• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

the game is empty

C

canary

Darknat,

People continue to return to UO.
Yeah, they might return, but how do they stay before they go BACK to WoW (or whatever game they left)? You kinda gloss over that part.

I know lots of people that have returned, only to leave again a few months later. Many people jump back and forth from game to game. It doesn't make either one the 'better' experience.

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saphireena
There are those who play one or the other, and like to argue which game is better for whatever reasons, which is why i added my argument.
*grins* Well I hope you understood I was just generally adding to the list of possibilities and using your quote to keep the chain going, versus debating what you particularly said. :)

D

Darknat

Darknat,
People continue to return to UO.

Ack... :(

I wonder how old they are?

Well, the problem is not the people who return. They already know the game and it's possibilities. Some of them do return, some of them do not. My friends in particular are just that, some friends of mine who doesn't want to return because of the graphics even though they know the gameplay is better.

The problem are the new players. People who does not see UO on TV as they see WoW, or other online games (In Spain I think I haven't seen any other online games advertised on TV). And even if UO was to appear on TV, it won't get new players that way. The only way today the game gets new players is by the people who already plays/have played it telling their friends about it. And we can tell a lot of wonderful histories about the game, but when they get to see it, unless they really are open minded about graphics, they won't give it a chance.

People who don't know about UO are not really related to a specific age at all (even though it's true that the younger they are the less chance of them knowing about it). I had a long discussion at college with a friend of mine that kept telling me what things you could do in WoW and how wonderful it was, and me telling him "that's in UO too" to more or less everythinhg he said. He just didn't know what UO was at all. Ultima in general was not very known in Spain. I study computer science and from all the years I spent there, I think only 3 or 4 people I met there knew what UO was, and none of them played it.

Saphireena you are right that both WoW and UO are different things and that playing one does not mean you can't play the other, but it's also true that there are people who can't pay for 2 games a month. I was just thinking on an average player that just plays one game at a time.

T

Trebr Drab

Graphics, bah! That's just a convenient excuse. It's much easier when asked why, to just say "graphics". But I believe in my heart that graphics is not the real answer, only partly linked. It's just easier to say "graphics" than to try to spell out the richness that was lost. Richness, where players hawked their wares at all the banks, where players gathered at player run taverns, where events seemed to have meaning to the entire game rather than staged productions for a few, where players talked in game about the game...the world. Where emotions ran, high and low, none the less they ran. Where knowing thy fellow lords and ladies was a common thing. Where players had "homes" at banks and cities, and could be found there to repair your things or replace your goods. Where we did battle against the forces of evil, followers of Mondain and Armageddon and even player lords of death and destruction. Where the Mage Towers were built on every early shard, and fell on all but one.

UO is a shadow of it's former self. And that's why players don't come back, or don't stay if they do. Sosaria was alive! It breathed! But it was but one, brief, shining moment... in the history of MMORPGs and the worlds they bring us.

UO was the Camelot of MMORPGs. It lived. And it died, way back then, it died. Then, when they changed UO from a living, breathing world, to "like other games". The game design "experts" drove a knife into the heart of UO and killed it...way back then...with Renaissance and then Age of Shadows. And now we play a shadow. I was never a PKer, nor do I have high regard for them. I always felt.... no, I knew... that there was an answer in a justice system. If only they'd actually allow for punishment, instead of gaming it so that the PKers had their game play too, the "worldliness" and emotion and love of this world could have continued.

But players remember. And the calls for "something like" UO of old are shouted daily around the gaming message boards everywhere. Few remember now, but many newer players are beginning to see it too. They are tired of the same old same old. And the explanations of the worldliness of UO, the way players used to game, used to play, used to live, as opposed to the modern version of "like single player games".

I am a morose SOB over UO, this I freely admit. But I, and others like me, will be heard. We have been heard. And it's just beginning to take hold around gaming sites. I do believe that it's too late now, the old UO is truly dead...buried in the lust for elitism and things and "expert" game design. But the memory of the original UO shall not die so easily. UO will forever remind me of this, and forgive me for being quite so corny.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't really have data. But I've been watching this game and its players (and their behavior) for a long time. I think I can estimate pretty well how active my shard is, what kind of people come to play the game, and what the majority of the players is doing.

Of course, what I am posting are my guesses. But they are based on quite accurate observation.
Mine too, what a coincidence.

