[UO Herald] May 2010 - Producer's Letter

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 30, 2009
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I’m often at a loss on how to begin updates …[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]So how about we make what we called in the Air Force a “sandwich…” I won’t say what KIND of sandwich we called it … but we press basically good information between the not so good stuff.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]First,[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Publish 66 is out the door, and by the time you read this, we should have a few changes that will address the issues with pitchers, bards not being interrupted by Pally’s, the Bard book in the paperdoll, and a few other things you’ve helped us find. We appreciate players actually getting on test center and taking a look before we go to Origin. (Yes not Origins!) [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]J[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Also, we hope you are enjoying the attention to the Enhanced Client, as well as delivering on the Memorial Engraving Tool. We thought getting this out before Memorial Day in the U.S. would be appropriate.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]We got a lot of work done this publish, however we didn’t have all the time we needed to get out all we planned … so we are planning an additional mini-66 before July. Most of it will be a large client update. Derek and Grimm should have an idea on the size of the change in the next couple weeks.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The patch will have some additional art updates, as well as some juicy additions to the Live story arc we could not fit into this publish. Given that, this is a great time to discuss the fiction gaps and our intent.[/FONT]

More...

E

eekamouse

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]We have collected data on 3rd party programs running in UO. At this time we are filtering the data to make certain we are not getting any false positives. Also, please know UO Assist and Mapper are not in jeopardy. We are going after very specific scripts. We have discovered some interesting trends, and will continue to monitor for some time. But … you should know how we will press forward with finding offenders.

All of the information is collected server side. The server checks for scripts running on the offending player. Please know that all the information is collected and verified server-side, this insures the CSR has confirmed data than using his or her “gut” to judge a violation. The server will check for any scripts in violation that may be running on the offending player. With that information, our Customer Support staff will be able to effectively and efficiently take action to protect the integrity of UO and keep it a fair playing experience for all.
[/FONT]
Sounds measured and fair and not over-reactionary.

AKA, You won't be banned for increasing your screen resolution.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Not done with the letter yet, and frankly I kinda like it so far, but one odd negative thing has to be pointed out before I finish it:

UO Assist and Mapper are not in jeopardy
Please tell me you mean Cartographer...I've never heard of "Mapper," we used to have AutoMap....But really we don't anymore.

-Galen's player

C

Cal_Mythic

Not done with the letter yet, and frankly I kinda like it so far, but one odd negative thing has to be pointed out before I finish it:

Please tell me you mean Cartographer...I've never heard of "Mapper," we used to have AutoMap....But really we don't anymore.

-Galen's player
Yes. ;)

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
We have collected data on 3rd party programs running in UO. At this time we are filtering the data to make certain we are not getting any false positives . . . We are going after very specific scripts. We have discovered some interesting trends, and will continue to monitor for some time.
Crossing my fingers.

I urge strongly that you send out warning E-Mails long before banning, or even suspending, anyone but the obvious bots.

Honest players have been very frustrated for a very long time, and many have resorted to measures they wouldn't normally take. (No, I'm not one of those.)

So....Take that into account.

One of the worst things cheaters have done over the years is to create an inappropriate degree of equality, wherein frequent scripters are somehow seen as on the same moral plane as people who manage to resurrect the long-officially-defunct UO Assist functionality that lets you repeat macros over and over. Or, for that matter, long-time dupers on the same moral plane as those who get over-zealous with testing a dupe with the intent of reporting it.

I can make an extremely convincing case that these groups are in fact not on an equal moral plane. If you fall into the trap of taking them to be equal, you will do significant harm to your game.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
long-officially-defunct UO Assist functionality that lets you repeat macros over and over.
Just to clarify, I'm not saying this functionality is still in UO Assist; it's a separate program now.

But I read long, long ago that this functionality was in UO Assist, and removing it was part of the deal for making Assist legal.

-Galen's player

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 15, 2005

-Galen's player
Yes. ;)
Finally official word :bdh:

oops wrong smile :lie:

oh noes, missed again :danceb:

Y

Yalp

"There is a new UO team member. Sylvana Lily, she was born Monday at 4:41 pm. She was 9 pounds 10 ounces and 21 inches long. We’re going to have her write some fiction next week, so if all of Britannia is covered in Gerber baby pink with duck wallpaper, you’ll know why."

CONGRATULATIONS AND BLESSINGS! :)

E

Evlar

Come on over to the Classic Shard thread Cal...

