• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic Shard #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have just spent 5 days reading through the whole of this classic shard thread, it took a lot of effort! I just want to thank Morgana LeFay (PoV) for fighting hard for our cause and the others for keeping this going. The mods just sticky the other thread that was locked and put it in the new Felucia forum for an archive or something.

As I said in a previous post I played at the start ot T2a and quit when AOS was created. I played in two phases. Pre tram I pvm'd and mained a theif, after tram was made myself and my entire theif guild quit as we just lost our entire playstyle. I returned not long after and mained a pvp'er until AOS. Well you know my history now so...

First of all why have people put in the effort and expence of making these pre UOR free shards that are so popular? Because they loved the game so much. Same reason why people played. If OSI/EA/Mythic? made this classic shard then I am sure most of these free shard owners won't even bother to compete and won't be that upset about their loss of players. They would more than likley disband the shard to replay the game they loved.

There is now a buzz around the old hyps community about the potential of this free shard, I heard through an old thread who also heard through an old friend. I have since contacted a bunch of people on my old ICQ list who are all excited about the prospect. Anyway I don't want to bore you much more but....

The Second Age era w/ necessary bug and glitch fixes
-Britannia and the Lost Lands
-Stat loss and long term murder counts for reds (stat loss on resurrection)
-T2A Item system (Vanq/Ruin magic weapons, Invul/hardening magic armor, magic wands staves, jewelery, boots, capes, etc.)
-T2A skill and stat caps (700.0 skill point pool, 225 stat point pool)
-T2A magic system
-Stat and skill controls (IE ability to set skills/stats to raise, lower and lock)
-Chaos and Order Guilds with proper fixes (lord/lady requisites removed)
-Guild Stones
-more Stackable items (IE Potions)
-**Crafting Upgrades (See below)
-Server Birth Rares

**Crafting upgrades are as follows:

-Tailors will be able to make bone armor but NOT repair it otherwise it's as good as plate but less dex loss. New colours added from Pub 16 but NOT the neon crap.

-Bow crafters will be able to repair bows

-Carpenters will be able to craft all staff weapons as well as clubs and repair them along with wooden shields

-potential addition of Ilshenar later on. PvM'ers need content, maybe keep the ish champ spawns with added loot, rare drops, deco house items ect. Fel rules of course.

-Skills: Meditation has to be there
- I am not bothered about precasting either way.
-Dex affects healing? Don't mind but helped dexers.
-Unable to heal through posion for mages and bandages, cure poison then heal.
-Tamers control slots - cool either way, I'd prefer no control slots but hard as hell to tame dragons and control them. NO bonding
- Macing damage: Bring back the old school damage macing weps did where a warhammer would destory a shield in a few hits.
- Show charges. DP'd and magic weps should show charges left

-Stealing: I mained a theif but stealing did get out of control so possible to create a resurection timer based on a "steal count" timer. eg. 1 steal/kill wait 2 mins (normal grey timer), 2 steals in an hour wait 5 mins ect ect. Again the old way is fine, just trying to curb things.

NO INSURANCE!!

Factions- don't care either way but an idea could be to make the faction you join dependant on where your house is located or co-own. Maybe +25% discount for purchsing of npc's for leading faction, -10% for loosing faction? Just incentives to make it interesting.
Then again if house spots are full your going to have issues. T2A/Ish houses anyone? I always had a house deed ready to place in T2A should I find a loop hole.

-Custom houses - don't care, if so just make it impossible to have the turret houses I hear about.
-No private houses but lockable
-Texas rules
- 1 house per account, I don't see why this shard should be any different. I see it being populated by mostly returning players anyway

- NO shard transfering

- Most of all give me back my 4 Wyverns on Wyvern Island.

There are people arguing about classic/custom shard. If we can get a classic shard then why not make it perfect?

Either way - T2a, no tram, stat loss and no unsrance and I am there.
Thank you for your input, The whole idea of a classic shard is to bring back old players like you and a place for us oldschoolers to have fun. Have your friends post on their ideas of a "classic shard", The more former Players who post their input the better idea EA/Mythic can get to make the shard perfect to get the players back.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In regards to stat loss.

I would be ok with it, but I would hope that stat and skill gain was set to a manageable level.

Some skills can be raised in a day while others take weeks upon weeks. They should all raise at the same level. Not that this would be the case, but I remember when there was a bug with Eval Int where you just couldn't gain over 96 points. I remember macroing it for months and months with no gain at all.