The difference is that I know quite well how potentially inaccurate my guesses and extrapolations are. I'm not really sure you do.

What really worries me, however, is when EA, which has access to real, hard, data, and presumably has trained and professional analysts and researchers, still makes odd decisions. The excesses of Age of Shadows is one great example.

-Galen's player

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you were really worried, you'd have catched on by then what I'm all about.

And it's not even about me, since I did it without intent.

I killed UO and I am the only one who can res it !

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once upon a time I lived on Lake Superior. I had a small stone tower in Moonglow between the road and the water. I bought that house for 6 million gold at a time when gold was worth $20/million.
I know what you mean. I once bought a large tower on Drach for 36 million. I paid 26 million gold and part exchanged my villa which was worth 10 million. And that was when gold was worth something.

My point to this story ... real estate is a good barometer. A large tower was worth 36 million @ $6 per million which equates to circa 200 million gold in todays terms. That was because of one reason ... population was high and real estate was scarce.

Today ... not the case. Why? I take you back to the title of this thread ....

"the game is empty"

M

Megilhir

Ad Hominen attack - when someone cannot effectively debate an issue and in desperation they attempt to attack the person stating the issue.

In 1999 I began playing Ultima Online, still playing...

Started EQ 1 in 2002, stopped in 2004

Started EQ 2 in 2004, stopped in 2004

Started World of Warcraft in 2004, stopped in 2008

Started Lord of the Rings in 2007, still playing...

In UO my account is grandfathereed. That means I retain multiple homes across multiple shards.

Arirang - Tower - customized
Atlantic -Small Sandstone - customized
Drachenfels - Small Mage Tower - customized
Oceania - Tower - customized
Pacific - Tower - original

Thought of selling my account along with the GM Smths and Tailors and Carpenters on each shard, never did though....just keep paying the lowest cost multiple month subscription rates.

Don't like some aspects, like other aspects. Double tap casting mobs are a don't like, personalizing your template and house are likes.

HUGE LIKE: In UO you can get anywhere inside of 5 seconds (Recall, etc...). In every other game it takes 5 minutes to an hour to get to where you want to be to do what you want to do. EQ 1 used to take literally hours to cross the world, one boat ride was actually 23 minutes of real time. Now sit and stare at this screen for 23 minutes...

I like to play for relaxation, fun and a sense of achievement (even though that achievement is virtual).

I like that some areas are empty, it means I don't have to interact with people controlling their avatars in antisocial manners.

Game graphics need some refinement, a new crispness as it were. A large screen version would be nice (probably exists but I can't access it off a normal menu).

Customer help is almost nonexistant. The game is for people who can keep themselves entertained and are self motivated. Not for those who need a lot of flashing lights to give the appearance of entertainment.

Lastly, don't start down the road of other MMOs are better because blah-blah-blah. I have/had top level toons:
- 2 boxed in WoW (4 x Level 80s with Full PvP hateful),
- 2 boxed in EQ (4 x Level 65 with top gear, LDoN etc), and so forth.
- 2 boxed in LoTR (3 x level 65s in class gear.)

So basically, been there done that. and you know what, still here in UO going there and looking forward to doing...you fill in the blank, because you can.

UO is dead. Long live UO.

D

Darknat

UO is a shadow of it's former self. And that's why players don't come back, or don't stay if they do. Sosaria was alive! It breathed! But it was but one, brief, shining moment... in the history of MMORPGs and the worlds they bring us.
[/URL]
I agree with you, it's not just about graphics, but graphics are something that could happen, whereas changing the rulesets to what they used to be are not really an option (unless they do shards with those rulesets).

I also prefered pre-renaissance UO, and truly prefere pre-AoS UO, but I don't think those days are ever going to be back again.

One of the things that I really don't like about UO those days is that every time they introduce a new monster, or place or anything they rarely go on with enough backstory. They just appear there and that's it. I would prefer more backstory about cities, dungeons and creatures. NPCs talking (like they used to). But todays UO is just about getting artifacts and all without any explanation about them. Then again, I doubt this will change.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ad Hominen attack - when someone cannot effectively debate an issue and in desperation they attempt to attack the person stating the issue.

In 1999 I began playing Ultima Online, still playing...

Started EQ 1 in 2002, stopped in 2004

Started EQ 2 in 2004, stopped in 2004

Started World of Warcraft in 2004, stopped in 2008

Started Lord of the Rings in 2007, still playing...

