• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thank you devs for killing Britain (on Greatlakes)

G

Ghost71

Yeah just wanted to say thanks! Great job! I play on Greatlakes. And people USED to hangout in Britain. But yeah thanks to the invasion, most of em are in Luna, it's not even a city just a building with a shopping mall around it. I'm in Britain, and i had a guy come up to me and ask if anyone even plays this game! So yeah ya know where ya can take your invasion.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah just wanted to say thanks! Great job! I play on Greatlakes. And people USED to hangout in Britain. But yeah thanks to the invasion, most of em are in Luna, it's not even a city just a building with a shopping mall around it. I'm in Britain, and i had a guy come up to me and ask if anyone even plays this game! So yeah ya know where ya can take your invasion.
This is not new, seriously.

There used to be crowds... I do mean crowds. In every town in UO. And it was NOT people leaving the game that got rid of the crowds. It was the stupid town invasions. If everytime people log in or recall to their home city bank, they get killed, they use another city. This has been going on since friggin '99 or '00. Trinsic, Moonglow, Vesper, Minoc, Skara, they all used to have big crowds, not as big as Britain, but unique communities. All dead, from town attacks. Everyone went to Britain, but Britain was getting hit too, so when T2A came out, everyone hung out in Papua or Delucia. Now those are dead cities because of the EZ LAZYBOI mode setup of Luna, and because they didn't have moongates. And no..... I'm not talking about the Invasion Spawn, there were other kinds of town attacks started long before that which effectively murdered off the use of every town except Britain even before I left in like '02.

I'd love to see town communities spring up again, but as long as players are punished for using anything but Luna, it will never happen. I was just shocked coming back after so long that they kept this idiotic town attack system in place which never accomplished anything whatsoever of any consequence, except murdering off town crowds.

B

BloodstoneGL

Brit died shortly after Luna was created. My point is that the invasions while annoying to some players were not the culprit in creating ghost towns. Luna is now the Mall of UO, there really is no reason to go to another town when everything you need is in one small area.

M

Maggie

I am really hoping that the newly renovated brit bank will bring people back to it. I have a little hope for the future.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am really hoping that the newly renovated brit bank will bring people back to it. I have a little hope for the future.
I'm looking forward to seeing all the submissions as well

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate Luna too. I don't understand the sense, whatsoever, of making one town so much more convenient than all the others, and then on top of that, to slap most of the others with annoying, pointless town attacks.

Have the darn generals and CD's appear on the first floors of the major vice dungeons, or by the virtue shrines or something. And throw a meteor at Luna or let it be town invaded for about 3 weeks. That would shake some life back into the rest of the world.

G

Ghost71

Brit died shortly after Luna was created. My point is that the invasions while annoying to some players were not the culprit in creating ghost towns. Luna is now the Mall of UO, there really is no reason to go to another town when everything you need is in one small area.
Uh not really. People still hungout in Britain even after Luna. And yeah was invasions, unable to just recall into Britain etc. If there hadn't been any invasion in Britain they'd sure be more people around then there is now.

B

BloodstoneGL

I hate Luna too. I don't understand the sense, whatsoever, of making one town so much more convenient than all the others, and then on top of that, to slap most of the others with annoying, pointless town attacks.

Have the darn generals and CD's appear on the first floors of the major vice dungeons, or by the virtue shrines or something. And throw a meteor at Luna or let it be town invaded for about 3 weeks. That would shake some life back into the rest of the world.
Perhaps you should visit you EM and put that bug in his ear.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please select a design that is tasteful. Please.
Absolutely. We'll be choosing the best design per shard where possible, and if there isn't one, we won't put in something that everyone else will dislike.

N

Ni-

I used to hate to have to walk all the way to town from a moongate on my warriors. This was before Chiv(warriors recall) and possibly before all my chars had ethys. When Luna came out I loved it because the bank was so close to the moongate. Now, I hardly go to Luna. When each of my char's main town is being invaded I run them from a moongate to Skara Brea because of the decent Bank location in relation to the moongate.

If we were to have an invasion on Luna, I wonder if people would flock back to Britian. If a Luna invasion coincides with the Britian Bank redecoration, that might just happan.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I think the only reason that Luna bank is so busy compared to other banks is because it has a moongate so close to it.

