About to lose my cool!

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
L

Lunaticus

Okay, I've done all the searching I can think to do in the hopes of rectifying my patching issues for the 2D client. I've deleted the patches in my folder, rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted again. . . all to no avail. Seriously, am I really that dumb? Can somebody please help me figure out why I can't patch the classic client??

This is what I get:

Error during session
Your client may not be the most recent version.
You may be able to play the game with your current client.
Check http://www.uo.com/ for help on resolving patching issues.
Click OK to play the game or Cancel to abort.

If I attempt to continue with logging in, I just get hung up on verifying account. :(

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
Actually i just tried to run it and mine wont run either I have to go grocery shopping but will see what I can figure out when i get back

L

Lunaticus

Unfortunately, I'm running Vista (bleh), and no, it didn't appear to go through a full patch. Prior to me uninstalling, I was getting hung up on this most recent patch. Now, it appears that I'm getting hung up on the patch prior:

Starting patch session...
Transferring patch information
Downloading patch uosa_win32_7-0-7-3.rtp( 229298715 bytes )
Downloading patch uosa_win32_7-0-7-3.pat( 13 bytes )
Applying patch patch\uosa_win32_7-0-7-3.rtp
Error applying patch
Error during session
Your client may not be the most recent version.
You may be able to play the game with your current client.
Check http://www.uo.com/ for help on resolving patching issues.
Click OK to play the game or Cancel to abort.

K

Kiminality

Stock suggestion: Have you tried running the patcher as administrator?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
there has to be a error in the patch I just checked my folder deleted the files and tried again normally the files are gone after a succesfull patch and mine are back in there so i would say the patch is borked

C

Cal_Mythic

Thanks for letting us know you're on Vista ... Let me pass this on to one of the engineering crew and see what's up.

Please don't lose your cool ... especially if you've been subjected to gamma radiation.

- c

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
Thanks for letting us know you're on Vista ... Let me pass this on to one of the engineering crew and see what's up.

Please don't lose your cool ... especially if you've been subjected to gamma radiation.

- c
cal i am on windows 7 and same thing

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
disk space or permissions are the things that come to mind....

Edited: That Cal.. wears a lot of hats these days...

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 24, 2005
Scotland / Europa
there has to be a error in the patch I just checked my folder deleted the files and tried again normally the files are gone after a succesfull patch and mine are back in there so i would say the patch is borked
I just patched fine with Windows 7.

The error copy message above isn't for the latest patch though, The latest one is much smaller.

K

Kiminality

I just patched fine using Win7 x64
I have UO installed directly off the root (c:\Ultima Online\CC\) to avoid the permissions issues (it's really annoying to download a big patch, and have it fail to apply it because of permissions, and have to download the whole thing again).

Aside from being outside of the protected directories, the only real difference I can think of was that I ran UO without UOA.

L

Lunaticus

- c
Mucho mas thanks!!

B

Beer_Cayse

I'm antique - XP/SP3 ... just tried the patch and opening CC. No problem, EC is fine as well. As Cal has mentioned and you all seem to have doped out, this may be something on Vista or 7 systems.

Good luck!

B

Beer_Cayse

Lemme see ... Stetson, baseball cap, top hat, fedora ... what else? <cocks head>

Y

Yalp

I am having same issue, windows 7, uoassist, although I am able to log in. I just found my aquarium fish all dead.. and yesterday they were fine. :sad3:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
Have you tried running uopatch.exe (as opposed to client.exe or UOA)? Sometimes that works for me.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
cleared the patch folder ran the patcher as admin and still no luck running windows home premium

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 23, 2010
Washington
I had this problem a few months ago during one of the patches, there was a thread of people with the same exact problem as well, but someone found a way around it! I'll see if i can go back and find that thread

J

Javin

i had this problem trying to install on vista numerous times...

I think it has alot to do with what base install youre using. I downloaded 3-4 diff versions from fileplanet because i didnt want to install from my SE disk, and they all failed badly, got the exact same error msg as you are...

try downloading the ML client from fileplanet, thats what worked for me for vista.

PS, iver never had a prob with the patches on xp, which is on my home pc. the issues i had installing on vista are on my moms laptop, since my internet is down at home atm...

hope this helps

~J

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
Had that problem a lot of my desktop (which I have since stopped using) and I'm pretty sure it was a hardware issue for me. I was always having trouble unpacking big files.

My laptop is running win7, and patches like a charm.

I wish I could offer some help, I eventually just gave up.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 13, 2002
Green Mt State - Vt
Any time in the last 6 mos I tried to Dl from UO.com site, has been 4 diff times ( http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/uo/ ) UO would never run. Always received an error message (on both XP, XP Pro & Vista) so I just went & used my old 9th Anni or Samurai Empire CD's. They always had no problem in patching & running. While the ea ones always received an error.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
I think the problem for me may be that I had not patched for the last couple of times!
I use the enhanced client and only keep 2d installed as a fallback and to help people that are having a problem with it lol now I seem to be one of the ones with the problem :-/

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 12, 2008
They are pretty much the same OS :)
Vista was the Beta for 7

*ducks*
Yeah, you would think if Microsoft had a heart they would have gave a discount to Vista owners.

I spent money to get that POS. lol

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 12, 2008
Try these steps:

Turn off firewall.
Turn off antivirus.
Make sure you are running as an administrator.
Delete everything in patch folder.
Restart computer.
Reinstall UO.
Take off any client mods.

