• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

the game is empty

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do I need to prove anything when you can prove nothing? What you NEED to do is grow up. Login servers have not been an issue for me. Maybe you need mom and dad to buy you a new computer? :twak:
In case you're not the only one this wasn't clear to....My posts are satire.

Specifically, a satire of the way people will believe it when someone claims to have "insider information" that just so happens to correspond to what the reader wants, or needs, to believe at the time. For example, those 2 sites that claim to have insider information about MMO subscription rates. For another example, see the perennial "UO is dying" threads, such as this one.

The first prediction of UO's imminent death that I could locate was on the Usenet, and it was within a couple of months of the game's launch. The issue then: The ferry from Skara Brae to the mainland hadn't been turned on yet.

One day, these threads will be proven right, but it'll be just be coincidental. When you predict your own death every day you live, one day you'll be right, just by definition.

My posts are satire. I have no inside information of anything let alone that UO is "already dead."

But the point is that my satirical claims aren't much more outrageous than other claims, made in apparent sincerity, that are routinely believed.

-Galen's player

S

sevan

*rolls eyes* Ok Agent 99, where is this "insider information" that you have? I'm pretty sure yours is the most laughable post on stratics at the moment.
I think the best line was when he said "Trust Me. I'm on the Internet".

Although he should have spelled Internet with a "s" at the end.

-Peter Pan's gots kids?

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case you're not the only one this wasn't clear to....My posts are satire.

Specifically, a satire of the way people will believe it when someone claims to have "insider information" that just so happens to correspond to what the reader wants, or needs, to believe at the time. For example, those 2 sites that claim to have insider information about MMO subscription rates. For another example, see the perennial "UO is dying" threads, such as this one.

The first prediction of UO's imminent death that I could locate was on the Usenet, and it was within a couple of months of the game's launch. The issue then: The ferry from Skara Brae to the mainland hadn't been turned on yet.

One day, these threads will be proven right, but it'll be just be coincidental. When you predict your own death every day you live, one day you'll be right, just by definition.

My posts are satire. I have no inside information of anything let alone that UO is "already dead."

But the point is that my satirical claims aren't much more outrageous than other claims, made in apparent sincerity, that are routinely believed.

-Galen's player
Ok gotcha...That was actually pretty funny now that I "get it" so if you are being a smartass, tell me you are being a smartass and then I won't call you a dumbass? lol MY BAD

B

BlackMagus

Let me add my 2c as very recently returned 90s UO player:

The game is still nice on a busy server like Atlantic.

But face the facts:

- Back in the golden days the servers have been *way* busier (anyone travelled to one of the Tram/Fel cities beyond Brit West Bank?).

- The servers have drawn a way more stable stream of new players (I have yet to meet a newb besides me that isn't actually just the 21st additional toon of a veteran...)

- The kids today will not start playing UO for the cool gameplay if it doesn't come with nice graphics (I love the retro look too, but have you ppl actually played any other games besides UO in the last decade?)

I think in comparison to the days back then UO doesn't lack in gameplay, it just lacks in scale. I actually like how they kept the balance with all the changes since T2A, and think this is still the strong UO it has been back then.

UO is no longer the game where I can choose shard, facet, home city, and play style to my liking and always enjoy a busy game experience - to have fun and find social interaction today, you have to heavily adapt to the population situation.

Anyways, still enough fun to have me pay for a new account after 10 years of absence. :)

LadyKeroOfAtl

UO Homes & Castles News Reporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may play on the most populated shard but even it's more crowded then it's been in a long time.

I have more and more returning players coming to my shop/library looking for help.
I see new/returning players asking questions in the new chat feature every time I'm on.

I've tried all of the 'fancy' games including darkfall and wow, Couldn't hold interest for more then a few weeks.

Yes, 30 people have already said it, nice graphics don't make the game.
The community & sandbox play style make it.

Hell, compared to other games I'm just happy I don't have endless questing and level grinding.

C

canary

I see new/returning players asking questions in the new chat feature every time I'm on.

I've tried all of the 'fancy' games including darkfall and wow, Couldn't hold interest for more then a few weeks.
... and just like you in other games, the 'new/ returning' players will lose interest in UO and go on to other games or return to the ones they were playing before.

Just because they've returned for a short duration is no indication of their longevity. I guess I should also remind people there was recently a 'Return To Britannia' campaign that allowed players to return for free... so it would make sense in the recent past to see others.

I would advise those that think UO has gained SOOOO many subscribers in the recent past to simply take off their blinders and be realistic. UO's sky is not falling, but there has been little to inject a true amount of enthusiasm towards the game. Our last real attempt was the face lift of KR, and we ALL know what a mess the UO team made of that.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I actually prefer the low-population shards. That's not to say I don't call Atlantic my home, but that is because my friends play there. IMHO, Atlantic is too crowded for my personal preference. I like that there is tons of opportunity on the smaller shards and often little competetion. The downside, however, is that the merchant base is poor and offerings can be slim. Try finding a stat scroll on some of the smaller shards and you'll see what I mean. I ultimately did a char transfer and brought some extra stat scrolls with me to outfit my chars on a smaller shard. I wish there was a way around this limitation to draw players to these smaller shards but I have a sense UO-urbanization is pulling the masses toward a few mega-shards. Ironic how that mirrors trends in the real-world.

