• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Valentines Gifts Are Stupid

• Thread starter Luke Carjacker
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
L

Luke Carjacker

Let me count the ways.

1. Who the hell gives white roses on Valentine's Day? What possible good would those be to anyone? Actually, I'm expecting someone out there to announce that they got a red rose, like some 1/1000 shot, which is great for them. But what about everyone else that wants to give a rose to their sweety? I like the new design, but white? I guess if you want a slap in the face. At least the old red roses from various events are still around to keep us out of the dog house.

2. Who the hell wants a Dev name on a rose they plan to give on Valentines day? Seriously, what the hell good is that? The player name would be most obvious (and easy to implement since a lot of other stuff like Holiday cards already do this). Even better would be customizable roses with a 'from' and a 'to'. Now that would be something that a lot of people would love to give.

3. What's up with all the chocolates? As it stands anyone with a couple of different characters can easily get every single one of the new sayings offered. There's nothing special about them, no reason to try to trade with anyone, and certainly no reason to give any of them to someone special. Hi, have this chocolate that says 'I Love You'; oh, thanks but I have 20 of those already that dropped in my pack. What's special about something if you can give the same thing to 30 different people? Also, the chocolates are not exceptional - so they can't be decorated by a cook. I foresee lots and lots and lots of chocolates available in the Cavern of the Discarded, by way of the various trash cans all around the land. Seriously, who isn't planning to throw away at least 90% of the chocolates they got?

4. Not one single personalizable item? When I caught wind of all the new sayings available, I assumed they would be available on cards that you could personalize to others. Great idea on expanding the number of sayings to range from friends to flirtatious to serious romance. Asinine idea to put them on something generic (chocolates) that has no personal significance and will wind up in the garbage.

Bottom line, the developers forgot that this is MMORPG - try to remember what each letter means you bozos. It isn't about gifts from UO to the players (maybe that's what christmas gifts should be about), it's about the opportunity for players to build community (and more) by giving stuff to others in the game. As it stands, none of the junk they came up with is worth giving. None of it.

L

Luke Carjacker

Quoted to point out your mistaken assumptions.

I never said i wanted anything valuable out of the gifts. I never said i wanted anything collectible. I never said I didn't like the way the things looked. The point of my message was, for this particular holiday, it's important for the developer to remember that this game is about the community of players. Gifts with developers names on them do not benefit the players. Piles of duplicated gifts do not help players connect with each other.

The point of my post is that items of a more personal nature would be better appreciated by players on this occasion. A Valentines Day card addressed from me to a special friend has zero value, it doesn't need to look special and is not collectible by anyone other than that person. And it would be 100x preferable to anything they came up with this year.

So, before you post (let alone repost) something just to hear (see) your own voice, try to run it through your brain to figure out if what you're posting applies to the discussion at hand.

reposted

u all are gdamned whiners....not everything in this game has to be worth 295732487523845 gold .....or made to be collected...or look good(ps nothing in this ancient game looks good)

it's simply a valueless gift for ****s and giggles....enjoy or throw it away....but stop whining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA0Ip...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1lfSzgcAw

L

Llwyd

I think the gifts are quite nice. The rose, in particular, is very well-done, and the heart box and chocolates are great deco. In addition, considering how many people were laid off recently, the few we have left seem to be doing their best to make our UO pretend-lives a little happier. A "thank you" is in order, in my opinion.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me count the ways.

1. Who the hell gives white roses on Valentine's Day? What possible good would those be to anyone? Actually, I'm expecting someone out there to announce that they got a red rose, like some 1/1000 shot, which is great for them. But what about everyone else that wants to give a rose to their sweety? I like the new design, but white? I guess if you want a slap in the face. At least the old red roses from various events are still around to keep us out of the dog house.
meaning of white rose, taken from here

Purity, Innocence, Silence, Secrecy, Reverence, Humility, Youthfulness, "I am worthy of you", Heavenly

and a bit more in depth, from ProFlowers

With its pristine appearance, the white rose has come to symbolize purity, innocence and secrecy. There are myths and legends from several different cultures relating to the origin of the first rose which is initially white in color and is then miraculously transformed. Oftentimes the pure white rose was depicted as being stained by blood, or made to blush from a kiss. The recurrence of this theme does a great deal to establish the white rose as a symbol for purity.

