• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] An Interview with JP "GrimmOmen" Harrod

Community News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

An Interview with JP "GrimmOmen" Harrod

Many have known GrimmOmen and his work on on the art side of UO. What some may not realize is the title change and direction he has taken within the team. We asked GrimmOmen for a bit of his time this week to update us on his end of UO development and in return was given some very well thought out and honest answers. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I have.

As a refresher for some new to the community can you tell us a bit of your personal history with UO as a gamer?

Well, I played through several of the later versions of Ultima many years before, but I didn't start playing UO until I was hired on by EA as an artist for UO. But since then, I've put in a LOT of time playing UO. I haven't been playing though for a while. Life and work responsibilities have curtailed my game playing in general. For the record, I play a Mage, Smith, and Thief (yes, a thief) on LS Shard (but I don't use Grimm, FYI, so don't go looking to hunt me down!!!) - And I play both Tram and Fel.

Where did you get your start in art development?

A loooong time ago, actually. Got an associates degree in graphic design from a community college, went to the Academy of Art in San Francisco. But most of my art experience has been on the job. I did layout and paste-up (yea, with actual WAX and PICTURES, before digital cameras!) at a small weekly ad magazine in San Luis Obispo. Then I worked as an IT guy at a small media company in San Francisco. Then I got my first gig as a game artist back in, like, '97 or 98. Worked with a company called 3DO for a while (where I first met CatHat). There I worked on platforms ranging from N64 to Playstation to PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, and PC. Then I did some contracting work for NVIDIA, then did some work for the US Army (again with CatHat), and then on to UO where eventually my path crossed yet again with CatHats.
That's my work history in a nutshell.

We have seen your title change from Art Director to CG Supervisor. Can you lay out what you did and what you are doing now?

Well, since my start with UO, I've gone from Character Artist, to Character Lead, to Art Director, to Associate CG Supervisor.

I started out doing the concept art and making the armor and some of the weapons for Samurai Empire. at that time I also started updating the tools the animators were using to process animations for the creatures. Those animators really had it rough then. After UOSE, I had done so much work on the tools for animations, and had learned so much of the character pipeline, I was made character lead. From that point on, I worked to streamline the pipeline and make the character folks job as easy on them as possible. When you don't have to spend half your time just getting assets into a game, you can use that time to make the art better. And that is the direction we have been heading in since. I was Art Director for UOML and learned a lot of valuable lessons there (although I was happy to bring back the old UO spiders and gouls), then chose to go back into character lead for UOKR which is still the most ambitious project I've ever worked on - honestly, I'd prefer to never go through something like that again. It was tough. I stayed on as Character Lead for most of UOSA, and just before the transition to Mythic, I moved into the Associate CG Supervisor role for Ultima where I've been the UO art Yoda ever since (mostly cause I talk backwards a lot).

Creating and maintaining a living art pipeline is definitely a full-time job in itself. I'm actually amazed at how far we've come since I started with UO. Generally speaking, since UOSE, the art pipeline has been completely overhauled with every expansion since. This means that how we did things for UOSE was completely different from how we did things in UOML, UOKR, and UOSA. The pipeline was, if not completely different, ay least substantially different that required new tools and tool overhauls. Fortunately, getting art in the game keeps getting easier, so we're heading in the right direction.

When we get new artists in, I always hear something like this "You know, I thought that since UO was, like 12 years old and a 2D game, that this would be a piece of cake. It's WAaaay harder than I thought." A lot of folks don't realize that we have all the artistic and technical challenges of game development sprinkled with all the problems and challenges of an animated series. Just with animations alone, most modern games animators just do the animations to aesthetic guidelines and let the engineers worry about animation compression. But since we work with actual rendered frames, we have to count every frame because it translates to larger file sizes, and larger patch sizes. When we add something in UO, I usually do a cost analysis so that we know that adding X number of assets translates into an XXX increase in on-disk footprint. I even go into each animation of each asset and figure out how to optimize our rendered frame count to save as much disk space as possible. In addition, I had to write a custom render farm-like application that would allow me to process (render out) the colossal number of frames for UOKR and again for UOSA. For the EC client for UOSA alone, I rendered out and processed over 1.3 million frames of animation several times over - this is the frame count equivalent of about 20 episodes (roughly one season) of an animated series getting rendered out several times over in the course of development.

