• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When you knew you were hopelessly addicted...

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I've had a couple of experiences but my latest was a couple of months ago. Driving down the interstate and got behind a car and read the license plate. I don't even remember exactly what it said now but I clearly remember my first two thoughts.....

#1 "How did THAT get past the profanity filter"

#2 "Someone's gonna page!"

My next thought was, yep, been playing too long! LOL

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Going to the drive-up atm, and saying "bank" and wondering why nothing is happening...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I started playing UO at the same time I started dating who is now my wife (which made for an interesting balancing act).

Anyway, one evening while driving her home (she lived northwest of town, I lived south east, so it was a bit of a drive each way), I was glancing over at the return direction of the Interstate and said, quite innocently, 'I hope the lag isn't to bad on the way home".

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I became addicted in 1988 with "Warrior's of Destiny" had played before that but that year helped to facilitate my becoming single again ! I had a very bad addiction to computers lol I had built my own with a micro 8088 processor that ran at 33mhz lol and ultima and Wizardry, were my addictive games ! I still have all the original stuff from both!

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i quit uo a couple years ago. buuuttt

every time i go to the bank, i think to myself...

"only in UO is it ok to eat food off a crowded bank floor"

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya know ya got addictive issues since your first UO tiny home on Chesapeake back in the UO day... when you are hiding your *RL* house key in your purse, or elsewhere

and your rl husband says Why ya keep hiding your house key for, to wit you reply.... if OiN or BBZ gets my house key... I can loose the house I am not letting em get my house key. :)

And your husband says something like what the heck is an OiN ? And you begin to say, they some pks that live by me...

And then your hubby asks so what do ya want on your gravestone when you rl pass Queen Zen or your real name and I say...lemme get back with you on that. . but you tried to *EMOTE* that last sentance to your spouse.

& ya also know you are addicted when you are asked to work a holiday with holiday overtime pay and you tell your boss you can not cuz you have to be a maid of honor in a UO wedding or help res the dead at a fight night duel. :)

N

Nyte Doombringer

Ya know ya got addictive issues since your first UO tiny home on Chesapeake back in the UO day... when you are hiding your *RL* house key in your purse, or elsewhere

and your rl husband says Why ya keep hiding your house key for, to wit you reply.... if OiN or BBZ gets my house key... I can loose the house I am not letting em get my house key. :)

And your husband says something like what the heck is an OiN ? And you begin to say, they some pks that live by me...

And then your hubby asks so what do ya want on your gravestone when you rl pass Queen Zen or your real name and I say...lemme get back with you on that. . but you tried to *EMOTE* that last sentance to your spouse.

& ya also know you are addicted when you are asked to work a holiday with holiday overtime pay and you tell your boss you can not cuz you have to be a maid of honor in a UO wedding or help res the dead at a fight night duel. :)
Ok I am crying here laughing so much. This is some of the funniest stuff I have read in a long time. Your poor hubby. hehe
Luckily my rl hubby plays UO, actually meet him in the game. I am sitting here reading this while he is sitting at his puter typing up some business stuff. I am LOL and he is like what are you laughing about over there.

Hmm lets see I been playing since 99, the first 6 years where non-stop. I have dreamed about my chars many nights. OMG just last week I had this awful dream. A guy in our guild is doing alot of champ spawns and one in particular the spider one. Now when I say I hate spiders, I really hate them and will scream if they get on my char in a game. So he was teasing me about the spider boss and that night I had this awful dream about big ugly spiders. I woke up and was like no more spider boss for me.

I often am walking in the woods and think wow that would be a nice place to place a house. One morning after a long day of playing the day before I was very tired. I walked in the kitchen to get some coffee and thought to myself, geez I am really lagging today.
One day I had went somewhere in the truck and my hubby had gone outside for a smoke. He said he looked and the truck was gone and he though, OMG the truck is gone I forgot to lock it down. LOL

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG Did ya get the truck back cuz if ya were in felucca it maybe got stolen ? haha ;)

My husband is used to it all after all these years, be times if he had to go in to work early I would hear him say... turn down the volume from the cows in Delucia, I need to get to sleep without hearing a herd DIE, as ya collect hides slayin cattle. :)

I do wish we had the house deco tool though in rl but if I need furniture lifted UP or turned I call on him to do it ...but the UO tool is a lot faster for turning stuff in *game* in our homes. hehe

Would also be nice do merely dbl clk to get our rl christmas trees up and standing all done with merely a dbl clk in our homes ! haha

N

Nyte Doombringer

OMG Did ya get the truck back cuz if ya were in felucca it maybe got stolen ? haha ;)

My husband is used to it all after all these years, be times if he had to go in to work early I would hear him say... turn down the volume from the cows in Delucia, I need to get to sleep without hearing a herd DIE, as ya collect hides slayin cattle. :)

I do wish we had the house deco tool though in rl but if I need furniture lifted UP or turned I call on him to do it ...but the UO tool is a lot faster for turning stuff in *game* in our homes. hehe

Would also be nice do merely dbl clk to get our rl christmas trees up and standing all done with merely a dbl clk in our homes ! haha
Haha yea I came back with the truck. Amazing how we take this game into real life.

Stephen_Mythic

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never had any instances that I can remember where I mistook real life for UO, however, I knew I was addicted back in 1998 when I would pretend to be sick to stay home from school.

I'd then load up UO on my old 200 mhz pentium with my rockin 28.8 baud connection and mine all day long with an occasional break to go kill fellow miners on my Dread Lord, haha. How cruel of me :<

N

Nyte Doombringer

I never had any instances that I can remember where I mistook real life for UO, however, I knew I was addicted back in 1998 when I would pretend to be sick to stay home from school.

