• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic Shard #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
can't some mod pull out the nonsensical replies ?
Are you kidding me? There are a handful of us. There are a LOT of posters.

Who is to define "nonsensical"? You? Me? Just be happy this thread is still open.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
If anyone could do it Kelmo could !! *hehehe* *runs away before Kelmo smacks me again*

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
If anyone could do it Kelmo could !! *hehehe* *runs away before Kelmo smacks me again*
*stares* You see kelmo wielding a set of bolos...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
You classic shard folk need to lighten up a bit anyway... I don't see this happening any time soon.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you kidding me? There are a handful of us. There are a LOT of posters.

Who is to define "nonsensical"? You? Me? Just be happy this thread is still open.

Are you saying it's in danger of being closed?

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You classic shard folk need to lighten up a bit anyway... I don't see this happening any time soon.
I think both sides need to lighten up. (Bit of repetition to follow)

Classic Shard Supporters: Give it up. It's not going to happen.

Don't bother arguing with those who don't want one, because no amount of discussion is going to change their mind.

As I said in another thread, I don't think they were serious about it when they brought it up. I think it was more a marketing ploy, and it worked - You had people on other forums talking about UO again, even some coming here who had never posted before, and in some cases, may have helped stave off canceling their accounts for a short time.

If they were ever to post anything about a Classic Shard again with more substance other than "We're not going to do it, and here's why", I'd take it all back. I'm no betting man, but I would put money on that never happening.

I'd advise, as I did before, to find an "alternative". You'll be happy you did, despite whatever shortcomings you may encounter.

Classic Shard Opponents: Give it up. It's not going to happen.

Don't bother arguing with those who want one, because no amount of discussion is going to change their mind.

UO is too far down the rabbit hole. Your way of life is safe, and was never in any real danger. Even if they were serious about implementing one, there isn't enough resources or interest in the UO IP on behalf of EA to even consider doing something that might even remotely impact their current cash cow. It likely makes just enough to not be shut down, with a bare minimum of future development to keep item mongers coming back.

Enjoy the UO world you have - It's the only one there was ever going to be.

Stratics Mods and Community at Large:

Don't worry - Eventually your way of life will return to normal as more and more supporters of a Classic Shard come to realize it was all a pipe dream. The people who came back to post will eventually go away, and discussions about a classic shard or the classic era mechanics will return to their normal, tolerable levels.

The discussions will once again return to ideas that will never be implemented in the current framework hoping for changes that will never come, player support issues,complaints of bugs, this feature or that, the latest items, templates and events, and just plain random posts, peppered with discussions about loss of community and debates on subscription and player activity.

Just as it has always been. This was all just a temporary distraction. It will pass.

E

Evlar

Damn... that means we'll all have to dive onto Siege and run around wearing valorite plate whilst waving halberds ;)

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do a lot of people say a classic shard will not happen, and state that as a fact? If you have been talking to someone in EA and you know inside information, have the guts to come clean on it. If you're just talking to hear yourself talk. Do it in real life not here. If you want to state it as your opinion they okay, you don't need proof... But all to many people here are stating it as a solid fact of life.

If I thought breast cancer walks were stupid, so I showed up to those walks and told the people there how dumb they are for believing in a cure that will never happen, and all they are doing is wasting their time. How many people would think I was an a**hole? Almost everyone I bet.

So why is it any different when people show up into our classic server threads and start telling us we are wasting our time, it's not going to happen.

Either stratics has an overwhelming amount of a**holes, or for some reason us "classic shard people" are being looked at like we are second class UO players.

... IMHO

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do a lot of people say a classic shard will not happen, and state that as a fact? If you have been talking to someone in EA and you know inside information, have the guts to come clean on it. If you're just talking to hear yourself talk. Do it in real life not here. If you want to state it as your opinion they okay, you don't need proof... But all to many people here are stating it as a solid fact of life.
It was opinion, just as yours is. I am free to do it here so long as the mods permit it, just as you are. And incidentally, THIS is why Kelmo thinks supporters need to "lighten up".