We'll put the kettle on and you'll be a lot safer there for the moment ;)

(Hard hat optional)

E

eekamouse

Not to complain.

But.... no mention of

1) New faction changes
2) Classic shard discussion

Looking forward to hearing more about those as well as the new EC enhancements mentioned as well as the Live Event.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

Most of it will be a large client update. Derek and Grimm should have an idea on the size of the change in the next couple weeks.

More EC Patchurday goodness I hope... hopefully some resolution upgrades as well (ok, that may be pushing it it)

There is a new UO team member. Sylvana Lily, she was born Monday at 4:41 pm. She was 9 pounds 10 ounces and 21 inches long. We’re going to have her write some fiction next week, so if all of Britannia is covered in Gerber baby pink with duck wallpaper, you’ll know why.

Grats!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
Not to complain.

But.... no mention of

1) New faction changes
2) Classic shard discussion
Well, he did cover everything he said he would. But I would love to hear more about both of the classic shard at least. But something tells me they wont go far on that until the 3rd party detection is going.

C

canary

More EC Patchurday goodness I hope... hopefully some resolution upgrades as well (ok, that may be pushing it it)
Given the severe infrequency of EC updates anymore, I think this phrase has run its course. It worked better when, you know, they were actually updating it almost weekly like a year or two ago.

Anyhow...

That said, I think the letter was very direct and to the point. I do hope that the long awaited 'male paperdoll' is included in the next update, seeing as it has been almost half a year since it was brought up it was to be redesigned. CatHat turned around the new female one in just a few weeks way back when, so there really is no excuse why this has taken so long.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 27, 2007
Nameless Rune, Yew, Great Lakes
In the interim, ask other players who have been around for a while what will get you in trouble

Uhm.. No? If you hadn't noticed, its OLD players that are the ones having the issues here.. NOT newbies. We have NO idea what the rules are regarding this, its YOUR job to tell us... And to tell us what the GMs/CSRs are basing their ever-changing interpretation of the "Rules" on.

These rules should not be hidden. Transparency Cal, transparency.

The goza mat thing is new. Explain the rules better - and see to it that the GMs aren't making up their own as they go along cutting and pasting us bogus help.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
May 21, 2008
Colorado
What about UOAM? I still use it for fel champ spawns.

I guess I should just upgrade to Cartographer now that it is confirmed legal.

Thanks for the update, Cal.

-OBSIDIAN-

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 3, 2008
I still don't get how they can tell who's scripting and if people script attended they surely can't prove a thing.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
I still don't get how they can tell who's scripting and if people script attended they surely can't prove a thing.
Presumably they are going after the programs that run the scripts, not scripts themselves, since it's a program detection tool that they are working on.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 27, 2007
Presumably they are going after the programs that run the scripts, not scripts themselves, since it's a program detection tool that they are working on.

Without scanning our computers, a server side routine wouldn't tend to work well. It could see repetative actions taken with clockwork precision, indicating a script at work...and thats about it.

Without something like punk buster and active scanning, scripters will prevail.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
Without scanning our computers, a server side routine wouldn't tend to work well. It could see repetative actions taken with clockwork precision, indicating a script at work...and thats about it.

Without something like punk buster and active scanning, scripters will prevail.
Well from how they are talking about it there is a way for them to catch programs, hence them saying UOA and Cartographer will be ok and they are working to prevent false positives.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2004
Honest players have been very frustrated for a very long time, and many have resorted to measures they wouldn't normally take. (No, I'm not one of those.)

So....Take that into account.

Well, personally, I have been begging for something to be done about rampant cheating in Ultima Online for more years I can remember and yet, I have not scripted, not even when I was at a loss, versus other players, in many playing aspects of the game.

I saw my liver getting larger due to my growing upsetting and rage, but I did not "give in" to join scripting or hacking.

This said, I am not saying that any and all who scripted or hacked should be banned; nonetheless, those who really did it quite relaxedly should, one way or the other, see some action taken about it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2004

Well, I doubt it is anything that detects clockwork precision as in regards that this would ""indicate a script at work" since a more sophisticated script can factor in some random delay in the execution of whatever repetitive action thus fooling any detection system if it looked at merely "clockwork precision" repetitive actions.

I would guess that a good and more accurate detection system would look at things other than clockwork precision to avoind being fooled by more sofisticated scripts.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 27, 2007
Well from how they are talking about it there is a way for them to catch programs, hence them saying UOA and Cartographer will be ok and they are working to prevent false positives.
Right.. Yet Cal stated it was server side... Without taking a look at our active tasks, or having something scanning for the signature of a program (which would require an active component in the clients on our machine) all they can look at is the data going back and forth between our PC and the servers.