-OBSIDIAN-

C

canary

Ok gotcha...That was actually pretty funny now that I "get it" so if you are being a smartass, tell me you are being a smartass and then I won't call you a dumbass? lol MY BAD
Well, seeing as you were the ONLY one who didn't get that he was joking... :loser:

S

sevan

I wish there was a way around this limitation to draw players to these smaller shards but I have a sense UO-urbanization is pulling the masses toward a few mega-shards. Ironic how that mirrors trends in the real-world.

-OBSIDIAN-
I agree 100% with this observation. Most (if not all) of the people I used to play with on Lake Superior and Lake Austin seem to have migrated to Atlantic and Great Lakes.

What do you consider the main "mega-shards" to be - beyond the obvious Atlantic one?

N

NaKasha Saran

Before I quit, I preferred a low population shard also. There was more of a home & family feel with the community. That's why I stayed with Legends for 8 years.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is ingsmsico really Ken Olson? You be the judge

no one is really playing UO anymore, soon it will be gone.
“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.” — Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC), maker of big business mainframe computers, arguing against the PC in 1977.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But he's right. It IS empty. People AREN'T playing.. but.. that's because of THE HOLIDAYS AND NEW YEARS. People will start coming back in January, just like every year, as this is always a quiet time for UO aside from the holiday gifts.
This :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
"The night was.... moist..."

(wads up paper and throws it into the pile overflowing the garbage can)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Madrid, I couldn't have said it better.
Current players will probably answer that UO isn't about graphics, UO runs on a 10 year old computer, and they will quit when they're forced to play a halfway decent looking game.

What most veterans fail to grasp is that

1. UO will hardly get new players with the current game clients.
2. As a direct result, UO will fade away.
3. Game content alone is not enough.
4. Good graphics are important for game atmosphere.

Unfortunately, UO has become a game of item hoarders who just reject any kind of change. Unfortunately, the developers seem to be unable to create a game client with good graphics that is technically ok (I would have assumed that lack of funds may be the reason, but with the money that was wasted on 3 horrible new clients, they could have made a really cool client).
The Enhanced Client is a good start, but its graphics still are very disappointing (albeit better than Legacy Client), not to mention all the bugs.

I haven't given up hope that sometime someone will create a fantastic game client for UO. That would be UO's true renaissance.

I'm sorry but the graphics are sorely lacking. I closed 4 accounts with the release of SA & the EC client. Had they left UOKR on the table as an option I'd still be playing. I understand their POV in that they don't want to maintain mulptiple clients but the EC was 3 steps backwards from a visual standpoint.

I often check the boards here on stratics and would like to make a return to the game I will always cherish and love but the current graphics are **** poor.

I'm sure we'll get the "I play for game quality not graphics and if I wanted a game with great graphics I'd be playing WoW" typical response. To all those reread the title of this thread...there is a reason UO is getting emptier and emptier and it's not because of a lack of content.

The reality is having a game with good graphics and content aren't mutually exclusive of one another. UOKR was a step in the right direction. I wish the advancement in graphics and higher resolution would have been taken a step further beyond UOKR towards what was going on in the Titan Quest game engine but instead it went in reverse.

How do you honestly expect to draw in new players/customers (which is essential to the survival of any business)? With these ridiculous outdated graphics circa 1997...it's not going to happen.

Get Saphrineena on the payroll and start retouching the graphics and maybe in a year or two we'll have a game with some decent high resolution graphics. But the LOW resolution has got to go at some point in order to move this game forward.

I was around when Rainz firefielded Lord British to death. I am a HUGE fan of Ultima and always will be but the 2D graphics and all those low resolution graphics of that era have served their purpose. It's time to move on...

As for the jurrassics..and there are many of them...they are the reason the game is dying and apparently even they are leaving the game after lobbying against UOKR which despite all it's flaws was forward progress.

I hope to make a return someday soon. I hope UO stays around for another 25-30 years but something needs to be done to attract new players as well as old veterans like myself who are burnt out to hell with those ****ty 2d graphics.:bdh:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I agree 100% with this observation. Most (if not all) of the people I used to play with on Lake Superior and Lake Austin seem to have migrated to Atlantic and Great Lakes.

What do you consider the main "mega-shards" to be - beyond the obvious Atlantic one?
Atlantic is the only mega-shard at the moment, but I foresee Great Lakes and Pacific growing and other shard's population diminishing.