However, it is a fact that since the hint of a classic shard was made some months ago, there hasn't been another word. No comments by devs, no mention on the official site. Notta. Zip. Zero.

If I thought breast cancer walks were stupid, so I showed up to those walks and told the people there how dumb they are for believing in a cure that will never happen, and all they are doing is wasting their time. How many people would think I was an *******? Almost everyone I bet.
I think comparing a game that has no real value to society with changes that can be made that they haven't given any indication they are even attempting to do, to a real life disease that impacts millions of lives every day that people are actually TRYING to cure, already makes you a bit of a jerk.

Chose more tasteful examples.

So why is it any different when people show up into our classic server threads and start telling us we are wasting our time, it's not going to happen.
Hope you're not directing this at me, because in case you missed it, I'm a Classic Shard supporter, through and through.

As I said, if they (EA) ever gave anything with more substance on the issue other than to say it isn't happening, I'd take it all back.

There comes a point where you just have to accept the reality of the moment.

As of this moment, there is no Classic shard, no word from EA that it's still even being considered, and nothing more than pointless mental masturbation in threads like this by people who aren't going to actually do anything. Mods are getting fed up with the subject, both sides are tired and repeatedly beating their drums to the exact same notes, and EA isn't saying jack.

But if it's fun for you, hey - Do your thing.

E

Evlar

I often think that when we mention "classic shards" anywhere, certain forum members look at us as if we've got two heads...

a bit like one of these...

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hope you're not directing this at me, because in case you missed it, I'm a Classic Shard supporter, through and through.

I'm heading out, but to just reply to that really fast, it was not directed at you, more of a pent up frustration statement. I also know it does not compare to the breast cancer issue in importance. But I like to take basic actions that are identical and compare them to more heavyhanded situations so close minded people might have a chance of seeing it in a different light.

I'll respond to the rest later

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But I like to take basic actions that are identical and compare them to more heavyhanded situations so close minded people might have a chance of seeing it in a different light.
A march or marathon in front of the EA building for a Classic shard?

I'd sign up.

Don't know if I could MAKE it, but I'd definitely support one.

Can an EA member give us a number of how many people need to show up at your doorstep before you take the request seriously? We'd bring money!

The 1000 100's Classic Shard March. Get 1000 people to show up with 100 dollars... That'd be awesome.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Classic Shard Supporters: Give it up. It's not going to happen.
Why do a lot of people say a classic shard will not happen, and state that as a fact?
Well barring the ridiculous, not to mention tasteless, comparison between the cause of raising money for breast cancer research and treatment, and the classic shard cause, I think a classic shard is going to happen. I believe this is the third time I have said this. It is just my opinion, and it isn't based on any inside information, just a parsing of what has been said by Cal specifically on the topic.

Sometime before the end of the world in December of 2012 we will see a classic shard. I'd bet something if I had anything of value I was willing to lose that way, but unfortunately, I don't. I also don't trust myself to remember the details of a bet for longer than a month or two. Ok, ok, I have a Melissa's Cloak I'd be willing to lose that way. It isn't much, but it is something. Anybody have something similar to offer and a willingness to take me up on the bet? :)

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well barring the ridiculous, not to mention tasteless, comparison between the cause of raising money for breast cancer research and treatment, and the classic shard cause, I think a classic shard is going to happen. I believe this is the third time I have said this. It is just my opinion, and it isn't based on any inside information, just a parsing of what has been said by Cal specifically on the topic.

Sometime before the end of the world in December of 2012 we will see a classic shard. I'd bet something if I had anything of value I was willing to lose that way, but unfortunately, I don't. I also don't trust myself to remember the details of a bet for longer than a month or two. Ok, ok, I have a Melissa's Cloak I'd be willing to lose that way. It isn't much, but it is something. Anybody have something similar to offer and a willingness to take me up on the bet? :)

don't take the breast cancer thing seriously (the statement). but I'm willing to put up a billion gold if anyone wants to bet me. If a classic shard happens you owe it to me, if it doesn't I'll pay you. we can use a broker or however you want to lock it up.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
don't take the breast cancer thing seriously (the statement). but I'm willing to put up a billion gold if anyone wants to bet me. If a classic shard happens you owe it to me, if it doesn't I'll pay you. we can use a broker or however you want to lock it up.
Well considering I think that a classic shard is going to happen, I'd be stupid to take that bet. And then there is the small problem of me not having access to anything remotely close to that kind of gold... :)

