• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Renyard Foxenwyle

Large brick = best house
Surely you jest. Your Large Brick house can not compare to the pure pwn of the Villa. It's not huge, but it's not small either. Perfect for a husband and wife duo.

It'll be great if we do get a classic shard, my wife loved UO but hated AoS....I might not draw as much wife aggro as I do when I'm home if she could play UO with me again.

E

Evlar

On the same hand some of the people that have been in this thread should probably cool it with mentioning classic in other threads, I can see how it might get annoying for other people who have no interest in it.
I agree. I have pretty much stopped mentioning it anywhere besides in this thread. The only time I have broken and mentioned it was after someone else slammed on Classic Shards in another thread. If one of us doesn't bring it up first, I see no foul in defending ourselves.
Unfortunately I was trolled into such a "debate" the other day, even though my comments were entirely relevant to the topic within it. The problem isn't with the classic shard concept in itself, but that sadly, certain users are either completely blinkered, or are simply unable to constructively contribute/counter, thus get shirty.

When I mentioned classic shard as just one possibility towards encouraging new/returning players, that one area of my post was jumped upon. Interestingly, those accusing of trolling and spamming, were unable to add anything constructive to the thread themselves, or offer their own suggestions. They proceeded to troll themselves. Pot... kettle... black?

Forget all that though. If certain users are upset because they don't like the subject matter and take such offence to it, either the moderators will respond if there's a problem, or the users will use the report button. Their call. I for one, will not change my posting style, which I think is fairly well reasoned (mostly ;) ), for the sake of a few narrow minded individuals. They've got their big bag of sweets and simply get upset because we're asking for one. *Rant Over* :D

As for all the publish note's I've been reading through in this thread, wow... they certainly do bring back memories. I would agree with Morgana though, that there are a few implementations, mainly "common sense" (UI work, stackables, etc...) which there's no good reason not to implement. So long as they don't change the core emphasis of what the Classic concept is about, but rather, are genuinely good changes to enhance the game play experience, I have no problem with them.

I'll try to highlight some of them when I get chance, but suffice it to say that something like changes to make items stack, from a crafter perspective, is always a good thing.

As for custom housing versus period housing, I'll roll with whatever the masses think. I have enjoyed custom housing, simply from the perspective that I've often designed spaces for myself and others, which tastefully suit their surroundings. They've also often been more than houses, public spaces that other players can use and enjoy. From that perspective, they're a great addition to the game. Sadly not everyone either has the inclination or time to put much thought into their creations, hence the eyesores.

Perhaps starting with Ren houses added in April 2000, (spade gt post #2086 ), is the best way to go overall though, to begin with.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

Why is it anathema for us to mention a classic server outside this thread, but the nay-sayers can come onto this thread and troll it to try and start fights with (imo) the sole intent of getting the thread locked so they get their "win"? Gotta love those hypocritical ones who only want their pixel crack and nothing for those of us who have been begging for this type of shard since Tram (or in my case AoS, though LBR did leave a bad taste in my mouth)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Unfortunately I was trolled into such a "debate" the other day, even though my comments were entirely relevant to the topic within it. The problem isn't with the classic shard concept in itself, but that sadly, certain users are either completely blinkered, or are simply unable to constructively contribute/counter, thus get shirty.
I love that expression...shirty! :)

What gripes me is that if one of us goes and mentions anything about a Classic Shard in any thread outside of this one, we are accused of spamming EVERY THREAD with Classic Shard posts...even if it is relevant to the topic, or in response to an anti-Classic Shard post.

Meanwhile, people like Connor and HD2330 feel it necessary to troll the single thread that is dedicated to discussion of a Classic Shard.

For the record...I would like to request a Classic Shard forum all on its own. I'd like for us to be able to create polls, have multiple threads so the discussion of different topics doesn't get lost in a sea of posts about any and everything about a Classic Shard. That way, it could be moderated accordingly, and anti-Classic Shard trolls could be removed from topics that they have no business in. I mean, I wouldn't pop into the Pacific forum and start talking about how "stupid" Pacific is compared to Atlantic...so why have people that wouldn't play on a Classic Shard doing the same thing here (there)? I realize we probably won't get it here...but it never hurts to ask.