Using hindsight, are there items you would have done differently if you could have seen where the game is now?

Well, it's always a balance of time and resources, isn't it? But there are plenty of things I wish I had done differently. Most of them are around UOML. I wish I had fought harder about making Elves truly unique (as I did with Gargs - although Gargs got changed again after I left the Lead Character Artist position for UOSA). I also wish I had the time and resources to do 2D and 3D versions of the creatures for UOML. At that time we were strapped for help and following the in-place process of just making the 3D client versions of assets and using those for the 2D client. This is why you see creatures like the Kraken in the Legacy client that's all low-poly. I also wish I had played a closer role in the creation of Heartwood.
But as I said, it's always a balance of time and resources, and you don't always get to do what you want to do, so the best you can do is be a good student and learn from your mistakes and try your best not to recreate them going forward.

The way the community responds to change seems to run the pendulum back and forth to extremes from not enough to too much change. How do you temper that feedback for both clients?

Well, feedback from the community comes in different flavors. In my opinion, I see comments as fitting into a few categories: True Good (Nothing but positive honesty i.e. "Go Team!"), Neutral Good (Polite, but honest Critiques i.e. "I don't like that XXX works XXX way. Why did you guys do that?"), and Chaotic Good (Rants, not terribly politic, but honest - but comes from a place of love for UO). I think, like 90 or 95 percent of feedback falls into these three categories, but there are those that fall into the "Chaotic Neutral" category of just ranting for ranting sake, or people taking advantage of anonymity to be mean spirited and destructive. I generally just put them on my ignore list which is a shame since this means that if they do post a genuine question that I might be able to help out with, it'll go unheard. Fortunately, though, I only have about 3 people on my ignore list in my 6 years of Development on UO. So that's not to bad.

As for the range of comments, you take the good with the bad. If they're good, take the pat on the back, but don't let it go to your head. If it's negative - you just have to evaluate what is said to see if it's accurate or applicable, and make changes if so, if not, I think it's good form to at least acknowledge the difference in opinion. As for the Chaotic Neutral comments, I think it's still a good idea to look through them. Sometimes there are good ideas in them even if they are surrounded in "unpleasantries."

We've seen more artistic design with each new holiday, not "borrowed" graphics from previous items retagged with a different name. Any hints on what's in store this year?

No, no hints, but it's always been a thorn in our side to have to reuse past art. But again, it's an issue of time a resources. We've actually had a lot of fun putting together the items for Christmas and Valentines Day, and we've been very happy at the reactions.

Are there any pet projects you would focus on given the time?

Oh yea, plenty of stuff I'd like to do. Male paper doll revamps are in the works, plus other stuff that I can't talk about, but will hopefully be totally cool. I'd love to spend more time on the EC's UI.

Lastly and I think most importantly..how are the bagpipes coming along? *winks*

Well, I just finished my new album, "Cat Flogging and Other Sounds Pipes We're Not Meant to Make." LOL! Seriously though, they're coming along great. Learning the pipes is something I've wanted to do for years, and as you know, my wife sprang for my new set of Wallace pipes in December, so I've been getting used to em. It's like learning 2 different instruments: the practice chanter and the pipes. The playing dynamics are totally different when you have to concentrate on playing the song, breathing air in the bag at regular intervals, and making sure you're applying the right pressure so your drones don't pitch or cut out all together. The men and women who have been playing these things for years make it look easy, and I hate them for it. ;-)

It's also been cool learning piping from a historical perspective. One thing that I think is really special is the fact that for hundreds of years, piping music was passed from teacher to student by ear. So once written music came to piping, they kinda had to shoehorn the songs in to the time signatures. So often you'll see songs written in or 6/8 time that are actually only "sorta" or 6/8 time. Then there are songs like piobaireachd which sometimes not even written with a time signature. To quote from Galaxy Quest " the controls are really more art than science." So this is why when you're learning new songs, you'll start with the timed signature to learning the note work, then once you have it down you're instructor will be like, "Ok, now here's how you really play it." Or in lots of cases you'll sing through a song to learn how to play it. It feels really steeped in history, and I enjoy it immensely. FYI, for the curious, an example of piobaireachd music can be heard here .
When I get a song to a place where I don't MIND being videoed, I'll post it to Youtube and send a link out via Stratics or something for the community to giggle over.