-OBSIDIAN-

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, seeing as you were the ONLY one who didn't get that he was joking... :loser:
Yeah I will admit I didn't get it but then what's new? That's the story of my life lol SORRY I DIDN'T GET THE JOKE! The whole time I was thinking either someone was posting under him or he had lost his mind :D

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your out of your Tree trunks !
For one I play a few shards (over 15) and have seen the declines in some, sure Catskills is lower in Luna Bank sitters or Baja to name a few I have stoped in to look at what was once peek hours. I found however Peek hours have changed for some. Plain out Try Hokuto for 1, Chessy for 2, and the ever popular Atl. You cant get a house in edge wise on Hokuto, chessy has a few and I mean a Few spots open. Atlantic ... lets not go there geesh its stuffed! These are just a few of them that are populated. Each Japaneese shard is briming. Ever go to Europa? or Drach? They are thinner yes. Try their time zone and go see. OK you nay sayers, the country is in a resession, yes UO population is lower, but did you ever consider how many of our fellow players have it rough? Alot of Jobs got lost, homes reposessed, they are fighting to keep sane. A game is not priorty 1. RL is. I love UO - pay enough each month for some Dev's salary. Im retired and can aford it for now. The Same thing is hitting WOW, a family I know from my wow shard sent me word to explain that they sold their accounts and to awaire it was not them. I knew the resession hit them hard. They just couldnt aford the game and I suspect they needed the money to keep other things going. In our ecconomy its bad for many of our old friends who cant make their ends meet and I respect their privacy and offer them this word. Ill try my best to keep UO doors open for their return. Yes our graphics are older then they should be but thats the charm of UO. Many new people fall in love with it. I own a few wow accounts too and play but I find UO draws me more. You can only go so far in WOW before it gets too repetitive. Wash-Rince-Repeat grinds on my head to the point one wants the refreshing play of UO. I dont have to chase that dragon .. or kill that pk if I dont want to. I have choices. I dont have to fight for ore, gems or mats to make what I need. Id like to see UO open up House placement, go back to the old 1 house per shard. Fill in the gaping holes in the landscape with houses! But stop saying UO is dead, we have listend to that same speach for 12 damn years and I am sick of it. Yes one day it might come to pass but it be over my dead body if i have anything to say about it.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For one I play a few shards (over 15) and have seen the declines in some, sure Catskills is lower in Luna Bank sitters or Baja to name a few I have stoped in to look at what was once peek hours. I found however Peek hours have changed for some. Plain out Try Hokuto for 1, Chessy for 2, and the ever popular Atl. You cant get a house in edge wise on Hokuto, chessy has a few and I mean a Few spots open. Atlantic ... lets not go there geesh its stuffed! These are just a few of them that are populated. Each Japaneese shard is briming. Ever go to Europa? or Drach? They are thinner yes. Try their time zone and go see. OK you nay sayers, the country is in a resession, yes UO population is lower, but did you ever consider how many of our fellow players have it rough? Alot of Jobs got lost, homes reposessed, they are fighting to keep sane. A game is not priorty 1. RL is. I love UO - pay enough each month for some Dev's salary. Im retired and can aford it for now. The Same thing is hitting WOW, a family I know from my wow shard sent me word to explain that they sold their accounts and to awaire it was not them. I knew the resession hit them hard. They just couldnt aford the game and I suspect they needed the money to keep other things going. In our ecconomy its bad for many of our old friends who cant make their ends meet and I respect their privacy and offer them this word. Ill try my best to keep UO doors open for their return. Yes our graphics are older then they should be but thats the charm of UO. Many new people fall in love with it. I own a few wow accounts too and play but I find UO draws me more. You can only go so far in WOW before it gets too repetitive. Wash-Rince-Repeat grinds on my head to the point one wants the refreshing play of UO. I dont have to chase that dragon .. or kill that pk if I dont want to. I have choices. I dont have to fight for ore, gems or mats to make what I need. Id like to see UO open up House placement, go back to the old 1 house per shard. Fill in the gaping holes in the landscape with houses! But stop saying UO is dead, we have listend to that same speach for 12 damn years and I am sick of it. Yes one day it might come to pass but it be over my dead body if i have anything to say about it.
You tell 'em! *high fives* :)

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I moved from Sonoma to GL to Legends and finally settled on Atlantic years ago. I don't really see the population decline as much as others. Cities in Trammel haven't been populated in YEARS, so I don't consider that a new thing.

I avoid Luna as much as possible, but it's usually packed when I go there.

Anyway, population decline is probably inevitable. UO is a great game, but most kids are going to be interested in the newer stuff. Can't really do much about that. Eventually, Mythic will have to tackle the very difficult subject of shard merges... but I think if they did that in another year or two and condensed the population to fewer shards, UO would have another good 5 years left in her.

It's an MMO. Most of us want to play with other people. I am just grateful that things like Character Transfers are available, although I'm not a big fan of how they are used to affect the economy.

M

mutau

I think the amount of people that come and go is cyclical.

Many come back to the game for its complexity, not for the graphics. And then some leave again for the newest thing that comes out that is eye candy.

Many have left because of the economy. I hope that they didn't sell their account, or when they come back, they enjoy making new chars.

Some have left for the holidays. But they'll be back.

Maybe you hit the shard at the wrong time.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO:KR changed the entire view of the virtual world. Most hated, it made some physically sick, and had, in my opinion, the worst artistic direction possible. And just to be snarky, yes, I do believe Nethack had a better graphic style than KR did.