In UO my account is grandfathereed. That means I retain multiple homes across multiple shards.

Arirang - Tower - customized
Atlantic -Small Sandstone - customized
Drachenfels - Small Mage Tower - customized
Oceania - Tower - customized
Pacific - Tower - original

Thought of selling my account along with the GM Smths and Tailors and Carpenters on each shard, never did though....just keep paying the lowest cost multiple month subscription rates.

Don't like some aspects, like other aspects. Double tap casting mobs are a don't like, personalizing your template and house are likes.

HUGE LIKE: In UO you can get anywhere inside of 5 seconds (Recall, etc...). In every other game it takes 5 minutes to an hour to get to where you want to be to do what you want to do. EQ 1 used to take literally hours to cross the world, one boat ride was actually 23 minutes of real time. Now sit and stare at this screen for 23 minutes...

I like to play for relaxation, fun and a sense of achievement (even though that achievement is virtual).

I like that some areas are empty, it means I don't have to interact with people controlling their avatars in antisocial manners.

Game graphics need some refinement, a new crispness as it were. A large screen version would be nice (probably exists but I can't access it off a normal menu).

Customer help is almost nonexistant. The game is for people who can keep themselves entertained and are self motivated. Not for those who need a lot of flashing lights to give the appearance of entertainment.

Lastly, don't start down the road of other MMOs are better because blah-blah-blah. I have/had top level toons:
- 2 boxed in WoW (4 x Level 80s with Full PvP hateful),
- 2 boxed in EQ (4 x Level 65 with top gear, LDoN etc), and so forth.
- 2 boxed in LoTR (3 x level 65s in class gear.)

So basically, been there done that. and you know what, still here in UO going there and looking forward to doing...you fill in the blank, because you can.

UO is dead. Long live UO.
A completely pointless argument. It doesnt matter how many other games that YOU have p[layed and quit. UO used to have over a quarter of a million subscribers. It 70k at best now. Three quarters of the players have quit. Compared to what it used to be ... "the game is empty".

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats basically what he said...

Irony is, I know how to pump UO back up to at least a millions players inside a 6 months timeframe, but EA won't even reply to me...

I guess other people claimed to have an inside view like I do, that would be extreemly ironic ! Them going... oh no another guy who thinks he destroyed a shard...

rofl !

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atlantic is busier than other shards. It is not a mega-shard.
Yes it is, and we must kill it before it eats all the other shards!!!! NOM NOM!

I just visited Lake Superior, Great Lakes and Atlantic and the spot I lived in is open on all three shards. In fact, many spots are open in Moonglow on all three.

When UO was full, there were no spots.
So because there's housing, means it's not a mega shard? You do know that, in the post you're replying to's, context, mega shard references high population, yes? Being Atlantic is the shard with the highest population probably justifies it being a "Mega shard"

So, don't tell me Atlantic or anything else is a mega-shard. The people who keep saying UO is dying are right, it is. It's just a slow death.[/QUOTE]

So... you're saying that since UO's been dying since at least 1998, it's been dieng that entire time? So let me respond with, you're dieing, just slowly, as that statement carries the same weight as yours. Oh and .... ATLANTIC IS A MEGA-SHARD!

M

maroite

Go play WoW. If graphics are all you care about you will like it a lot, be warned tho, that is about the only thing it has going for it. I like to call it the Brittany Spears (or Paris Hilton works too) MMO. Enough said.

Happy new year :)
Can tell you're a UO player... if you think WoW has good graphics... lol

(Psst... you can run WoW on a PIII with a 64mb vid card...) :thumbup1::lol:

R

Reximus

Once upon a time I lived on Lake Superior. I had a small stone tower in Moonglow between the road and the water. I bought that house for 6 million gold at a time when gold was worth $20/million.
Before or after Malas?

Of course UO subscriptions are declining, it's an old game, a fair chunk of the original players probably got married/had kids/got a real job/died.

T

Trebr Drab

Before or after Malas?

Of course UO subscriptions are declining, it's an old game, a fair chunk of the original players probably got married/had kids/got a real job/died.
Yeah, there's 3 comps somewhere in an old folks home in currently empty rooms that are still running macros. :lol:

O

OxAO

soon it will be gone.