Thank you JP for taking the time out for the community to give us an update. We hope as the UO players read this and comment they keep in mind what category their opinions fall in.

- AirmidCecht
UO Stratics News Administrator and Friend

More...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice Read! Thanks Grimm :)

I only have about 3 people on my ignore list in my 6 years
I've been good lately, take me off there!!! LOL

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

For the EC client for UOSA alone, I rendered out and processed over 1.3 million frames of animation several times over - this is the frame count equivalent of about 20 episodes (roughly one season) of an animated series getting rendered out several times over in the course of development.

Good Lord, I hope he got combat pay for that :)

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

For the EC client for UOSA alone, I rendered out and processed over 1.3 million frames of animation several times over - this is the frame count equivalent of about 20 episodes (roughly one season) of an animated series getting rendered out several times over in the course of development.

Good Lord, I hope he got combat pay for that :)
I thought the same thing! I think I recall that being a trivia question somewhere. If not, it should be *smiles*

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good on ya Grim!

The SA stuff is all outstanding and I continue to have high hopes for work on the EC. You have my personal permission to revisit Heartwood any ol' time you darn well please.

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Grimm, any new animation sequences in the mix for combat and mounted combat? They havent changed since I started playing 12 years ago!

For example, the swing and sound of the hit timing most weapons (the sound is played and registered while the swing animation is a "follow thru" animation) OR mounted 1-handed swing animation of any 2-handed weapon.

And how about the possibility of animation for special moves (whirlwind comes to mind) and incorporating the newer explosion graphics seen only in EM-type events into regular game play?

PS I play LS, and have played there since opening day...heh, maybe I even know you!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well Grimm....

I've probably been in the Chaotic Good category for most of my UO time. I've always been outspoken about what I don't like.... not because I want to be a jerk... but because I truly have a passion for UO and I want it to be the best it can be.

That said... I'm incredibly hopeful for the male paperdoll. And I probably have very high hopes but that's because I very, very much love UO and I love my character. Who happens to be a male. (Yes I'm female and I play a male character more often than not .... following my sons wise logic... "If I have to stare at something all the time while I'm playing I may as well be looking at something good!") So I expect my character to look VERY good and I tend to get a bit upset when he doesn't.

As for the art... often times I find that things in UO are scaled far too LARGE... Take the woodland belt for instance.... looking at it on a female character it looks VERY nice... and it has a nice hang and flow to it... however.... on the male paperdoll .... it is too large... it doesn't hang very well at all... and it lacks the "pizzaz" that the female version has. I've heard it often referred to as looking like a diaper... sadly.

One thing I have a wish for.... would be the ability to "modify" items appearance.... so if I wanted I could take my hunters headdress and "modify" it to be a circlet... Or a floppy hat if I wanted... And I could take my crimson and let it be a woodland belt... I honestly wish that the crimson had art dependent on the race of your character.... Odd that it has art that shows dependent on your sex.... but it can't have art dependent on your race as well....

And while others may like to see their headgear.... I miss my circlets. I truly hate seeing a dead deer on my head.

And I know I'm not alone but I miss clothes... I miss being able to wear pants. I wish someone would work on and address the layering issues with clothes. Really why do we have pants and short pants if you can't wear them without sacrificing armor... And gargoyles..... while I love! their outfits.... got the raw end of the stick deal when it comes to missing out on arties.... Can't wear the new soles of Provence.... can't wear a crimson..... can't wear any of the nice headgear.... it's rather sad.

C

canary

Off topic, but to Malag's post...

It would be a neat gold sink to allow an item to have the properties of one item and the look of another in the same 'item slot'. In other words, if you LOVE the function of, say, Brightsight Lenses but want to wear a closed helm. That would be a VERY nice idea, imo.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
MalagAste,

I read your post with particular interest because it all becomes a personal connection with us. We develop who we are in game and how we look is an extension of that.

Everything we do in UO is directly connected to what we see. Though content and playability are so important, what everything "looks" like take priority. The issue becomes what looks good to you may not look good to me, hehe. That is a balance not easily achieved. I'm just glad we have a UO team looking to achieve it.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Off topic, but to Malag's post...

