Thanks Draconi.

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
It is a pleasure to spend time with you. Now get back to work!:yell:

*winks*

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 20, 2004
:) Building a special encounter in one of the higher levels of SA right now

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
*smiles* The interaction and discussing ideas and stuff was awesome today. Thanks.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 26, 2008
lol - I'm glad you said it in jest :)

Three phases of U.Hall:

- why aren't the devs here saying anything?!

- hey, why are you here instead of working fixing X, Y, Z!

- where did the devs go?

wait a moment ... I don't know how to react to "still here AND working"

K

kennykilleduo

:) Building a special encounter in one of the higher levels of SA right now
Hopefully UOSA will be alot of fun , bring back alot of old faces , fix the cheaters , and prove to the devoted fans EA cares about UO... :D

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 20, 2004
And human/elf to Gargoyle quests :)
Ergh, is it going to break anyone's heart if conversion is just a direct system without fictional justification?

I mean... okay, Elves and Humans once long long ago shared a common heritage, I can live with that. But Gargoyles are a) Huge, b) Have a completely different language, and c) Did I mention they're Huge?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
Ergh, is it going to break anyone's heart if conversion is just a direct system without fictional justification?

I mean... okay, Elves and Humans once long long ago shared a common heritage, I can live with that. But Gargoyles are a) Huge, b) Have a completely different language, and c) Did I mention they're Huge?
Could have some kind of mad-scientist/mage who wants to experiment on turning humans/elves into gargoyles :p

C

canary

You can always say in fiction they were planted 'sleepers' to live amongst humanity and are reclaiming their lives as Gargs.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2003

Maybe they bite people in the neck at night and turn them into Gargo...... uhm... wait thats vampires.....Nevermind ;)

A

AesSedai

- I just took something called a DNA modification pill and when I awoke I'd become a Gargoyle. Those dang mad scientist/mages (@ Viper09) and their wild alchemies.

(Have a text-based fictional contest a few weeks before they arrive?)

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 26, 2008
To expand on my "yes" above ... I strongly believe that everything that happens in the game needs a fictional explanation: publishes, patches, exploits, server outages, everything (eg: "alchemists, keepers of royal stables and members of the milita have discovered that oils on the scales of swamp dragons have a corrosive effect upon pigments recently used to color the metals; sadly, as we enter the winter moulting season, the effect is likely to become more pronounced, effectively destroying all such dyes from barding").

Even if that explanation is "it's magic and we don't understand it", it acknowledges that something has happened in the world. More politics, biology, even the technobabble of magic ... there's so much deapth (and internal consistency) of fiction I would love to see added to UO.

I don't mind having to make up explanations for my own imagination's satisfaction, but it feels better when there's canon.

(however, I can sympathize that fiction + localization + no master visionary holding it all together can be a major headache)

R

RichDC

To expand on my "yes" above ... I strongly believe that everything that happens in the game needs a fictional explanation: publishes, patches, exploits, server outages, everything (eg: "alchemists, keepers of royal stables and members of the milita have discovered that oils on the scales of swamp dragons have a corrosive effect upon pigments recently used to color the metals; sadly, as we enter the winter moulting season, the effect is likely to become more pronounced, effectively destroying all such dyes from barding").

Even if that explanation is "it's magic and we don't understand it", it acknowledges that something has happened in the world. More politics, biology, even the technobabble of magic ... there's so much deapth (and internal consistency) of fiction I would love to see added to UO.

I don't mind having to make up explanations for my own imagination's satisfaction, but it feels better when there's canon.

(however, I can sympathize that fiction + localization + no master visionary holding it all together can be a major headache)
I agree fiction should play an important role, after all wasnt that what uo was founded on??

It is a Fantasy MMORPG, personally i really enjoy reading all the game fiction that preceeds the events and such. just wish there was a little more to keep the fantasy alive (apart from just in my wierd little head :p)

Y

Yazman

Changing races is so stupid. I think there never should have been elf/human conversion quests and I am extremely happy there won't be human/elf-gargoyle conversion.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 2, 2008
LS
See a Succubi takes a human/elf to the bar and gets the human/elf all TORE UP. They then go to a private place and Soooooo.........now you have a Gargoyle. Thats where the NPC quester starts wanting a stick +/- that you toggle on. And there is your heritage, K.I.S.S.

R

RichDC

I kind of like the idea of some insane alchemist wanting to test his new formula for making human/elves stronger faster and more akin to magic...

Thus needing specific ingredients to make his potion however....

all goes wrong and he loses control of the magiks, unable to stop the process you grow and mutate...and poof you are gargoyle!!

How you would do the revert would be more difficult to do, maybe some kind of gargoyle mystic attempting the first gargoyle imbuing, attempting to imbue
with the powers of the elven magics or the humans akin to all skills.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

See a Succubi takes a human/elf to the bar and gets the human/elf all TORE UP. They then go to a private place and Soooooo.........now you have a Gargoyle. Thats where the NPC quester starts wanting a stick +/- that you toggle on. And there is your heritage, K.I.S.S.
I love it!

I want to be a Succubus so badly! Can we have a quest for THAT??!