UO:EC attempted to keep the 2D style and world, but actually ended up making the 2D, which is crisp and clear, blurry and bastardized with pieces of higher resolution KR artwork and badly rendered 2D artwork.

Neither of these clients will do. Neither of their interfaces were exceptional or well thought out. They were more like side projects - remnants of what was left of Gamebryo licenses. Neither were or will be the primary source of new customers, unless they do exactly what Saphireena has done for all 2D artwork, and they are apparently unable or unwilling to do what she does in her free time for the sake of this product.

The 2D client is dated. The server and client code are both decade old piles of spaghetti that no one dares touch because they don't know if the thread the pull is the one that unravels the whole tapestry.

Graphics are important.

Gameplay is important.

The world they create together, and how players view that world, is most important.

Here is the first and last thing that needs be said whenever someon mentions another client, or the end of UO:

If the client isn't running UO2, it's not worth fighting over or complaining about, because it will always - at best - be marginally different from original, and it will continue to be so until UO is no longer profitable enough to maintain with their current skeleton crew, and they pull the plug.

Be happy with what you got, folks. Ask for balance and mechanic changes. Ask for new fluff. Ask for anything - As long as you understand, no matter what you ask for, is only going to be slightly better than what you have now. UO will never increase too far beyond what it is now, and it probably shouldn't.

This isn't a negative statement, it's the truth. And there's nothing wrong with accepting the truth, and just being happy and enjoying what you have now. Enjoy your friends and the company you keep. Segregating communities over things that have or never will come to pass is pointless.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice unifying words... but the underlying intent is rotten to the core.

I play UO since beta, I been away for 8 years, the community is strong, the people are cool, but the game is empty and dead.

I consider myself lucky to have been received with arms open like this, people knew who I was, and they still accepted me as I was. But when RL took them over.

Nothing was to be done, I was totally alone, and noone wanted to roleplay. EA didn't even want to help me transfer a house even if I agreed to pay for two accounts for one month.

They flat out refused, I even sent a request on the shard boards for renowed people to help and everyone told me I was wrong to think this is bad customer service, so they refused to even look into my problem.

I eventually left, and let my house that I put a month of work in deco go IDOC. Oh I did curse everything and warned everyone not to take any of it... but I doubt anyone listened, again noone cared.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I eventually left, and let my house that I put a month of work in deco go IDOC. Oh I did curse everything and warned everyone not to take any of it... but I doubt anyone listened, again noone cared.
I'm sorry you had such troubles, but the statement above got me...you "warned everyone not to take any of it?" That is like telling a meth addict to go to church and get a job...oh and by the way DON'T DO METH! lol If a house falls, it takes all of 10 seconds for the stuff to be mopped up. They won't leave it there just because you say not to take it.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah thats the point... :(

They have no role... and thats 95% of UO population. Mindless zombies.

And noone will unite and raise against THEM !

They're cowards !!!

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes... let's not mention any OTHER templates you could customize. Necro dexers/ Archer mages/ Mage Sampires (they use summons and have no wep skill, use high end mage weapons)/ Throwing mystics/ necro mages... you know... I think Necro mages/pure mages/parry mages/healer mages just breaks everything you just said... Those are all different versions of the same thing...

Frost mages, fire mages, arcane mages. 3 variations of 1 class. I'd give you "healing mages" if UO actually promoted team play. It does not, its a solo game and only bads need to group.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shame on you Ahuaeyjnkxs!
You say your a Beta player but you have forgot the first rule of those times that taught every BETA player. Let Nothing go to waste!
Im beta too, and i still pick up bottles, save things i know my ppl wil use and i give to new players and old who return a good starter kit from those house falls. So to tell ppl to let it rot and run away like a cry baby cause UO gms didnt help you is what i call cowerdice. You made friends? no one was able to help? This I dont buy at all.

No The players of UO are not Zombies

The shards do have a good population on each you just got ot know where to look. Some its Brit bank , others its New Haven and on one Beleave it or not its a Guild Town!! no bank just vendors and houses. You disapeared for 8 years, hmm lets see
12 years
- 8 years
________
4 years
ok you got some time in the game but to be quite honest you missed a good portion of all the hard work the older players put in to the game.
Mythic Dev is doing good compaired to past Dev teams who didnt listen to the player who pay for this game they have been, EM's who try as best as they can to assist the players and give good content play. Remember they are players too and do operate under the rules of the EA company. I feel sorry no one gave you a hand, had we met I would have given you that hand and helped you. Not for gain but to keep players in the game.

