silver price, would insurance be an option as opposed to no changes at all?

I think I know one arguement against, and that would be you don't get to loot much - but that doesn't seem to bother the pvp'ers on prodo shards, which I have to say, are quite active.

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me say this too. I'm active right now on a prodo shard. I don't have the time to constantly restock and resupply. The only reason I log into Siege right now is because I have good friends here. I would play Siege more if I didn't have to spend so much time restocking each time I die.

Plus, I can equip better and therefore give people a much better challenge to kill me.

I know I'm only one person, but I wonder if many others have quit or never come to Siege for that very reason.

If I didn't have a one year old and two jobs, maybe I could spend time resupplying. But with my schedule, I prefer to log into my characters that are already set to fight or hunt. Call me a trammy if you must, but I gotta do what works for me.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense i play prodo as well I like insurance their but.... Isn't this was Siege is no insurance and skills be a bit harder... money lil harder to obtain etc...

Im not dissing the idea but if insurance came here whats the differnce from us being a prodo shard besides no trammel.

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense i play prodo as well I like insurance their but.... Isn't this was Siege is no insurance and skills be a bit harder... money lil harder to obtain etc...

Im not dissing the idea but if insurance came here whats the differnce from us being a prodo shard besides no trammel.
Yeah, I figure that will be the number one arguement. And its a valid one.

I guess my answer would be:
1. Skill gain is different.
2. No advanced tokens.
3. No transfer of characters.
4. Can't sell to NPCs or buy skill from them.
5. No safe zones for hunting (banks are safe but no hunting there). Unlike on Prodo shards where 90% of the Abyss is safe.
6. A bit less land mass.
7. Way more stable economy.

To me, 1,2,and 5 are what make this a "veteran shard". Insurance would not be needed if the game wasnt so item dependant. But the way I look at it, Siege is dying and I would rather have insurance then no shard.

B

Black magick

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the post, but I think instead of cursed arties dropping in doom it needs to be elsewhere imo; perhaps as a blanket drop in ilshenar. (I know that won't happen, but it's a nice thought) I also think that they should increase regular artifact drop chance. This would result in increased activity in both doom and ilsh.
/agreed

As I said, my post is based on the idea that those changes simply are not going to happen and this is maybe an easy fix?

F

Førsaken

I'm pretty anti-insurance. Looting is half the fun.

Now, if **** wasn't outrageously hard to obtain, buy backs wouldn't be a problem. You either buy it back or you don't.

p.s. No one is really crying about buy backs currently. In fact, we're having tons of fights and fun. Less forum posting, more in game playing.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Full loot can be a wonderful thing.

You need fluidity in the economy though and Siege doesn't have that. You can spend forever in Doom and never get the item you went down there for. You can't get any ToTs anymore and trying to get the peerless ingredients together for crafting one pendant of the magi per say... is so much of an investment it's not worth it.

The set up works on shards with insurance because once a player finally gets that doom artifact or pendant of magi, that player doesn't need to go back. But Siege players do!

Fix how hard all items are obtained and we get back to just playing and having fun. Add insurance and you kill more than just thieves.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Comically, smacks Vortex*

Back in 2004, I came here cuz there WAS NO INSURANCE !

Course back then, I had gm + tailors on Chesapeake when insurance first came out and folks were even insuring the original QZ Boots ... the insurance cost more than the stupid GM+ made boots. It seemed the death nail for tailors adding insurance.

Course I made a carpenter HERE. :) What with things being so item based toss in imbuing, tons of elfy and now SA ingredients, chances are unless one has a big guild to get the stuff or has a pvm chr. they not gonna be tailoring suits...hense ITEM BASED UO for suits just made me hang it up and make TABLES ! :)

I do fathom it though, while I would hate to see insurance land on Siege too,
I pretty much quit being a legendary tailor on Miranda, long ago, too many elfy and gargy combos of ingredients to have to go buy or to go hunt and to fetch, too much %%%% to get decent suits, too costly for some to make or buy, too big a loss for the newer and poorer to keep re equipping decent suits to just to try to compete.......bleh !

