• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Memorial Day

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It’s Memorial Day weekend in the United States - a time to remember those who served in the military and those who continue to do so each day. We’re proud of our veterans and servicemen and women; many of whom are our colleagues, customers, friends and family.

From all of us at Mythic, we thank those who have served.

More...

O

Old Man of UO

*bows head in a moment of prayer, and says thank you to all the servicemen and women, past and present*

G

Gowron

It’s Memorial Day weekend in the United States - a time to remember those who served in the military and those who continue to do so each day. We’re proud of our veterans and servicemen and women; many of whom are our colleagues, customers, friends and family.

More...[/QUOTE

While I'm sure that the noblest intentions were behind this post, I must point out that the nature of it is wrong.

Memorial Day weekend is a time when we recognize the sacrifices made by those who gave their lives in the wars to preserve freedom.

Veterans Day is when we recognize the service of our military past and present.

C

Cal_Mythic

More...
Memorial Day for many is sometimes a pre-event to the 4th of July, or Independence Day. They are two different days. One day is a day of reflection and consideration … the other is more of a celebration.
The day to look back on the sacrifices and loss of men and women dying in the service to one country is Memorial Day.

As many of you may know I am a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. The Air Force Academy is very much like West Point (Army) and Annapolis (Navy), just much younger with some crazy traditions – ours based on the fact we fly jets and move large things faster than the Navy. We do push ups after touch downs at football events, we are asked to eat a 30 minute meal in 4 minutes, and we had morning inspections every Saturday when the average college student would be sleeping off a very hedonistic Friday night.

Perhaps the most important wisdom instilled during the four years of running at altitude, screaming quotes from World War I and World War II generals; and making beds you never sleep on, was the respect for those who gave their lives for our freedom. Freedom to go to movies on the weekend, or the simple joy of traveling home on the holiday and our only concern was the speed limit, not bombs or suddenly disappearing at a roadside stop and never reaching our destination.

Many countries are not so blessed.

Every morning and afternoon we had formation. At this time all cadets are accounted for. If your roommate over-slept or had an exam, if the name was called, your flight commander would simply state “Absent sir.”

No one thinks much of it. It’s just roll call. It happens every day.

It happens every day until one particular weekend during the school year.
All cadets and alumni from 10, 20, and some 30 years gather in a large formation. All cadets are in formal uniform attire. For many minutes after the cadet wing is called to attention there is dead silence until a voice clear and slow rings across the gathering of about five to seven thousand: “Colonel Bob Fielding, Class of 1963” …

Then something strange happens, you wonder why this person is being called and then you hear that someone from his cadet squadron yells out “Absent, sir!”

The voice continues through every war and period from the time the Academy began until present, the names of the fallen officers and their graduating class year echoed by a voice from their respective cadet squadrons, replying “Absent, sir!”

Until … it’s your class year, and one of your classmates … and then you realize that person you saw a movie with, or helped crunch for an exam that many years ago is no longer with you … out of service to his or her country.

They are absent.

So often it’s easy to get caught up in the holiday sales, and the barbecues and whatever else flashes across the TV screen on a weekend like this.
I am asking you for a moment to remember the fallen.
Take care of your families, respect those who are still alive, or returned not quite whole as they protect who we are and what we do. Think about what you take for granted.

Find some time for reverence this Memorial Day … and be safe.
- Calvin

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You, Cal "Uriah" Crowner, have just stepped way up my ladder of respect!

Thank you, for your service, and for reminding all of the ongoing sacrifices of our military peoples.

*salutes*

B

Beer_Cayse

Woohoo! Air Force! I was USAF from '66 to '73. Little Rock AFB played host to several Academy classes when I was there (67-70). Our barracks and 2 others were usually commandeered for this as we had the only units on base with A/C! <grin> Maybe you were one of the Cadets.

Most of my family is Army all the way back to the Revolution. <shrug> I broke tradition and glad I did. I learned a lot as a Medic.

** bows head for our fallen **

To you readers, if you are out and about and see a GI of any branch, take a moment to tell them "Thank you". You'd be surprised how much those 2 words can mean to them.

G

Gowron

Well said, Cal and Beer. However, one thing needs to be said before I get serious.