Perhaps starting with Ren houses added in April 2000, (spade gt post #2086 ), is the best way to go overall though, to begin with.
I agree with this. Start with the original houses + the UO:R houses, and then see how it goes. If enough players ask for custom, then add it later.

I am torn on custom housing simply because I know it would draw some players to the shard. I don't think it would prevent very many from playing on it...but I know that some would get tired of the turrent houses and eyesores.

All and all, I just can't see the real need for custom housing. If there was some way of policing it, and making sure that people were not creating turret houses...maybe...and there is no way to control eyesores. One person's eyesore is another person's work of art. Way too subjective.

E

Evlar

I believe they thought introducing a steampunk theme would work. I like steampunk themed games, but not the idea of intorducing it into a game like UO, where it had no place.

Might as well have thrown in lazer weapons for good measure...

*sigh*

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

Might as well have thrown in lazer weapons for good measure...

*sigh*
Isn't that what the glacial staves were? Looked like them to me...or at the very least a fluorescent light on steroids.

As for the steampunk feel, I can dig that too. I love steampunk, but that belongs in Arcanum, not UO.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darth Blacthorne... :lol:

I think the weight of this thread alone prevents any troll from even making a dent in it ; what is most funny to me is the way they don't even read whats before them and think they can just barge in and say hey look my logic it's flawless. How pathetic...

Yeah I got a bad feeling, the shadowlords are waking up... people are such fools to think they "killed" them on those steampunk servers...

This is really bad.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

The guardian is an alien... and he's already invaded.
How dare you compare John Riccitiello, CEO of the great EA kingdom to the Guardian....The guardian is much more clever than he is. The Guardian would have given us Classic Shards by now so that we would be corrupted by their influence. Kinda like the pillars in assension.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Each time I'm in a thread that isn't really relating to a classic shard and see it mentioned it reminds me of this thread and I come to see how it's going and add my expert opinion on the matter. Seems fairly logical to me.
Fair enough.

There is a new neon item! Oh boy! You have a link to that thread?
They may not all be neon, but if you want item threads...

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=189003
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196894
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196649
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196808
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=190217
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196845
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196806
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196786
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196668
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196683
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196717
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196488
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196602

Each one of these threads either discusses the items themselves, the way to get them, or a complaint that someone cannot find them.

These are all on the first 3 pages of UHall.

Do me a favor...when you find the same number of Classic Shard threads, come back and talk to me...until then...well, let's just say go and pleasure yourself in whatever way you see fit.

Classic shard ftw! Too bad Siege will have to be turned off in order to make it happen.
Where do you get these delusions?

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or EA could say .. Hey we develop a Star Wars MMO and also expect to have more than a million players.. What is that UO about and why should those GMs not support our new and shiny product.

Will be interesting to see what EA decides upon. As far as I heard DAOC did not get their classic servers, so why should UO now that Bioware runs the MMO department?
Each time that UO loses subscribers that possibility becomes more likely. The obvious way to prevent that is to attempt to gain subscribers for UO, which is not occurring with the current system.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Me too...

This is Lord Blackthorne

WTH is this supposed to be?

That is not Lord Blackthorne.

Robots and androids don't belong in Ultima Online.
Funny you should mention that. The first time I quit UO, it was right after LBR.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Classic shard ftw! Too bad Siege will have to be turned off in order to make it happen.
Where do you get these delusions?
I don't believe this should be too hard to understand. Siege will die if a classic shard is introduced. A large number of Siege players(past and present) will move to a classic shard making it's numbers even smaller. There will still be a presence there but it's my opinion that after a classic shard is introduced there will not be enough players left there to continue it's operation. I'm more than willing to say I could be wrong but I do not believe I am.

D

dinanm3atl

As a PvM as my primary 'game' if this shard drops I will be there with friends in tow... NEW players to UO as they always wanted to experience what I tried to relay to them in stories. I enjoy PvP though.