W

Walkerboh77

Quoted to point out your mistaken assumptions.

I never said i wanted anything valuable out of the gifts. I never said i wanted anything collectible. I never said I didn't like the way the things looked. The point of my message was, for this particular holiday, it's important for the developer to remember that this game is about the community of players. Gifts with developers names on them do not benefit the players. Piles of duplicated gifts do not help players connect with each other.

The point of my post is that items of a more personal nature would be better appreciated by players on this occasion. A Valentines Day card addressed from me to a special friend has zero value, it doesn't need to look special and is not collectible by anyone other than that person. And it would be 100x preferable to anything they came up with this year.

So, before you post (let alone repost) something just to hear (see) your own voice, try to run it through your brain to figure out if what you're posting applies to the discussion at hand.

everything the devs do doesn't have to have a grand purpose or conform to your desires....get over it

M

Muu Bin

reposted

u all are gdamned whiners....not everything in this game has to be worth 295732487523845 gold .....or made to be collected...or look good(ps nothing in this ancient game looks good)

it's simply a valueless gift for ****s and giggles....enjoy or throw it away....but stop whining
If you think these are valueless gifts then why would it make any sense for the dev team to spend ANY time on them when their "To Do" list is longer than (insert your favorite analogy here)? A lot of the comments here and in other threads on this issue are constructive criticisms - there is a big difference between this and whining. Feedback is important for this game - apathy like your comment above is what is destroying it. :fight:

T

Tukaram

I really like the white roses. I've got millions of red roses. They've been giving them for ages. The chocolates are alright but take a lot of lockdowns. I will make a good set and eat the rest.

And I personally love getting gifts with the Devs names on them.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
meaning of white rose, taken from here

Purity, Innocence, Silence, Secrecy, Reverence, Humility, Youthfulness, "I am worthy of you", Heavenly

They should just have NPCs sell the roses all year long and jack up the price ten fold around this time :) also add some carnations ;D

TheBlackCobra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the valentines gifts.

They're fluff, they're the sort of thing you'd expect to receive, and most importantly... they're basically the same items that already existed for other things given different graphics and form. Total dev time taken is approximately 5 minutes for something like that (longer for the artists.

Nice presents that don't take time much from working on upgrading the code that needs it? Yes please.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Luke, thank you! You make sense but I so needed a laugh and you gave me that! ty!

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can see what the ops is saying tho. Its not like it use to be where you use to get something like the snowglobes with the town names etc. where you would stand at the bank, and trade for the ones you needed. That is what has been taken away from the gift giving.

so far 3 different color roses one pure white, one white with tinted pink, and one yellowish white rose.

S

Stupid Miner

Let me count the ways.

2. Who the hell wants a Dev name on a rose they plan to give on Valentines day? Seriously, what the hell good is that? The player name would be most obvious (and easy to implement since a lot of other stuff like Holiday cards already do this). Even better would be customizable roses with a 'from' and a 'to'. Now that would be something that a lot of people would love to give.

3. What's up with all the chocolates? As it stands anyone with a couple of different characters can easily get every single one of the new sayings offered. There's nothing special about them, no reason to try to trade with anyone, and certainly no reason to give any of them to someone special. Hi, have this chocolate that says 'I Love You'; oh, thanks but I have 20 of those already that dropped in my pack. What's special about something if you can give the same thing to 30 different people? Also, the chocolates are not exceptional - so they can't be decorated by a cook. I foresee lots and lots and lots of chocolates available in the Cavern of the Discarded, by way of the various trash cans all around the land. Seriously, who isn't planning to throw away at least 90% of the chocolates they got?

4. Not one single personalizable item? When I caught wind of all the new sayings available, I assumed they would be available on cards that you could personalize to others. Great idea on expanding the number of sayings to range from friends to flirtatious to serious romance. Asinine idea to put them on something generic (chocolates) that has no personal significance and will wind up in the garbage.