Hmmm....I think that covers about everything I've ever read on this subject.

The above is in no specific order BTW.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Okay, I've done all the searching I can think to do in the hopes of rectifying my patching issues for the 2D client. I've deleted the patches in my folder, rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted again. . . all to no avail.
Can I ask where you are reinstalling from - old physical copies of the disks, a previous download, or the latest client download?

Edit - There's possibly a chance you are running up against File/registry virtualization ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387

"Scenario 3: You upgrade an application and then experience unexpected program behavior
After you upgrade an application, you receive an error message that
resembles the following:

"Error. Please upgrade your application"

Additionally, the application does not work as expected. The application appears to be using incorrect or pre-upgrade data."

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Dec 17, 2006
Chesapeake
vboards.stratics.com
They are pretty much the same OS :)
Vista was the Beta for 7

*ducks*
Why are you ducking? Everyone knows the only major difference in windows clients is the looks. (Sometimes they add new features but mostly updates) Windows Vista was the "Look at our great new Aero feature!" And everyone just turned it off because it ate up resources like a mofo. Windows 7? "Like oh my god look at Aero Peek! You can like totally make every window transparent." and "You can Multi-touch us now and we have a new Taskbar look!" Oh and the other big difference is they stop supporting client platforms after awhile so you have to upgrade.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 21, 2008
Try deleting everything from the patch file, rebooting and trying again.

C

Cal_Mythic

Here is the news from the front on this:

I passed this by Mr Teng and in short ...

All of the recommendations on this post were what we'd actually recommend.
That's a terrible way to answer an FAQ I understand, but we don't have any other solution than what players have currently suggested.

Supreem may have a couple other ideas, but for right now I can't offer anything else.

C

Cal_Mythic

Nah. I wore my Eco-Friendly flame-resistant (not flamePROOF) suit today :)

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
What antivirus and Firewall are you using?

I have had no problem patching on 2 netbooks, 1 laptop and 6 desktops. All running windows 7 (all 64 Bit, except for netbooks which are 32 bits)

Also patched on 2 XP machines, didn't have any trouble there either.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
Here is the news from the front on this:

I passed this by Mr Teng and in short ...

All of the recommendations on this post were what we'd actually recommend.
That's a terrible way to answer an FAQ I understand, but we don't have any other solution than what players have currently suggested.

Supreem may have a couple other ideas, but for right now I can't offer anything else.
Actually Cal I located the problem this AM !
If you have recently done a system restore to a previously saved back up this will make the 2d patcher confused!
Solution: restore the system to when uo was working last. clear your patch folder run UO and let it patch !
problems with this is the original problem that caused you to restore to back up will return...
solution: after patching UO then revert it to where you were before

This worked for me
Hope that helps someone it is another option to try

B

Babble

Reinstalling might also help.
I think thee might be even a semi updated download somewhere on the webpages.

Last chance if everything else fails is to get a working copy from a friend and copy that.

C

Cal_Mythic

Actually Cal I located the problem this AM !
If you have recently done a system restore to a previously saved back up this will make the 2d patcher confused!
Solution: restore the system to when uo was working last. clear your patch folder run UO and let it patch !
problems with this is the original problem that caused you to restore to back up will return...
solution: after patching UO then revert it to where you were before

This worked for me
Hope that helps someone it is another option to try
Thank you ... I think Billy is watching this thread as well so thanks for the update.

- c

L

Lunaticus

And yet more problems! I went ahead and did a system restore to before the patch. I figure everything is sure to work this time, but now I'm getting a "cannot open fonts.mul" message, and UO fails to load. Good gravy, I'm on the verge of beating this computer to death with a hammer!! Anybody have this problem, and if so, any suggestions?

L

Lunaticus

And yes, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling before and after the system restores, of which I've done two so far.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 23, 2008
I've patched fine with Vista. Which version did you start with? Did you download the client from the website or patch up from an old CD?

L

Lunaticus

I started with SA (hope that's what you mean by version), and I've had to reinstall via the website. Unfortunately, I've long since gotten rid of my old disks.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
only thing I can think to do now would be to uninstall again then go and make sure there is no folder for it at all and no saved files what so ever then run a registry cleaner to make sure there is nothing there .. then shut down and reboot the computer then completely reinstall from the web site
and dont run using uo assist either
the other thing would be to install in a different directory (I cant remember if you get the option or not)
other than that i dont know what else to do

watchertoo

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Oregon
I have had no recent issues patching the EC or the Classic on Windows 7 64 bit. I run UO Assist in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode as administrator... rt. click UOA icon, compatibility tab. Using 9th anniversary client and the icon for that as well as the .exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Ultima Online 9th Anniversary Collection are set to xp sp3 compatibility with run as admin. You do need to be sure that both UOA and the client start out in the same mode... ie, xp sp3 as admin. If you run the patcher alone try the same....

I run the EC just as it installed (as administrator of course).

Y

Yalp

In order to fix my issue I (win7 64bit op system)

1) deleted the contents of my patch folder
2) Started the CC via administrators
3) Canceled and then restarted via UOA

works ok now..

but still no explanation as to what caused 18 fish to die overnight with this patch w/o any break in my maintenance of the tank.... and yes, I've been running that aquarium continuously for 4 years w/o such a massive failure.