• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guitano

I think you need to re read this page, the whole discussion in this thread has come down to a list of things that represent no restrictions past that of classic uo.
I think you need to re read. All I'm seeing is people wanting to punish PvP. People are changing the rule set making classic UO a candy land. What people are forgetting is that classic UO gave the choice to be good, the choice to be evil and the choice to be neutral.

All I can hope for is that if the UO developers do make a classic shard, they stick with a true classic rule set. Like I said before, the goal of a classic UO shard is to bring back classic players and new fans alike. It would be sad to see the developers make a sugar coated version of classic UO to please it's current player base.

U

Unsatisfied

I think you need to re read. All I'm seeing is people wanting to punish PvP. People are changing the rule set making classic UO a candy land. What people are forgetting is that classic UO gave the choice to be good, the choice to be evil and the choice to be neutral.

All I can hope for is that if the UO developers do make a classic shard, they stick with a true classic rule set. Like I said before, the goal of a classic UO shard is to bring back classic players and new fans alike. It would be sad to see the developers make a sugar coated version of classic UO to please it's current player base.
....This is pretty much what its come down to...

-Pre-AOS
-NO trammel
-NO power scrolls
-NO transfers from production shards
-NO lands from expansions after T2A at server birth. Expansions may be available later.
-T2A era ruleset, skills and spells
-T2A era weapon and armor types
-T2A era monster and treasure chest loot tables
-T2A era stat loss for PK'ers
-T2A era other penalties for PK'ers (can't enter towns, newbied items drop to corpse, etc)
-post-T2A era secure storage in houses and skill locks
-Order/Chaos consensual combat system
Tell me what of that list that is being pushed is making it candy care bear land?
What of that list is not classic UO?
What is it that I need to re read? cos im completely missing your point.

U

Unsatisfied

Personally, I thought the neon hair looked assinine. Why would you want your character to look like that? Yeesh.....

My characters were either bald, or had black or brown hair.
Like I said I wouldnt care if it wasnt there, I guess its my one peice of eye crack that I didnt mind, I just saw it as a bit of a status symbol back before it became available on vendors for 500k a piece, when you had to find someone willing to part with a bottle of neon hair dye. If it exists it should be fairly rare, just something else to help that market also. But again, I'll take it or leave it.

L

Longest Journey

Like I said I wouldnt care if it wasnt there, I guess its my one peice of eye crack that I didnt mind, I just saw it as a bit of a status symbol back before it became available on vendors for 500k a piece, when you had to find someone willing to part with a bottle of neon hair dye. If it exists it should be fairly rare, just something else to help that market also. But again, I'll take it or leave it.
Status symbols are for WoW. Back in the old days, if you wanted respect, you earned it, not flashed some hair color or some item. Thats how a classic server should be. If you want people to know your name, you make sure they know it through deeds, not by sitting at the bank looking like a vegas show girl.

Eye crack is for mainstream games. UO was niche. Lets make it that way again.

U

Unsatisfied

Status symbols are for WoW. Back in the old days, if you wanted respect, you earned it, not flashed some hair color or some item. Thats how a classic server should be. If you want people to know your name, you make sure they know it through deeds, not by sitting at the bank looking like a vegas show girl.

Eye crack is for mainstream games. UO was niche. Lets make it that way again.
Trust me I did, and again I dont care either way.

L

Longest Journey

Stat loss is an acceptable penalty for going red. As for punishing PvP, the only way to do that would be to institute trammel, and we all know how that turned out.

They want repercussions for being red. Stat loss is better than trammel.

Dont see how stat loss is sugar coating it. It just makes becoming red more of a serious decision, something you have to think about and prepare for. Besides, its not like the stat loss is permanent. All reds will need to do is work the stats back up.

Also, stat loss is an old school idea as it was used back in the beginning.

U

Unsatisfied

What? Looked like a vegas show girl or earned respect through deeds? :lol:

Just messing with you.....
Mainly the 2nd, my hair was too short to look like a show girl.

Also, stat loss is an old school idea as it was used back in the beginning.
This is all you need to say in reply to him, if he thinks stat loss is sugar coating it and making it less classic then he wasnt really around in classic times anyway so his arguments about it not being true to classic UO are irrelevent.

L

Longest Journey

Wait, just to be sure, everyone agrees the classic server should be in the original 2d client, right? Because, to be honest, not only is the 2d completely classic, ist just looks better than the 3d client.