Bottom line, the developers forgot that this is MMORPG - try to remember what each letter means you bozos. It isn't about gifts from UO to the players (maybe that's what christmas gifts should be about), it's about the opportunity for players to build community (and more) by giving stuff to others in the game. As it stands, none of the junk they came up with is worth giving. None of it.
I'll admit you have a legitimate point that will mostly go ignored because of the poor choice of wording and tone.
Constructive criticism mixed with personal attacks tends to get ignored.

Though i'll tack on my personal irk: The blue shading for the boxes was a bad idea, doesn't work at all.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the gifts are quite nice. The rose, in particular, is very well-done, and the heart box and chocolates are great deco. In addition, considering how many people were laid off recently, the few we have left seem to be doing their best to make our UO pretend-lives a little happier. A "thank you" is in order, in my opinion.
Indeed, Thank you Devs for putting some effort into these gifts!

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me count the ways.

Don't like em?
Throw them or give them away.

Don't like what the devs do?
Quit the game and move on. Seriously.

Personally, I happen to like them and really don't appreciate your put downs, insults and name calling.

J

JADE/JADE

I just started playing again, but I think the gifts are great. I'm in a full time intense graduate program so I rarely get time to post, but honestly I felt strongly enough to post here.

The box of chocolates made me very happy. I liked that the chocolates had different descriptions and made me look all of them over. It was nice to see that the dev team put the effort and thought into recreating something that reminds us of Valentine's day in real life. I understand why people are upset that the roses don't have our names on them, as I would have liked to give my favorite person in-game a rose with my signature -- but to be honest -- I know he appreciates the gift if it has my name attached or not. One person made the argument that this is an MMORPG, and with it comes a community. I agree. But the community isn't created on names on insignificant items. Someone will be happy when I give my box of candies to a player I've made a personal connection with. It doesn't need to have my name attached.

Honestly, be happy! Not everything has to be rare or have a rare version. Go get those new spawning artifacts and work for it!

U

UOKaiser

Is there a rare one? Got to remmeber Uo had a wonderful rare market. I wonder what happen to those days? DiD we get WOWertize some time between then and now?

LadyKeroOfAtl

UO Homes & Castles News Reporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me count the ways I feel your post is exactly what you called the valentine gifts...

1 - There's more then just white roses given out.. But in the case of a white rose..
White roses symbolize innocence - combined with red [which most people have from whispering roses] they symbolize the feeling of love and/or unity.

2 - Most of the items we receive at various holidays have a dev team member on them i.e. christmas cards, reindeer, sleighs, halloween pumpkins..

3 - The chocolate are similar to old valentine gifts that were neon colored candies with different sayings on them such as 'Cool Guy' and 'Happy Heart Day'

4 - I seem to recall people complaining that we received cards two years in a row instead of a 'new' item/graphic.
Get creative, With the new dyes you can make your own card out of a book and give the candies to the desired person.

And now for my own points -

The new boxes, especially the animated ones make for good deco. The candies can be good for more then just Valentines presents since they don't all say valentines quotes.

The new rose graphics are a nice addition to the roses people already own for many reasons, including the fact that they face in a different directions then whispering roses. So if you were to want to make it look like a bouquet laying on a table, it would be possible.

I'm sorry you won't get rich off these gifts, but that doesn't make them stupid or useless. Yes, they're more for the players that enjoy deco, but It's not really an article of clothing or weapon type of holiday.
Maybe earrings.. but we have a bunch of kinds of those already.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't like em?
Throw them or give them away.

Don't like what the devs do?
Quit the game and move on. Seriously.

Personally, I happen to like them and really don't appreciate your put downs, insults and name calling.
QFT

TheGhostRaider

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The trash can really like the gift. Nice animation when lock down but give me a break. nothing special about it. waste of time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's not that I don't like the new NON-REHUED graphics... Trust me I do appreciate that!

What I do mind is the 1500 lockdowns it's costing...

I don't know about you but I don't want to have to get another account and another house to store all the crap I keep getting each holiday....

I ranted about the fact that they didn't make the chocolates stackable..... even if they had made each one stack only with like phrases and colors it would have been a MASSIVE improvement to just having them non stackable....

I refrained from filling the cavern with 90,000 items.... as I'm fairly sure everyone and their uncle tossed coutless boxes of chocolates away.

I'm upset that I didn't get a rose with my name on it....