On subject of macroing; it used to be legal when T2A was introduced, so would that mean macroing would be legal again? I personally think is should be allowed, but that's a different argument altogether.

B

BuzZzZ

I will do don't worry.

I don't think people understand how great this game once was. 10 years later I still speak to old players and tell storys of past adventures. Usualy I was on the bad side of a story but was always funny.

I remember as a new player loosing all my gear to a pk, I had saved up for months to buy only for someone 10 mins later to buy me a small house due to wanting to help me out.
With the crafting system back then there was many people there to help you out for free.

Most people didn't pvp, pk's made people stick together and help each other out. It built friendships. It was a rush being in the middle of Ice Isle getting chased by reds and trying to survive. It was a bigger rush going with a large guild to Bucs Den, a pk hot spot to go and destory the pk's and camp the bank.

I dream. And for those that remember...

http://looterslair.com/

M

Mustapha Mond

This might be a stupid question, but is this for real? Is there really a classic shard in development, or is this just wishful thinking?

Oh, and I fully support the idea, by the way. A classic shard pre T2A or w/ T2A as long as its Pre-AOS I'm in for the long haul. I would leave the production shards all together for this thing!

B

BuzZzZ

Basically Mustapha there is another thread thats now been locked after 24 pages now on page 4 of this forum, I spent near a week reading it.

News is that OSI/EA/Mystic whoever runs UO had a meeting of some sorts to discuss the possibility of a classic shard. They have said it's something that they are looking into the possibility of.

Cal who is a UO dev I think (not 100%) has posted in the classic thread that is now locked. His posts were pretty negative to be honest and has raised doubts about the possibility. The talk of a classic shard is possibly just another ploy to drum up interest in UO from old leavers despite having no honest inetentions.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The Devs have a few other fish to fry at the moment...big ones. They are working on reducing the cheating that goes on in UO, and that benefits everyone, especially players on a Classic Shard.

If something isn't done to curtail scripters and speeders before it launches, a Classic Shard would have some major problems right away. First of all, everyone would have to speed hack in order to even survive. Secondly, the economy would be broken pretty quickly.

As much as I want a Classic Shard yesterday, I am perfectly willing to wait so that it can be done right.

In the meantime, I am having loads of fun messing around with this emulator. I am learning so much about the game that I never knew before.

I wonder if OSI would grant me permission to put up a free shard for the purpose of play testing a Classic Shard and reporting back to them the results??

Probably not...but never hurts to ask! :)

D

Darknat

The Devs have a few other fish to fry at the moment...big ones. They are working on reducing the cheating that goes on in UO, and that benefits everyone, especially players on a Classic Shard.

If something isn't done to curtail scripters and speeders before it launches, a Classic Shard would have some major problems right away. First of all, everyone would have to speed hack in order to even survive. Secondly, the economy would be broken pretty quickly.

As much as I want a Classic Shard yesterday, I am perfectly willing to wait so that it can be done right.

In the meantime, I am having loads of fun messing around with this emulator. I am learning so much about the game that I never knew before.

I wonder if OSI would grant me permission to put up a free shard for the purpose of play testing a Classic Shard and reporting back to them the results??

There are already some "classic" shards out there using that same emulator you are talking about.

I think I tried one or two of those, and didn't get even close to what I remember UO was...

On the other hand, some of those free shards have a big population, but again that doesn't mean they will come back. Mostly because they are used to play for free.

Finally, a Classic Shard will just fail unless they do some changes. A world full of PKs doing whatever they want is condemned to end like all the other shards... getting split into trammel/felucca again.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It would certainly answer the questions of how many would try it, how many would seem to be willing to stay, and how the various features it had were going over with people. You would be pretty much doing their research for them and making an offical Classic Shard much simpler to set up when they finally do it.

You know what I want to see done in it. ;)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

There are already some "classic" shards out there using that same emulator you are talking about.

I think I tried one or two of those, and didn't get even close to what I remember UO was...

On the other hand, some of those free shards have a big population, but again that doesn't mean they will come back. Mostly because they are used to play for free.

Finally, a Classic Shard will just fail unless they do some changes. A world full of PKs doing whatever they want is condemned to end like all the other shards... getting split into trammel/felucca again.
Well, that's just it...there are other "Classic Shards" out there...but none of them are sanctioned by EA/Mythic...and none of them are set up as a test environment for Mythic.

I guess what I am offering to do here is to finance the test shard myself, and administrated it while reporting things back to EA...as in this worked, this did not, here are some statistics that explain why this failed or succeeded, etc.

