• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Greater dragon in 2024

Woitab

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi all, I'm an old player who has never truly left nor been very active.

I have a good tamer, and my question is simple:

is my old greater dragon (at least 8 years old) still a good choice?
It is not a perfect one, maybe around 4.5 score on calculator, but it used to be pretty effective overall in most situations. It has 5 control slot.
Still worth using it daily our should I go to another pet?
I'm a mage/veterinary/tamer having most needed skills to 120

Thanks for your help!

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The simple answer is yes you can do everything with your pet today pets like weapons and such are very specific tailored to each encounter but despite what all the experts are gonna come tell you the answer is still yes

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
4.5 is still a really good rating for a Greater Dragon. They can certainly still be effective in just about all content.

However, you won't see as many (if any) as you used to, as the new animal taming dynamic has made Tritons and Cu Sidhe's largely the pets of choice due to how much they can be customized. Most will be more powerful (and less clunky in terms of movement) compared to the old Greater Dragons. So keep using your GD, but don't overlook some of the other pets out there. Good luck on your return ! :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kill the dragon. Move on with new pets.

Have any old Nightmares or bake kitsunes, don't kill those. All dragons should be returned to pixel heaven.

New pets are much better than an old GD.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
GDs get out performed in virtually every category by newer pets leveled to 5 slots.
DPS? Chiv+AI pets easily out damage a GD, especially if you use pets that target your victim's weakest resist, which is why Crimson/Platinum Drakes are so great for damage with 120 Chiv+AI. Pit even a high rating GD vs a wild GD, and the fight takes forever, but put a Chiv+AI 100% Cold Damage Crimson/Platinum Drake (or Krampus Frost Drake) against a wild GD, and the wild GD gets pwned fast.
Tanking? A 5 slot Triton or Cu can easily out tank a GD, while dishing out more damage.