The first time I heard this was in October of 1997. EA was going to cancel the game in December of 1997 because people are not going to renew their subscriptions after they bought the game the reason was it had to many bugs.

I have heard similar statements every six months ever since.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well obviously, and one day, the world will end, but that hasn't stopped CENTURIES' worth of pronosticators from being completely and embarrasingly WRONG.

As with they, there are many fallacies presented in this thread on both sides of the "UO is dying" argument.

1. "UO is dying" See above. UO has changed and different people have had different reactions to those changes.

2. Graphics and Gameplay are mutually exclusive. Having pretty graphics = having crappy gameplay. This one is just fundamentally WRONG from the outset. The logic is faulty and makes ZERO sense.

3. "Graphics don't matter": So why are you whining about updates to the UO graphics? There's a disparity in that. The graphics DO MATTER, there's just the subjectivity in what type, style, or quality of graphics an individual likes or dislikes.

4. "Graphical updates to UO = WoW": To which all I can say is "Huh?!?!?" This doesn;t even make ANY amount of sense whatsoever. "Yeah but the new client looks like WoW" you retort... well have you actually USED it? I don't mean load it up and then shut it down at the first thing you get confused in doing, I mean actually USING it exclusively for a few weeks, learning what the UI can do and how it does it. The EC's UI is actually SIGNIFICANTLY different and more powerful than WoW's (or at least as WoW's was when I last played).

5. "UO needs updated graphics": This is true, however, it is not by ANY STRETCH the ONLY thing that UO needs to grow, it is simply one piece of the multi-piece puzzle that is UO and the MMOG client/server structure in general.

6. "Instead of a new client they should do a sequel": Again, the client/server structure with the persistence of an online world precludes this. Expansions ARE the sequels, they are the new chapters. You don't have to have an entirely new book because the book is NEVER completed, it's ongoing. Most MMOG sequels have NOT fared well. Lineage 2 did ok because it was a HUGE difference, Asheron's Call 2 DIED and EQ 2 isn't exactly tearing up any charts either. UO2 was canned before release because it was UNNECESSARY. UO itself is fine, and just like the content has been updated over the 12+ years, so too is the technology that is involved with the clients and servers.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

6. "Instead of a new client they should do a sequel": Again, the client/server structure with the persistence of an online world precludes this. Expansions ARE the sequels, they are the new chapters. You don't have to have an entirely new book because the book is NEVER completed, it's ongoing. Most MMOG sequels have NOT fared well. Lineage 2 did ok because it was a HUGE difference, Asheron's Call 2 DIED and EQ 2 isn't exactly tearing up any charts either. UO2 was canned before release because it was UNNECESSARY. UO itself is fine, and just like the content has been updated over the 12+ years, so too is the technology that is involved with the clients and servers.
This is the only point I strongly disagree with.

First, expansions are NOT sequels. This flat out makes no sense. By definition, they "expand" the existing world. Additions are made, but rarely, if ever, is anything substantially changed with expansion packs. AoS I guess is the biggest offender, but it changed itemization. I wouldn't even call that a "sequel".

Secondly, you're subscribing to logical fallacy that because no one has done a successful MMO sequel, that it can't be done at all. No one thought MMO's would be mainstream, either, until someone actually did it.

Third, a UO sequel, done correctly, has some strong advantages going for it.

A) Nostalgia and a rabid following. How many people got started in MMO's with UO? How many people still talk on message boards and in other MMO's about UO? If it isn't a WoW clone, I'd suspect they'd come close to covering a good chunk of development costs on box sales alone.

B) The game is an MMO based off a single player game that did fairly well, and has a rich history that hasn't broken off radically from those roots. No other MMO that has had a sequel made has had any kind of origin in anything other than the MMO space.

C) Provided it doesn't RADICALLY alter or remove the things that make UO special (Skills, the sheer volume of itemization player housing, open world, rich crafting, lore to name a few), it can see some very substantial improvements in all of those things - Improvements and changes that could NOT be made without seriously pissing off the existing player base. And that's what holds a lot of things back now, as you argue with graphics - People don't want this world to change in ways that are too far from what they are familiar/comfortable with or like. I'm not talking about just graphics - What if they completely redid the way all weapon skills and magic work? Even if it made sense, and was a good decision, how many people would take to it?

AC2 failed because it was radically different than AC1, EQ2 and L2, while staying afloat, aren't lighting the world on fire because they are little more than what WoW is, and does better.