I like personalized items that I can give to my sweetheart in game... If I give a rose now it's like OH POO! Just another rose.

Sad.... that's what I am...

S

siyeng0

The trash can really like the gift. Nice animation when lock down but give me a break. nothing special about it. waste of time.
Waste of time? Whose time? You log on, you look at the gifts, you decide that you don't want them and throw the entire box in the trash. Good god, that's like twenty seconds of your life that you're never going to get back.

People in this thread act like it's some horrible inconvenience to recieve a gift that they don't want. It's free. You didn't have to work for it. It's two boxes per character. Keep a few chocolates from each box if you're a collector; if you don't want them, throw them away.

Why it seems to completely ruin someone's day if they get a few unwanted items that require no effort to obtain and take five seconds to dispose of, I honestly don't know.

L

Luke Carjacker

Waste of time? Whose time?
The time that was wasted was the development time, probably the most precious resource our UO community has. They could have created gifts that meant something to people (note, I didn't say valuable). If I had a chocolate or flower with my name on it, and I gave that to a special someone that would mean something. If I got one from someone and they only had one, that would be special. The fact that I have a flower with with some developer's name on it means nothing.

That's the disappointment that people are feeling. Time and effort was spent on these things, and the great majority of them will wind up in the trash or on the ground in Luna (lots already and nobody is even bothering to pick them up). Time that could have been spent on creating new content, or nailing speedhackers, or creating something that people won't throw away en masse.

Sure, it's just a gift in the game, and yes I had something in my pack that I didn't have before. I don't argue with the notion that something is better than nothing. What I'm unhappy about is that for the same development time and effort, they could have created something much nicer (again, I'm not saying more valuable) and more personal for us. Something people would be proud to keep, or give. They didn't. When development time, a notably finite resource, isn't used to improve the game as much as possible, the players suffer.

So, the question you should be asking isn't "do we like what we got"; the question should be "was that the best they could do with the developmental hours (aka our money) they invested"? If it wasn't, then time & money wasted.

A

Aly<3

Crazy boys. The boxes throb. What more do you want? Two dozen chocolates and a rose in a box?? :coco:

Gus of Llanowar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive been reading this thread since Saturday and i just got to say geez man its obvious no one will ever say anything to end this discussion. So if you want to get something to give to someone you care about since it means so much to you go get a card from the past holidays. i see these frickin cards laying on the ground on a regualr basis or even in the cavern of the discarded. But seriously i hate a whiner. The only person that whines about items in game arnt good enough are the ones the whine about the free items in game arnt great enough. You ever thought that the items wernt the greatest of all time beacuse just maybe they were devoting more time into other projects!!!!!! O so before you go and get someone else fired with your complaining about how worthless their time management is think things out just a little bit and try to see past the end of your nose.

M

miss_samara

I really like the throbbing boxes. That actually sounds kind of dirty. Heh.

The roses are nice too. I just eat or drop the chocolates for someone who wants them. Problem solved. :)

B

Beer_Cayse

<sigh> Don't like what YOU got? Locate a) a new/young player who might appreciate them and give them away; b) sell it for 5-10K and bank the cash; c) drop the stuff in a trash bin wherever you can find one.

Ya gotz plenty optionz. Me? I'm opting for option #1 or 2 for the stuff on my toons.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And it took you how long to figure this out?

All the gifts are a joke and are 100% geared towards the Role Player, or should I say....Girls errrr I mean Trammies.

I personally am offended every time EA spends dev hours working on that garbage when there still are bugs that have been around for years.

In the end, nothing will be done about it so why bother complaining.

It is easy to just throw the items away, that's what I do every time.

It is the same with Vet rewards. They should call them Newb Rewards instead.

And god forbid a 13 year vet should get an item for PvP that would IMBALANCE the game :next:

R

RavenWinterHawk

Let me count the ways.

Dude toss them on the ground and move on.

Geez. To each his own.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please don't insult the RP'ers. Even they didn't want these, tyvm.
Fair enough, but you have to admit that every single gift, not vet reward, since they started handing them out is geared towards the RP'ers.

K

Kiminality

Fair enough, but you have to admit that every single gift, not vet reward, since they started handing them out is geared towards the RP'ers.
Depends how you define RPers.
People who deco their houses aren't necessarily RPers, but they get a bunch of gifts geared towards them.