I tend to agree that changes need to be made, but at the same time, we are both speculating at this point because there is currently no way to prove or disprove that.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The classic shard IS just wishful thinking. As stated before, I would try it, but, I'd get bored with it.

Just like going back in time, you can only do so much before you miss your cell phone, ipod, berry, whatever you use.

More than likely, it'd be a place of low population, at any given time.

E

Evlar

Morgana - If you're going to get something up and running to run some tests, drop me a PM. I'll be happy to help look at things from a crafter/gatherer perspective.

Would be nice if Cal were to sanction such an exploratory venture, but I doubt they will. Still, giving feedback regarding certain aspects of game mechanics, shouldn't do any harm. At the very least, it will provide useful and practical information, should they be serious about an official classic server.

You never know, a couple of the devs might pop in for a look. We can but hope eh!?!

M

Malimus

Well this will be my first post in a while. HAIL ALL! :)

After getting rid my accounts a little over a month ago and quiting EA run servers. I got bored and went to the free classic T2A server. I totally love this classic era of UO. There are PK's and alot but i have only been pk'd maybe 4 times in the last month. Many active Anti-PKs here too. People all over the place. Lots of good people and a fare share of bad ones too. But that you cant escape anywhere. Oh and customer service is great as well as good tournaments and events all the time.

I have managed to save up enough to buy and place a L shape house, have about 3 characters complete and i am having the UO time of my life again. My dexxer and bard are great for PvM and today i finish my PvP mage. So now i can get in on the action of hunting pk's again and take a little revenge on those that hunted me hahaha.

Since i started playing this server i have kept a close eye on population. Pretty much a constant population of about 400-500 but gets up to around 650-700+ in the evenings and weekends. ALL TYPES OF PLAYERS thrive here. Fisherman, crafters, treasure hunters, pvm, pvp, ect... You just gotta use your head and your fine.

Now i post this because i wanted to prove a point. This type of server would be a great success if done right like this free one im on now. EA MAKE THIS CLASSIC SERVER! I and many others WILL COME BACK! I would drop all the work i just did on a free server to come and pay to play yours if you could reproduce for the most part this basic classic T2A server.

That being said! Keep up the good work all! Fight the Good fight!

Oh and Morgana. PoV is here... thats your old guild isnt it? :)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Oh and Morgana. PoV is here... thats your old guild isnt it? :)
Well, it might be. I am still the guildmistress of PoV (Protectors of Virtue) on Atlantic. I have been since Nov. 1997. The guild has only ever had 3 guildmasters/guildmistresses...myself, CouDrac, and Jade. I was the original, CouDrac took over when I was banned for a short time (long story) and Jade took over when I quit after being hacked for about a year and a half.

To my knowledge PoV has existed on other shards, like Great Lakes and Lake Superior and Chessapeak. In every case I know about, it was started by former PoV Atlantic members that changed shards.

On Atlantic, at best estimate, we were once 150-200 members strong between 1998 and 2000. So it would not surprise me if former members have carried on the name on free shards.

Who is the guildmaster there? I probably know them. (it better not be Dalamar!) :)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the purpose of going back to something that failed?
And this, in a nutshell, sums up the whole sad argument about a "classic" shard. Because it was that model of gameplay that failed. And why?

I NEVER understood why these people were so spineless and afraid that they would not take up arms against those that were oppressing them, yet I dutifully protected them...and it cost me. It cost me friends, it cost me in game treasures, and it ultimately got me targeted for being hacked.
So maybe in a world where the internet allows people to be complete jerks no matter how hard you try and do what you think is the right thing, then perhaps MMOs need a seriously strong set of "trammels" upon human behaviour so they don't get away with all that they'd like to make you suffer?

You argue your side well Morgana, but you seem to have an incredible lack of understanding of basic human nature... even when you experience it directly, as above. Nor any understanding of how you will appear in other people's eyes when you state what you think, or try and guess what their motivations are that you yourself admit you don't understand; Spineless? Really? You think you can use that word about a game people play as a hobby?

Let me tell you what's a hard thing to face; I volunteer with the elderly. Went to see one of them in hospital Friday, whilst the lady in the bed next to her wept as she didn't have any visitors at all. I tried to involve her in our conversation, but she was apparently also very, very deaf. In the last two weeks, I've been the last person to see two of them alive for, after setting them up digital boxs, they died in the night before they could use it (one in their sleep, one of a broken neck from falling down stairs). Before that, I worked helplines for children of alcoholics; or at least did the paperwork because most of the children were being sexually abused by a male in the family so they didn't want to talk to more men on the phone...