G

Gowron

This is where I dont agree, while 80-90% of the people currently playing their prodo shards may return to that. Theres still a large number of people who will be returning for this classic shard that wont leave because the "nostalgia" wore off, they will stay, and they are the players who will make up the bulk of this shard. Permanently.
I'm really curious what kind of insights and empirical evidence you have to be able to draw these conclusions. I'm not so optimistic that thousands of people who quit UO when AOS came will return in droves with the emergence of a Classic Shard.

Don't get me wrong, I might play on a Classic Shard, but unless I'm guaranteed not to lose houses on the prodo shards, I'm not inclined to make it a serious investment. This is the same reason I don't play on Siege.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

You know, I know that we said we were trying to keep this discussion civil, but if you are going to have people just pull crap out of their behinds instead of actually reading the posts, it is going to make it really difficult!

Guitano: I asked you before...what makes following the T2A ruleset a "candy land"??

Stop trolling this thread.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Wait, just to be sure, everyone agrees the classic server should be in the original 2d client, right? Because, to be honest, not only is the 2d completely classic, ist just looks better than the 3d client.
I would personally play the 2d client. I don't really care what anyone else does in that regard beause I don't have to look at it.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

As for neon colors:

That would probably be a deal breaker for me. I always thought that the addition of that kind of stuff ruined the aesthetic appeal of the game.

Custom housing:

I am really on the fence on this one...but it would not be a deal breaker.

Factions:

If you had Order/Chaos...what would be the point?

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Custom housing:

I am really on the fence on this one...but it would not be a deal breaker.
I loved it, one of the best additions in game.

Factions:

If you had Order/Chaos...what would be the point?
I really enjoyed being a Faction crafter back when Factions started. I also had both A faction tag and Chaos/Order tag. But If Factions did not make it, I wouldn't mind as long as there were Chaos/Order.

A big current UO thing would be Quest's, And the revival of the talking Npc's.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could make something so appealing that noone would even think about complaining about any issue. The server would crash because it has too many people on...

They'd have to put up a queue like WOW or buy a brand new server farm.

When my murderer Brainbug died I had 3.5 million bounty (I was second on the list next to the evil GM trapped box tinker lol), I would retell the story but I don't want to make this post about me, my lack of self-importance and the fact I must not be known by the public who would play on such a shard to make it fair is essentially why.

I lost 10% of my skills... easily build stats back up ? With over 3000 murder counts under the collar and over 150 peopls (yes I got ganked by 150 people at Leiha's Rune Library) very angry and looking for me because my only true friend from back then Nick-of-Time had managed to get my head in that laggy mess that was my death scene.

Forget it... when Brainbug died, he was done with. It represented many months of investment to bring his back up to a competitive level, that is if I did not die again while training.

It was simply too much, the hackers should have been targetted individually and the reds who fought fairly in dungeons often outnumbered should have been rewarded... if you guys start your server and have no opposition of magnitude, you're going to find it boring and it's never going to catch on.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is great!!!

-Pre-AOS
-NO trammel
-NO power scrolls
-NO transfers from production shards
-NO lands from expansions after T2A at server birth. Expansions may be available later.
-T2A era ruleset, skills and spells
-T2A era weapon and armor types
-T2A era monster and treasure chest loot tables
-T2A era stat loss for PK'ers
-T2A era other penalties for PK'ers (can't enter towns, newbied items drop to corpse, etc)
-post-T2A era secure storage in houses and skill locks
-Order/Chaos consensual combat system

But could use,

:pub 15 follower spots.
:Com deeds.
:Stack-able items.
:The few virtues we have./all need to be done on all shards lol.
:Texas law housing rules/No Private Houses/Need to be refreshed 14-21 days before colapse.
:All vet rewards except Soulstones.
:Quests

Me being greedy for once :p
Now a lot has been said about expansions, But I think Ilshenar would be a good addition, Turn off recall/gate into Ilsh,Recalling away for blues with no murder counts from anywhere, should always be an option be it spell or scroll. The land has mostly the same Monsters as Britannia, Every good hunting place needs to be walked to and from(for some with counts), there is no housing, Plus its Pre AOS so can be considered "Classic". Place a GZ around the garg city. That land mass is great fun with out the trammel ruleset.Just something to consider.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Ridable polar bears? Really? Also, some of the ethereal mounts wouldn't even have NPC counterparts anymore.