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well considering I think that a classic shard is going to happen, I'd be stupid to take that bet. And then there is the small problem of me not having access to anything remotely close to that kind of gold... :)

only reason I'm willing to bet that is because if a classic shard doesn't happen, I will most likely move on ;)

L

Llamfia

People who do not support a classic shard or those who say its not going to happen any time soon. just leave and do not post. thanks

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

Hmm...In this day and age so called second class citizens are entitled to so much more than the majority.

I DEMAND MY CLASSIC SHARD! You are infringing on my god given right to get whatever I want from the powers that be (EA!)

And for those who don't understand sarcasm, that is what I'm doing, using sarcasm to poke fun of and the entitlement culture of both UO and the world in general.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And for those who don't understand sarcasm, that is what I'm doing, using sarcasm to poke fun of and the entitlement culture of both UO and the world in general.

A. it's sad cause you pretty much need to state that disclaimer anymore

B. hahahah, I :heart: it

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you guys aware of that the devs would have to not only develop a classic shard, but also a new client?

B

Babble

Why a new client?
They would need to adapt the package stream.

Though a new client would be interesting.
They have not started one this year yet ....

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They would need a new client because so much is different now, they couldn't just reuse the existing client, they would have to rework it to remove much of the changes made over the last 10 years.

B

BuzZzZ

If individual players can make a decent classic shard then I am certain a professional company that makes it's living of creating computer games can. Not even considering the fact that this game is 13 years old and the technology should be pretty damn simple in comparison.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

They would need a new client because so much is different now, they couldn't just reuse the existing client, they would have to rework it to remove much of the changes made over the last 10 years.
This is untrue. The only reason they would have to do anything significant to the client, at least the Classic Client, would be if they were using old server code.

Even then, there are PLENTY of CD copies of T2A and UO:R around. I personally volunteer to mail them one of mine if necessary rolleyes:

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

This is untrue. The only reason they would have to do anything significant to the client, at least the Classic Client, would be if they were using old server code.

Even then, there are PLENTY of CD copies of T2A and UO:R around. I personally volunteer to mail them one of mine if necessary rolleyes:
Like I've stated before, I'm far from an IT professional, but isn't the server code vastly different from the client code? I don't think the server code would have been included with a CD of that game. That being said, I do remember the little UO Demo that came with the T2A disk, which might have some form of server code on it who knows. To bad you could never make a crystal sword in the game to slay a dragon in one hit back then, though that little offline demo made it seem like that's the kind of thing you'd be doing.

F

fantasy10k

Stopped reading on the forum again, checking sometimes though to see any news about the classic shard.
Think its rather silly of the guys who dont want a classic shard to post here. You just want to troll on this forum obviously.
Cant see the point of argueing about it either, The devs can just take a look on the poll and see how many that wants a classic shard. Then its also only like 5% of the people who are registered here?

B

Bullseye_of_Atl

Time to do a little dissecting...

This is a load of crock. The world of Ultima Online has never been even remotely "believable", nor has it's world milieu or it's cultural or technological schema ever been even remotely consistent.

I'll just list off some of the first things I noticed in 1997 when I first played Ultima Online. I'm a history buff, and I love consistency in a game world, so I notice these details.

Here are some examples of what I am talking about:

- Viking longswords and Japanese katanas. They were from two entirely different cultures, different eras, and the technologies supporting their creation were also poles apart.

- And while we're on the subject of swords. How long did it take, and still does, to make a viking sword or a katana in UO? Maybe five minutes if you include mining and smelting the ore? And you can sell them or buy them for under 100gp?

I wasn't able to quickly find exact information on how long it took to make them, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that historically it might have taken a month, or longer, to make a single viking sword or katana, and a single viking longsword was worth the price of a dozen milking cows, which represented a small fortune. Similarly a quality katana was also worth a fortune.