So I come home, switch on Ultima Online to try and relax. Forget the rest of the day and do something creative in a little fantasy world where Good actually can be clearly defined and isn't a false charade or a gordian knot to try and untangle. And some of the other players are the lonely themselves, maybe not elderly but equally disconnected and who want to find community in Britannia; some will be those abused children, some will be just people trying to get away from school, or work, or a million countless stresses in life and have fun in what ever way they define fun as being for a few hours at night...

And then some ******* comes along and tries to ruin it as best they can. Maybe even tries to hack their account, for when just stalking them, killing them, and tea bagging their corpse in game doesn't quench the rage in their hearts. And do you really, really not see how calling people "spineless" for not wanting to spend their free time giving the sociopaths and obsessive the attention they thrive on in a game is just going to be completely insulting to them in real life? Why would I, after an incredibly hard day, want to come home and be told I was weak by someone who claimed to be a friend, just so I can continue to make myself a victim for idiots that will never, ever stop? Perhaps the reason you lost friends is because you don't understand what matters and what does not... and a game Morgana certainly does not. I love the Ultima series as much as anyone... but I'll save my strength for the things that really, truly it should be spent on.

I hope you get your "classic" shard though, even though not one of you can agree with the other on what it should be; No True Scotsman and all of that. I really hope you do, because just like gay marriage, your happiness isn't detrimental to mine at all, and in an ideal world we'd all find our true loves. But equally like gay marriage, people aren't going to take one up just because the offer is there either... and we aren't going to be on your "classic" shard either, because we know what we like, and it just wasn't that, sorry.

And you know... when I took my first break from UO, the game that was going to kill it by bring back that "classic" "risk vs reward" was going to be Shadowbane. We didn't go there either, and nor did enough PvPers for that matter. Or to any of the player run, illegal Ultima Online emulation shards. Which were also ruined by human nature (dev cheating, favouritism, hacking etc) and that No True Scotsman problem again. Wasn't Warhammer Online going to be the salvation of the Dark Age Of Camelot players who missed all the realm versus realm fighting that carebear WoW didn't have? Yet even with such a strong IP, it struggles... And I believe heard mentions of "Darkfall" being this years "classic" now and uniting all the lost tribes..?

But the only game I know of that has made that "classic" chaos work over any respectable period of time in an MMO setting (but doing so via accepting an incredibly small but devoted fanbase) is probably EvE Online. Of course, if your account got hacked there, everyone would be cheering the person who did it on the boards. Because when you design for that Old West atmosphere, that's the nature of the beast that you unleash. So maybe that's not the game for you either?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Wow, that was an awfully long post to say "I wouldn't play on a classic shard because I am scared to be PKed, but I hope they make one to get rid of this b***h".

Thanks.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, that was an awfully long post to say "I wouldn't play on a classic shard because I am scared to be PKed, but I hope they make one to get rid of this b***h".

Thanks.
No. It was a great post. It's obvious why you didn't think so. It's like you are saying "I know I'm really wrong but if you make the game the way I want it my friends will come back and play with me again"

K

Keep Hope Alive

NoOooOooOOooOOo....my free T2A era player-run shard is down at the moment. I get home from a hard day's work and there is no connectivity to my Classic UO. The shard webpage is down too. Maybe they finally pulled the plug on the server. This is exactly why EA/Mythic needs to make a Classic Shard so that there is certainty that the Shard will not be unplugged one day.

Build my EA/Mythic Classic Shard and I will quit playing the free shard and immediately start paying Electronic Arts a monthly fee to play.

K

Keep Hope Alive

Hey! Look at my join date (April 2009). I created this Stratics account then because I wanted an account to "bump" Classic Shard discussions to the front of the list on UHaul. That was a year ago and it was hard bumping these discussions to the front of the list. Now it seems like the Classic Shard discussions are always on top.

Keep Hope Alive was the username I chose for the Hope that one day EA would listen to us and give us a Classic Shard.

Well, until EA decides to do something, let me try to log back into my free T2A era shard.

Bye

D

dinanm3atl

Seems that camping the Liche Lords or Dragons would be better if you want loot/money. PKs would roll in randomly. Kill me. I would come back. They would be gone. My gold was usually there. My random GM weapon was there. My reg back and maybe potions were gone.