Gotta go with no on this one personally.

Now a lot has been said about expansions, But I think Ilshenar would be a good addition, Turn off recall/gate into Ilsh,Recalling away for blues with no murder counts from anywhere, should always be an option be it spell or scroll. The land has mostly the same Monsters as Britannia, Every good hunting place needs to be walked to and from(for some with counts), there is no housing, Plus its Pre AOS so can be considered "Classic". Place a GZ around the garg city. That land mass is great fun with out the trammel ruleset.Just something to consider.
Eventually, if the shard had enough population, I could see adding the land mass from Ilshenar...but none of that Todd McFarlane garbage...seriously.

I would think that in the begining, the land mass should be kept as small as possible to encourage community and interaction rather than solo play. That's why I advocate for the original (launch) land mass only at first.

G

georgemarvin2001

@Ahuaeyjnkxs: Keeping stat loss doesn't mean making UO a "candy land". Far from it. UO had stat loss from the very earliest days through T2A. Back then, being a red meant something. The best reds were practically legendary, and players knew to run if they saw them. I know that you hated losing the character, but didn't love the fact that your very name gave the majority of the blue population a sense of dread and awe? That blues would see you from a screen away and start running, or recall out? That your name was cursed by whole guilds of anti-PKers?

The very point of stat loss and lots of other penalties for being red was to make life hard for reds. Being a successful red character was something that only a real hardcore gamer with exceptional skills could do.

Being a successful red was something that a lot of players were very proud of. Take Vader, for instance. He was red, and he survived for years. I think somebody paid like 10 million for his head, and put it on display when he finally died, back when gold sold for $100 per million on eBay, because it was a piece of UO history. He was a real UO legend, and was worshipped in death, as he had been feared in life.

Yeah, being a red and dying usually meant something very close to perma-death. And that was part of the game. You had to be one of the best players in the game to turn red. You were both feared and respected. You were a legend.

You had to pick your targets, and you knew when to run away. Taking out stat loss was one of the things that helped to turn UO into candy land. T2A without stat loss wouldn't be T2A.

In today's game, I returned to UO last fall, after a year and a half absence. I had to join faction, then kill a bunch of enemy factioners just to get the faction gear that you need to play effectively these days. Even my PvM characters joined, because that gear is a lot better than anything you can get any other way.

One of the first things I saw was that most of the reds today are practically clueless, in terms of actual survival skills in an old school environment. I had to join a PvP guild for my own survival in Felucca these days, so I found out that PvP today doesn't resemble PvP during the classic era. Practically everybody runs a script that casts their spells for them and throws their pots for them. It does everything but wipe their noses for them. They die every 5 minutes. And they kill everything in sight, whether it's enemy factioners, enemy guild members, members of their own faction, or even fellow guild members who got a scroll they wanted. There isn't any reason to be careful. There isn't any reason to choose their targets. There isn't any reason not to commit mass murder. There isn't any reason to think before they attack. They raid every single champ spawn that a trammy guild tries to work, the second that the champ pops. They have faction gear, which gives them a huge equipment advantage over the trammies, in an equipment-dominated game. They have all the power scrolls, because the trammies aren't allowed to ever finish a champ spawn. The trammies do all the work, the PvP faction guilds get all the scrolls. Then the faction guilds slaughter each other for them and put them on their Luna vendors for the Trammie guild to buy. A lot of the richest trammies do have skills at legendary, but they have to do a LOT of gold farming to get them.

In the old days, a group of reds might stage a raid, but they didn't just kill everything that moved. Death for them meant severe penalties, maybe even character death. What stat loss did was it made the reds careful. It meant that they were mostly real hardcore gamers with a lot of experience and battle skills, not some script kiddie with a penchant for mass murder.

In a T2A environment, most script kiddies today would work for weeks to make a 7x GM red character, die in a matter of minutes, suffer stat loss, figure out that once they had suffered stat loss once, as a red at just 80 skills, they were sitting ducks for every blue in the game, either delete the character or sit out their timer to turn blue, depending on how many counts they had, then become more careful about how often they indulged in a murder spree. The average AOS PKer might keep 3 or 4 short term murders on his character in a T2A world, but he would be really careful about his targets, to keep it under 5. Out of the hundreds of reds on Atlantic today, I could probably count on my fingers the number of them that are really skilled, and could operate as reds in a T2A environment. Most of the reds today might have 10,000 murder counts, but they have also died 50,000 times. When they figured out that death had meaning in the T2A world, they would have second thoughts about playing a mass murderer who attacked everybody they saw, on sight.