It would be a neat gold sink to allow an item to have the properties of one item and the look of another in the same 'item slot'. In other words, if you LOVE the function of, say, Brightsight Lenses but want to wear a closed helm. That would be a VERY nice idea, imo.
I've never been a fan of this for some reason. I've always liked that you get an item and work with it even if it works against you *grins*

C

canary

I've never been a fan of this for some reason. I've always liked that you get an item and work with it even if it works against you *grins*
Ehn, one of UO's strengths has always been the ability to customize things. Should things like armor and weapons be any different? It is only aesthetic and doesn't affect gameplay. If it makes someone happy (like Malag discussing the circlet) why not?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ehn, one of UO's strengths has always been the ability to customize things. Should things like armor and weapons be any different? It is only aesthetic and doesn't affect gameplay. If it makes someone happy (like Malag discussing the circlet) why not?
Agreed! The ability of UO to conform to your imagination is one of the things that makes it so much better than ANYTHING else on the market... and it's continued to be above and beyond anything else... despite is highly outdated engine and graphics.

But I've always liked the way UO looks.... in 2d.

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great interview and refreshing to read such detailed answers instead of the vague diplomatic answers you'll often find in interviews like these. Sounds like Grimm has been through quite a bit in his UO years so far and I can't say I envy the tougher times. In the end it must be however so satisfying to have such a vocal and passionate group of players to do all this for. No matter which category they fall into, they're all passionate aren't they!

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice interview. I'm curious though. With the Feb 4, 2010 EC patch, I noticed that many of the graphics have a cleaner look when zoomed in. Yes, they are still pixelated, but the blurriness is not there like it was before. So what changed? Is this "cleanup" something that has to be done one piece of art at a time?

Most of the items in the screenshots look great zoomed in, especially at the 2:1(?) zoom level, even if there is some color distortion (house sign and mailbox flag). The demon pole and the house walls now seem out of place since they are blurry. When are the house walls/floor tiles getting fixed??? :D

The images are rather large (1.5-2mb). I didn't want to compress them.

EC fully zoomed in

EC zoomed in 2:1 (?)

EC zoomed in 1:1

It's nice to see improvements like this, even if they aren't mentioned in the notes...

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most of the items in the screenshots look great zoomed in, especially at the 2:1(?) zoom level, even if there is some color distortion (house sign and mailbox flag). The demon pole and the house walls now seem out of place since they are blurry. When are the house walls/floor tiles getting fixed??? :D
Honestly, I don't see any improvements. Game objects only do look nice in 1:1, and that's the zoom level I always am using. (Too bad there isn't an option to zoom to 1:1 with just hitting one button. It is a pain zooming around until you hit 1:1 every time you log in.) If you zoom in, all 2D objects reveal their low resolution, which looks totally pixelated and horrible. Even the characters (which were newly designed for the EC) have too low a resolution, which is a pity. The only thing looking nice is the ground and the particle effects.

Glad to hear though that they're still working on improving the EC.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I respect the work of grimmy, but the animation frames work, for what should this be usefull? I know i know smaller animation sizes and patches, BUT if you compare the rendering with Kingdom Reborn and the Enhanced Client now, the Kingdom Reborn had a much clearer faster animation rendering system, also on not soo strong PC's tested on my laptop.

This reduce is 500MB i would say, it is nearly 1 GB of installation size but you have to count the remove of the KR art too. But for this we got a lot of badder animations, also wrong sized animations, pixelation of objects. I know you are not a stupid man, so tell the engenieres to show your art in a nice rendered way!

I say it again, performance? You can forget this with this engine, enable the KR rendering again, it was as good as it is now from the performance aspects. KR never got a real chance to proof, you will see if you can intigrate the stability into this system, it is a very good nice looking game!

A

AesSedai

- Good interview, all & thanks :)

- I'd like to make another request for a KR graphics toggle/option;
and if those graphics (tiles/animations/models/~all) make the size of the game too big for some to download, then please consider adding a separate download for KR (~SA) graphics that would be updated once more of the improved graphics make it thru the pipes.

(Too bad there isn't an option to zoom to 1:1 with just hitting one button. It is a pain zooming around until you hit 1:1 every time you log in.)
- Press the * key on your keypad ;)

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MalagAste said:
That said... I'm incredibly hopeful for the male paperdoll. And I probably have very high hopes but that's because I very, very much love UO and I love my character. Who happens to be a male. (Yes I'm female and I play a male character more often than not .... following my sons wise logic... "If I have to stare at something all the time while I'm playing I may as well be looking at something good!") So I expect my character to look VERY good and I tend to get a bit upset when he doesn't.
I think they should have a couple ladies sign off on the male paperdoll before publishing it.

