[News] Same Questions for Andy Belford on the Community Team

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Apr 9, 2004
where my feet hit the ocean's tides

Same Questions for Andy Belford on the Community Team

As Andy walked late into the Salty Dog after James and I downed a few pints, I found it easier to just slide the ale stained parchment in front of him while we went a few rounds with darts. Andy would have to wait until another time to join in on the mongbat fun. *BULLSEYE!* (Yes, I’m that good…)

Let’s start by asking what your specific title is and your duties with this new community team:

I’m a Community Coordinator here at Mythic Entertainment, however, as James said, that only scratches the surface on describing what our responsibilities entail. We’re moderators, mediators, video producers, content managers, Ombudsmen, the list goes on and on. Much like our peers in the Community sector we’re jacks of all trades who are required to wear many varied hats (some with feathers!).

Secondly, do you play Ultima Online or have you in the past and what is your take on this older mmo?

To be honest, I haven’t played UO in a looooong time. What I can say is that UO is what I consider to be part of my foundation of MMORPG gaming. I’ve been an online gamer since my formative years and I would consider UO to be a part of that. While I would say that I dipped my toes in the pool with UO, I really dove headfirst with Asheron’s Call back in 1999. My other online gaming experiences include many, many, many MMO’s, years of online FPS’s (played CS league for awhile and pretty much every casual game I can get my hands on (Farmville is the debbil).

What is your background with EA Mythic?

I started right around the Launch of WAR last September. The past year has been a definite trial by fire and I’ve learned a lot of valuable lessons during that time.

With all the recent changes what do you hope to accomplish with the UO community?

UO is a game built on tradition. I say Tradition because anytime you have a community of players with a built in legacy as strong and as well known as UO’s, there is a strong tradition that goes along with it. The development team of UO also has a strong tradition of being one of the most communicative and open teams in the MMO development field. This is something that we are immensely proud of and try to exemplify in our other titles.

What I’m hoping to accomplish with UO is to embrace this tradition while rethinking some of the more standard community content formats. I’m currently working on some new social media initiatives involving all three games, UO, DAoC and WAR, which will hopefully be a fresh and, at the same time, respectful new way of reaching out to our communities.

Who will be taking on the role of the main line of communication between the UO player base and the dev team?

As I said before, we’re extremely fortunate to have a development team that cares so deeply about the community that they make the game for. The community team is more than happy to continue supporting the development team in their day to day interaction with the players.

Finally, are there any thoughts you would like to personally share with the UO players as this community team takes on Ultima Online
?

As a genre, MMORPG’s owe a LOT to the UO community. There have been many respected Community professionals that have come from the UO community in one way, shape or form. Today’s modern MMO landscape has evolved to be what it is largely because of the contributions of Ultima Online and the community surrounding it. I am honored to be entrusted with this legacy and only hope to be able to live up to what it represents in the future.

Thank you Andy for sharing a bit of your background and future plans and we hope to introduce both you and James to a great UO experience.

E

Eyes of Origin

Well, now we know a little about Andy hehe
Great interview, Thanks Airmid and Thanks to Andy for taking the time :)

*whispers* At least he didnt make any jokes about a lvl 5 paladin

Kidding Kidding James! *winks*

Welcome Andy!

M

MariamATL

Welcome Andy!! It will definitely be a bumpy ride here.

Not sure I would have mentioned that you haven't played UO in a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time as you may need some protective gear from some of the loons to follow but.....welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 27, 2003
always Legends
*notices that Airmid gets dressed for interviews*

thanks for the interviews, Airmid, nice to meet the new faces

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
E

Eyes of Origin

debbil = devil... and farmville is ebil! I dont play it, but I know ppl who are hooked!

F

five oclock

aye great interview and welcome to UO :D

Good luck...ya going to need it :D

Miss Smoocher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 6, 2008
Atlantic
well thank you for that now maybe some of use who have been worring about
whats going on we can breath a little easyer for the game we all love and enjoy everyday. dose anyone really know how meny peeps still play uo number wise?

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 19, 2008
Napa, Malas
debbil = devil... and farmville is ebil! I dont play it, but I know ppl who are hooked!
LoL !

Ain't it the truth? My wife, daughter and daughter-in-law are all hooked on it!

The wife even kicks me off the computer at times to check her crops! Monday night she kicked me in the middle of an event on Napa! It was OK, I was getting my butt handed to me anyway;)

I can't complian too much tho, she's put up with my UO time for over 10 years now ;) She never complains, tells the rest of the family "it's his stress reliever". Best wife in the world (even if she is hooked on that ebil farmville!)

I

Ivorythorn

:eyes: THAT game... *shudders* You should never mention THAT game. *successfully resists the urge to log onto facebook*

Ivorythorn "One of these days I'm going to work on a sig..."

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
Andy Belford... hmm any relation to that guy from True Blood? ;)

"I know that pig..."

S

Salya Sin

Welcome Andy and thanks for the time you took out to answer!

And thanks Airmid for the interviews... it's nice to hear from the insiders!

V

Vyal

The UO community will be sOOOOOOoooo much better when this kid gets canned...

E

Eyes of Origin

The UO community will be sOOOOOOoooo much better when this kid gets canned...
Not a very nice thing to say =/ Havent enough people been canned lately? How about we hope he gets to stick around? jeez