Don't see why a 'classic shard' is a PvP shard. I wouldn't call T2A UO a "PvP Game" at the time.

D

dum3886

@dinanm3atl

Couldn't be more true. Back then you couldn't solo every single monsters... or at least u couldn't without working out a very very well thought out plan. Now if u have the items u can solo 99% of everything... Peerless for example r a joke... Mels... i remember people killing her in 3 minutes with a group of alchemists just chucking pots with 1 tank... not really a challenge. BAck then balrogs were a challenge.. i remember walking into a gate and i saw an ancient wyvern... i died in 2 hits with full invul plate armour lol... literally 10 steps and was dead hahaha....

THe games r very different.. different challenges.. different community different everything its nothing a like. Pvp was diffreent guild wars were different... crafters were actually an important part of community... more risk... giving a blacksmith ur weapon to repair... there is risk right there alone.

I think what the developers should do IF they make a classic shard is to accomodate for the pvmers and rare collectors more i.e: have a few EM events once in a while... or even make new monsters.. harder ones. Some people make dislike this bcz they wun wanna work as a team but its a choice.. dun want to kill the super high lvl monsters that have a higher chance of dropping a vanq.. then don't go back to elder gazers where u can solo have more drops per minute but less chance of a vanq item etc... pvpers i think will just be happy if they have a proper system to restrict rampant pvp.. bcz lets face it... we(pvpers) all want the shard but we also know the risk of having a system that can go rampant and ruin EVERYTHING we have been asking for 8 yrs.. we'd rather a system that will restrict us a little bit but at least is stable.

I am actually all for a tram as well... will have a higher shard population which is what i am personally looking for. Having guild wars at tram was my favourite memory of UO... where we'd have rules.. i.e: wearing a deathrobe = not in the mood to fight or afk, no loot policy etc... and when no deadrobe on.. fight away... u'd see someone at WBB u attack he teleports etc... just dun see this type of wars in UO anymore... or at least on my shard... now everything is about cash... we fight for spawns... what happened to just fighting for the sake of fighting?

D

dum3886

I'd think a nice system would be a longer stat loss system... where u lose maybe a smaller % of ur stats/skills but for a longer time. I forgot what the stat loss system was like but i rememebr i lost a LOT...

Have people agreed on a punishment system... sorry but 22 pages of this topic i just dun have the time to read... but if not im sure there r heaps of possibilities... a possible penalty in casting time (yes i know it didn't exist back then but they have the programming for it... so just make it -fc1 or a -fcr2 whenever u cast and if u r in "stat loss stage"), longer stat loss time but with a smaller penalty... or if u r in "stat loss"...

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I think the general consensus right now is that the penalties for reds (PKs) should be as follows:

- Stat loss on rez
- No use of towns besides Buc's Den
- NPC will not deal with reds
- NPC will not rez reds, reds have to go to the Chaos Shrine or have players rez them

Am I missing something?

PS - I still think this will allow reds to just UM (macro while sleeping) off their counts, but I guess that is what the majority supports. rolleyes:

D

dinanm3atl

I think the general consensus right now is that the penalties for reds (PKs) should be as follows:

- Stat loss on rez
- No use of towns besides Buc's Den
- NPC will not deal with reds
- NPC will not rez reds, reds have to go to the Chaos Shrine or have players rez them

Am I missing something?

PS - I still think this will allow reds to just UM (macro while sleeping) off their counts, but I guess that is what the majority supports. rolleyes:
This seems to be just fine IMO. Macroing while asleep seemed to me to be 'part of the game' when it was T2A time. Overnight hiding. Overnight sparring. It seemed that it was one thing people did. I saw it all the time. If they want to sit overnight and do that. I don't see a big deal.

I hope we see it. I would be SO excited. Let me pose this. Oct 98 T2A would you call UO a PvP game?