We want to look good too.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Grimm....

I've probably been in the Chaotic Good category for most of my UO time. I've always been outspoken about what I don't like.... not because I want to be a jerk... but because I truly have a passion for UO and I want it to be the best it can be.

As for the art... often times I find that things in UO are scaled far too LARGE... Take the woodland belt for instance.... looking at it on a female character it looks VERY nice... and it has a nice hang and flow to it... however.... on the male paperdoll .... it is too large... it doesn't hang very well at all... and it lacks the "pizzaz" that the female version has. I've heard it often referred to as looking like a diaper... sadly.

One thing I have a wish for.... would be the ability to "modify" items appearance.... so if I wanted I could take my hunters headdress and "modify" it to be a circlet... Or a floppy hat if I wanted... And I could take my crimson and let it be a woodland belt... I honestly wish that the crimson had art dependent on the race of your character.... Odd that it has art that shows dependent on your sex.... but it can't have art dependent on your race as well....

And while others may like to see their headgear.... I miss my circlets. I truly hate seeing a dead deer on my head.

And I know I'm not alone but I miss clothes... I miss being able to wear pants. I wish someone would work on and address the layering issues with clothes. Really why do we have pants and short pants if you can't wear them without sacrificing armor... And gargoyles..... while I love! their outfits.... got the raw end of the stick deal when it comes to missing out on arties.... Can't wear the new soles of Provence.... can't wear a crimson..... can't wear any of the nice headgear.... it's rather sad.

Circlets? Really? I know, and actually I've heard of that before. I'll add to my list "Figure something out about circlets." Although I suspect I'll just be adding a headache for the designers.

As for race related versions of the crimson, etc. That's an interesting idea, originally, we were of the opinion that players would want to see the same crimson on the elf that they loved on the human... Well, I'll give this to the squirrel in my head to play with. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the Gargs, well, just hang tight!

-Grimm

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(Too bad there isn't an option to zoom to 1:1 with just hitting one button. It is a pain zooming around until you hit 1:1 every time you log in.)
- Press the * key on your keypad ;)
The * key zooms to the default zoom level, which (unfortunately) is not 1:1.

Anyway, if they'd have the graphical objects in 3D and higher resolution, zooming really could be a nifty feature.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
This was a really good interview, Airmid and Grimm. It helps to hear about technical facets that make UO a challenge to execute. For my part, all I know is: I like the way this looks, but not that; or, I feel like this runs smoothly, but that doesn't. To hear reasons why this might be the case, for a non-techy like me, is enlightening.

Also, ARG! !@#$ (I don't want to be lumped into the "true good" category).

Thank you both.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great interview and refreshing to read such detailed answers instead of the vague diplomatic answers you'll often find in interviews like these. Sounds like Grimm has been through quite a bit in his UO years so far and I can't say I envy the tougher times. In the end it must be however so satisfying to have such a vocal and passionate group of players to do all this for. No matter which category they fall into, they're all passionate aren't they!
I totally agree.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The images are rather large (1.5-2mb). I didn't want to compress them.

Hahah, welcome to our world Zym!!! I don't want to compress my images either, but unfortunately graphics cards have a tendency to explode when you shove the amount of data required to draw UO in an uncompressed format down their throat.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I respect the work of grimmy, but the animation frames work, for what should this be usefull? I know i know smaller animation sizes and patches, BUT if you compare the rendering with Kingdom Reborn and the Enhanced Client now, the Kingdom Reborn had a much clearer faster animation rendering system, also on not soo strong PC's tested on my laptop.

This reduce is 500MB i would say, it is nearly 1 GB of installation size but you have to count the remove of the KR art too. But for this we got a lot of badder animations, also wrong sized animations, pixelation of objects. I know you are not a stupid man, so tell the engenieres to show your art in a nice rendered way!