"GO NAVY!!"

Now to the serious part. As it is Memorial Day Weekend, and we take the time to remember the ultimate sacrifice so many have made, I would like to throw the quote that we should all consider to make their sacrifices noble and glorious. The quote is simply "Earn this."

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you CAL

My husband served the army in Vietnam as a med evac.
He came home not so healthy as he went there, but I got to keep him for almost 20 years before he fell from what got to him there. He loved both the service and the USA, the country he was not born in. HE is my hero, my love forever.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, Cal! Just for you--pictures of Wednesday's AFA graduating class: http://photos.denverpost.com/photogalleries/coloradoimages/#id=album-114603&num=content-2234324.

My husband served in the Marines during the Vietnam War. My dad was a radio operator in the Air Force during the Korean War and in the Navy during World War II. My father-in-law was an Army paratrooper who jumped at Normandy during World War II. One of my nephews recently finished serving several years on submarines in the Navy. THEY are my heroes!

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Memorial Day for many is sometimes a pre-event to the 4th of July, or Independence Day. They are two different days. One day is a day of reflection and consideration … the other is more of a celebration.
The day to look back on the sacrifices and loss of men and women dying in the service to one country is Memorial Day.

As many of you may know I am a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. The Air Force Academy is very much like West Point (Army) and Annapolis (Navy), just much younger with some crazy traditions – ours based on the fact we fly jets and move large things faster than the Navy. We do push ups after touch downs at football events, we are asked to eat a 30 minute meal in 4 minutes, and we had morning inspections every Saturday when the average college student would be sleeping off a very hedonistic Friday night.

Perhaps the most important wisdom instilled during the four years of running at altitude, screaming quotes from World War I and World War II generals; and making beds you never sleep on, was the respect for those who gave their lives for our freedom. Freedom to go to movies on the weekend, or the simple joy of traveling home on the holiday and our only concern was the speed limit, not bombs or suddenly disappearing at a roadside stop and never reaching our destination.

Every morning and afternoon we had formation. At this time all cadets are accounted for. If your roommate over-slept or had an exam, if the name was called, your flight commander would simply state “Absent sir.”

All cadets and alumni from 10, 20, and some 30 years gather in a large formation. All cadets are in formal uniform attire. For many minutes after the cadet wing is called to attention there is dead silence until a voice clear and slow rings across the gathering of about five to seven thousand: “Colonel Bob Fielding, Class of 1963” …

Then something strange happens, you wonder why this person is being called and then you hear that someone from his cadet squadron yells out “Absent, sir!”

The voice continues through every war and period from the time the Academy began until present, the names of the fallen officers and their graduating class year echoed by a voice from their respective cadet squadrons, replying “Absent, sir!”

Until … it’s your class year, and one of your classmates … and then you realize that person you saw a movie with, or helped crunch for an exam that many years ago is no longer with you … out of service to his or her country.

They are absent.

So often it’s easy to get caught up in the holiday sales, and the barbecues and whatever else flashes across the TV screen on a weekend like this.
Take care of your families, respect those who are still alive, or returned not quite whole as they protect who we are and what we do. Think about what you take for granted.

- Calvin
Well said Cal.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well said, Cal and Beer. However, one thing needs to be said before I get serious.

"GO NAVY!!"

Now to the serious part. As it is Memorial Day Weekend, and we take the time to remember the ultimate sacrifice so many have made, I would like to throw the quote that we should all consider to make their sacrifices noble and glorious. The quote is simply "Earn this."
I agree with everything in this post.

Especially the Go Navy portion.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A point of historical clarity for our non-US readers.

Memorial Day dates back to remembrance of those that died in the US Civil War.
(Trivia, one of the reasons why so many people died in the 1889 Johnstown, PA flood was that so many people were in town for the holiday, and the heavy rains helped trap people in town from the flood waters, pre-dam-break, making the streets impassible by the afternoon)

After World War One, it assumed the aspects of the 11 November "Remembrance Day" (or other names), observed in the British Commonwealth and other nations that took part in that war.