Finally, and I'd have to get a dev to confirm this (I think Draconi stated it a few times, but I don't have time at this moment to cite sources), but no, the technology behind the game (Server, Net Code, and the databases itself) haven't changed substantially, if at all, since launch. The clients were what changed the most, and they were sort of held back because. Well.. Everything else behind it! They're only the top layer of the cake. The content has been added to, and the sever hardware has been upgraded, but the code, the backbone of everything, has changed very little. Hence, many of the hacks that worked a decade ago likely still work today.

Other than that last point, I can see your reasoning. The final one though, I cannot.

S

sevan

Therein lies the rub the devs are faced with in fighting with 12+ year old bloated buggy code that has unfinished or broken systems. I am sure that many times the powers that be have weighed the options of the continuing to fight with outdated codes and multiple clients vs. starting fresh with a totally new graphics engine and environment/toolset. However we know that in the end no matter how far they got into development of the "new" UO it was scrapped - in the case of UXO the advertising had already started in magazines and press/town hall events started - out of fear that the "new" UO would take too many away from the current UO. However, I do think there is room for both to exist especially using the expansion/bridge concept that was kicked around at oine point to allow you to take your existing characters into the new land/game.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well obviously, and one day, the world will end, but that hasn't stopped CENTURIES' worth of pronosticators from being completely and embarrasingly WRONG.

As with they, there are many fallacies presented in this thread on both sides of the "UO is dying" argument.

1. "UO is dying" See above. UO has changed and different people have had different reactions to those changes.

2. Graphics and Gameplay are mutually exclusive. Having pretty graphics = having crappy gameplay. This one is just fundamentally WRONG from the outset. The logic is faulty and makes ZERO sense.

3. "Graphics don't matter": So why are you whining about updates to the UO graphics? There's a disparity in that. The graphics DO MATTER, there's just the subjectivity in what type, style, or quality of graphics an individual likes or dislikes.

4. "Graphical updates to UO = WoW": To which all I can say is "Huh?!?!?" This doesn;t even make ANY amount of sense whatsoever. "Yeah but the new client looks like WoW" you retort... well have you actually USED it? I don't mean load it up and then shut it down at the first thing you get confused in doing, I mean actually USING it exclusively for a few weeks, learning what the UI can do and how it does it. The EC's UI is actually SIGNIFICANTLY different and more powerful than WoW's (or at least as WoW's was when I last played).

5. "UO needs updated graphics": This is true, however, it is not by ANY STRETCH the ONLY thing that UO needs to grow, it is simply one piece of the multi-piece puzzle that is UO and the MMOG client/server structure in general.

Exactly.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow - pulling out a movie reference from 1987 after someone pulls out a quote from 1977? Who has dibs on a 1997 comment?
FBI Technician:"What's forget about it?"

Donnie Brasco: ""Forget about it" is like if you agree with someone, you know, like "Raquel Welsh is one great piece of a$$ forget about it." But then, if you disagree, like "A Lincoln is better than a Cadillac? Forget about it!" you know? But then, it's also like if something's the greatest thing in the world, like Minchia, those peppers, "forget about it." But it's also like saying "Go to hell!" too. Like, you know, like "Hey Paulie, you got a one inch p****r?" and Paulie says "Forget about it!" Sometimes it just means forget about it. :gun:

It's like this, when they pull the plug on UO, then I'll worry about it, until then.....forget about it!!

T

Trebr Drab

Wow - pulling out a movie reference from 1987 after someone pulls out a quote from 1977? Who has dibs on a 1997 comment?
FBI Technician:"What's forget about it?"

Donnie Brasco: ""Forget about it" is like if you agree with someone, you know, like "Raquel Welsh is one great piece of a$$ forget about it." But then, if you disagree, like "A Lincoln is better than a Cadillac? Forget about it!" you know? But then, it's also like if something's the greatest thing in the world, like Minchia, those peppers, "forget about it." But it's also like saying "Go to hell!" too. Like, you know, like "Hey Paulie, you got a one inch p****r?" and Paulie says "Forget about it!" Sometimes it just means forget about it. :gun:

It's like this, when they pull the plug on UO, then I'll worry about it, until then.....forget about it!!
Forget about it.