As said it is dangerous out in the 'real world'. YOu are killing dragons. If you bring your Vanq Kryss and wear your full set of Invul leather... well you RISK losing it. SO be it. I used GM leather, GM krys and played my Mage. Killed dragons and had a million gold back when a million gold was something that was actually rare...

I just don't see killing players in dungeons, less you target specific players, being very reliable way to get loot/gold. Killing the monsters and getting the cold, selling magic stuff and selling off the gems would make more IMO.

E

eekamouse

But equally like gay marriage, people aren't going to take one up just because the offer is there either... and we aren't going to be on your "classic" shard either, because we know what we like, and it just wasn't that, sorry.
You win thread/forum/internet.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

To all Classic Shard fans:

It has been good sharing this topic with you all. Thanks for the support and keep up the fight. I am going to be taking a break from Stratics for a while, not sure how long. I don't want to be one of these drama-filled rage-quit people, so I am just saying, taking a break. I have my own reasons...and if you post around these parts long enough, you will probably figure out what they are.

At any rate, I have set up a website devoted to the discussion and promotion of ClassicUO. You are all welcome there any time. I will keep the light on for you! :lol:

To all ClassicUO haters:

One day, this game, like all others will close down. When it does, keep in mind...the items you have collected over the years are NOT what is important. The memories you made collecting them are what matters.

You might not have been around for the old days in UO, or you might have been, and didn't enjoy them. I am sad for you in that case, because if you look at the memories you have made in modern UO, they are very similar to the memories that some of us made in Classic UO...and equally as strong I am sure.

You are UO players, so you deserve respect as well...but remember, respect is a two way street, and this particular street was paved with the memories that many of us forged before the world split.

I hold no ill will towards you all...and I sincerely hope you enjoy the game that is being produced right now. Who knows, with a few changes and a little time, I might enjoy it as well. Time does strange things to us all.

For now, I am afraid it's time for me to move on, and concentrate on promoting Classic UO in the best manner I can. I think all that can be said here, has been said...about 5000 times :lol:

To the devs:
I hope you will not allow the opportunity to reach out to the people that pioneered this game world to pass you by, for they truly were the beginning of it all. The players that paid their money, logged into the game, and dealt with horrible lag, reverts, lost time, lost possessions, and eventually...lost friends...did so because we loved this game.

It's never too late to make a course adjustment, and I hope you can before the end, because it would mean a great deal to many of us that have given a good deal of ourselves to this game.

Well, that about does it for me.

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

F

fantasy10k

There is a almost a pure t2a freeshard out there already with 500 people online at primetime for US, im from Europa :(. If you want the page the pm me.

Anyways, why is so many scared for Pks? When I used my tamer they usually got scared of me lol. Could easily fight off 4 pks as a tamer if max slot is 5.

B

BuzZzZ

Good job Morgana LeFay, I'll take the next shift.

Adol's post was actualy a good read, it brought things into perspective. OSI at the time made trammel due to a large number of complaints to gm's and staff about being pk'd and loosing their stuff they worked hard for. Through fear of loosing customers OSI made tram. Then in tram people would die and not be able to get back to their corpse in time and again loose their stuff through deathgaters or poeple who lured monsters to get them killed and loot their bones. These people complained an endless amount so you could no longer loot bones. Then people were still loosing their stuff by being killed by monsters and complained about loosing their awesome runic weps ect... there we have insurance.

At the time UO was original and had little competition, when small bits of competition started cropping up OSI decided to change the rules to compete with the likes of EverQuest and the other MMO's. They made UO 'safe' to compete with these user friendly games. Then WoW came which was the ultimate friendly game that UO still tried to compete with...
UO is on the decline because the game changed itself to compete with other PvM styled games. Now there is huge cometition but UO just isn't at the same standard when competing against the likes of WoW and it's ironic that there is now a huge niche in the market for a sandbox type, old style UO game. Unfortuantley only UO was ever able to do that right where the likes of DarkFall failed and MO is heading in the same direction.

I think it says everything where 2 of the most anticipated MMO's of the last few years are basically basing their whole game around what UO was in T2A.

How about this for a suggestion for EA. Advertise for a classic shard, make it so that you have to pre pay for the time on this classic shard and only open it on the basis you get 1k, 2k+ ect (what ever amount of players needed to make it worthwhile) subscriptions. You tell players that if you reach the target subscriptions that you will open the shard within 3 months of advertising, if you find there is a lack of interest then cancel the shard and refund the money. I promise you now that you would get the player base needed.