Town invasions aren’t that bad considering that if you try to recall to it during the invasion it sends you somewhere else.

I can relate to the OP's post though, it is sad to see all the major towns empty.

This is why I have been a proponent to adding new content in the existing lands, instead of adding new lands. Most of the UO dungeons are a wasteland, especially in Fel (not including champs spawns).

Too bad the empty space doesn’t get used more efficiently.

G

Ghost71

I used to hate to have to walk all the way to town from a moongate on my warriors. This was before Chiv(warriors recall) and possibly before all my chars had ethys. When Luna came out I loved it because the bank was so close to the moongate. Now, I hardly go to Luna. When each of my char's main town is being invaded I run them from a moongate to Skara Brea because of the decent Bank location in relation to the moongate.

If we were to have an invasion on Luna, I wonder if people would flock back to Britian. If a Luna invasion coincides with the Britian Bank redecoration, that might just happan.
They wouldn't dare have a Luna invasion. All the shop owners would quit etc. And what would we do without their overpriced stuff?

G

Ghost71

Personally I think the only reason that Luna bank is so busy compared to other banks is because it has a moongate so close to it.

Town invasions aren’t that bad considering that if you try to recall to it during the invasion it sends you somewhere else.

I can relate to the OP's post though, it is sad to see all the major towns empty.

This is why I have been a proponent to adding new content in the existing lands, instead of adding new lands. Most of the UO dungeons are a wasteland, especially in Fel (not including champs spawns).

Back when Tram came out. I was still hanging out in Fel Brtiain. Was thinking wtf did everyone go? Then see oh their all in Tram now. But yeah i'm not gonna stay in Luna, i do go there to check vendors. I've never actually liked the place. Yeah it sucks, i remember back when Britain was one of the main places to hangout. But the invasions and Luna have taken care of that.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Huh. Hadn't... thought of that.

R

rockytriton

the only thing that could possibly revive brit is to put a moongate right next to the bank.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah like some big necromancer and his skelital dragon come to harvest some sole's as he noticed there's so many tasty mortals loytering in and around luna.

Then Lord British can summon everyone to brit castle because he's herd word from (insert paladin top guy here) to rally help from all to fight off his necromanncy hordes that are taking over luna (only inside cos of shoppers). And it just happened co-insides with the grand opening off the new west brit bank (or demolition due to that shard not haveing submitted a design and the demolition crew not being told the jobs off :D)

G

Ghost71

the only thing that could possibly revive brit is to put a moongate right next to the bank.
They got the passage to the moongate right in that guard tower. I love that passage to the moongate, and miss it on other shards. Think they should have it that way on all the shards.

B

BloodstoneGL

Yeah like some big necromancer and his skelital dragon come to harvest some sole's as he noticed there's so many tasty mortals loytering in and around luna.

Then Lord British can summon everyone to brit castle because he's herd word from (insert paladin top guy here) to rally help from all to fight off his necromanncy hordes that are taking over luna (only inside cos of shoppers). And it just happened co-insides with the grand opening off the new west brit bank (or demolition due to that shard not haveing submitted a design and the demolition crew not being told the jobs off :D)
Guess you didn't get that memo...Lord British isn't in UO anymore, or since a very long time. Shame.

P

Prince Caspian

Dude, Britain's been dead since Luna came about.

And since not being dead means "crawling with banksitters and wares hawkers spamming" I'm not gonna mourn its death.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya remember that guy who tried to ambush ricardo's prison cart on its way to yew from trinsic?
maybe he could somehow get a temp job as the banker or one of the npc's hanging in center luna for about a month?? please???
please bring the pain to luna!!
just a simple request!!!

G

Ghost71

Dude, Britain's been dead since Luna came about.

And since not being dead means "crawling with banksitters and wares hawkers spamming" I'm not gonna mourn its death.
Uh again no. People was in Britain AFTER Luna. I know i STILL hungout in Britain. So now i guess Luna is the place where ya hangout for banksitters and wears hawkers spamming?

PsychoKinetic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember many posts on these boards asking for more fun events like ... town invasions. In fact, the invasion of trinsic was requested to be the blueprint for any future invasions.