In short, Evocare's decision to remove stat loss and all of the other penalties for red characters was part of what turned UO into a "candy land". It existed pre-T2A. It was still there during the T2A era. PvP was alive and well back then. So was PvM. And crafting worked pretty well, too. With only the best players becoming reds, we didn't have the mess that is Felucca today, where it's practically insta-death for any blue who dares to step out of a moongate.

S

Skylocke

I pretty much agree with everything listed in the consensus of classic UO rules listed. There are a few things which came in later that would be nice to keep around if possible, and some things which haven't been brought up much:

-Keep stackable items (I hated having a bag of 50 assorted potions everywhere)

-Remove bank checks! People should need to lug around money every now and then to buy stuff. Checks just seem to encourage gold selling for real money.

-Keep quivers around, but make them not add any real stat bonuses other than weight reduction. Archers are already punished by having to lug around ammo, might as well let them have a little extra space in their pack.

-Bring back leg jerky. Seriously.

-Have it EC friendly as well as 2d friendly. I doubt this would be a problem anyways.

-Housing is a bugbear for me. I wish that it would be more limited. I hate walking through what is supposed to be a forest and actually it is nothing but urban sprawl. Housing should be limited to around major cities and in certain areas out in the wilds, but not everywhere. But this is just me and whatever happens, happens.

-If a classic shard is made or whatever, for the love of god, advertise it so people know!!!!

U

Unsatisfied

I'm really curious what kind of insights and empirical evidence you have to be able to draw these conclusions. I'm not so optimistic that thousands of people who quit UO when AOS came will return in droves with the emergence of a Classic Shard.

Don't get me wrong, I might play on a Classic Shard, but unless I'm guaranteed not to lose houses on the prodo shards, I'm not inclined to make it a serious investment. This is the same reason I don't play on Siege.
Theres no guarenteed evidence, unfortunately I think that it impossible, its just the impression i get after talking to hundreds of friends/random people on free shards about what they would do and what their friends would do if such a shard opened up.

Ridable polar bears? Really? Also, some of the ethereal mounts wouldn't even have NPC counterparts anymore.

I agree with a no to vet rewards, or a serious re work of them not only for ethies, but for house deco items... Isnt there like a workable ankh or something now? screw giving people that in their house.

Also I dont think black dye tubs and stuff should be that easily attainable, if we have black dye tubs on the classic shard they should be distributed like they were in the old days, by some kind of event and therefor be rare.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Eventually, if the shard had enough population, I could see adding the land mass from Ilshenar...but none of that Todd McFarlane garbage...seriously.

I would think that in the begining, the land mass should be kept as small as possible to encourage community and interaction rather than solo play. That's why I advocate for the original (launch) land mass only at first.
Agreed completely.. Ethereals are so ****ing ridiculous... they killed the unmounted combat... Nothing should be bonded... All bonded animals should be gone.. Cry all you want tamers it ruined the game when all your risk was taken away.

Buying horses over and over got so much gold out of the game it was amazing.. After that,, saving money was way too easy...

As for the more lands... blah.. anything outside of the original Britannia sucked.. You could make an argument for t2a because its not really all that big and you can't place houses there.. I really think it would be better with out it tho.

They should just change some of the spawns in the dungeons and maybe add a few more dungeons.

G

georgemarvin2001

I don't think there will be much problem with word getting around. The forum mods are busily deleting threads about the return of UO on everything from Darkfall and D&D online to dozens of the generic MMORPG websites. The mere mention of EA bringing UO back to life after its 7+ year hiatus is giving the mods of hundreds of free shards a heart attack. Not to mention that there is a lot of in-game buzz about the return UO to the gaming community among the 161,000 plus players of one extremely popular pre-AOS hybrid free shard that I've been "researching" for the past couple of weeks, ever since a couple of people mentioned its existence in the first discussion of a classic shard, and in a couple of pure T2A era shards that several members of my guild on Atlantic mentioned that they spend most of their time playing.