No matter how you scale it, manufacture times and the prices of weapons in the early days of UO weren't even remotely believable. By contrast with the expense of ingredients and the time it takes to farm them, the effort involved in making a high end imbued weapon in UO these days, is much more "believable".

And this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to "classic" UO.

And on the subject of bright colours in UO, I posted this thread some time ago. In the context of that article and some of the discussion around a "classic" shard, some of you might find it interesting, or inflammatory I suppose... :)

And still more steaming horse crap. UO has always had "balance" issues. At no point in it's history was there not a fotm template or tactic that ruled the roost. I was there in the old days. I remember tank mages, and the infamous "hally whack". Claiming that "classic" UO was some paragon of gaming balance and bliss, is flat out nonsense.

And I won't even get into the use of the word "quality" and the whole subject of server crashes, lag, reverts, bugs, dupes, and the list goes on. The UO of today has a far higher standard of "quality" than UO did in it's early years, no matter how you look at it. Unless of course your memory is fatally flawed, as this writer's appears to be.

I could continue on and rip that entire article to shreds if I was in the mood. For the most part it is sentimental hogwash.

I'm not against a classic shard. I think it would do very well, at least at first. But let's keep the fantasy in the game, and not let it extend to our memories of what UO really was, or what it is today. The game has never been perfect, and never will be. There was something special about UO back then, but that had less to do with the game itself than it did with the fact that it was one of the first of it's kind.

UO was special, but let's not build it up to be something it never was, and let's not use those false memories to **** all over the excellent work that has been done on the game since then. I realize that the supporters of a classic shard don't agree with this, but in my opinion UO today is a much more interesting game than it was back then, with far more depth, and far more room for creative game play.
"- Viking longswords and Japanese katanas. They were from two entirely different cultures, different eras, and the technologies supporting their creation were also poles apart"

http://www.desruisseaux.com/aikido/english/iaido-swordhistory.htm
This site here claims Japanese swords go back to the 2nd century BC......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword

Wikipedia goes on to state one of the oldest swords to date, from the Turkish region goes back to 3000 BC

Just a nothe that, even though they were on the other side of the globe, empires existed at the same time.....and as Ghengis Khan proved, travel and conquer went hand in hand, as did Alexander the great.

I agree about the length of time it took to create a sword though, especially in the Bronze age.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Like I've stated before, I'm far from an IT professional, but isn't the server code vastly different from the client code? I don't think the server code would have been included with a CD of that game.
Sorry, I was referring to the Client, not the server.

LC was saying they would have to create an entirely new client. What I am saying is that the only reason they would have to create, or modify, the Classic Client is if they use old server code. If they are working backward using existing code, then the current client(s) should run fine with what they create.

What I was saying is that old versions of the client are available on the CDs, not the server code.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stopped reading on the forum again, checking sometimes though to see any news about the classic shard.
Think its rather silly of the guys who dont want a classic shard to post here. You just want to troll on this forum obviously.
Cant see the point of argueing about it either, The devs can just take a look on the poll and see how many that wants a classic shard. Then its also only like 5% of the people who are registered here?

:thumbup1:

K

Keep Hope Alive

What the...!??!

Why is this thread on page 2? Are we losing our enthusiasm for a classic shard, people?

* Bumps thread back to page 1 of Uhall *

B

BuzZzZ

What's left to talk about? The majority of us have came up with a good rule guideline that the majority are happy with and lots has already been said. The people who want the classic shard have came to a kind of agreement, the thread is only here now for the anti-classid shard crew to post against.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The developer feed is only developer feed ? The thread was supposedly making people internal "software" crash or something ?

It must still be locked a few pages back...

A

Antonio Cataneo

well i just think this thread is less populated because apartfrom talking, we can't do nothing till some developer tell us anything on this matter

E

Evlar

well i just think this thread is less populated because apartfrom talking, we can't do nothing till some developer tell us anything on this matter
Well, we know what we're after. The devs know what we're after. The Stratics forum population (god love 'em ;) ) knows what we're after.

Until something "official" is released, all it's going to be is "discussion" about the possibilities, debates over the finer points, reminiscing over what we enjoyed in the past.