To the Rest of you who think Graphics is the power behind a game..... hog wash! UO in its 12 years has given hundreds of thousands of players years of enjoyment.
We the older players (RL age not game age) play UO for peace and quiet, and stress relief of the day. If you remember Origin didnt let anyone under the age of 18 play UO.
Better point is back then a computer was very expencive and not a KIDS TOY. It was a known fact gms shut down accounts that a young player opened that first year till a parent called. Kids are atracted to glitter and bells and whistles of the new games and just as fast get bored with them. I know one who has gone through this last year alone 1 new game a month and at least 5 non on line games too each and every month. So dont go pointing that GHraphics is the key to UO loss. Mythic is doing its best and in pace with players attention span. So cut them some slack. When i pointed out in my earlier post i play 15 or more shards it means i have homes on most of them, and for your info I will tell you one fact how i know sooooo much. So for the rest of you sit back and buckle your seat belt and put up your tray tables and move that glass of what ever your drinking cause your gunna drop your jaws. I own: 63 homes over 11 shards and have friends I play with on others. Thats 42 active accounts. and i have total of 53 and thats acording to UO Billing. No its not a record there is a few who have more. ***** waits wile ppl do the math*****
No Im not crazy I didnt start out wiht this many I lost over the years friends and gained their accounts. Some are house placer and have a few non played owners but those hold castles. So I do know what I talk of. I play UO. Grow up and get with it, learn nothing is free and that is in real life and in the game. You pay for your play use it wisely. I am a Proud Feluccian Beta player.
Invite your friends to come play. Its not a race to get the best gear.. its toys to enjoy.

You wanted help why the hell didnt you invite your best friend to come join you ??
He could be trusted to help and give you hours of fun to boot.

Graphics freeks grow up you played uo for years when graphics were just above stick figures in the old days. The Charm of UO is that graphics Mythic i think got the point. KR was the last straw for many it pushed many friends to quit. Mythic if your reading this keep up the good work and consider adding more bods to other skills Tinkers etc.. i have friends who would come back in a hot second for more crafter things to do. Sorry for the rants but UO is the one thing thats there for me to play that dont push me to do a set of things to get somewhere. I can go fishing for a few hours and feel good again about the day. Enjoy the freedom of UO.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For one I play a few shards (over 15) and have seen the declines in some, sure Catskills is lower in Luna Bank sitters or Baja to name a few I have stoped in to look at what was once peek hours. I found however Peek hours have changed for some. Plain out Try Hokuto for 1, Chessy for 2, and the ever popular Atl. You cant get a house in edge wise on Hokuto, chessy has a few and I mean a Few spots open. Atlantic ... lets not go there geesh its stuffed! These are just a few of them that are populated. Each Japaneese shard is briming. Ever go to Europa? or Drach? They are thinner yes. Try their time zone and go see. OK you nay sayers, the country is in a resession, yes UO population is lower, but did you ever consider how many of our fellow players have it rough? Alot of Jobs got lost, homes reposessed, they are fighting to keep sane. A game is not priorty 1. RL is. I love UO - pay enough each month for some Dev's salary. Im retired and can aford it for now. The Same thing is hitting WOW, a family I know from my wow shard sent me word to explain that they sold their accounts and to awaire it was not them. I knew the resession hit them hard. They just couldnt aford the game and I suspect they needed the money to keep other things going. In our ecconomy its bad for many of our old friends who cant make their ends meet and I respect their privacy and offer them this word. Ill try my best to keep UO doors open for their return. Yes our graphics are older then they should be but thats the charm of UO. Many new people fall in love with it. I own a few wow accounts too and play but I find UO draws me more. You can only go so far in WOW before it gets too repetitive. Wash-Rince-Repeat grinds on my
head to the point one wants the refreshing play of UO. I dont have to chase that dragon .. or kill that pk if I dont want to. I have choices. I dont have to fight for ore, gems or mats to make what I need. Id like to see UO open up House placement, go back to the old 1 house per shard. Fill in the gaping holes in the landscape with houses! But stop saying UO is dead, we have listend to that same speach for 12 damn years and I am sick of it. Yes one day it might come to pass but it be over my dead body if i have anything to say about it.
Wall of text hits you for 10,000 hp
You are dead.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope I get 1,000,000pts for lambasting a unworthy beta account owner he is no beta player just cause the account was started in 97 I have played the whole time not one month did I not have at least 2 accounts on and mining my tush off.

I am sorry for the wall of text but I do hope you get the point of it.

I know Coldren on Catskills and he is right on alot of points.

S

Sadrith Mora

Lady Storm,

Alot of Jobs got lost, homes reposessed, they are fighting to keep sane. A game is not priorty 1. RL is. I love UO - pay enough each month for some Dev's salary. Im retired and can aford it for now. The Same thing is hitting WOW, a family I know from my wow shard sent me word to explain that they sold their accounts and to awaire it was not them. I knew the resession hit them hard. They just couldnt aford the game and I suspect they needed the money to keep other things going. In our ecconomy its bad for many of our old friends who cant make their ends meet and I respect their privacy and offer them this word. Ill try my best to keep UO doors open for their return. Yes our graphics are older then they should be but thats the charm of UO. Many new people fall in love with it.
Thank you for that post. It's mostlikely more true than most people want to believe...

Here's hoping for a better economy, and a better UO!

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It starts with shame... I won't even read the post.

I know what you're about to tell, I've been told so often.

Pride, the elite...

You'll have to kill me, Angel of sorrow.