I don't know if any of the half million plus people on the free shards will come back, or if any of the people who quit UO during the post-AOS mass exodus in 2003-2004 and are now playing modern MMOs with brand new graphics, interfaces and game engines, but still miss their first MMO, UO, of which they still speak with awe and fond recollections. I know that it's doubtful that many of them would give up the great new 2010 graphics on today's games to play on UO's 13 year old interface, but it's good to know that just the very remote possibility that the UO they so fondly remember is coming back to life, after a 7+ year hiatus, is attracting a lot of buzz and giving the moderators of a lot of competitors' forums a hard time.

I won't post any of the forum topics from competing games (the ones I saw have a tendency to get deleted pretty fast, anyway. We're supposed to be there to discuss THEIR games, not UO.), but here are a few from mmorpg fansites.
http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=18776.0
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/12/view/forums/post/3419140#3419140
http://www.mpog.com/gamelist.cfm/game/12/view/forums/post/3450370#3450370

It doesn't take much for word to get out. After all, UO has 600,000 players in over 100 countries. Even after 13 years, it is one of the most popular MMORPGs on the market, with a larger player base than practically anything short of WoW. The fact that only 75,000 of them play on the official EA shards doesn't mean that the other 500,000 plus current UO players scattered across hundreds of free shards ceased to exist. Or that the hundreds of thousands of former UO players, who are now playing other games, ceased to exist, either. They're still out there. And they still miss UO.

Now for a confession: I actually don't miss it so much anymore; my research into the free shards has paid off pretty well. I have only logged into Atlantic to restock my vendors a couple of times in the last couple of weeks. My new home is now adorned with the heads of a dozen enemies. A certain mage is fighting, and winning, in just plain GM made clothes. And a novice thief has acquired a whole bank box full of vanqs and invul armor, which a future warrior will get a lot of use out of. I would still love to see a real classic shard, though. And I will probably continue to support the official UO whether I'm actually playing there or not. However, from the amount of fun I'm having, if we don't get a real classic shard, it looks like it's more likely to be "not".

L

Longest Journey

But could use,

No.

:Com deeds.
No

:Stack-able items
Items were always stackable.

:The few virtues we have./all need to be done on all shards lol.
No

:Texas law housing rules/No Private Houses/Need to be refreshed 14-21 days
before colapse.
No. T2A housing rules.

No, dye tubs and deco items ONLY! The armored clothing and ethereal mounts threw the game out of balance.

Hell no.

Possibly, but only if the classic shards populations increase enough.

L

Longest Journey

I could make something so appealing that noone would even think about complaining about any issue. The server would crash because it has too many people on...

They'd have to put up a queue like WOW or buy a brand new server farm.

When my murderer Brainbug died I had 3.5 million bounty (I was second on the list next to the evil GM trapped box tinker lol), I would retell the story but I don't want to make this post about me, my lack of self-importance and the fact I must not be known by the public who would play on such a shard to make it fair is essentially why.

I lost 10% of my skills... easily build stats back up ? With over 3000 murder counts under the collar and over 150 peopls (yes I got ganked by 150 people at Leiha's Rune Library) very angry and looking for me because my only true friend from back then Nick-of-Time had managed to get my head in that laggy mess that was my death scene.

Forget it... when Brainbug died, he was done with. It represented many months of investment to bring his back up to a competitive level, that is if I did not die again while training.
Then you should have killed in moderation instead of racking up kills so high in one term as a red.

You got overzealous and you paid for it.

Sounds to me like stat loss IS an effective deterrant and balancer to the system.

It was simply too much, the hackers should have been targetted individually and the reds who fought fairly in dungeons often outnumbered should have been rewarded... if you guys start your server and have no opposition of magnitude, you're going to find it boring and it's never going to catch on.
Oh, there will be opposition and plenty of it. We just wont be seeing people with 3.5 million bounties on their head because they went kill crazy. It'll seperate the real murderers and PKs from the kill hungry insta-gratification junkies.

Besides, not everyone who kills goes red. Remember the old rule. One kill you go grey, kill again while grey, you go red.

G

georgemarvin2001

I just thought about something that is a post-T2A MUST HAVE for crafters: No murder counts for tinkers who make trapped boxes!!!

A tinker shouldn't have a multi-million-gold-bounty and perma-red status, when he doesn't have the combat skills to kill a mongbat.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No.

No

Items were always stackable.

No

No. T2A housing rules.