Unless you believe that there's some ulterior motive, that being allowed to discuss classic shards is just some underhand way to attract interest in UO, then I believe that a classic option is inevitable.

If it isn't going to happen, personally, I think EA/Mythic might just have prodded Stratics to stifle the debate that's gone on. Think about it...

EA/Mythic are using Stratics as their "voice". This is where they're communicating with their player base. If they had no intention of making a classic option, I don't think the threads here would have lasted as long as they have.

If it's all horse poop, then it will be an embarrassment not only for Stratics, but EA/Mythic, because of the wider coverage the "idea" has generated.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A WINDMILL !!!!

ATTACK !!!!

Any of you remember how fun it was to create a thief to attempt and steal all server birth rares on the server ?

I know I had the biggest collection on atlantic, I was probably one of the first players to notice some deco items were flagged as stealable while others were static !

I died oh so many times hahaha, most of those were in town.

B

BuzZzZ

I play a well known player run classic shard and have been recently speaking to the owner it. He tells me that he would happily disband the shard should OSI/EA make an official classic one.

The shard has over 800+ people on it regularly.

If these guys have any sence they would investigate these shards and speak to the owners... the owners that made these shards because they craved old school UO so much.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

A WINDMILL !!!!

ATTACK !!!!

Any of you remember how fun it was to create a thief to attempt and steal all server birth rares on the server ?

I know I had the biggest collection on atlantic, I was probably one of the first players to notice some deco items were flagged as stealable while others were static !

I died oh so many times hahaha, most of those were in town.

Hmm....I wonder how many of the readers of this thread caught or even understood your Quixotic reference. Cervantes ftw!

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyone else notice that Tom Chilton was lead designer on Ultima Online: Age of Shadows and went on to be a lead designer for Blizzard Entertainment? Also doing lead work for WoWs first expansion?

Kinda gives you a clue to the fact UO has been heading in the wrong direction for a long time. UO not only is a WoW clone, but made that way by someone who went on to do leading work for WoW.

I feel the only way UO can "compete" with the biggest MMO is to simply return to its roots and keep leading the way in sandbox games.

B

BuzZzZ

As I said before, there is now a big market for a niche sandbox game, a type of game UO used to be. Every MMO now is a WoW clone or a Sandbox failure. It would be perfect time for UO to go back to it's roots when the need for an old style UO game has never been bigger.

All those people that have followed DarkFall and MO are players looking that that old style UO game or atleasta sandbox game in the style UO was.

E

Evlar

I think half the problem on these forums, is the fear that something like we're after, just might become more popular that what's currently on offer.

Personally, if it breathes life, interest and valuable income into the game, I think everyone wins.

Let's look at it this way. There is interest in a classic option. Many may come to look at it when it goes live. Some will stay, some will leave, some may actually look at the production servers and think "I like this better". Subscriptions get a boost, more money in the kitty for the developers to work with hopefully.

P

popeto

WELL FRIENDS
theres nothing left to talk about
now watch as the developers either won't say anything or in 2-3 months time tell the community that there will never be a classic shard.

its happened before, it will happen again.
I wish this wasn't the truth, I would LOVE a t2a shard.
But EA does not care

PERIOD

B

BuzZzZ

Well their game can die and they can loose out on money then can't it.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how cheap... I made 10 millions and barely played 2-3 months...

@ popeto :

EA wouldn't care ?

B

BuzZzZ

i bet 10 000 000 gold that in 5 years this thread of dreaming, is still a thread of dreaming :)

10 million gold ;)
I take that bet, 10m gold on the classic server to whoever is right about the classic server being made or not.

E

Evlar

i bet 10 000 000 gold that in 5 years this thread of dreaming, is still a thread of dreaming :)

10 million gold ;)
I take that bet, 10m gold on the classic server to whoever is right about the classic server being made or not.
10 million gold on a classic shard, would make you the shard equivalent of...

... who is now richer than Bill Gates.

So... I'll take that bet too. Though I wouldn't want to take the gold off you personally. I would rather you stood at Britain Forge and hand it out to passers by ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.