• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Slasher of Veils & Enhanced Client

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried it again. Today. Fighting the Slasher of Veils using the Enhanced Client. The good news is that I like the Enhanced Client so much, I cannot switch back to the Classic Client, no matter what. Playing the Classic Client seems like a miniature slide-show in comparison.

It explained many times, and I will describe the issue once again:
When a creatures casts large fire fields (or in general: when many particle effects, especially lots of field spells, are on the screen), the client experiences increasing lag. The more often it happens, the stronger the lag. After5-7 times experiencing this, the client will use up 100% CPU load and completely freeze or crash.

During fighting the Slasher I crashed/had to restart the client about 5 times.

I wonder whether the UO developers are aware of this issue and can reproduce this, and whether they are working on a fix. This really is one of the most annoying issues of the Enhanced Client (and issues there are plenty).

From what I hear from other players, this happens also on high-end computers with very good 3D graphics cards (using the latest drivers). So it probably is not a hardware issue.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having been doing the Prime Evil Lich spawn I've noticed severe lag after the 3rd or 4th blast of fire also.

Having done Slasher right at the launch of SA I had this problem to, Needs fixed badly.

Oh and I have the particle effects set to Low, However I've yet to notice a difference between Low and High.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and I have the particle effects set to Low, However I've yet to notice a difference between Low and High.
I tried low particle effects as well. The problem still occurs, but not quite that frequently.

D

Diggity

Have the same problem on my desktop pc- slasher is unplayable once the special effect spells go off. Have an Asus 9600GT silent 512 MB graphics card that works well pretty much everywhere else. Running about 1920 by 1100 window size. OS is Win XP pro.

OTOH, my laptop can handle the slasher quite well. It has an NVIDIA GTX260M w/ 1 GB of ram. Laptop window is smaller, 1600 x 900. OS is Win 7 home prem.

I might try copying my laptop's uo desktop to my regular computer to see if the smaller window size helps at all. My feeling is it won't since the GTX260 is just a much better video card.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*noted*
tracking the thread on this one,

Thanks,

- c
Fantastic! I remember reading about a post saying before the holidays devs fixed as many EC bugs as they had time for and we'd see a patch in January.

We did have a couple bugs fixed, but I'm wondering if we're still waiting on a patch or that's actually all they managed to fix.

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was actually with hawkeye today killing the Slasher. I also crashed twice. Some giant error which I didn't read as I wanted to get back in the game. I was in classic client.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dont even try to do a fel champ spawn with the EC client, after about 20 or so minutes the client locks up totally if you move your mouse into the black area.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dont even try to do a fel champ spawn with the EC client, after about 20 or so minutes the client locks up totally if you move your mouse into the black area.
That problem I never had...
Also I can do the Prim Lich spawn without any issues running EC.

My computer is a 2 year old iMac running the game at 1920*1200, using 32bit Windows 7 and has 4gb memory.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have also no iusses. But i know what you are talking about, it is the new stone effect, the screen turns white and stones are raining, i have also not found out if it is a lag or wanted that it freezes for 1 - 2 seconds.

When the devs look at this they should also look into the waterfall animations, and the poison smoke animation, this causes also on my machine huge lag!

i would say it has todo with the 2d / 3d redering mix, the cpu is used instead of the fast graphics card. Other effects like casts or fire are no problem.

C

Cal_Mythic

We had this go through QA and are bugging this up and getting it assigned:) Thanks guys!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We had this go through QA and are bugging this up and getting it assigned:) Thanks guys!
Wow. I'm speechless. I almost had given up hope. But it seems, there still is hope. Thanks for finally giving us feedback! It is appreciated.
I assume you already know this EC bug list? I stopped updating it a while ago, but it still is 99% accurate.

C

Cal_Mythic

Thats what I am talkin about Cal! Gettin **** Done! YOU DA MAN!
Ummm no ... I heard a great quote once ...

"You know ... I don't really do anything ... I have people that do stuff."

So ... my team rocks. We'll keep you updated.

See you guys ....

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ballin.
If it helps at all. after fighting slasher for a while. the entire codex room disappear except the floor. thats when my client crashes.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Uhm, this was reported DURING THE BETA and multiple times since launch.

Where have the hundreds of bug reports from the EC reporting tool gone?

If this is the first time you've heard about it, something is VERY broken in your development pipeline.