No, dye tubs and deco items ONLY! The armored clothing and ethereal mounts threw the game out of balance.

Hell no.

Possibly, but only if the classic shards populations increase enough.
All items weren't always stackable. Potions in particular. Tbh I'd rather them not be stackable.. I like looting :)

I agree with no pub 15 followers, those are pretty dumb... but I think tamer pets should not be bondable.

I agree with the no private housing garbage.. and there should be any access or **** either.. Those really ruined a big part of the game.

I'd get rid of all the rewards accept dye tubs (as long as there is no florescent colors in game) and deco items. Maybe the 3 ar robes and cloaks. If their are going to be axers than there should definitely be 3 ar robes.

Don't care if quests are in or out..

No Ish,, that **** is weak..

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just thought about something that is a post-T2A MUST HAVE for crafters: No murder counts for tinkers who make trapped boxes!!!

A tinker shouldn't have a multi-million-gold-bounty and perma-red status, when he doesn't have the combat skills to kill a mongbat.
Yeah they should.. Exp boxes kill ppl, that is their purpose.. To kill ppl.

L

Longest Journey

your heart is in the right place, but the idea itself isnt a good one.

Heres why:

Youre basically giving people a penalty free way of killing other players. They should still get murder counts, definitely, but no bounty.

The bounty system should be forgotten all together. It was too easily exploited and there was no way to prevent reds from profiting from it. So, scrap the bounty system.

If players feel the urge to post their own bounties, then leave up the bounty boards in towns and let players put up private bounties on people. But the official bounty system was too flawed and too exploitable.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

That's like saying guns kill people. The fact is, the PERSON using a gun kills people. I agree. Tinkers make a trap, just like blacksmiths make a weapon. You don't assign a kill to a smith that made a sword do you?

And yes...I understand this is not 'classic'...but really, in this day and age of 3d graphics, and spam bots, and freakin' ad agencies that know I bought a house IRL, is there really no way we can track who bought and used these things? Really?

A Tinker is usually just a person that made a weapon and sold it. Make it so that the tink is not responsible if he/she sold the trap...really.

L

Longest Journey

All items weren't always stackable. Potions in particular. Tbh I'd rather them not be stackable.. I like looting :)

I agree with no pub 15 followers, those are pretty dumb... but I think tamer pets should not be bondable.

I agree with the no private housing garbage.. and there should be any access or **** either.. Those really ruined a big part of the game.

I'd get rid of all the rewards accept dye tubs (as long as there is no florescent colors in game) and deco items. Maybe the 3 ar robes and cloaks. If their are going to be axers than there should definitely be 3 ar robes.

Don't care if quests are in or out..

No Ish,, that **** is weak..
I have to disagree with the robes and cloaks. they were blessed and gave an easy armor boost. They'll eventually become a necessity in combat. So, no armored clothing. Just deco items and frivolous things, things that cannot affect game play.

Armor was the price you paid to gain the power of 2h weapons, just like it was the price mages paid to wield their magics.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I say screw Vet Rewards.

IF THE DEVS WANT TO REWARD US VETS...THEN DO IT WITH A CLASSIC SHARD GODSDAMMIT!!!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* Be cool...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am not saying she does not have a point. Just be cool... Like Fonzie.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Always.

How are you anyway you old dog? Come see me sometime...
I am good. *winks* Even though I believe a Classic shard might end my game, I encourage those that feel passionately for it to pursue their dreams.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I am not saying she does not have a point. Just be cool... Like Fonzie.
That greaser?

Come on, every girl loves a good dishwasher.

Join us Kelmo...you know you want to! I can see it in your avatar! This current UO is killing you like it is all of us.

A bright, clean, and challenging new world awaits us all! And I know, I KNOW, you would be there to see it. You can't say you wouldn't. All of us 'old school' players would.

We need to let the devs know...its time. It's time to give up competing with WoW, its time to let it all go. They are a new team...and the only thing that will keep them on the cutting edge is...us.

A Classic Shard would give us all a new hope (gods that's cliche!)

And it would exalt UO over the competition in a way that nothing else could!

Imagine being able to see Led Zeppelin live...the original band!! Or the Police! (oh wait, that happened a few years ago, and was the top grossing tour of ALL TIME!!)

Classic Shard = Police tour devs...don't be old Sting! Give us what we want!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I am finally feeling it. I think we can do this, if we just unite!