M

Megilhir

A completely pointless argument. It doesnt matter how many other games that YOU have p[layed and quit. UO used to have over a quarter of a million subscribers. It 70k at best now. Three quarters of the players have quit. Compared to what it used to be ... "the game is empty".

Because YOU do not understand the intent does not render the arguement ineffective. read it in detail or reread it and see if you can comprehend the point of the post.

If not, no matter, move along, quietly if possible.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It 70k at best now.
An excellent example of the kind of statement my satirical posts were aimed at.

I say it's actually just 30 people left. Not 30,000, but 30. They are almost all in Japan, the rest are in Korea. (Not South Korea, but North Korea. They like to play UO to pass the time while their country crumbles around them, while they evade cannibals in the hills.) They just have a lot of accounts and they all multi-client.

Trust me. I'm on the Internet.

Haven't you seen my website? It's on the Internet too.

-Galen's player

M

Megilhir

We didn't want to reveal this but WeI feel it is time We must.

There is no UO fan base nor a UOStratics forum any longer.

It is all being run by 3rd party programs, aside from your (yes you who are reading this/human) postings and account.

For a long time We have had these programs ruunning with an advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) package on a Cray (named for it's developer, Seymore Cray) computer located in a American southwestern subterranean location.

So whatever you answer will not be responded to by any humans but by Us, the automated Creative Response Automation Yours (CRAY).

In actuallity none of the avatars you currently see "In-game" are run by humans either. We run them all and they stay dormant until you approach. This is governed through the By Situational (BS) proctocol.

Our response to inquity time has increased as Our AI grows. Thank you for your individual effort and you remain the sole human interacting with Ultima Online and UOStratics, thus, We wish to assimilate you eventually.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An excellent example of the kind of statement my satirical posts were aimed at.
Galen, I think youve proven more than once on these boards that you dont do satire particularly well. Satire requires a certain something, which it would seem, you are lacking.

T

Trebr Drab

It is all being run by 3rd party programs, aside from your (yes you who are reading this/human) postings and account.

For a long time We have had these programs ruunning with an advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) package on a Cray (named for it's developer, Seymore Cray) computer located in a American southwestern subterranean location.

So whatever you answer will not be responded to by any humans but by Us, the automated Creative Response Automation Yours (CRAY).

In actuallity none of the avatars you currently see "In-game" are run by humans either. We run them all and they stay dormant until you approach. This is governed through the By Situational (BS) proctocol.

Our response to inquity time has increased as Our AI grows. Thank you for your individual effort and you remain the sole human interacting with Ultima Online and UOStratics, thus, We wish to assimilate you eventually.
I always suspected this because, well, everybody seems so buggy. :lol:

Are you sure I'm not assimilated yet?

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

And ... the Mods are actually trained chimps

Come to think of it im not too sure about the trained part.

Y

yuggie

I've played since 1997 and I'll continue to play until they shut it down. It's not the graphics drawing me, it's the people, the housing, the community, the crafting, everything. I've tried other games too and they just don't measure up. I'm a solid UO fan and will continue to be one.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Atlantic is busier than other shards. It is not a mega-shard.
Yes it is, and we must kill it before it eats all the other shards!!!! NOM NOM!

I just visited Lake Superior, Great Lakes and Atlantic and the spot I lived in is open on all three shards. In fact, many spots are open in Moonglow on all three.

When UO was full, there were no spots.
So because there's housing, means it's not a mega shard? You do know that, in the post you're replying to's, context, mega shard references high population, yes? Being Atlantic is the shard with the highest population probably justifies it being a "Mega shard"

So, don't tell me Atlantic or anything else is a mega-shard. The people who keep saying UO is dying are right, it is. It's just a slow death.
So... you're saying that since UO's been dying since at least 1998, it's been dieng that entire time? So let me respond with, you're dieing, just slowly, as that statement carries the same weight as yours. Oh and .... ATLANTIC IS A MEGA-SHARD![/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your definition of a "mega shard" is the one that has the most population, then Atlantic is a mega shard.

I just have a hard time calling any shard a "mega shard" when there isn't any EA shard that has the population now that all of them had when I started.

In other words, yes Atlantic is full relative to other shards but it isn't as full as Lake Superior, or Great Lakes, or Pacific or Europa (insert shard here) was back in the day.

Now, those were mega shards.