F

fantasy10k

Do we even know if the devs read thoose threads? A friend of mine said uostratic is the main forum for Uo now, so I thought we would get some replies from devs and such. Most devs talk to the community.

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One day, this game, like all others will close down. When it does, keep in mind...the items you have collected over the years are NOT what is important. The memories you made collecting them are what matters.
I have no idea what you're blabbering about woman, my pixels are super important :D

A

Antonio Cataneo

Fantasy , devs aren't talking because words have to be weighted before being threw out, i'm sure that when some official agreement will be reached they will tell us in some manner. I hope they understand that player feedback IS important even in a work in progress stage of development.

F

fantasy10k

Fantasy , devs aren't talking because words have to be weighted before being threw out, i'm sure that when some official agreement will be reached they will tell us in some manner. I hope they understand that player feedback IS important even in a work in progress stage of development.
I hope so.

T

Trebr Drab

Some people are using free shards as an example of how a t2a classic shard will work, but that's not right, in my opinion. There's several differences, some subtle, between a free shard and a public offering.

-Far fewer players, less likely to attract higher numbers of PKers.
-Cliquish in an internet sort of way, which may not include PKer groups. The community often simply doesn't include this sort of player.
-Do not include major play-to-crush gaming guilds and clans, for the most part.
-No rights bought and paid for through a corporate entity. PKers can be banned much quicker, on a whim, if desired. Completely up to the sole discretion of the "owner". No customer rights.
-Bannings are of the IP, not just an account.
-Crushing other players just isn't as attractive on a small(ish) free shard, the "conquest" just isn't the same.

Remember too, that in the early days there were free shards that were closed down because of "jerks". Some closed because PKing left their shards empty and wasted. Some closed because of the overall activities that included message boards wars, and the "owner" just tossed in the towel.
But overall, there are plenty of reasons why PKer groups don't infect free, "private", shards the same way they do the corporate offerings of a major game.

B

BuzZzZ

I suggest you play a free shard mate, pk'ing is worse on a free shard than I remember on the OSI servers. You seem to be speaking without any actual experience.

Freeshards attract all the pvp'ers that loved the old pvp system in UO, all the old post AOS faction fighters, old school pre UOR players, basically anyone that enjoyed none item based pvp go to these free shards just to pvp. You don't tend to get as many dedicated crafters, tamers and pvm'ers due to the unstability of the servers and effort it takes to getting their skills up so what you have is the majority of people pk'ing or all out fighting.

If a classic server is made I would not pvp or pk, Im a theif by nature and enjoy pvm more than anything but on the player run shards it's not worth the effort due to that unstability.

N

northwoodschopper

One way to ensure that a classic shard works out better is to revamp the justice system to curb excess thieving and murder, without totally nerfing those options. Bringing back bounties could have an effect, provided it doesn't reward the perpetrators. Maybe change the way a bounty is reported, so that players could assign bounties to flagged thieves too.

B

BuzZzZ

It's hard to work out a bounty system that won't be abused. The murder count system and stat loss should be fine, just double the time it take to wear off an account if they have to. Same with the stealing timers I mentioned in another post.

F

fantasy10k

oh yes, the bounty system will be abused. Not sure how they can make it so it cant be abused.

B

Bc-

Do we even know if the devs read thoose threads? A friend of mine said uostratic is the main forum for Uo now, so I thought we would get some replies from devs and such. Most devs talk to the community.
If you go back to the old thread, I am too lazy to look for it, there is a reply from a member of the Dev team basically telling us to continue discussing the topic because yes they do check these threads and yes our feedback is important.

That was really what sparked the 20 page discussion.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

oh yes, the bounty system will be abused. Not sure how they can make it so it cant be abused.
I know it's totally impossible to eliminate the abuse of the bounty system, but one way would be to make it so people in the same guild, or accounts on the same IP or with the same payment info can not turn in the head for the bounty, thus eliminating two of the ways in which the bounty system was abused. I'm not a coder/IT guy so I don't know if that's easy, hard or what-not, but it would seem to be the most common sense place to start.

N

northwoodschopper

I can think of a couple ways a bounty system won't be as abused, mainly linking the total bounty to the ammount of stat-loss experienced. So a bounty could be collected by a friend of the perpetrator, at the expense of their character though. If also applied to thieving, then thieves are also at risk for statloss (something thieves never really had to begin with).