A Classic Shard is with our reach. I gave up for a while, and got discouraged, but the compromise I have seen in the last few days makes me believe again!

Come on Devs...MAKE US ALL BELIEVE AGAIN! YOU HAVE THE POWER TO DO IT!

I know you will, because deep down, you had to believe yourself, or you would not be working on UO!

And if you are working for a paycheck...I understand that...we all do, but imagine if you were a missionary saving a dying people! We ARE THAT PEOPLE!

Talk to your bosses! Explain it to them! UO ... IS the community!!!! It always was!!

We want it.

Do it!

We won't disappoint you!

Besides...what else have you got to do? Build a new "expansion"?

Be someone that DID SOMETHING...not someone that just did something...get it?

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would agree with custom housing on a classic shard only if it was original tiles myself, nothing that is post-aos tiles like gargoyles or tokuno housing..

If we brought back old housing rules and GUILDSTONES, I am absolutely sure that people would make their houses look, GOOD, because they would actually have to put them to good use..

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

About now...anything would look "good" on a Classic Shard...wouldn't it? I am becoming open to more and more things that I thought I would never be open to...just because I want a Classic Shard.

If it doesn't affect gameplay...why not?

(no neons though dammit!) :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am going all in on the last ditch effort to save Siege. I am not so hopeful... I have spent the better part of seven years there. I have been a mayor, a thief, a murderer, a vigilante... so many things.

Now I am a farmer. Really... I grow plants. My faction thief picks stuff off the ground now. My chiv archer, still in factions... I don't know why anymore. They tell me I have to a stealth archer to really win... stealth is for thieves.

I have four characters I play.(that means at least four accounts where I play) Only one has hide/stealth. My retired faction thief. He my main plant guy now. I really have no purpose for growing plants other than it is fun in a solo game sort of way. Kinda like being being a faction thief these days. Except plants have more reward.

Kelmo, is a crafter. He can hide that is it. Oh yeah, He can make stuff.

Chiv archer and a mage (i suck at mages) round out my four I play.

I have one other account that is reserved for as a house holding account. At one point I was playing Siege and some one mentioned adv aced character tokens were working on Siege.

I of course said "no way!" Then I went and tested it. Sure enough... I made an advanced tamer. Many of us raised hell. It was fixed fairly quickly, considering.

I have never wanted to play a tamer. (yet) Tamers was the first step...

Not the old school tamers. The tamers with pets that, well, Some of those newer pets are tough.

wow wall of text! *enters and goes back to typing*

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
About now...anything would look "good" on a Classic Shard...wouldn't it? I am becoming open to more and more things that I thought I would never be open to...just because I want a Classic Shard.

If it doesn't affect gameplay...why not?

(no neons though dammit!) :)
I agree here with the whole neon thing, never liked the neon colors.. As far as vet rewards go, the dye tubs are real nice, I love my leather dye tub (it dyes clothes for some reason) but it just wouldn't be possible I think, vet rewards would have to go I think, unless you had like 3 vet rewards every month or so, so they are not super over-priced, and that everyone could use them, so we wouldn't all have to wait a year..

L

Longest Journey

So, its looking something like this:

-The Second Age rulesets
-Stat loss for reds
-Long term murder counts
-T2A magic weapons
-T2A magic armor
-T2A Magic items/wands (fireball wands, invis rings, blessing cloaks, magic reflect tribal masks etc)
-T2A skill gains (Pre power hour)
-T2A classic housing
-No Trammel
-Lost Lands and Britannia only
-**Logical upgrades to the crafting system (for details, see below)
-Necessary fixes for bugs and glitches for that era
-T2A housing rules (lock downs and secure containers)
-Good aligned NPCs that attack reds
-T2A magic system
-T2A item rules
-Vet rewards, but only dye tubs or deco items.
-More stackable items (IE potions)
-Bring back Guildstones
-skill and stat locks

**The crafting upgrades are as follows:

-Tailors will be able to make bone armor as well as repair it along with leather armor

-Bow crafters will be able to repair bows

-Carpenters will be able to craft all staff weapons as well as clubs and repair them along with wooden shields

These upgrades are logical and were requested in T2A, but never implimented until it was too late.