Obviously changes or fixes, easier to get ingredients, less fails at top skills to make it all, changes of some sorts are needed greatly or this game esp. on Siege is gonna DIE ! *goes off to make carpentry*

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fix how hard all items are obtained and we get back to just playing and having fun. Add insurance and you kill more than just thieves.[/unquote]

AMEN !

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Full loot can be a wonderful thing.

You need fluidity in the economy though and Siege doesn't have that. You can spend forever in Doom and never get the item you went down there for. You can't get any ToTs anymore and trying to get the peerless ingredients together for crafting one pendant of the magi per say... is so much of an investment it's not worth it.

The set up works on shards with insurance because once a player finally gets that doom artifact or pendant of magi, that player doesn't need to go back. But Siege players do!

Fix how hard all items are obtained and we get back to just playing and having fun. Add insurance and you kill more than just thieves.

When I as soloing doom I did 40 plus runs before I got my first arty and it was a gay arcane shield. 20 runs later I got a ring of vile. About 20 hours of work and zero reward as those ratios suck balls. Something needs to be done about the arty drop rate.

R

RedDaTeef

Ok, I'm sure I'm gonna be flamed here, but what the heck.

How does the community feel about insurance? I know it goes against what Siege traditionally is, but as several others have said, you can't go back and it seems to me that doing something is better than doing nothing. It's been said that UO will not stop being an item based game, and I have to say thats pretty accurate (even if I don't like it).

Upsides:

1. It would solve the faction artifact issues. The cost of the item wont matter if it is insured anyway.

2. It will solve the buyback crying.

3. It will help pvm'ers to put together nice suits and not be afraid to go out in them. They may even be able to defend spawns better and provide a bit more pvp fun.

4. And this is just my opinion, I think more players will consider coming here from prodo shards.

Downsides:

1. It may hurt crafters and they will be needed less often if people don't have to replace suits.

Ok, ignoring the "its not what Siege is meant to be comments", what other positive/negatives am I not thinking of?
Uh? Go back to Tram if you want insurance?

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats pretty much what I figured the consensus would be.

With the exception of Red, thank you all for your input. Proof that we can have an adult conversation without the flaming.

I agree with you all, fixing the drops would be awesome. I just fear the Dev's are gonna claim "too much work" and do nothing at all.

*shrugs*

Unless my play time changes or they make those fixes, I'm afraid I will be on a prodo shard for a while. Best wishes to you all but my family comes first and I won't sacrifice my family time farming.

The Cheapsuit

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We already have faction insurance and having a hard time getting rid of that, don't want another kind. Sorry.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We already have faction insurance and having a hard time getting rid of that, don't want another kind. Sorry.
Cheapsuit I don't need faction items to make a good suit... I know this is going to be hard for you to swallow because it's the truth... You was never good, and never will be.

If they did remove faction items the good players would still equip the same way with max DCI, LMC, MR, etc...

This is all that would happen faction items are removed... Cheapsuit attempts to pvp and realizes that he can still only kill crafters...

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, all you gotta do is say it and they all show up!

Anyone else wanna come troll me because they are still sour about past infractions?

Get over it people, besides, I already stepped down as Mod, Petra just hasn't seen it yet.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Anyone else wanna come troll me because they are still sour about past infractions?

Get over it people, besides, I already stepped down as Mod, Petra just hasn't seen it yet.
:sad2:

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe, you should know about crying, my inbox is full of your crys...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Settle down fellows.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Dangit! You're the only mod I DON'T clash with! lol :eyes:

Wth's up with that?!:lol:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
She is a handful V... Yeah, We have clashed. *smiles*

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
****..I just had a long ass post that didnt post for some reason.