UO is dead...

I am the only reason it is still going, zombiemode. When you learn to thank me, you will appreciate what we, the FoA did ; and why I pushed them to do it.

S

slaveone

I'm not sure why people even bother responding to these stupid troll posts but whatever. Since everyone else did might as well get my post count +1. Honestly UO's 2d client graphics are dated but they are still the best looking UO graphics of any client with the possible exception of the original 3d version before they nerfed everything and made the paperdolls look like cabbage patch kids. Reguardless compared to almost all PS3 games even WOW's graphics are pretty lousy at this point and WarHammer well lets not even go there that game looks TERRIBLE!

I don't really see a need anymore for super quality graphics for ONLINE RPG style games. I play UO cause i like the game not really for the graphics. Obviously i like top notch graphics don't feel they are really needed and i'm positive super graphics would equal super lag for a game like UO. Whenever i want to play a game with good graphics thats when i turn on my ps3 and play something like Oblivion or Fallout 3 insert any number of other quality graphic games here....

IMHO an online game like UO doesn't need flashy graphics all it needs is a unique environment and unique people playing it. To me when it comes to MMO's their graphics will always be secondary to the actual game itself. Like i said if you get tired of UO's graphics go play some PS3 for awhile then when you got your graphic fill go back to UO for awhile it works just fine for me! As far as the sky falling for UO i seriously doubt it. I'm sure the game costs EA very little to run at this point and i'm sure even with 50k subscribers EA would still be making a killing off the game.

Long story short UO isn't going anywhere and if you don't like the graphics get a PS3 play that for awhile then log into UO when you get over the whole flashy graphic phase your going through.

M

mutau

I hope the devs are reading this thread.

Consensus ---- We love the game because its NOT a WOW wannabee. It never needed to be.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frost mages, fire mages, arcane mages. 3 variations of 1 class. I'd give you "healing mages" if UO actually promoted team play. It does not, its a solo game and only bads need to group.
Ok... Necro Mages, Necro Swordsman, Necro Archers, Necro Tamers, Bard Tamers, Mage Tamers, Archer tamers. Oh my God... We're combining MULTIPLE CLASSES!!!!!!!! Can You take two classes and mash them together in WoW? That was kind of the whole point you see, I wasn't making a variation of one class, which would be a mage, I was taking the mage and.... *ominous voice* Combining it with OTHER classes. Le Gasp!

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok... Necro Mages, Necro Swordsman, Necro Archers, Necro Tamers, Bard Tamers, Mage Tamers, Archer tamers. Oh my God... We're combining MULTIPLE CLASSES!!!!!!!! Can You take two classes and mash them together in WoW? That was kind of the whole point you see, I wasn't making a variation of one class, which would be a mage, I was taking the mage and.... *ominous voice* Combining it with OTHER classes. Le Gasp!
Ironically, the ability to create just about any template you want (within points limits) whilst being one of UO's biggest plus points, is also one of its biggest drawbacks.

Whilst it makes the game totally freeform and unrestrictive, it also means that Gimplates always have and always will rule. This is made even worse with soulstones as whenever there is a rule change that makes one template dominant, or an item that dictates playing a certain template, people can just hotswap their skills and voila ... instant new gimplate.

Surely this isnt how it should be?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the Rest of you who think Graphics is the power behind a game..... hog wash! UO in its 12 years has given hundreds of thousands of players years of enjoyment.
We the older players (RL age not game age) play UO for peace and quiet, and stress relief of the day. If you remember Origin didnt let anyone under the age of 18 play UO.
[...]
You wanted help why the hell didnt you invite your best friend to come join you ??

Graphics freeks grow up you played uo for years when graphics were just above stick figures in the old days. The Charm of UO is that graphics Mythic i think got the point. KR was the last straw for many it pushed many friends to quit. Mythic if your reading this keep up the good work and consider adding more bods to other skills Tinkers etc.. i have friends who would come back in a hot second for more crafter things to do.
Your posting is good, from your perspective. However, the number of people with such a perspective (graphics don't matter much) is dwindling. I understand you play the game to have fun and relax, and you don't give much about nifty 3D graphics. So do I. However, this is the reason why UO today is mostly played by veterans who are counting their millions or spending days, weeks and months filling BODs.

The number of players who are exploring, going on adventures, visiting dungeons for reasons other than artifacts and rewards, is close to zero. You can easily comprehend this when you watch what kind of dungeons players are visiting. Anti Virtue Dungeons have been deserted when Peerless were introduced. Peerless activity has decreased when people got valuable artifacts in Doom. Today, Doom is almost empty cause people hunt for imbuing resources in the Stygian Abyss. This game is 95% about items, and the reason for this development is the lack of fresh players and the superiority of veterans who want their characters to be beyond perfect.

Actually, I am regularly telling friends about UO and its unique depth, and cautiously ask them if they'd be willing to play such a game. ALL of them (no exception) would not even consider playing a game with such disappointing graphics, no matter how good it is. Its just not state of the art anymore. It's like asking them to play C64 games. We - the veterans - play the game because we're emotionally attached to it. Because we're experienced enough to understand why UO is so much better than WoW. But no player who hasn't experienced UO gameplay for at least 1 year will understand this.