ALSO. One thing it needs... support for higher resolutions. Yah I played on a 15" or 17" CRT. I run dual 22" WS LCDs now. I remember having to downsize last time I played and renewed my account to just play a little bit on the EA servers.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Macroing while asleep seemed to me to be 'part of the game'
You may not leave an active character or pet in game while unattended. If your character is performing a skill, text or action, you must be able to respond to a Game Master when one attempts to speak to you.
http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cf...&p_accessibility=&p_page=&p_lva=347&nextlink=

It would seem that EA does not share this opinion.

Unattended Macroing is against the RoC for Ultima Online...and it is a bannable offense.

I realize that an awful lot of wannabe PKs are expecting to be able to just macro off counts like in the old days...and some of them will...but they better not get caught. And there are players that LOVE to page on UM'ers nowadays.

D

dinanm3atl

I hate to say it like this but you seem awfully 'angry' about the situation. People hiding in town macroing random stuff seemed to be 'part of the game' as I said. It was against the rules in 98 and it is still against the rules because it defeats part of the game. Actually sitting there doing it. It still happened though.

Did it ruin the game? Nah. Someone got to GM hiding or buffed their stamina quickly. It was just something that happened IMO.

As said. Was T2A Oct 98 Ultima Online a "PvP Game"?

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

Unattended Macroing is against the RoC for Ultima Online...and it is a bannable offense.
If my memory serves me right, I think the actual enforcement of the Unattended Macroing paragraph in the RoC was never really enforced until after a very vocal majority started complaining that PK's were not really being punished because they could just UM the counts away before they rezzed. Which I aggree with in theory. I'm a firm believer in counts only dropping off while you're alive, which makes UMing a little bit harder, as Meteor Storm and Earthquake could easily kill you while you were in your house in T2A.

As I've gotten older my feelings on UMing have changed drastically, I don't really see it as a problem to me personally, but then again as I've gotten older my priorities have changed and I can see why UMing would be attractive to someone in the first place.

D

dum3886

its not like they will enforce the unattended macroing rules anyway... when was the last time u saw a GM? and people expect a GM to go to the classic shard :S?

heres a possibility... everytime u kill a innocent.. u lose 5% of ur stats for 2 hrs... simple done.. no more rampage... u kill 3 ppl... u'll b down to 85 magery... u kill 4.. 80magery... i think by then god luck to u lol... that way u can't just go killing 100 people a day

What happens if there is a guild of absolutely unstoppable pvp mages and they go rampant... if no one can kill them... then rampage goes on... stat loss does nothing to fix situations like this. Who is to say a group of pvpers just wun group up to wreck havoc?

The problem with how people r thinking atm is they want to deter people from being murderers... good luck to that... the problem is deterring people from going rampant.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still stand on the said that murderers are not that big of a deal. I did A LOT of trading, mining, wandering around ect and yes I ran into reds but... Sometimes I died, sometimes they let me be, and yes sometimes there is that one who will res kill you endlessly. However, once I learned how to avoid 'hot spots', recall faster, or just be cool to them it all changed. Reds forced me to be better protected and more prepared.

Also, I really don't remember huge masses of reds striking down all who got in there way. I believe most guilds with that many reds chose to fight each other and other guilds, because they fought back... and as someone said, PvP back then was about PvP, not just ganking all day long. It gets boring killing miners all day long, so the skilled PK's move on, while the unskilled ones can be handled easliy.

okay, I'm tired and rambling, but I feel WAY too much has been focused on PK's, we delt with them before, and they didn't ruin our fun too much. Hell, they made us learn to play better.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
p.s. if you are worried about reds, then just form a massive guild of blues who hunt PK's. They were around before, and they did a damn good job.

D

dum3886

Im not worried about reds... all i did was pvp when i played UO... i quit bcz my server became quiet and nothing to do...