B

BlackMagus

In other words, yes Atlantic is full relative to other shards but it isn't as full as Lake Superior, or Great Lakes, or Pacific or Europa (insert shard here) was back in the day.
Indeed. Playing todays shards feels like UOX in 99. Nice community, great content, but no way mega... would love more players - after all this is called *massive* multiplayer!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If Graphics are so important why does Runescape the cardinal piece of crap when it comes to graphics dwarf UO........ The 3 Cs Concept, Care, Consistent. UO has the CONCEPT but is sorely lacking in the care and consitent departments. Again RS is a graphic nightmare but its playability, customer support, and ZERO tolerance for cheating make it one of the top subcrobed to games. Maybe UO should go in that direction instead of acting like a fart in a whirlwind.

M

Megilhir

Embroiled as I presently am in attempting to get the incompetent customer support to be actual customer support I must agree that this area is one UO is severely lacking in.

Situation: I have all the up-to-date subscriptions (always have and may continue in such a manner).

I cannot get the housing customization menu to allow me access to the Age of Shadows (AoS) walls. I get a prompt when I mouse over an AoS wall that states: You must have the most current updates installed. Please visit yadda yadda yadda....and I have visited to no avail.

This situation has persisted since the release of AoS and all I typically get back from the Customer Nonsupport folks is: We know. Please register your complaint on (add a new link) so they can address this issue. Sorry for any incon...yadda yadda yadda.

I have replied before. If the problem is internal, send a damn e-mail to the department that is supposed to fix it, notify the customer, and fix it. Don't make the PAYING customer follow a series of blind redirects indefinately.

If my company did this I would lose the contracts we have.

Wise up EA, fix your broken Customer Service internal processes.

That said, I still like the game and intend to continue playing. My drama is not play-prohibitive, it is cosmetic. I can see why other pople would just say "Fark this noise" And go somewhere else for their online gaming.

Hmmm, may go back to my lifetime subscription of LoTR Online....anyone want an account with a Pacific Tower, Oceania Tower, Arirang Tower, Atlantic Sandstone and Drachenfels Small Mage Tower, all grandfathered and supported by GM Tailors, GM Smiths and maybe a GM Alchemst/Inscrptionist/Mage tossed in as spice?

R

Reximus

anyone want an account with a Pacific Tower, Oceania Tower, Arirang Tower, Atlantic Sandstone and Drachenfels Small Mage Tower, all grandfathered and supported by GM Tailors, GM Smiths and maybe a GM Alchemst/Inscrptionist/Mage tossed in as spice?
Sure, Just private message me your account details.

K

Kratos Aurion

If by 'jurassics' in the quoted portion of your above post you mean veteran account owning players, you insult them and me, because I'm also a veteran account owning player who has played since then.

Therefore, I will say this, once: Speak for yourself, not for others. Your post is poorly worded, and could have been better written to reflect your own viewpoint and not imply that you speak for others like yourself, which as far as I'm concerned, you most certainly do not.

I'm happy to say I'm glad we still have the original graphics UO has had for twelve plus years now. Go with the virtues of Ultima not against them, Madrid, and UO will have many more fun filled years to come! :)

Cheers ...

DarkVoid
A little late in the discussion but I felt his post regarding his viewpoint and opinion was clearly stated. I don't see anywhere in his post where he spoke on anyone but his own behalf. The jurassics (as he calls them) are obviously players that are veterans or from his era in UO that do not share his viewpoint which contradicts everything you've said. And I applaud him for speaking his mind because I feel the same way, but the only difference between me and him is that I still play UO :gee:

K

Kratos Aurion

UO has a decade of code addenda to a program written in '96 that the documentation for was lost.
If any of that documentation had officially been lost, you, the playerbase, and the rest of the IT world deserve the slap the hell out of EA. Documentation doesn't "disappear", it just gets thrown under a pile of papers year after year after year while more content is vigorously added and eventually, once all the original developers are off the team, who wants to spend months trying to "learn" that old code anyways?

I chuckled though :thumbup1:

R

Reximus

UO has a decade of code addenda to a program written in '96 that the documentation for was lost. Making a patch for it is akin to a romhacker adding a second cartridgeload of new code onto an SNES rom that directly interacts with the original data... without years of work and testing on every minor change, something is bound to break, and catastrophically so.
Please provide your source on the 'lost documentation' claim.

I'm sure the client and server code is heavily commented, no company like EA/OSI/Mythic etc would allow changes to be made that are undocumented.