I bet that the current system can track criminal acts against a specific player, so if a player can 'report' a crime to a guard, and assign bounties to whoever flagged them for thieving/murder within an realtime hour, then it does give the player some control over the retribution.

The old system was abused because there wasn't a penalty attached to the bounty. Not sure too many players would build up a pker to throw away for a 100k bounty reward.

Basically, bringing back the bounty in this way would give some more power to the victims, albeit wealthier ones. Perhaps the kingdom would add fines to reported crimes in conjuction to the player bounty to ensure that 'poor' players aren't a grief target.

T

Trebr Drab

I know it's totally impossible to eliminate the abuse of the bounty system, but one way would be to make it so people in the same guild, or accounts on the same IP or with the same payment info can not turn in the head for the bounty, thus eliminating two of the ways in which the bounty system was abused. I'm not a coder/IT guy so I don't know if that's easy, hard or what-not, but it would seem to be the most common sense place to start.
As long as there is just one opening for abuse, players will use it. So unless you close them all, it doesn't work. That's why bounty systems don't work.
Unless, of course, there's much more at stake. Like perma-death or something.

T

Trebr Drab

I can think of a couple ways a bounty system won't be as abused, mainly linking the total bounty to the ammount of stat-loss experienced. So a bounty could be collected by a friend of the perpetrator, at the expense of their character though. If also applied to thieving, then thieves are also at risk for statloss (something thieves never really had to begin with).

I bet that the current system can track criminal acts against a specific player, so if a player can 'report' a crime to a guard, and assign bounties to whoever flagged them for thieving/murder within an realtime hour, then it does give the player some control over the retribution.

The old system was abused because there wasn't a penalty attached to the bounty. Not sure too many players would build up a pker to throw away for a 100k bounty reward.

Basically, bringing back the bounty in this way would give some more power to the victims, albeit wealthier ones. Perhaps the kingdom would add fines to reported crimes in conjuction to the player bounty to ensure that 'poor' players aren't a grief target.
Stat loss through a bounty system? Or jail time for thieves? Might work.

B

Bud_Weiser

Classic Shard means exactly that!! CLASSIC. Leave all the Post Pub 16 insane developer created garbage out of it. If you trammies don't like it, don't play it. That easy.

If EA cranks out a Pre Pub 16 shard, watch out for a thief in a blue kilt, red shirt and a red shoes. ;) AYL will ride again I am sure. =)

K

KnowYourEnemy

haven't played this game in a while. glad to hear people are talking about making a classic shard. and if they do, i'm comin back!!!!

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Freeshards attract all the pvp'ers that loved the old pvp system in UO, all the old post AOS faction fighters, old school pre UOR players, basically anyone that enjoyed none item based pvp go to these free shards just to pvp. You don't tend to get as many dedicated crafters, tamers and pvm'ers due to the unstability of the servers and effort it takes to getting their skills up so what you have is the majority of people pk'ing or all out fighting.
Server stability is the not the reason people don't join freeshard to pvm that are anywhere close to the numbers of pvper's. The reason there are more pvpers to pvm players in that ruleset is the same reason there is more pvm players on the production shards. The percentage of "trammies" that are going to play a classic shard is very low.

It's hard for me to understand why people believe a classic shard will not be little more than a pvp shard with a few rpers and a few brave trammies scattered about a bunch of thieves and pvpers. :gee:

B

Bud_Weiser

@ Adol:

Most of us who want a Classic shard to be published really don't care about your opinions. Why do you even care? You're obviously not going to play it.

I have an idea, stay out of the argument. Let us who WANT to play a Classic Shard just debate on our issues and you stick with your Neon Happy Hello Kitty Trammelite Shard. Okie?

See, now that was easy.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Adol:

Most of us who want a Classic shard to be published really don't care about your opinions. Why do you even care? You're obviously not going to play it.

I have an idea, stay out of the argument. Let us who WANT to play a Classic Shard just debate on our issues and you stick with your Neon Happy Hello Kitty Trammelite Shard. Okie?

See, now that was easy.
I have absolutely no intention whatsoever in playing a classic shard. Guess what? I will add my opinion on the matter whenever I see fit as I hope Adol does. Not that anymore is needed from that well thought out post. It was quite complete.

I'll say what I want and play where I want.

See how easy that was?

E

Evlar

Thanks.
No. It was a great post. It's obvious why you didn't think so. It's like you are saying "I know I'm really wrong but if you make the game the way I want it my friends will come back and play with me again"
Listen...