To paraphrase I say yes to insurance on Siege. Yes I came to Siege cause the danger element of no insurance. Yes it was a thrill that I still enjoy now when I go out and spawn ect ect

That being said..Siege needs people playing. Would insurance encourage more shown templates, more fights and perhaps even encourage those who are not hard core pvpers to fight back...hell yes.

Where in a perfect world insurance would not be an option for Siege...perhaps in the Siege world of faction armor arguments, stealth templates and artifact drops an insurance rate of 5 times production could lower the drama of faction artifacts and get people logging in more.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My gut reaction is to say HELL no to insurance. I'm afraid it would be devastating to crafters. As much as I suck at the pee vee pee, I prefer full loot. I do, however, realize that something has to give. I'll have to sleep on it for a while.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean... why not just play a fel tram shard? Everything good about siege would be ruined by this. Crafters would be relegated to once a month characters, pvp would have no loot, good players wouldn't have the advantage of a good suit because everyone can suit up to the max, the sense of danger would be pretty much completely gone...

Insurance is the worst addition that UO has ever seen. I would quit in a second if they implemented insurance on siege. And theres very very few things I would make that statement about.

So, ah... I vote no to throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That being said..Siege needs people playing. Would insurance encourage more shown templates, more fights and perhaps even encourage those who are not hard core pvpers to fight back...hell yes.
If siege is no longer siege then whats the point of getting players on it? It would be no different than prodo fel. Cept skill go up slower. Why bother?

The Cheapsuit

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cheapsuit I don't need faction items to make a good suit... I know this is going to be hard for you to swallow because it's the truth... You was never good, and never will be.

If they did remove faction items the good players would still equip the same way with max DCI, LMC, MR, etc...

This is all that would happen faction items are removed... Cheapsuit attempts to pvp and realizes that he can still only kill crafters...
Boy stop, I was pvping when you were still playing rainbow six and rogue spear. You are nothing but a item based player, those come and go. You would never have survived in the real UO era.

V

Vaelix

Boy stop, I was pvping when you were still playing rainbow six and rogue spear. You are nothing but a item based player, those come and go. You would never have survived in the real UO era.
Oh back in the Day with 2 Hit Combos with a Haly mage were the Norm and the Overall Quality of PvP was "Slow"?

Those Days?

Or Maybe the Days when *You* Ran a Double Axe then just Did.. Double Strike Pain Spike instant kills.. Are those the Skillfull days you are talking about?

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uh? Go back to Tram if you want insurance?
Uh? Just because players don't mind insurance doesn't mean they don't mind things like Trammel where you cannot kill other players.

Reds can't go to malas or tokuno or ilshenar or much of ter mur on any other shard.

If siege is no longer siege then whats the point of getting players on it? It would be no different than prodo fel. Cept skill go up slower. Why bother?
There's no trammel on Siege.

I don't want insurance either, but I don't want the crappy loot and crafter ingredient drops (on both the monsters AND players I kill), expensive faction items, everybody and their mother but me running stealth crap we got now... so yeah, I'll settle too.

Anything to get more people out and about playing on Siege instead of worrying and crying about pixels. That's all people like cheapsuit seem to do is cry about pixels. Maybe if these super-bad players had better access to gear, they'd be more apt to go out and just play even if it means they'll die.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

NEWS FLASH: You were terrible then too.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Insurance is the production shard rule I hate more than any other. The day insurance comes to Siege is the day I quit for good.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know whether there's any connection to insurance or not, but I stopped bothering with vendors on Europa ages ago. Everything I stocked for the benefit of players was cleaned out and taken to Luna to re-sell as soon as I finished loading the vendor. My choice was working flat out to try to keep the vendor stocked, leaving no time to play any other char or leaving the vendors standing empty 23½ hours out of every 24. I decided to stop spending all my time putting gold in someone else's pocket.
Siege has the only healthy economy in the game. I'd hate to see that balance undermined.

Status
Not open for further replies.