So.. Since both mapping programs only sniff the data stream (and don't actively change it) they wouldn't be detectable. UOA does effect the data stream, and should be detectable. So unless the scripting programs actively tweak packets sent to the servers, all the servers could really look for is repetitive actions with a set timing.

Without something client side to actively confirm the program is running, these measures will be easily defeated. They should have gone with Punk Buster like they planned on years ago..

Although, if they have come up with a magic way to detect programs running on another computer over the internet without an active component (on the other PC) then I think many governments would love to speak to them…

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 27, 2007
Well, I doubt it is anything that detects clockwork precision as in regards that this would ""indicate a script at work" since a more sophisticated script can factor in some random delay in the execution of whatever repetitive action thus fooling any detection system if it looked at merely "clockwork precision" repetitive actions.

I would guess that a good and more accurate detection system would look at things other than clockwork precision to avoind being fooled by more sofisticated scripts.

That is exactly why I'm saying that there has to be an active client-side component for this to be anything besides smoke and mirrors.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2004

My same impression.

Somehow, It is my guess, they may have come up with some ingenuous detection system in the client or on the server side, who knows, which can tell apart players scripting/hacking from players not scripting/hacking other than through mere clockwork precision repetitive actions being performed when playing the game.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
Cal did say they were going after very specific scripts and they have already been collecting data. So from the sound of it it will be successful, at least to an extent. So whatever they are doing it must have some positive results from server-side. Guess we will just have to wait and see how it works.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2003
Eastern USA
In the interim, ask other players who have been around for a while what will get you in trouble

Uhm.. No? If you hadn't noticed, its OLD players that are the ones having the issues here.. NOT newbies. We have NO idea what the rules are regarding this, its YOUR job to tell us... And to tell us what the GMs/CSRs are basing their ever-changing interpretation of the "Rules" on.

These rules should not be hidden. Transparency Cal, transparency.

The goza mat thing is new. Explain the rules better - and see to it that the GMs aren't making up their own as they go along cutting and pasting us bogus help.
While many might see your post as a flame or rant it's the truth. Since no solid rules have been laid out it will be up to the Warhammer GM's to decide what actions to take against us. This will become like every other GM issue and come down to the right set of words and the right GM will get someone who wants to cause you ill their way.

what is illegal and what is not legal: the rule of thumb is … if it impedes the freedom of other players to experience the game, it’s bad. Also, trapping animals inside your home is illegal.
I don't expect Cal to know how this is going to play out. I can paint a picture however.

All I have to do is find someone's house with a goza structure that covers the ground and say I lost my body there and couldn't recover it because I couldn't see it properly. I can say I was killed by a spell casting monster because I couldn't see it. This could easily be the case even if the house was out in the middle of nowhere. I think Cal and others are going to assume the only time this is going to be an issue is when someone's house sign, steps or house itself is blocked by goza's. Instead it will turn into a griefer's plaything just like the ones currently finding houses with doors that are public and stashing pets in them to call GM's.

In order to save everyone time and effort the rule should state that GM's simply delete the goza structures and, pay close attention, not anything else!
This way the player account is not in jeopardy because someone is bored or doesn't like them. This would mean that repeat offenders would be subject to the current rule of thumb and that the CS people would be responsible to keep track of them. Do I see this approach happening? No, but it would be a better solution that the vague one that is currently being created.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 17, 2009
Also, we hope you are enjoying the attention to the Enhanced Client, as well as delivering on the Memorial Engraving Tool. We thought getting this out before Memorial Day in the U.S. would be appropriate.
good job with this.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 1, 2008
Cal,

As i have thought for some time, your "anti-cheat" measure seems to target scripting, and the repetition that scripting throws out there.

What about speed hacking? i know that scripting is a big issue in the tram environment, but speed hacking is a much bigger issue in the pvp world.

It doesn't appear that your anti-cheat measure addresses that. Any plans to implement this sooner than later? I know several people who have said they would be back in the game in a heart beat if speedhacking disappeared.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 2, 2006
I have seen more different people post requesting some love for Siege in the last 2 days than for a Classic shard in the last month.

The Classic campaign is just mainly astroturfing spam by 3 very vocal posters, one of which is a markey dragon wannabee who made a living off UO. The same person was the first to post in Cal's midweek thread that if they ban all cheaters UO will shut down (and its not the first time he has posted a similar statement). Connect the dots...