My point is:

EA has to understand that better graphics are NEEDED to keep this game alive, because we - the emotionally attached veterans - are slowly fading away.

Besides, this game would gain a lot from tasteful high-quality graphics. Even to most of the veterans.

T

Trebr Drab

The number of players who are exploring, going on adventures, visiting dungeons for reasons other than artifacts and rewards, is close to zero. You can easily comprehend this when you watch what kind of dungeons players are visiting. Anti Virtue Dungeons have been deserted when Peerless were introduced. Peerless activity has decreased when people got valuable artifacts in Doom. Today, Doom is almost empty cause people hunt for imbuing resources in the Stygian Abyss. This game is 95% about items....
Ok, wait, I need a refresher.

How is this game different than WoW again?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[EDIT: I realized it wasn't cleary who I was responding to, who the "you" I was addressing was. It's Hawkeye.]

I don't really know UO's demographics, I don't really know the literature on why people play video games or what they are looking for in video games.

Based upon your posts, however, you don't know the literature either. You are extrapolating based on guesses.

EA has people who work on these issues. Whether or not their answers are correct is another matter. But the point is that they have specific numbers upon which to make an analysis.

If you want to just argue from anecdotes, I could construct an argument --thin but not much thinner than yours-- that UO actually is getting new players, who are attracted to a game that stresses content over graphics. And does not require an investment in a video card that requires its own power supply, as at least some high-end, modern video cards do. No one thinks UO is getting a lot of new players. Those days are gone for us.

But exactly why is an existing player base not enough, even assuming we're getting no new players, which we appear to be? Are we all dying? Is our gameplay timing out?

None of these appear to be the case. Not from the very small amount of hard data that we actually know (and "know" doesn't mean "I read on the MMORPG Chart"), and not from anecdotal evidence that's rationally collected and looked at. "All my friends quit years ago" is not rationally collected anecdotal evidence. "This game is full of Trammies who don't PvP" is also not rationally collected anecdotal evidence.

Let's examine the key paragraph in your post, point by point:

The number of players who are exploring, going on adventures, visiting dungeons for reasons other than artifacts and rewards, is close to zero.
When people hunted Ogre Lords for gold and Fame and to gain Parry and to look for Vanquishing weapons in the chests, what do you think they were doing? Looking for artifacts and rewards. They were just called something different

You can easily comprehend this when you watch what kind of dungeons players are visiting. Anti Virtue Dungeons have been deserted when Peerless were introduced.
I bet someone said something similar when The Second Age came out and The Lost Lands were introduced.

Also, this hasn't been my experience. I see people using the Dungeons of Sin to train characters, kill time, and hunt moderate amounts of gold in comparative silence. An RP expedition to Despise last in 2009 encountered several people who were just there and were a little surprised to see a bunch of people wander in.

This has been my experience on GL and LS. I can't claim to speak generally for the game.

Peerless activity has decreased when people got valuable artifacts in Doom.
Hmm. Doom predated Mondain's Legacy.

Today, Doom is almost empty cause people hunt for imbuing resources in the Stygian Abyss.
Less activity than when it was the highest-end PvM in the game? Surely so.

Almost empty? Not on LS before I left, in any meaningful sense, and not now on GL, especially now that global chat was introduced.

This game is 95% about items, and the reason for this development is the lack of fresh players and the superiority of veterans who want their characters to be beyond perfect.
Actually, the reason for that would be the release of Age of Shadows, which was almost 7 years ago and it's really high time we vets started to get used to it.

*shrugs*

I'm just stopping there....Too much time, energy, and thought spent going in circles. Almost all of us are arguing from different premises and different standards of evidence from one another. I've tried to generally keep my posts grounded in what can be known and mindful of the problems in the kinds of evidence available. But honestly it's hard to see the point of that.

-Galen's player

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yea it's hawk against hawk and I keep getting ignored...

emotionally attached... right...

Noone is emotionally attached compared to me !!!

*coughs like he's going to spit his lungs out*

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't really have data. But I've been watching this game and its players (and their behavior) for a long time. I think I can estimate pretty well how active my shard is, what kind of people come to play the game, and what the majority of the players is doing.

Of course, what I am posting are my guesses. But they are based on quite accurate observation.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Atlantic is the only mega-shard at the moment, but I foresee Great Lakes and Pacific growing and other shard's population diminishing.

-OBSIDIAN-
Atlantic is busier than other shards. It is not a mega-shard.

There are no mega-shards unless you play on something that isn't run by EA.

Example:

Once upon a time I lived on Lake Superior. I had a small stone tower in Moonglow between the road and the water. I bought that house for 6 million gold at a time when gold was worth $20/million.

I just visited Lake Superior, Great Lakes and Atlantic and the spot I lived in is open on all three shards. In fact, many spots are open in Moonglow on all three.

When UO was full, there were no spots.