But i am basing it on the fact trammel was made in the first place.. obviously someone cried for it to be made... obviously the best result will be no penalty at all bcz well.. why should there be? this isn't a carebear game like WoW etc... reds should b able to do watever they want.. BUT seeing this won't work.... i'd much rather a system that restricts me a little bit than a system which forces me to afk-macro... i dun exactly play just to macro.. i play to well... play...

and Pvping is all that is to be attended to anyway... pvm was fine.. all they need to do is add some EM events... add a few monsters every yr.. and everyone's happy... its pvp which ppl would need to look at.

and the system i mentioned obviously killing reds/grey will not affect u (no -5% penalty)so kill all want... just will minimize people bashing blues all the time... which i would b very happy with... so if u wanna pvp.. reds/crims kill each other with 0 penalties.. no stat loss nothing = more fun for us we can play for longer as long as we murder each other =D... yet there is a slight buffer for blues bcz if some idiot goes around ganking blue miners... then he'll eventually get skill cutted.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*tagging to last*

Some posts were removed. Please keep this thread on acceptable levels of civility...

C

Connor_Graham

Meanwhile, people like Connor and HD2330 feel it necessary to troll the single thread that is dedicated to discussion of a Classic Shard.
This is not a troll-

Connor_Graham said:
Except for the not insignificant initial start-up costs (including a LOT of Dev hours) and the daily cost to run it....
This is a legitimate point that was brought up that was easier to insult and pass off as a troll than to actually respond to. It's also the biggest reason players such as myself are against yet another shard being brought into being.

T

Trebr Drab

If my memory serves me right, I think the actual enforcement of the Unattended Macroing paragraph in the RoC was never really enforced until after a very vocal majority started complaining that PK's were not really being punished because they could just UM the counts away before they rezzed. Which I aggree with in theory. I'm a firm believer in counts only dropping off while you're alive, which makes UMing a little bit harder, as Meteor Storm and Earthquake could easily kill you while you were in your house in T2A.

As I've gotten older my feelings on UMing have changed drastically, I don't really see it as a problem to me personally, but then again as I've gotten older my priorities have changed and I can see why UMing would be attractive to someone in the first place.
That's exactly why it didn't work as a "punishment". Perception. It did keep that character from PKing for the duration. But it wasn't enough punishment to be perceived as working. And it didn't help that some well known PKers boasted that they weren't being hurt by it. And some of them were continuing to PK with another character.

As I've said, the punishment must satisfy the victims. It doesn't matter how the PKers see it. Too harsh? Tough cookies. If the "sheep" leave, you have no game left anyways. And neither does all the middle ground players, like many of us are.

B

Bc-

Guys we have been over this before in many different Classic shard threads, if you don't feed the trolls they will go elsewhere!

Lets keep the discussion civil and constructive.

Click on User CP > Under "Settings and Options" click on Edit Ignore List > Type in the username under "Add a Member to your list..." > Press Okay

Problem solved. Haters are going to hate, we can't help that. Just know that they are the minority and if you don't respond to their comments then their small voice has no power or backing.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I hate to say it like this but you seem awfully 'angry' about the situation. People hiding in town macroing random stuff seemed to be 'part of the game' as I said. It was against the rules in 98 and it is still against the rules because it defeats part of the game. Actually sitting there doing it. It still happened though.
Me? Angry about macroing??

Not at all. I am just pointing out that it is against the rules, and is therefore an exploit. If the developers hope to curb PKing at all, I am just saying that a method that actually makes the existing punishment stick should be found.

It's no mystery why most ex-PKs want stat loss on rez...it's because they plan to just UM off the kills. PK Easy Mode.

As said. Was T2A Oct 98 Ultima Online a "PvP Game"?
For just that particular month??

I would probably say that would entirely depend on the individual player. For me, UO was a PvP game from day 1 until around 2003 when AoS launched. I sort of lost interest in PvP after that...also my tower was gone, and it used to be in PK central near the Ice Dungeon entrance in Fel...so when I came back, my new house is in the "trailer park" (Malas) :) so there is no being jumped when coming home anymore.

I miss that, it added a lot of excitement to an otherwise rote activity (going to my house).

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do hope everyone realizes, that just because the shard exists, it does not mean that people will play in it like they used to. people are used to not having to find a blacksmith to repair their armor, the sense of community, and things like that. I would hope this would be restored to something like this, but it isn't a guarantee.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

This is not a troll-
I civilly disagree.