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Stonehaven
siegeperilous.net
Cal - Siege needs to hear from ya! We need you to show us some love before its too late! We know you're busy with lots of things, but we have to be squeezed in there somewhere. If not a publish dedicated to Siege, then at least squeeze in a few things over several publishes, but make no mistake... Siege won't survive much longer without help from the devs. :(

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
Seriously. Cal. Just turn on some of the more popular events that are in your little black book.

Is the code for black rock training still there?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
That or just say the word and we will be silent... We will go away.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 28, 2008
We would love to hear something from you in the Classic Shard thread Cal, throw a dog a bone will ya? even if's a bone with the words "not a chance" engraved onto it.

:bowdown:

smip

Slightly Crazed
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 1, 2001

-OBSIDIAN-
I am a UOAM user also. So is the Cartographer legal to use. If so where do I get it from? I do not see it in the uo apps section.

N

NASA

There is this little thing called a search field found in every forum try using that and I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 23, 2007
Skara Brae
www.raptor85.com
aye, a statement regarding siege is more than needed and very welcome!
Agreed, I haven't been on siege long but we have so much that's broken, overlooked (not ever tested on the siege ruleset), and just plain contrary to the idea of siege, but having been on the main shards before it's obvious that just a LITTLE attention would go a long way here.

It's sad seeing so many houses falling :(

smip

Slightly Crazed
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 1, 2001
There is this little thing called a search field found in every forum try using that and I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.
Ummm... Maybe I'm too dense to use that search option..... the question is, is this new carto program legal to use? the "where can I get it" statement was ment as a pun. It was plastered a while back asking for beta users...

A

AesSedai

- Congrats Cal!

(Aye's also interested in the next layers of cheat prevention and EC ehancements; but alas, I guess that is for another day ;) Meanwhile, you two try to get some sleep and enjoy every moment)

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
While the scripting is an important issue Cal..it's the speeder programs that should have the highest priority. Failure to ban/remove those who use the 2 most common speeder programs will mean an epic failure on this entire system.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
Yes. ;)
Right. Can a Stratics Moderator please find and sticky the UO Cartographer thread now? Thank you! :p

-OBSIDIAN-
I might have an old version of Cartographer, but UOAM is nicer for some things still. It looks a little better, it only stays on top when it's windowless which I liked, and remains solid for old Fel, of course, Cart has new Fel, and UOAM doesn't unless you mod it, hehe.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
Sounds measured and fair and not over-reactionary.

AKA, You won't be banned for increasing your screen resolution.
As long as Cal doesn't ban me for sticking a penny in my F key while I watch the screen, sip water, and blare Alice in Chains. :)

Pressing a button to do 10 commands is a joke for leveling up and UOA takes too long to map :( haha but it is pretty fun to insert 50 pauses :).

S

Splup

While the scripting is an important issue Cal..it's the speeder programs that should have the highest priority. Failure to ban/remove those who use the 2 most common speeder programs will mean an epic failure on this entire system.
AGREED

Confirmation on that speeder programs are also on check list is needed here.!

Edit: or that something else is being done to speedhacking.

L

lucksi

Well, it´s nice to know that they are looking for specific scripts and not simply the program that shall not be named. Sooo, are we still ok with using scripts to train? And only the mining/gathering scripts will be banned? How about looting scripts?

I´d love to be able to legally run a looting script.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2004
I saw my liver getting larger due to my growing upsetting and rage
popps please don't drink yourself to death over UO man.

Well, let's say I did not enjoy, just to mention one, getting my Library collectibles or sewing and fletching kits "by hand", doing the quests over and over and over and over, and some more over again, when other players could just get them, and quite many more than me, while they were sleeping or attending school, or working or whatever, because of scripting............

Also, I did not enjoy seeing several of the friends I used to play with, little by little, leave the game because they had enough of playing a game where others would script or hack so easily and so much.

But the examples could be quite more.

It was not funny nor pleasant to have to live with all that for many, way too many years because no light was to be seen at the end of the tunnel, at least for me.

Sometimes I would see patches bringing some changes to the game, which I assume required work and time to be designed, coded and tested for quality, which, at least to my judgement, were far, but really far less important than getting rid of scripting and hacking in Ultima Online. Yet, those "less important" changes, IMHO, kept coming, but changes that permanently addressed scripting and hacking in the game, still remained on the waiting list.....