So, don't tell me Atlantic or anything else is a mega-shard. The people who keep saying UO is dying are right, it is. It's just a slow death.

S

Sadrith Mora

There will always be an argument about graphics vs. gameplay. Especially today. For me, as well as many others, it's about the gameplay. Without it, any game will suffer in the long run, and eventually be discarded.

Just the other day i decided to take a look back at past DOS games which are still widely available for download from many different websites. Some of these games get great reviews even today from players who never had the chance to play them back when they were released. They can't believe how original and detail oriented the games were compared to some graphical games of today. The graphics back in the 90's though are quite primitive, but that doesn't stop a person's interest when they are seeking a game that has quality depth and complexity to maintain their interest level.

Back in 1992-93 i remember purchasing a game called "Darklands". (Microprose) At release it had a ton of bugs and crashed a lot. I thought the game was awesome from what i could tell before crashing, and wished it didn't have so many problems so i could continue to play it. Well, back then i didn't have internet access like today. I couldn't look for the latest patch to resolve any problems, so i could only play the game so far. I remember trying to make boot disks on my IBM 386 computer, and messing with many different DOS configurations hoping it would resolve the issues. LOL It brings back so many memories...

Just the other day i was able to download Darklands from one of the websites, and it came with all the patch updates for the game already installed. The game runs smooth as silk in my dosbox. It's been almost 18 years since ive played this game, and after getting back into it, it's one of the coolest unique realistic/fantasy combo games i've ever played. Even as primitive as it is compared to today's graphical games, it has that depth and complexity that makes it so worthwhile.

Don't think there is any game since that has been quite as unique... err, except maybe UO :) (Which is why i still play)

Can you even imagine the uproar if UO ever shut down? omg!

D

Darknat

Well, first of all, english is not my main language, so sorry if I don't explain myself as clearly as I would like to.

There will always be an argument about graphics vs. gameplay. Especially today. For me, as well as many others, it's about the gameplay. Without it, any game will suffer in the long run, and eventually be discarded.

I agree with you there, but that's how you (and me) see things. I still play the old Ultimas a lot, Ultima V being my favourite with it's 16 color graphics, yet there are people that just don't get as inmersed in games with old graphics as easily as me, or you, or anyone who doesn't care about the graphics.

I got some friends who used to play UO, and now are playing WoW. They are always saying how much the hate WoW gameplay, and always say that UO has better gameplay, yet they don't want to return because they can't stand the graphics.

There is also people who have never heard of UO and when they see the graphics they don't even donwload it.

Even if it has great gameplay, people won't play long enough to appreciate it if they don't like what they see. Not to mention the learn curve of the gameplay is more difficult than in other games. I used to play UO years ago, and I more or less knew everything about the game, but when I played again last year during the Return to Britannia, I was really lost with all the new item properties and all that.

the new client has some good ideas and all, but the graphics are really bad. It's not just the old graphics, but a mix between the KR graphics and the old ones that personally don't mix that well.

I think that if they have kept the 3D client, updated the graphics like KR did, with the 3D models from KR it would have been better.

The 3D client had lots of problems, but I think it did a lot of things better than the 2 clients that appeared after it.

Of course, if we wanted new people, that 3D (or 2.5D) client won't be enough...

Maybe somehting like how the camera works in Dragon Age would be a good thing for uo. The same gameplay, but with the abilty to rotate and even getting the camera close to the character. If they could implement that, and somehow add an option to play in 2D in the same client (something like the Monkey Islade Special Edition does) that would be the best solution for everyone (as long as they could keep low requeriments for the 2D option).

Definetely, working on 2 clients at the same time (3 if we count development of KR when the 3D client was still going, and the development of the Enhanced Client when KR was still going) is not the best way to do it.

Also besides graphics, what UO also needs is a bit of life in some other places. Add quests to the virtue cities and Dungeons that are more complex than just find something. Or add something that would attract people to other cities besides Luna and to old dungeons.

S

Sadrith Mora

Darknat,

I got some friends who used to play UO, and now are playing WoW. They are always saying how much the hate WoW gameplay, and always say that UO has better gameplay, yet they don't want to return because they can't stand the graphics.
I hope it's only a few people. I've seen many others who came back from playing WoW, reguardless, which proves to me it's more about gameplay than graphics. And that's not just WoW, it's the many other MMO's that have come out over the years as well. People continue to return to UO.

There is also people who have never heard of UO and when they see the graphics they don't even donwload it.
Ack... :(

I wonder how old they are?

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope it's only a few people. I've seen many others who came back from playing WoW, reguardless, which proves to me it's more about gameplay than graphics. And that's not just WoW, it's the many other MMO's that have come out over the years as well. People continue to return to UO.
Then there are those of us who have been playing both games for years now and don't see how they are conflicting entities. They are two completely different gaming experiences in my book.

S

Sadrith Mora

Saphireena

Then there are those of us who have been playing both games for years now and don't see how they are conflicting entities. They are two completely different gaming experiences in my book.
There are those who play one or the other, and like to argue which game is better for whatever reasons, which is why i added my argument.