I'd then load up UO on my old 200 mhz pentium with my rockin 28.8 baud connection and mine all day long with an occasional break to go kill fellow miners on my Dread Lord, haha. How cruel of me :<
Geez amazing how we started playing UO back then. I had a 166mhz with a 2.1 gig hdd and what a 2mb vid card? I remember someone told me wow 2,1 gig hdd is huge, you will never need anymore then that. lol. I had a 56 dial up connection. Geez I was happy when a few years later I was lucky enough to be living in a city that got broad band. lol

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a few occasions I've told my fiance that "i'm loggin for the night" when I should have said "i'm goin to bed"

H

Harb

Middle of 98 I was reassigned back to the US, still active duty in the Army. Had previously played from Korea. At the time, military servers tended to "block" most websites unless preapproved, and consequently I couldn't access fan sites at work. The unit was undergoing a reorganizaton shortly after I arrived, and the IT folks were going to moved from the comms section to the operations section. I offered to do the supervision so I could add certain UO sites to the approved list. Based on the headache the IT folks turned out to be, I was never sure it was the best of decisions :)

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a few days ago a girl I work with wanted to clean her desk and so she asked if anybody knew where she could find some rags. Well she has a bit of an accent and pronounced it "regs". I thought I was being extreemly witty when I asked if she need black peal, bloodmoss, or mandrake root. Apparently nobody else at work plays UO.

M

MoneyMaker

I was hooked on UO since the first day. It was a D&D kinda fantasy world.. that wasn't D&D and wasn't taxing on my imagination.

Hard to believe how far computers have come, since the time of the 33Mhz processor. Man, I thought that was just the ticket..... until the next week when they came out with the 45Mhz processor.
( I would have talked about my old tandy, but I figure most wouldn't know what the heck that was. Pixel candy has come a long way since then.)

Stephen_Mythic

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was hooked on UO since the first day. It was a D&D kinda fantasy world.. that wasn't D&D and wasn't taxing on my imagination.

Hard to believe how far computers have come, since the time of the 33Mhz processor. Man, I thought that was just the ticket..... until the next week when they came out with the 45Mhz processor.
( I would have talked about my old tandy, but I figure most wouldn't know what the heck that was. Pixel candy has come a long way since then.)
LOL heck yeah Tandy! My father had one with the 8 inch tan and black monitor. When I was real young, I used to play some little pixel helicopter game where you bombed little houses and shot small pellets at opposing air craft. Good times!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL heck yeah Tandy! My father had one with the 8 inch tan and black monitor. When I was real young, I used to play some little pixel helicopter game where you bombed little houses and shot small pellets at opposing air craft. Good times!
Rescue Raiders? The one where you can buy and send ground troops to take over the enemy bases?

M

MoneyMaker

Oh man, that makes me feel old. Really sad part is that I had one of the first series of tandy, the old type where you had to basically write the program (that took a good 30 mins) to see about 10 seconds of colored screens and sound tones.
I also had one of the first Kalico-visions (I think that was how it was spelled). For those not in the know, it was a game of tennis/racketball in black in white, basically a bunch of white lines and a square ball. hours of fun.
Man, we were easily entertained back then.

Stephen_Mythic

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rescue Raiders? The one where you can buy and send ground troops to take over the enemy bases?
Haha nah, it was even simpler than that. You literally were just a little pixel copter that shot pellets and dropped a bomb or two on target buildings, that was it! The copter even sounded like a high pitched lawnmower, haha. My apologies for hijacking this thread to talk about oooold school gaming. Continue on with posts about the best game EVAR!!!

S

Sweety

Hmm when i first knew i was addicted was about 5 or 6 years ago when i was in 6th grade. Someone in my class dropped something and it broke. My first thought was oh its alright you can just repair it. Luckily i bit my tongue before i said this out loud.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I skipped work for two days when AoS came out.

I can't even count the number of times I had to go somewhere, like the bank for instance, and thought to myself, "man I wish I had the skill to just recall there."

H

Hanna

Oh man, that makes me feel old. Really sad part is that I had one of the first series of tandy, the old type where you had to basically write the program (that took a good 30 mins) to see about 10 seconds of colored screens and sound tones.
I also had one of the first Kalico-visions (I think that was how it was spelled). For those not in the know, it was a game of tennis/racketball in black in white, basically a bunch of white lines and a square ball. hours of fun.
Man, we were easily entertained back then.
I don't know they came out with that stuff when i was already an adult, but I believe it is called PONG. When I was a kid, a hand held game was a ball with a rubber sting attached to a paddle.

M

MoneyMaker

I was, umm, busy in the...... Herb garden..... during those years. I can't remember what the name of it was. I just remember that I had more entertaining things to do. (like mess with the Tandy).

athos_uo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, of cource, I am one of the most addicted UO players in the world. My experience is as follows:

One day, I went out shopping with my daughter several years ago. There are lots of kiosk-wise shops on the street in my town, which sell toys, tools, or accessories. She likes accessorie, so we looked at them at one of those shops. A small ring or earring caught my eyes. Next moment, I stretched my right hand and tried to touch it, to see properties on it.

W

Whinemaker

OK this just happened last night... was club hopping and had a few too many. Was trying to get my friends to follow me to the club next door and I almost let "All Follow Me" slip out of my mouth.

Aight no more video games for the next couple of weeks.

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you drive by a really nice looking house and think I cant wait till that goes into decay.