In the US, Memorial Day is for honoring those that fell in battle, and later as a result of injuries from those battles (as most others do on 11 November), while the 11 November date is used to honor both living and dead veterans as "Veterans' Day".

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was in the U.S. Coast Guard. I served two tours on the the USCGC Munro 1974-1979. One tour on the Ice breaker USCGC Staten Island 1972-1974. I look back on my service with fond memories.

I have two people that I think of at this time of the year. My Father who was retired Airforce. He severed during WWII in the Pacific, the Korean war and also Vietnam and Douglas Munro who is the only Coastguardsman to have won the Congressional Medal of Honor. The ship I served on was named after him.

I honor all who served by watching war movies and the history channel depicting the historical events of our past wars.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
8 Years Army 83-92 MI, Combat Telecommunications Operator, TS/SCI 1 of 7 in Europe at that time.

From the end of the cold war to the persian gulf war we did our real world mission everyday.

A

adester

Was in the military for 7 years myself and soon going off to training in the National Guard. I have lost friends and some close friends in just about every branch of the military. Just about every guy in my family has been in multiple wars and some still are.
I would like to say my Thank You to all that have died for are country.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a few things I would like to share.

My Dad was stationed at Pearl Harbor (after the bombing) after doing hazardous duty dismanteling mustard bombs. He worked in the HQ and I remembered asking him as a kid if he met Nimitz and Mcarthur. He told me he served under Nimitz as a clerk and that Mcarthur was the biggest A holes he has ever met. That was the only time I have ever heard my Dad cuss.

My uncle Baily served under and drove for General Patton while in Africa.

My Uncle Ralph was the Bombadere of the All American a B17. He turned 90 a few months ago. His story is amazing.

A mid-air collision on February 1, 1943 between a B-17 and a German fighter over the Tunis dock area became the subject of one of the most famous photographs of World War II. An enemy fighter attacking a 97th Bomb Group formation went out of control, probably with a wounded or dead pilot. It crashed into the lead aircraft of the flight, ripped a wing off the Fortress, and caused it to crash. The enemy fighter then continued its crashing descent into the rear of the fuselage of a Fortress named All American, piloted by Lt. Kendrick R. Bragg, of the 414th Bomb Squadron. When it struck, the fighter broke apart, but left some pieces in the B-17. The left horizontal stabilizer of the Fortress and left elevator were completely torn away. The vertical fin and the rudder had been damaged, the fuselage had been cut approximately two-thirds through, the control cables were severed, and the electrical and oxygen systems were damaged. Although the tail swayed in the breeze, one elevator cable still worked, and the aircraft still flew-miraculously! The aircraft was brought in for an emergency landing and when the ambulance pulled alongside, it was waved off for not a single member of the crew had been injured. No one could believe that the aircraft could still fly in such a condition. The Fortress sat placidly until three men climbed aboard through the door in the fuselage, at which time the rear collapsed. The rugged old bird had done its job.

Just Google B17, All American. My brother Sam who is the family Geneologist has more stories. They were shot down more than once prior to this.

T

Trebr Drab

My father served in the army in WWII in the Pacific.
My brother enlisted during Nam, and retired from the Army a few years ago. He was a tank squad leader in Desert Storm.

Thanks to all who served. And a thanks to their spouses who support them.

V

Vercingitorix

Part of the Big Red One, Dreadnoughts, 96-01.

Still working Monday. :lol:

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A point of historical clarity for our non-US readers.

Memorial Day dates back to remembrance of those that died in the US Civil War.
(Trivia, one of the reasons why so many people died in the 1889 Johnstown, PA flood was that so many people were in town for the holiday, and the heavy rains helped trap people in town from the flood waters, pre-dam-break, making the streets impassible by the afternoon)

After World War One, it assumed the aspects of the 11 November "Remembrance Day" (or other names), observed in the British Commonwealth and other nations that took part in that war.

In the US, Memorial Day is for honoring those that fell in battle, and later as a result of injuries from those battles (as most others do on 11 November), while the 11 November date is used to honor both living and dead veterans as "Veterans' Day".
This is for Memorial day in teh United States

Originally, the holiday was known as "Decoration Day." It was started by a Civil War general named Gen. John Logan, who was the Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic. General Logan sought a way to help the country come back together after the horrors and divide of the Civil War.