I just see this as the players getting what they asked for.

In my opinion, the current ivasions are alot of fun and Im enjoying them while I can.

P

Prince Caspian

Uh again no. People was in Britain AFTER Luna. I know i STILL hungout in Britain. So now i guess Luna is the place where ya hangout for banksitters and wears hawkers spamming?
I don't hang out for banksitters and spammers. Does anyone? "Oooh, gotta get online to see if those neon-haired nitwits are banksitting tonight!" I'd love to drop a gigantic bomb on Luna, actually.

I use the Britain East Bank for my bank drops, and invasion or no I never have a problem there.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You could put a moongate right into the main vault of every bank in every city.

People still aren't going to go if they have to dodge Blood Elementals to get to the blacksmith.

That being said, Luna's moongate needs to be at least as far away from its bank as Britain. IMHO.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bring it Draconi..HUGE Luna invasion..extremely deadly..long lasting..burning vendor houses. Send the UO version of Babylon to its rightful place...ruins.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
moving the luna moongate would remove a huge advantage to requipping blues during pvp. makes them make the same stops everyone else has to make to regear.

U

UOKaiser

Im so confused. What the hell everyone has against luna? No luna then you gotta spend days searching little vender houses in the farthest reaches of land for something you want. No luna everyone would move to tokuno area where there is a larger area for vender houses and a mongate in the city. Man ya are crazy. Ive played the game as long as ya have but dam are you all against any games that use that new fangle version of 3d and color tv doesnt match up to black and white tv? Is everyone over 80 here? Is the atari still the center of youre room? I have to say you all are insane, crazy beyond a doubt. I'll be joining you later but I still have some youth left to keep intact :)

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if Luna and Umbra have problems and as much as the new Britain Bank design makes us curious, I believe unintended consequences will occur.
What? Maybe the Gypsies know where players will go and do their banking.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You mean the East Brit Bank right?

All I have seen near the west bank is the new mad, scaredy cats or steal from you npcs. This was on GL, LS and Atlantic. Although these npcs are not as much fun as the lizardmen from old days. You can survive them.

Be careful what some of ya wish for with Luna invasions. Prepare for lag you cannot even imagine.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im so confused. What the hell everyone has against luna? No luna then you gotta spend days searching little vender houses in the farthest reaches of land for something you want. No luna everyone would move to tokuno area where there is a larger area for vender houses and a mongate in the city. Man ya are crazy. Ive played the game as long as ya have but dam are you all against any games that use that new fangle version of 3d and color tv doesnt match up to black and white tv? Is everyone over 80 here? Is the atari still the center of youre room? I have to say you all are insane, crazy beyond a doubt. I'll be joining you later but I still have some youth left to keep intact :)

Simple answer, because the game was better, more fun, and better fleshed out when you could run into players anywhere you went. People did things in smaller groups, traded locally, brought and sold services, formed local guilds instead of this cross-shard B.S.

P.S., what are you, 6? :) Don't want anything to change for the better because it wouldn't be exactly the same as it is right now? Those kind of arguments can be spun around on you. Many of us remember a better, more fun game than you spend most of your time defending today.

especially if what you find yourself defending now is Luna of all things... yuck. No accounting for taste.

C

Calla Lily

Before the invasions, I usually used the West Brit bank. Maybe I felt nostalgic for the old days when everyone gathered there. I do go into Luna to get my BoDs or tend my vendor there, but for about everything else, I go to Zento. It's quiet, but beautiful and very convenient.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uh not really. People still hungout in Britain even after Luna. And yeah was invasions, unable to just recall into Britain etc. If there hadn't been any invasion in Britain they'd sure be more people around then there is now.
Yeah, they did, but 2 or 3 years ago when the original Despise invasion took place, most folks realized that Luna made a better spot that the WBB. This isn't because of the most recent invasion. That just re-enforced it a bit. Personally I prefer the Luna Bank. It's much more fun to hang out there than WBB ever was; more convenient and more artfully designed.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They wouldn't dare have a Luna invasion. All the shop owners would quit etc. And what would we do without their overpriced stuff?
We had an invasion of Luna about 3 or 4 years ago on Napa Valley. It was a very evil Demon that we failed to slay for a week. It basically killed everyone on sight and blew up their bodies. It was quite nasty, but we were still able to recall into Luna, and most of the shopping continued, but it was fun to see how fast the bank cleared out when the demon (what was his name?) moved towards the bank. :stretcher:

U

UOKaiser

Simple answer, because the game was better, more fun, and better fleshed out when you could run into players anywhere you went. People did things in smaller groups, traded locally, brought and sold services, formed local guilds instead of this cross-shard B.S.