I say it again, performance? You can forget this with this engine, enable the KR rendering again, it was as good as it is now from the performance aspects. KR never got a real chance to proof, you will see if you can intigrate the stability into this system, it is a very good nice looking game!
I'd like to make another request for a KR graphics toggle/option;
and if those graphics (tiles/animations/models/~all) make the size of the game too big for some to download, then please consider adding a separate download for KR (~SA) graphics that would be updated once more of the improved graphics make it thru the pipes.
Thanks for the compliments on the UOKR animation set. Allowing players the option of downloading those high resolution animation is something that's on the list of stuff we'd like to do. There are a lot of considerations that have to be made (nothing's ever easy, is it?) about what this means to development, but thanks for weighing in on the topic.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was a really good interview, Airmid and Grimm. It helps to hear about technical facets that make UO a challenge to execute. For my part, all I know is: I like the way this looks, but not that; or, I feel like this runs smoothly, but that doesn't. To hear reasons why this might be the case, for a non-techy like me, is enlightening.

Also, ARG! !@#$ (I don't want to be lumped into the "true good" category).

Thank you both.
LOL - You'll always be Chaotic Good to me.

And yes, Airmid did a terrific job with the questions! I really enjoyed answering them.

-Grimm

T

Trebr Drab

I've always hated the avatars, and many of the NPCs/MOBs, in KR and now the EC. I don't like the looks, the smudginess, nor the animations.

I know that this is due to restrictions and requirements so that the masses can run the game, I understand that. But I have a question.

Couldn't you make a kick arse 3D version, and for those who simply can't run it, use that art to make images to use in a 2D version?
That way:
-everything looks the same, instead of two wildly different looks
-those who can run the 3D can, and those with more limited comps can run the 2D and still have a great looking game that's almost the exact same look.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think they should have a couple ladies sign off on the male paperdoll before publishing it.

We want to look good too.

I'll do it! Run them by me first.... I'll let you know Grimm if you've done my character justice or not. My opinion is always 100%.... I don't hold back. I'm sure to tell you straight up what I think.

I also want to say I LOVE the concept of the faces... and I think it's super awesome..... I also think it would be super cool... if you could add fresh faces to this feature from time to time... I'm not talking super often I'm talking about adding a couple or as many as 4 or 5 a year... just once a year would be plenty... I'd hate to see this forgotten about.

Again I'm on the customability factor of UO... and the ability of folk to have a wide variety of face's and bodies lends to the uniqueness of the individual and really adds quite a bit to the game.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Couldn't you make a kick arse 3D version, and for those who simply can't run it, use that art to make images to use in a 2D version?
That way:
-everything looks the same, instead of two wildly different looks
-those who can run the 3D can, and those with more limited comps can run the 2D and still have a great looking game that's almost the exact same look.
Well, in theory, yes. It gets complicated given the fact that we have the original UO client, and the EC client. Both of these clients have 2 different processes (necessary because the technology is so different). The addition of a pure 3d Client is a daunting prospect indeed given that how 3d Assets and pipelines are managed would necessitate a 3rd process. While this doesn't make the prospect impossible, it is quite a hurdle. And the idea of supporting 3 pipelines makes my eye mist up a bit.

-Grimm

T

Trebr Drab

Well, in theory, yes. It gets complicated given the fact that we have the original UO client, and the SE client. Both of these clients have 2 different processes (necessary because the technology is so different). The addition of a pure 3d Client is a daunting prospect indeed given that how 3d Assets and pipelines are managed would necessitate a 3rd process. While this doesn't make the prospect impossible, it is quite a hurdle. And the idea of supporting 3 pipelines makes my eye mist up a bit.

-Grimm
No, Grimm, get rid of the old 2D client altogether, and replace it with the new version based off the new 3D.
I'm wondering if there'd be a problem to use the 3D client but with 2D art, as to my limited knowledge it's the art that's the problem.
It would be very important, IMO, that the new 3D not only look great and state of the art, but also look as much as possible like the original, i.e. "realistic".

C

Cal_Mythic

Circlets? Really? I know, and actually I've heard of that before. I'll add to my list "Figure something out about circlets." Although I suspect I'll just be adding a headache for the designers.

As for race related versions of the crimson, etc. That's an interesting idea, originally, we were of the opinion that players would want to see the same crimson on the elf that they loved on the human... Well, I'll give this to the squirrel in my head to play with. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Grimm
*bites his tongue*

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*bites his tongue*
*notices mood*

Quit being grumpy, you're an Adept Producer at 80+ posts and (Can now venture into classic shard talk). *winks*

...and so I don't troll my own interview...