This is a legitimate point that was brought up that was easier to insult and pass off as a troll than to actually respond to. It's also the biggest reason players such as myself are against yet another shard being brought into being.
As has been stated before. Your subscription payments are worth no more or less than anyone else's. There are players that pay their subscriptions, dutifully, every month that want something different than you do. Why then, should those players be denied...especially given the amount of resources that have been allocated for the last 10 years towards your prefered style of play? If you will count them...you will find 24 running shards that are geared toward your particular prefered style of play. There are also 2 that cater towards a different style of play called Siege and Mugen...neither cater to the Classic UO fan any longer thanks to the introduction of AoS and post-AoS additions.

In the grand scheme of things, it seems only fair, and logical, that the addition of 1 or 2 shards that cater to those that seek a Classic experience makes up rougly 1/26th-1/13th of the existing shards, should they come into operation. Surely there are enough subscribers that want to play in a classic environment to justify less than 4% of the shards to be devoted to those paying customers.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Siege will die if a classic shard is introduced.

... but it's my opinion.
Since my first response to your post was removed, I just wanted to quote the relevant parts.

I understand and respect your opinion...but it is just that, your opinion. The Siege players I have spoken with, and the ones that posted in the thread that Kelmo started in the Siege section seem to disagree with your assessment of the situation.

Thank you.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trolling? No. It isnt only Classic fanbois reading this thread.

Massive development costs just to get 2500 returning vets? LMAO you could do another vets Return to Brit free trial month and get more than 2500 returning vets for like $2.

Even if you ignore development costs, the numbers show that EA will lose more subscribers during such a massive project, than the 2500 returning vets the Classic shard will bring in. There are cheaper and better options available that will make 99% of UO subscribers happy.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Siege will die if a classic shard is introduced.

... but it's my opinion.
Since my first response to your post was removed, I just wanted to quote the relevant parts.

I understand and respect your opinion...but it is just that, your opinion. The Siege players I have spoken with, and the ones that posted in the thread that Kelmo started in the Siege section seem to disagree with your assessment of the situation.
I'll just repeat what was in a post of my that was deleted, I agree with phantus on this one. I think a classic shard would destroy Siege Perilous and Mugen, but there is no accounting for the stubbornness of a human when they decide to hang on to something. It just seems to me that a classic shard is really what most people that are playing SP are looking for. But maybe I'm wrong.

One thing that did surprise me though. I remember when Siege was created. It replaced the old funky Abyss shard. What I had forgotten was that it predated Trammel, so obviously the original inhabitants of Siege weren't playing it in the hope that it would give them that classic UO experience. It would be pretty hard to shut down something with that much history.

Which of course leads back to my original problem with the whole idea of a classic shard, I would be concerned about them supporting three unique rules sets, in terms of the development bandwidth. However, whether the devs can handle a third rules set or not isn't something that I can judge, only they can.

D

Derrick83

I don't believe this should be too hard to understand. Siege will die if a classic shard is introduced. A large number of Siege players(past and present) will move to a classic shard making it's numbers even smaller. There will still be a presence there but it's my opinion that after a classic shard is introduced there will not be enough players left there to continue it's operation. I'm more than willing to say I could be wrong but I do not believe I am.
I see your point, however I believe that makes you look selfish.

I do not mean to attack, I am making a observation. If you say that "A large number of Siege players(past and present) will move to a classic shard " then you believe that group of people does not really want to play seige.. they really want to play a classic shard but seige is as close as they have. You seem to like seige and thus I assume you are in the minority that would prefer Seige over a classic shard.

If the numbers leaving seige are so large to devastate the shard (50%+) then that means that most of the Seige shard would rather be playing a classic shard and thus they will enjoy the time they spend in this game even more. Saying that bringing out a classic shard would devastate Seige, while sad, is just a testament to how many people do want this classic shard. Most of the people playing seige dont REALLY want to be playing it, they WANT to be playing a classic shard but Seige is all they have.