P.S., what are you, 6? :) Don't want anything to change for the better because it wouldn't be exactly the same as it is right now? Those kind of arguments can be spun around on you. Many of us remember a better, more fun game than you spend most of your time defending today.

especially if what you find yourself defending now is Luna of all things... yuck. No accounting for taste.
I understand where ya coming from but that was a long time ago like drive in movies. Yea it was fun back in the days but everyone has to get over it those days are gone Have to move forward now with the players we got and look for the convenience instead of remmebering the times I walk 10 miles to get to school everyday. Just have to adapt to different kind of fun. Can't reverse the clock only on freeshards but thats another thing.

D

Divster

yes how dare the devs try and create new scenarios, why can't they just let us sit in sosaria with sweet fa to do! I'm going to stamp my feet and cry whenever something happens that forces me to do soemthing different for a change! :flame:

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Britain has been dead on chesapeake for a long, long time. People have tried to get people to go there but it never works. :sad4:

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand where ya coming from but that was a long time ago like drive in movies. Yea it was fun back in the days but everyone has to get over it those days are gone Have to move forward now with the players we got and look for the convenience instead of remmebering the times I walk 10 miles to get to school everyday. Just have to adapt to different kind of fun. Can't reverse the clock only on freeshards but thats another thing.
No. It's not. And no it doesn't.

I do not consider "everyone only goes to Luna" something inevitable, positive, and progressive that everyone just needs to accept as a natural development, because it isn't.

Luna is the result of two things. A moongate practically right into the bank and every shop directly adjoining the bank, and town attacks on every other town which drive people away from using them.

Bad development/design decisions, IMHO. I said exactly the same thing in '99 back during the original undead attacks, which took Trinsic (a formerly thriving town with its own community) and completely emptied it with some hamhanded overwrought undead invasion of super-strong undeads that we couldn't get rid of (by any means) for weeks. After that Trinsic never recovered, and never again had a regular community on my shard.

If you see something you do with the game's story and events has a negative effect like that, you should stop. Instead I see that the idea of town attacks has continued on and off since I left back in late '01 or early '02. And I find that rather incomprehensible.

So no, I don't see this all as just natural forward progress and everyone should adapt. I see it as the result of poorly thought out events which hurt the game world. And rather easy measures could be taken to correct it. Hit Luna with an ongoing invasion for a month, and move its moongate. Problem solved.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of people barely use cities at all any more ... I only go to quickly drop gold in the bank or do turn in some BODs. If there were more town-based systems (unique to each town), there would be more interest in people hanging around in these public places.

(it would be cool if there were quests blurted out by tavern patrons on rare occasions so that there would be incentive to hang around inside them)

E

El Phantasmo

Yes the location of the Luna moongate versus the Brit gate is one of the main issues. However, the close proximity and multitude of NPC's to the Luna bank is the other. The shopping mall also plays a role as well.

I have a feeling if you move the gate the distance similar to that of one in Brit, remove the NPC's(provisioners, tailor, smith, etc), and free up some of the area outside of Brit walls for vendor houses then it would be an even playing field.

If the location of the gate was the only issue in Luna then why isn't Zento swarmed with people?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Why don't they bring out the old style NPC quests where you'd hand an NPC some gold and he'd tell you a rumor. "I heard there was a <insert what ever here> somewhere near Despise" You could go there and bash a few monsters and with luck find such an item. If they put that back in with a rare chance of getting some of the really good items like Doom Arties or Tokuno Majors (can always say a monster killed and looted it :lick:) then it might be more possible to draw players back to Trammel and Felucca banks provided that's the only two facets this option was available.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good Idea...

*screams to devs*

DO IT!!