Thanks again Grimm! I want my hair to do a woo-hoo thing on my paperdoll AND in game WITH animation. What say you?

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*bites his tongue*
LOL...

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that when I say stuff like, "I'll add this to my list" or "Hang tight" or "I'll give this to the squirrel in my head to play with" I just mean that I've heard you and to please be patient and that I'm making mental notes to bring up in future discussions, not that I'm putting these on any "official board" or actually giving the ideas to any of the squirrels currently living in my skull. But FYI, I'm generally good about remembering them when the opportunity arises.

... in case there were any misunderstandings.
... and please do not email the squirrels in my head.

-Grimm

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for the squirrels

well, you said no email, nothing about feedin' them

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, in theory, yes. It gets complicated given the fact that we have the original UO client, and the SE client. Both of these clients have 2 different processes (necessary because the technology is so different). The addition of a pure 3d Client is a daunting prospect indeed given that how 3d Assets and pipelines are managed would necessitate a 3rd process. While this doesn't make the prospect impossible, it is quite a hurdle. And the idea of supporting 3 pipelines makes my eye mist up a bit.

-Grimm
What's the SE Client??

Honestly, it becomes more and more obvious that the Legacy Client prevents not only the necessary graphical improvement of UO, but also makes it difficult (if not impossible) to control cheats/hacks/3rd party tools.

If you consider how many players really are using 10 year old computers that cannot run the Enhanced Client with low graphics settings, and on the other hand how many players are disappointed about the bad graphics, resolution and all the hacks... is it really reasonable to maintain the old stuff forever?

I totally agree with Trebr Drab. Why don't you make the Enhanced Client the default UO interface, and give us 2 graphics options:
1. The old classic graphics (which would look like the Legacy Client, just with a bigger screen and the hotbar feature), which runs on low-end computers.
2. Real good looking 3D graphics, which utilize the graphics power every mediocre PC nowadays supports.​

This way you could get rid of the outdated client technology, and still make all players happy. Concerning graphics, the Kingdom Reborn Client was a step into the right direction, only most of the graphics were very poorly done (but at least real 3D in good resolution).

If think if you'd improve the SA Client, not many people would continue to use the old Legacy Client.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's the SE Client??

Honestly, it becomes more and more obvious that the Legacy Client prevents not only the necessary graphical improvement of UO, but also makes it difficult (if not impossible) to control cheats/hacks/3rd party tools.

If you consider how many players really are using 10 year old computers that cannot run the Enhanced Client with low graphics settings, and on the other hand how many players are disappointed about the bad graphics, resolution and all the hacks... is it really reasonable to maintain the old stuff forever?

I totally agree with Trebr Drab. Why don't you make the Enhanced Client the default UO interface, and give us 2 graphics options:
1. The old classic graphics (which would look like the Legacy Client, just with a bigger screen and the hotbar feature), which runs on low-end computers.
2. Real good looking 3D graphics, which utilize the graphics power every mediocre PC nowadays supports.​
This way you could get rid of the outdated client technology, and still make all players happy. Concerning graphics, the Kingdom Reborn Client was a step into the right direction, only most of the graphics were very poorly done (but at least real 3D in good resolution).

If think if you'd improve the SA Client, not many people would continue to use the old Legacy Client.

Ah! Thanks! I meant EC... (corrections made)

C

canary

What's the SE Client??

Lovely idea, they TOTALLY missed the mark the first time on how to redo a client. Sad to say, but given the EA cuts and a UO skeleton crew I'm pretty sure we will NOT be seeing a new client unless NetDragon lets Mythic use the new UO they are designing.

L

longshanks

well done Grim. The Q&A that followed were almost another interview.

Lighten up Cal :p

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What's the SE Client??

Lovely idea, they TOTALLY missed the mark the first time on how to redo a client. Sad to say, but given the EA cuts and a UO skeleton crew I'm pretty sure we will NOT be seeing a new client unless NetDragon lets Mythic use the new UO they are designing.
Shame that it is..... I think laying to rest the old client is probably a key to moving forward and squashing a TON of hacks and cheats. However.... the sad fact is... they will catch up.

But perhaps we can all hope for miracles... and a client that is smooth, visually stimulating, and functional for all.

