Popping In To Say Hi

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com
Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to pop in to say "hello". I haven't posted here in a while and hope you are all doing well.

Cheers,
Grimmy

T

Trebr Drab

Are you the guy responsible for the art in SA? Any explanations?

We're about to organize a rabble!

C

CatLord

Who are you again?

*runs for cover*

Personal Message: I love SA, Thank you very much.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com

Oh! I LOVE raffles! ;-)

Oh, and as far as the first item in your post, if you have specific questions, I might be able to answer them. However, before you or anyone for that matter takes the time to write them out, please make sure your time is not spent in vain and ask genuine questions, not thinly or completely unveiled griefs. It'd be a waste of your time as I will not respond. As anyone who's read my posts on this board knows, as long as the intent is genuine, I do my best to respond to all constructive critiques positive and negative.

-Grimm

O

Old Man of UO

Ohhh, that's a tough one. I'll get back to you on that. :)
HEH... who would imagine you could still have a sense of humor?

My question concerns Legacy vs non-Legacy graphics. How "difficult" is it to have both and to maintain updates and content changes for both?

If it is easy to do, such as pushing a button to run a conversion macro, I say let us have the option. If it will take a considerable effort every time there is a content change, I suggest eliminating one, even if it is not my first choice.

T

Trebr Drab

I saw your comments related to my question here, so I'll take it there. You're a good sport, showing up always when things get rough around here. So I give you a :danceb:.

W

wee papa smurf

Oh! I LOVE raffles! ;-)

Oh, and as far as the first item in your post, if you have specific questions, I might be able to answer them. However, before you or anyone for that matter takes the time to write them out, please make sure your time is not spent in vain and ask genuine questions, not thinly or completely unveiled griefs. It'd be a waste of your time as I will not respond. As anyone who's read my posts on this board knows, as long as the intent is genuine, I do my best to respond to all constructive critiques positive and negative.

-Grimm
A simple question, the majority of complaints are about the graphics in SA, are the graphics we're seeing on the beta the final product or are they going to be worked on?

:danceb: :danceb:

Z

Zodia

Oh! I LOVE raffles! ;-)

Oh, and as far as the first item in your post, if you have specific questions, I might be able to answer them.
Hello! I am mostly pleased with SA, hoping the beta gets it polished even more. Thank you for your hard work!
On the graphical side, one thing that I was hoping could be looked at is the size of some of the items when in one's backpack grid. Many of the smaller items (gems, rings, etc) are soooo tiny and surrounded by so much blackspace. Even some of the medium sized items are kinda hard to see (and again surrrounded by a lot of blackspace) is there anyway to get these enlarged a bit in the UI? Is this something that could be done?

(See pic)

Thanks!

B

Beer_Cayse

Well, seeing as how it's sort of an open beta for playability, you already know the mixed furor it's raised. I couldn't play KR on my small system (barely spec), SA runs better on that altho IMO needs some tweaks code-wise.

But overall, I like the new client and now that everyone in the house has a new box except moi, guess who is next? Then I can REALLY enjoy SA and not 2D.

Thanks for the work ...

T

Trebr Drab

Oh! I LOVE raffles! ;-)

-Grimm
So, our griefs are not important? We're not "genuine" when it's just a gripe?

You guys need to get your heads out'a yer you know whatsies. Your game is barely played except when there's a new uber to get, and even then you sub rate is very low, and sliding downwards. If you didn't have housing, you wouldn't be here anymore. Yet you have to take the time to reply like that? An edit, even.

I know, I know, you won't reply. It's :talktothehand:.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com
HEH... who would imagine you could still have a sense of humor?

My question concerns Legacy vs non-Legacy graphics. How "difficult" is it to have both and to maintain updates and content changes for both?

If it is easy to do, such as pushing a button to run a conversion macro, I say let us have the option. If it will take a considerable effort every time there is a content change, I suggest eliminating one, even if it is not my first choice.
"We at the Federal Bureau of Investigations do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of."

Wow. Good question. Well, firstly, we've have truly phenomenal support from engineering without them the prospect of supporting the two clients at all would be enough to make me take "the blue pill". But, thanks to engineering, as far as animations go, engineering has made significant improvements to the legacy client animation system which, coupled significant upgrades to the animation pipeline, makes supporting the 2 clients with animations practically seamless. There is still quite a few difficulties, but we're unraveling those kinks as we go. As far as the UOSA client supporting both types of animation systems, well even from just the art perspective, that's a rather daunting task, but not insurmountable. It's a good suggestion and we'll keep it mind.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com
A simple question, the majority of complaints are about the graphics in SA, are the graphics we're seeing on the beta the final product or are they going to be worked on?