-No powerscrolls
-no runic tools
-no BODS
-no control slots
-no pet bonding
-no item insurance
-no bless deeds or blessed items
-no ethereal mounts
-no neon colors
-no bounty system
---------------------------

Comments? Agreements? Anything?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Well, I could go on... I will not derail this thread. Sorry, just feeling a bit sentimental.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I am going all in on the last ditch effort to save Siege. I am not so hopeful...
Siege WAS the Classic Shard until AoS...but someone decide to make it a shard that was a Fel only AoS shard. Now it is dying.

That's terrible. I wish that Siege could be reverted. I would imagine that most Siege players would agree.

I cannot prove that, just like I can't prove that a Classic Shard would be successful...but I will say this...

Siege is on my 'cause list'.

If there is going to be a Classic Shard, Siege needs a revert as well.

Devs, some of us cherish our roots. And Siege players are probably top on that list.

Classic Shard...and then a Siege revert if that works.

I know some Siege players will disagree...but I think the player numbers speak for themselves!

Siege players are the old school of the old school, and EA has screwed them more than all of us because of the work they put in.

I don't know how many current Siege players there are...but I imagine that at least a few...several...would migrate to a Classic Shard.

So let's do it!

Launch it...and we will come.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, its looking something like this:

-The Second Age rulesets
-Stat loss for reds
-Long term murder counts
-T2A magic weapons
-T2A magic armor
-T2A Magic items/wands (fireball wands, invis rings, blessing cloaks, magic reflect tribal masks etc)
-T2A skill gains (Pre power hour)
-T2A classic housing
-No Trammel
-Lost Lands and Britannia only
-**Logical upgrades to the crafting system (for details, see below)
-Necessary fixes for bugs and glitches for that era
-T2A housing rules (lock downs and secure containers)
-Good aligned NPCs that attack reds
-T2A magic system
-T2A item rules
-Vet rewards, but only dye tubs or deco items.
-More stackable items (IE potions)
-Bring back Guildstones

**The crafting upgrades are as follows:

-Tailors will be able to make bone armor as well as repair it along with leather armor

-Bow crafters will be able to repair bows

-Carpenters will be able to craft all staff weapons as well as clubs and repair them along with wooden shields

These upgrades are logical and were requested in T2A, but never implimented until it was too late.

-No powerscrolls
-no runic tools
-no BODS
-no control slots
-no pet bonding
-no item insurance
-no bless deeds or blessed items
-no ethereal mounts
-no neon colors
-no bounty system
---------------------------

Comments? Agreements? Anything?
I basically agree with this 100%

I would still like to see custom Pre-AoS housing though(original tiles, no Tokuno or Gargoyle housing)

As far as runic tools ago, they were NOT around during Pre-AoS times, but if you craft things during a pre-aos shard that is a runic, then you would end up crafting the best magical items in the game, but you only have a limit, so in other words, if you crafted a BRONZE runic, you would end up with a Exceptional/Fortification/Might/Surpassingly Accurate. And it would always be the same weapon with a bronze hammer.. If you had a Valorite Hammer, you would get a Exceptional/Indestructible/Vanquishing/Eminently Accurate.. ALWAYS, it wouldn't be any better, or any weaker..

We couldn't craft magical weapons back in the day and the ones we got had to be identified...

L

Longest Journey

I basically agree with this 100%

As far as runic tools ago, they were NOT around during Pre-AoS times, but if you craft things during a pre-aos shard that is a runic, then you would end up crafting the best magical items in the game, but you only have a limit, so in other words, if you crafted a BRONZE runic, you would end up with a Exceptional/Fortification/Might/Surpassingly Accurate. And it would always be the same weapon with a bronze hammer.. If you had a Exceptional/Indestructible/Vanquishing/Eminently Accurate.. ALWAYS, it wouldn't be any better, or any weaker..
The problem with the runic crafting tools was that they hurt treasure hunters and fishermen. Being able to sell vanq weapons they dug or fished up was their life's blood. Runic tools hurt that because smiths could just make them.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*sighs* I believe we are way below the rader.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with the runic crafting tools was that they hurt treasure hunters and fishermen. Being able to sell vanq weapons they dug or fished up was their life's blood. Runic tools hurt that because smiths could just make them.
I am just saying, that is what it would be like with runic tools, you could craft the best magical items in the game.. rolleyes:

I don't necessarily want it, I just wanted to experiment with it, and I did..

Status
Not open for further replies.