But while we are all worried about looks..... lets not forget content... and storyline... I would hate to have the story arc's die like so many other things left undone in UO.

Oh and DEV's while your on your little playdates.... have a serious look around the buildings in towns, and Doom...... I can point you to at least a dozen or more missing tiles. If I had the ability I'd patch them in..... or flag them for you.... but I have a feeling you'll just have to happen upon them yourselves.... and whether or not you fix them remember these are things that effect the game and reflect upon it. They may seem insignificant but they really do distract from the way the game looks.

Sometimes I wish I had a bit of control over such things... give me a week with the right tools and I'd have the landscape all polished up...

And Grimm the offer still stands... I'll preview your new male paperdoll and give you an honest opinion of it from a passionate players perspective.

T

Trebr Drab

But while we are all worried about looks..... lets not forget content... and storyline... I would hate to have the story arc's die like so many other things left undone in UO.
I agree with that. It's my dream that UO was all about the story, played out by us, with the ability to change the outcomes. Let EMs and GMs play the antagonists and heroic figures, recruit from the player's themselves, and play it out. Of course, the final outcomes have to be somewhat predetermined, that goes with the territory like an ol' D+D Dungeon Master knows. But the path to there can have a lot of twists and turns. One antagonist could still be alive when a new one appears and starts his own plot. Or not. It's usually best to have the antagonist go unrevealed and use henchmen, who come and go as needed, until the players are led to the destinations and conclusions. Those conclusions could have alternate endings, or not always.

But we'd need a "classic" game to do that. Recruited players that can't be attacked doesn't work in many situations. And if you went with the suggestion of a limited number of kills before a murder flag, then it would be even more incentive to "save kills" for when they are needed, rather than on a whim to PK.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the compliments on the UOKR animation set. Allowing players the option of downloading those high resolution animation is something that's on the list of stuff we'd like to do. There are a lot of considerations that have to be made (nothing's ever easy, is it?) about what this means to development, but thanks for weighing in on the topic.

-Grimm
I like to see that you are one of the Devs that like the EC or KR. I dont want to blame the other ones, Cal is also very active in the last time :thumbup1:, i hope you both can make that i can get a good playable client again after disabling the Third Dawn client. When i first time played the KR open beta, i thought hey thats a wonderfull new client, also when it was released the performance was a bit worse compared to the now state, but it was nice looking and nearly crashfree.

I hope now after the SA release you can focus a bit more of finishing the development on the Enhanced Client, it is a good stable client now, but with some huge bugs also from art side. Again the animations are not bad, you dont have to hide behind a tree, only because it is UO!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

-Grimm
Great interview! Thank you for sharing your insights. The above quote caught my eye. I'm glad there will be some love for gargoyles in the future.

-OBSIDIAN-

T

Trebr Drab

-Grimm
I like to see that you are one of the Devs that like the EC or KR. I dont want to blame the other ones, Cal is also very active in the last time :thumbup1:, i hope you both can make that i can get a good playable client again after disabling the Third Dawn client. When i first time played the KR open beta, i thought hey thats a wonderfull new client, also when it was released the performance was a bit worse compared to the now state, but it was nice looking and nearly crashfree.

I hope now after the SA release you can focus a bit more of finishing the development on the Enhanced Client, it is a good stable client now, but with some huge bugs also from art side. Again the animations are not bad, you dont have to hide behind a tree, only because it is UO!
Ok, I don't understand this. (Note, this is about the avatars and some of the MOBs and items, large parts of the world looked very good.) The KR screenies that were advertised, the avatars looked good. But when I played it, it looked terrible, and the animations were terrible. If this is because my comp couldn't use the best of the KR client, then I can understand. But otherwise, I would consider that to be a very, very poor decision as what you'd want UO to look like.

A

AesSedai

The * key zooms to the default zoom level, which (unfortunately) is not 1:1...
- oops, my bad ya'll.
(runs off to make a crosslink post in EC beta forum :))

x: my Xlink was for something else :)... maybe someone should else should make a post suggesting a button/change for 1:1 or for other changes?

C

canary

- oops, my bad ya'll.
(runs off to make a crosslink post in EC beta forum :))
Good, also mention the default legacy backpack view looks wonky because it too is not set at the proper default ratio.

Edit: Cuz, you know, I've only sent in that particular bug like 25 times. /sighs