Other than that, the first thing that comes to mind is soulstone fragments.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's terrible how these role playing games seem to focus on role players, eh?

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Other than that, the first thing that comes to mind is soulstone fragments.
Well I personally have tons of the large soulstones so I don't really need the Frags, but I do agree that these are decent items and can be used by anyone.

So let me see how my memory is, I'm getting old. Clean up Britannia back in '98 or '99 provided a bless item deed, which at the time was a huge item to have. So the powers to be deemed items like that to be an imbalance in PvP, and they never provided another item to the PvPers.

That is until the soul stone frags, but I don't consider them an imbalance to PvP, so they kinda shouldn't count, but I will count them.

Other than that I remember, a few different kinds of roses, chocolates, bacon, silly wands, candy canes... am i missing anything?

I do see the spirit of EA by providing these items to everyone, but I get very frustrated when they spend Dev hours on them and we still have in game bugs. Some that are rather huge to the PvP community.

To make matters worse they ruined the Vet rewards as well. They should be called newb rewards.

You would think that after 13 years of playing this game we could get some kind of item that is significant!! not another stupid Ethy mount.

And when I say significant, I also don't mean a house decoration either. But again god forbid we get something that would imbalance the game... even though there are PvP bugs that already do imbalance the game.

Let me name one:
Necromancy: A necro mage can cast evil omen on himself and then weaken himself. When he does this it stop the weaken spell from interrupting him in mage fights. So when the opposing mage tries to cast weaken on him to interrupt his spell, it fizzles and never hits him, thus not interrupting him.

M

Mattress Mary

Wow...I've been away for awhile...lots of changes in game...none in the cry baby population. These gifts were FROM the Dev's that's why it's THEIR names are on them. If you want to present your in game sweetheart with a gift, buy one from the Store or give her the Whispering Rose with YOUR name on it. Oh, too new for that one? Sorry...email him/her a card. But please, don't look a gift horse in the mouth...we haven't gotten V-Day gifts every year. In fact there was quite a drought between the Whispering Rose and the next V-Day gift wasn't there? So...thank you Dev's for the gifts and thank you to those* dedicated to keeping UO going for so many years.

*I'm one of those dedicated...I don't play often but I still pay for 6 accounts so that we can all continue to enjoy this wonderful game and have stuff to pancake and moan about as well as rejoice for... You're welcome.

M

Mattress Mary

And it took you how long to figure this out?

All the gifts are a joke and are 100% geared towards the Role Player, or should I say....Girls errrr I mean Trammies.

I personally am offended every time EA spends dev hours working on that garbage when there still are bugs that have been around for years.

In the end, nothing will be done about it so why bother complaining.

It is easy to just throw the items away, that's what I do every time.

It is the same with Vet rewards. They should call them Newb Rewards instead.

And god forbid a 13 year vet should get an item for PvP that would IMBALANCE the game :next:
What do you mean? You in Factions? If so you got too much crap to imbalance the game...unless all that Uber gear is nullified when your Red Factioner is attacking a non-faction char...yeah...thought so

L

Lady_Mina

I would have rather seen greater wyrms added to the game...then yet again a silly box with useless gifts that aren't even worth 5000 gp's and end up in the trashbarrel anyways.

L

Lady_Mina

They're not supposed to be valuable, they're gifts.
Would have been more fun if every single char didn't recieved exactly the same gift...
So some could at least try to collect a full collection.

as for the white wyrm...
Celebrating something like valentine ONLINE...is not really my style.
Since my online feelings are as cold as ice.

So i would rather like to see something slightly more usefull.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you mean? You in Factions? If so you got too much crap to imbalance the game...unless all that Uber gear is nullified when your Red Factioner is attacking a non-faction char...yeah...thought so
I agree on that. The faction armor should not be around. Or at least it should cost many thousands of silver per piece and insurance should be lie 4 times that of regular arties.

It also should absolutely not be allowed to be worn in Tram either.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So i would rather like to see something slightly more usefull.
EXACTLY!!

All I am saying is there are many play styles in this game, and it seems that the "gifts" are geared towards one play style only.