:danceb: :danceb:

Another good question. The term "graphics" encompasses a lot. "I don't like how <fill in the blank>" provides a direction to the conversation. To quote the Middleman, "Specificity is at the heart of good communication."

And, "graphics" in general is constantly being worked on.

Cheers,
Grimm

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Canada
www.worldofimago.com
I've been making the suggestion of putting in the KR art for the legacy worlds; aka for whats been created and going from there with the new art. KR got the toggle for 2D, it really is only fair that SA gets the toggle for KR art. :)

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com

You guys need to get your heads out'a yer you know whatsies. Your game is barely played except when there's a new uber to get, and even then you sub rate is very low, and sliding downwards. If you didn't have housing, you wouldn't be here anymore. Yet you have to take the time to reply like that? An edit, even.

Perhaps we have a conflict of terminology. Allow me to provide my subjective examples:

Gripes:"I don't like how <XXX> looks because..." or "Why did you guys do <XXXX>, I like the old way better because..."

Griefs: "You guys need to get your heads out'a yer you know whatsies..."

<Although I'm totally making that grief comment up. I can't imagine anyone saying something like that.>

Gripes can be constructive, and provide valuable feedback. I see griefs as dead end comments designed to be wholly unproductive aside from allowing someone to vent anger.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com
I've been making the suggestion of putting in the KR art for the legacy worlds; aka for whats been created and going from there with the new art. KR got the toggle for 2D, it really is only fair that SA gets the toggle for KR art. :)
Excellent suggestion. I'll remember it.

Cheers,
Grimm

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 25, 2001
Austin baby!

Are you saying that because there are a low number of subs, the people who work for this game should have to debase themselves to respond to trolls in order to keep players happy? That's a horrible attitude. I'd rather them work on things that are productive and constructive instead of trying to pacify people who just want to be rude...

If you have a legitimate concern then you can phrase it politely. It costs you nothing and may well net a helpful response.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2008
You got legacy this and that, why not for the paper doll.

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Nice to see you around again Grimm. :)

While it's surely a daunting task, I would like to see all of the art redrawn in "HD" and incorporated into the game, even if it's a few items at a time. Does your new art "pipeline" allow for easy easy additions and/or replacements for item art? I realize the personnel pipeline may not at this time. I would love to have my cake and eat it to so to speak... an updated (graphically) UO client that still looks and feels like the original game.

Also, are there more legacy styled gumps coming? Books, spell/runebooks come to mind off the top of my head.

W

woody_cats

currently i use giftboxes to store those hard to see items as was white background is there any way to get some item in sa that we can store like blackrock cloak of death etc in the backpack graphic drives my nutsfor some items. and i truely like the grid and would like it more if could make bigger or white hehe

T

TheGrayGhost

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to pop in to say "hello". I haven't posted here in a while and hope you are all doing well.

Cheers,
Grimmy
Hello, first I wanted to say so far I really enjoy the new client as does my wife. Some questions I did have I figured I might as well ask.

1) With the SA client are we seeing basicaly everything there will be to see with the exception of fixes and tweaks, or are there things you guys have planned that just haven't been implemented yet?

2) Will new chars created in the SA client have access to the Dark Knight in old haven or something similar?

3) Any encouraging words you can give to those not overly pleased with the SA client currently?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Will there be any further changes to the male paperdoll in the SA client, especially changing the stance and offering some better faces?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
Will there be any further changes to the male paperdoll in the SA client, especially changing the stance and offering some better faces?
Ah.... my question as well, I feel the current male paperdoll just doesn't do my character justice. He looks far more old feeble and well... not very "buff" compared to the 2d doll. After all my character is a warrior, who uses his bow quite often and I would think you would need a whole lot more upper body strength to use on than the current doll alludes to.

As well I still wonder if you could perhaps make the SA paperdoll smaller? I know there is a slider for the scale of the UI but unless you can scale each piece separately it doesn't really help. I've found if I scale the paperdoll to a more manageable size then the map and the er.... macro bar as well as the options bar are way too small for me to be comfortable with. I really have no need for my paperdoll to be quite so large. If it were say 33% smaller that would be preferable.