The holiday was first observed on May 30, 1868, and Gen. Logan chose that date for two very important reasons: First, the day did not mark the anniversary of a Civil War battle, and second "flowers would likely be in bloom all over the United States." Indeed, many took flowers to Arlington National Cemetery, an activity that still occurs every year.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Your post made me cry Cal.

PoV lost two military members this year...both KIA serving their country. One Army, one Marine Corp.

It made me cry, but not because I was upset that you made it...but because I did not.

Often, we all take certain things for granted, especially those of us that are not naturally born to this great nation.

We go to work, we play our games, we raise our children...but we lose sight of something greater...and that is the sacrifice that others have made, so that we could do the things that we do everyday.

I am extremely proud to have known the two fine individuals that were a part of my guild, and I am even more proud to call them both, my friends...and my fellow Americans, because they both fought and died for me and my little girl.

C

Connor_Graham

They are absent.

- Calvin
Nicely said. With that, in honor of my grandfather who I lost last year-

"War, when you are at it, is horrible and dull. It is only when time has passed that you see that its message was divine. I hope it may be long before we are called again to sit at that master's feet. But some teacher of the kind we all need. In this snug, over-safe corner of the world we need it, that we may realize that our comfortable routine is no eternal necessity of things, but merely a little space of calm in the midst of the tempestuous untamed streaming of the world, and in order that we may be ready for danger. We need it in this time of individualist negations, with its literature of French and American humor, revolting at discipline, loving flesh-pots, and denying that anything is worthy of reverence--in order that we may remember all that buffoons forget." - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. 1895 - Former US Supreme Court Justice in his 1965 Memorial Day speech to Harvard University.

E

Evlar

As a former serviceman in the British Royal Air Force (33 Squadron), respect to those of all services and all nations, past and present. I had the pleasure of serving with people of many nationalities during NATO operations.

True citizenship of a nation is shown by service to one's country. In some cases, representatives of other countries fight under the banner of another. For that reason, I'm proud that former Ghurkas have finally been granted the right to citizenship of the United Kingdom. It's been far too long in coming.

So, I salute the service personnel of all nations... past, present and future.

T

Trebr Drab

True citizenship of a nation is shown by service to one's country. In some cases, representatives of other countries fight under the banner of another. For that reason, I'm proud that former Ghurkas have finally been granted the right to citizenship of the United Kingdom. It's been far too long in coming.
That's great. The Ghurka are honorable people, and have served your great country well over all these years.

THE GURKHA
SOLDIER
Bravest of the brave,
most generous of the generous,
never had country
more faithful friends
than you.​

T

Tukaram

Good post Cal. I understand what you are saying and I believe it is something in that feeling that causes an immediate bond between service members and vets. I have instant family everywhere I go.

My father was Army Air Corp, my brother Air Force, and I was Navy. Luckily none of us was killed but my father and I were both permanently disabled. I'm proud to have had the privilege to serve and would do it again with no hesitation.

Remember the sacrifices paid by the fallen and by the loved ones they leave behind.

(btw - Go Navy!)

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

Currently operating as 25U, also have been 11B and 13M. Cob Speicher Iraq, where the dust is so thick in the air today you can't see 500m away.

Thanks for serving Cal and all the others in this thread.

And because we know that deep down all your Air Force guys are green with envy over the Army (or is it the other way around?) I think I'll throw a shout out to your Army Air Corp heritage.

Into the air, Junior Birdmen
Into the air, pilots green!
Into the air, Junior Birdmen,
Climb into that old machine!
And when you hear that Franklin sputterin’
And you get your wings of tin
We will know the Junior Birdmen
Have sent their boxtops in!

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Army 84-04, MOSs 81E-52D-33W, 18 addresses in 20 years is always fun.

As far as the Air Force. After we got sick of them doing their job. Stand Up, Hook up, Shuffle to the Door, GREEN LIGHT..........GO! Thanks for the ride.

AIRBORNE

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
My Grandfather was in World War II. My dad fought in Vietnam. My son was in Iraq. All of them lost friends. All of them came back changed. All of them made sacrifices so others wouldn't have to.