I'll tell you what's getting on my wick at the moment.

Someone discusses elements of gameplay as were, or as was. Some of those elements included player killing, or occasionally someone said "poo".

Someone else then comments (usually to the tune of a violin playing in the background), that they have this or that real life problem, therefore anything confrontational in the game should be frowned upon. That it's affecting them personally, or they take it personally.

HORSE CRAP!

If people cannot differentiate between what's going on in a virtual world, from their real lives, or they take what goes on in that virtual world so personally and take such offence...

THEY NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP!

I'm sorry, but I'm fed up with the bleeding heart brigade. Most people endure trials and tribulations in their real lives. Not all of them wish to bring them into an online virtual world. Some of us, actually, just want to play a game.

Yes, there's a real person somewhere in the world, on the other side of the screen, but for crying out loud, if people are going to take such offence towards aspects of a game which is actually (*gasps*) based around elements of combat and fighting, what are they doing playing it in the first place?

But no... they want everything their own way. They want to turn it into something completely different, like a version of THE SIMS ONLINE, where everything is nice, shiny and peachy.

So those of us who have the mental capability to differentiate what is virtual, in a game, isn't real, from what is real, have to bend over and take it royally for them?

Pah!

I'm sick of being told we're nasty, evil, thoughtless, careless or just downright stupid, because we have the ability to engage in something that's actually a challenging virtual environment, whilst also understanding it is just what it is...

A VIRTUAL ENVIRONEMENT!

B

Bud_Weiser

I have absolutely no intention whatsoever in playing a classic shard. Guess what? I will add my opinion on the matter whenever I see fit as I hope Adol does. Not that anymore is needed from that well thought out post. It was quite complete.

I'll say what I want and play where I want.

See how easy that was?
So you admit that you're adding your two cents about Trammy Happiness just to cause dissent?

I see what you did there.

Typical.

B

BuzZzZ

Server stability is the not the reason people don't join freeshard to pvm that are anywhere close to the numbers of pvper's. The reason there are more pvpers to pvm players in that ruleset is the same reason there is more pvm players on the production shards. The percentage of "trammies" that are going to play a classic shard is very low.

It's hard for me to understand why people believe a classic shard will not be little more than a pvp shard with a few rpers and a few brave trammies scattered about a bunch of thieves and pvpers. :gee:
Coming from a pvm'er I can promise you thats just a lie you have plucked out of the air. You think a classic shard will be rampant with pvp and pk's? No chance. When you have been on the recieving end of stat loss you will understand how much it sucks mate, players don't go on casual killing sprees on a whim. Anti pk guilds are always looking to kill a red and destory his playtime for a few weeks by putting him in statloss. A bit of bad luck or a connection loss and your character has just been ruined. As many have said, you see a red you used to run as reds were usually reserved for the best

No insurance makes it a crafters dream but you try becoming a crafter, takes dedication. PvM'ers make their money by taking out big prey and getting magic weps which count for lot's.

@northwoodschopper. That bounty system was almost perfect until I thought about a new character being able to just keep getting murder counts over and over by killing friends in order to collect money. I think the normal stat loss system was fine, maybe make it 16 hours for a short term if they want to clamp down.

@ anyone who is speaking against a classic shard: You just had to have been there at the time to understand how it worked out brilliantly, the economy was perfect. Crafters flurished, treasure hunters had a great time, people fished! Nearly every profession had fun and had a purpose.

Keep it up people, keep telling your friends! Also for those old school players we should use the new Felucians forum to talk about old time!

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sick of being told we're nasty, evil, thoughtless, careless or just downright stupid, because we have the ability to engage in something that's actually a challenging virtual environment, whilst also understanding it is just what it is...
No one ever called you careless, nasty or evil...

:)

See what I did there?

E

Evlar

No one ever called you careless, nasty or evil...

:)

See what I did there?
Yes phantus :p

You at least have a sense of humour and can give as good as you get, without taking it personally. We've shared a few exchanges before on these boards and no real harm done.

I think you also know and understand what I'm referring to. I take it you agree with the rest then ;) :lol:

F

fantasy10k

Most people knew me as a PvP'er on freeshards. Usually I used my tamer to PvP but I did a lot of fieldfighting without pets also ofc.
Anyways , even though I PvP'd a lot I probably played on my crafter and my PvM char a lot more. Nothing wrong to PvP ofc but its hell of a fun to PvM in dungeons when you know that any other player can come ini any second and attack you :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.