P

pilawhitetrash

does anyone have links to official statements from ea or devs about a classic shard or is it just rumors?

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cf...&p_accessibility=&p_page=&p_lva=347&nextlink=

I realize that an awful lot of wannabe PKs are expecting to be able to just macro off counts like in the old days...and some of them will...but they better not get caught. And there are players that LOVE to page on UM'ers nowadays.
Never really needed to UM Macro counts. Just hanging out dead at an active gate while dead was god enough to keep the client connected.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Never really needed to UM Macro counts. Just hanging out dead at an active gate while dead was god enough to keep the client connected.
Hanging out dead at an active gate is just as against the rules as UMing if you are doing it AFK.

D

Derrick83

I think the Stat loss should be upon rezzing. That how it was because once a PK died they did not lose stats, it was if they rezzed. Thats why they macrod as a ghost. I do not think that as severe of penalties should be given these days. Mainly because their will be much more actual PvP involved than before and so reds WILL die a lot more. I do not know how to balance the system, but in a shard where a lot of the population will want to PvP, if you die as a red and have to "find a way" to kill counts just so they can rezz and and play then it really will discourage people from playing reds.

I do not think it will be a solely pvp shard, but their will be MUCH more pvp than the actual era. That being said, in the actual T2A era, we had the bounty system and as you know their were reds that actively PvP'd and wouldn't die for weeks/months. That is no more. In this era their is no way a red can go months without dieing. It would be difficult in this culture(even in the T2A ruleset) to go even days without dieing. Thus if reds know they will die frequently, but if they do they will have to macro or something for 2 days so they can rezz without stat.. they just wont go red.

I know most people dont like PK's, but if you want a true classic shard, PKs (not griefers necessarily) are a part of the PvP, RP or whatever.. they are a part of the history. We dont want to scare them away by the penalties outweighing the benefits. Again.. this time around the mindset of the inhabitants are different, so, some things may need to be changed or tweaked.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hanging out dead at an active gate is just as against the rules as UMing if you are doing it AFK.
Oh please, that is like saying an afk bank sitter is breaking some rules. alot of people sit in luna, just to work off counts on blues.

E

Evlar

In all fairness, I feel the issues with Siege and declining player numbers, are an issue apart.

Yes, maybe players from Siege would look at the classic shard concept, perhaps they won't. The problems are with the restrictive nature of aspects of the Siege ruleset, such as one character per account, slow skill gains, etc. They are the most likely causes of the issues, such is why a large majority of Siege players are asking for changes, so that not only can they get new players, but keep them too.

In all honesty, if it wasn't for those restrictions, I would have played on Siege a long time ago and likely still have been there.

C

Connor_Graham

Why then, should those players be denied...especially given the amount of resources that have been allocated for the last 10 years towards your prefered style of play?
"Those players" are asking for something that doesn't currently exist, would require a large amount of resources, both human and monetary, and would be based on a time frame of the game in which the creation of Tram was required to stop the exodus of players leaving for the alternative. These are resources that could be used to improve the playstyle that's been carrying UO for the past 10 years. It seems to me that the one that's proven successful is the one that should be stuck with instead of one that's already proven itself to be a failure in the grand scheme.

:popcorn:

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Massive development costs just to get 2500 returning vets?
"Massive development costs" you say?

If you have hard numbers to back this up...please post them.

Keep in mind, the current development team are staff developers. They are going to make the same salaries regardless if they are coding a classic shard, fixing bugs, adding more items to the game, or just sitting around the office playing on Stratics.

Assuming the server itself cannot be piggy-backed on to an existing rack, the cost for a rack of servers wouldn't be nearly as astronomical as you would like people to believe ($5000-6000). Assuming EA is hosting these shards on a 2nd part farm, the cost per month for the hosting and bandwidth isn't actually that bad either (less than $1000 per month).

If you consider 2500 paying subscribers @ $12.99 per month... that's roughly $3250 per month, in a year, you are looking at $39,000 in otherwise unclaimed revenue.

Keep in mind, this is working off of the numbers you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.