To all of our current men and women serving, thank you. To the families of those who have lost loved ones serving, a special thank you. May we always remember that it's very true, freedom isn't free. Regardless of political alignment, these men and women volunteered to go and serve, and in some cases, die, so we wouldn't have to.

Thank you.

S

Sweeney

While I'm sure that the noblest intentions were behind this post, I must point out that the nature of it is wrong.

Memorial Day weekend is a time when we recognize the sacrifices made by those who gave their lives in the wars to preserve freedom.

Veterans Day is when we recognize the service of our military past and present.
You are correct.. but when has being right stopped anyone from posting blather in support of anything EA posts?

[edit] Next time EA will say July 4th is for freedom all over the globe, and 99% will agree. [/edit]

S

Sweeney

I honor all who served by watching war movies and the history channel depicting the historical events of our past wars.
Just had to poke fun at this.. watching TV doesn't mean **** to those who saw a duty to serve. How many morbidly obese Americans did you just validate?

You need to ask yourself what many vets ask themselves.. "was what I signed up for what I wanted to fight for?"

M

maroite

They are absent.

- Calvin

Very good read Cal, thanks. :thumbup:

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if you're not american, even if you don't agree with their actions, there's nothing wrong with respecting and honoring those lost of any nationality fighting and dying for what they believe in.

It is however sad, that all over the world these memories and feelings fade away, even if reminded.

Sadly now it seems like these days turn more into a frenzy for cheap sales and BBQ picnics.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I look back over my family history, I see soldiers. They've served in all the major Scots regiments in the British army, for years back. Most are listed in our national archives. I'm proud of them.

This is not about whether we think our soldiers are fighting the 'right' war or the 'wrong' war. This is about respecting and honouring them for giving of themselves in defence of whatever country they happen to be fighting for. There are wars I don't agree with, but that doesn't take away from the deep respect I have for our soldiers, whether 'our' is US or British.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well said CAl, MY oldest son just left this am (was home on leave ) for Afghanistan this especially meant a lot to see! Thank you for your service!!

S

Splup

Hehe, no matter what country it seems, ppl tell how their Brigade, their Branch of service and their Barracks is the toughest ;) Yeah, same thing here in Finland.

A year ago my father moved to family farm and we were there cleaning things up and putting stuff together. The house had been pretty much abandoned for the last 15 years. We found this hidden drawer where was loot from Soviets from both Winter War and Continuation War (During WWII Soviet Union vs Finland). Also there was The Mannerheim Cross of Liberty and diploma signet by Mannerheim, who was Marshal here those times.

As a side notice, as U.S and Soviet Union were on same side at WW2, there was looted medic-kit from soviets which had markings Made in U.S. I bet after that there hasnt been anything made in U.S at Soviet army.

P

Phineas le Monge

More...
Memorial Day is to remember those who died while serving. What you describe is Veteran's Day Nov 11. Thats when you honor those who served and are serving still...

C'mon guys you can get this stuff right...

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

More...
Memorial Day is to remember those who died while serving. What you describe is Veteran's Day Nov 11. Thats when you honor those who served and are serving still...

Remember the cliched term mission creep? Well, this is Holiday creep. :)

A

AesSedai

More...
Memorial Day is to remember those who died while [or eventually died, due to] serving. What you describe is Veteran's Day Nov 11. Thats when you honor those who served and are serving still...

- Technically speaking? Aye.
In reality?
- It is indeed a day to honor and respect everyone from every land that has served. I had this exact same conversation turn up today; and my advice was: show some respect where respect is due, youngin' ;) (& thankfulness too).

Note: The most direct service I have given my country is some volunteer community service. This is simply about respect, imo.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Extremely well said Cal.

I actually am enlisting in the Army National Guard in a few months, and after having family members serve in different branches of the armed forces... Memorial Day really shows how much people have sacrificed.

"ego servo , ut alius teneo pacis" - "I serve, so that others may know peace."

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some posts were removed
Some undeserving posts were removed because of quotes etc, for that I apologise.

Please keep political opinions out and think only of those we are honoring, not the whys and hows that created the need to do so.