And I wanted to say by the way that my ethereal horse looks way cool in SA as does the brazier. Though in comparison the brazier with it's very refined hot coals look makes the fire pit pale in comparison. Though I do like the smoke effects of both.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Lake Superior
crysta-elf.deviantart.com
Actually.. I have a valid question to ask, now that I thnk about it.

Obviously, the monsters/npcs/etc had their resolutions shrunk somewhat for the SA client, but my question is, regardless of that, why were the reduced forms not sharpened up any to bring out the fine details? Leaving them as they are makes them feel overly smooth and blurry.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 13, 2005
Staly Vagas
Ello Grimm,
Can you get them to add waffles to your Demon manifestation in Blood Dungeon :D:danceb:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

Grimm, you can see a sample of my critiques in this post in another thread.

For me a LOT of my graphical gripes would be solved with a KR High Res Graphics option for SA. That way people can tailor the SA client to what their system can handle.

Not everyone is still using a computer system from 2003 and not all of us had graphical performance issues with KR. We would like the option, the choice to be able to continue to utilize the newer, higher resolution graphics.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 12, 2005
Atlantic
Hi Grimm,
SA is looking great. Best of both world and I'm sure that was hard to do.

Would be great if you can make the items look larger in the containers and in the paperdoll slots. Like Zodia shows in her post... many things are tiny in the boxes.

Question.. will vendor bags always be freeform view? I'm guessing for compatability purposes, right?

Question 2... Will you be putting the KR crafting menu back? I found the KR menu is much easier. I love the make x amount. I also like how when you chose the item you want to craft, it shows the item right there on the same menu with details rather than 2D's way of clicking View to see the success rate and how many ingots to make.

I happen to like the KR paperdolls. Just need more poses and faces and tatoos.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 12, 2008
Hi Grimm,
SA is looking great. Best of both world and I'm sure that was hard to do.

Would be great if you can make the items look larger in the containers and in the paperdoll slots. Like Zodia shows in her post... many things are tiny in the boxes.

Question.. will vendor bags always be freeform view? I'm guessing for compatability purposes, right?

Question 2... Will you be putting the KR crafting menu back? I found the KR menu is much easier. I love the make x amount. I also like how when you chose the item you want to craft, it shows the item right there on the same menu with details rather than 2D's way of clicking View to see the success rate and how many ingots to make.

I happen to like the KR paperdolls. Just need more poses and faces and tatoos.
Grimm, did you make sure to take your tylenol after putting the SA client up for beta? :D

My question is this: Alot of people expect graphics like that found in other modern morphs. However, is EA willing to put that much money into this game?

I think SA Looks promising. I've been playing it quite a bit over the past month, and besides some small problems the client is very stable.

So continue the good work!

BTW: Whoever did the spell special animations gets two thumbs up. When someone is hit with a flamestrike I absolutely love it.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2008
Another good question. The term "graphics" encompasses a lot. "I don't like how <fill in the blank>" provides a direction to the conversation. To quote the Middleman, "Specificity is at the heart of good communication."

And, "graphics" in general is constantly being worked on.

Cheers,
Grimm
Yes, I understand what you mean about vague statements that simply says "the graphics is not good". Without specifying which exact part of the terrain/creature/paperdoll the posters don't like, there's no way for you to know what the issue is.

Coldren has a good post in this thread http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=148361 regarding resolution and style.

And I have added how some of the styles don't mesh right with each other. See the example on the beetle riding position. Hopefully it explains in better detail regarding some players' gripes, and gives players a starting point to better express themselves. It's like looking at a picture and something in the anatomy looks wrong, but for people that don't draw, it's hard to pinpoint what exactly is the problem.

Someone has asked for the option to use the KR artwork for the terrain/statics in SA. Can I request 1 more option? To use legacy creature art? Maybe 2 checkboxes under the legacy tab:

1) Use legacy terrain (unchecked means they use KR terrain/statics)
2) Use legacy creature art

Would this be possible?

C

Cloak&Dagger

"Legacy Terrain" won't happen. It would only be possible to be one or the other, and i'd rather they keep the KR stuff than cave like they did with 3D.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "Only possible to be one or the other" Isn't that what he is already asking for? Not against the KR terrain, I rather like it, really just not sure what you mean. o.o

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Lake Superior
I mean they've already said to put legacy terrain into KR they'd have to completely remove the KR terrain.. there is no possibility of a "switch" or "toggle". It can only be one or the other.

I don't know why that's the case, but its the same reason they removed the 3D terrain from 3D rather than give us the option of choosing.. it wasn't possible for the client to hold both options for some reason.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com
Nice to see you around again Grimm. :)

While it's surely a daunting task, I would like to see all of the art redrawn in "HD" and incorporated into the game, even if it's a few items at a time. Does your new art "pipeline" allow for easy easy additions and/or replacements for item art? I realize the personnel pipeline may not at this time. I would love to have my cake and eat it to so to speak... an updated (graphically) UO client that still looks and feels like the original game.

Also, are there more legacy styled gumps coming? Books, spell/runebooks come to mind off the top of my head.
We've talked about adding more legacy styled GUMPs, but this is something we'll tackle as time permits. We've also discussed the possibility of providing higher resolution animations at a later date, but right now that's kind of on the shelf due to more pressing matters.

Cheers,
Grimm

C

Cloak&Dagger

We've talked about adding more legacy styled GUMPs, but this is something we'll tackle as time permits. We've also discussed the possibility of providing higher resolution animations at a later date, but right now that's kind of on the shelf due to more pressing matters.

Cheers,
Grimm

I have not played with modds or LUA at all, But would it be impossible to create gumps, or in this case impliment the legacy gumps, using a mod?

C

Cloak&Dagger

I mean they've already said to put legacy terrain into KR they'd have to completely remove the KR terrain.. there is no possibility of a "switch" or "toggle". It can only be one or the other.

I don't know why that's the case, but its the same reason they removed the 3D terrain from 3D rather than give us the option of choosing.. it wasn't possible for the client to hold both options for some reason.
I see, well...I can only say I do not work there but it does not sound unfeasable...at least not globally, perhaps there is something limiting their ability.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2004
Oregon
jpharrod.com
currently i use giftboxes to store those hard to see items as was white background is there any way to get some item in sa that we can store like blackrock cloak of death etc in the backpack graphic drives my nutsfor some items. and i truely like the grid and would like it more if could make bigger or white hehe
I think this falls into the "hard to see items" category. i hadn't thought of changing the backpack background, but I'll remember it as an option. Thanks!

-Grimm

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Lake Superior
From now on when there is such a situation where it has been said there can be only one option, I will refer to it as the "Highlander Clause".. ie; "There can be only one."

T

TheGrayGhost

I think this falls into the "hard to see items" category. i hadn't thought of changing the backpack background, but I'll remember it as an option. Thanks!

-Grimm
Changing the backpack background or letting us choose the colour in the user setting would be a great addition.

Same goes for overhead chat as well oO.

L

Lord Drakelord

-Grimm
If you do think about the 2d people also, blackrock is hard to see in any backpack. Maybe the same color as the old round baskets? At least in that I can see my blackrock.

O

Old Man of UO

If you do think about the 2d people also, blackrock is hard to see in any backpack. Maybe the same color as the old round baskets? At least in that I can see my blackrock.
There are other colors that are very hard to see too, such as bloodwood shields in my backpack. An option to change the backpack color would be awesome.

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004

Cheers,
Grimm

I have not played with modds or LUA at all, But would it be impossible to create gumps, or in this case impliment the legacy gumps, using a mod?[/QUOTE]

Most definitely. ;) We just need to have custom UI's enabled in SA.

These shots are from the Legacy Skin created for KR:
http://www.zymdragon.com/uo/legacy-1.0-001.jpg
http://www.zymdragon.com/uo/legacy-1.0-002.jpg

E

Eman Resu

Maybe Grimm can explain how certain weapons have been floating out of hands since day one of KR and it's STILL not fixed.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 23, 2004
I've always been a hard core 2D fan, but I've been playing around with SA and it's beginning to kinda grow on me as I pick through it and learn it. The only thing I would wish changed are the colours. They look much drabber and less intense in SA than in 2D.
Is there a way the user can change this, will the devs/artists/whoeverdoesit change this or are we stuck with less depth to the colours in SA?

BTW Grimmy, you're definitely one of my favourites!! The best dog I ever owned or WILL ever own was nicknamed Grimmy, lol (Grimley).