• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"You've been idle too long" deaths

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
when i am on my tamer,in a dungeon, bandaging pet, after 10-20 min i have gotten the you have been idle too long if you don't do something you will be logged out message. of course i am doing something i am bandaging pet while trying not to draw aggro.now this has happened 5-6 times this week, so far, and i have tried casting spell which either draws aggro from mobs and i die, or if i get lucky and they don't aggro on me i still get kicked off and log back in to me and my pets corpses. This is getting old quick, and i do not remember ever having this happen before. anyone else having this happen?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
move something in your back pack now and then to prevent that. I don't know where you're hunting, but in dicey situations such as Miasma I cast invis on myself as one dies, then I open the corpse but don't loot it until the new one is fighting the pet. At that point I reveal by looting anything I want from the corpse and bandaging the pet.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Take one step and then move back. I don't see why a slight bit of movement every 15 minutes should be an issue, assuming you aren't AFK scripting.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Never had the idle thing happen to me while I was fighting anything. When it hits and I am bank sitting I just open and close a runebook. Keeps me logged in.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Take one step and then move back. I don't see why a slight bit of movement every 15 minutes should be an issue, assuming you aren't AFK scripting.
A lot of stuff will retarget if you move within their range window.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Never had the idle thing happen to me while I was fighting anything. When it hits and I am bank sitting I just open and close a runebook. Keeps me logged in.
yes have had it happen while bank sitting before, but this never happened while i was in a dungeon before. only new thing is i am using( or trying to) the EC client, and it is very buggy(at least for me), so that may have something to do with it. I will use the runebook trick next time happens(if it does) and hopefully that works.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pinco's EC also has an afk key under one of the actions menus that lets you sit there forever without logging out - puts little Zs on the screen that only you can see that count as action

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've never quite understood how the game determines that you've been idle. For some reason if you go afk in Luna bank on Atlantic you almost never get logged out no matter how long you're gone. There have been times where I forgot to log out, came back 12 hours later and was still logged in standing in the same spot.

I don't use EC or Pinco's so the afk thing Yadd mentioned wouldn't apply here.

I was told it's because another player's name being recorded in your journal counts as activity, and since Luna has an endless stream of people running in and out it keeps you logged in. If that were the case though it seems like seeing monster names in a dungeon would do the same thing... yet it doesn't work in dungeons.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've never quite understood how the game determines that you've been idle. For some reason if you go afk in Luna bank on Atlantic you almost never get logged out no matter how long you're gone. There have been times where I forgot to log out, came back 12 hours later and was still logged in standing in the same spot.

I don't use EC or Pinco's so the afk thing Yadd mentioned wouldn't apply here.

I was told it's because another player's name being recorded in your journal counts as activity, and since Luna has an endless stream of people running in and out it keeps you logged in. If that were the case though it seems like seeing monster names in a dungeon would do the same thing... yet it doesn't work in dungeons.
NPC movement counts also. You can sit in Haven with no players ever coming in and the NPCs keep you active.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
NPC movement counts also. You can sit in Haven with no players ever coming in and the NPCs keep you active.
EC Still idle logs you out though. :( Another reason I may switch to CC.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pinco's EC also has an afk key under one of the actions menus that lets you sit there forever without logging out - puts little Zs on the screen that only you can see that count as action
Actually, the AFK action has the character say '.' every 4.5 minutes or so, that is what keeps you logged in. The Z's are purely cosmetic. One thing to note, however, is that a GM could boot you if you're truly AFK somewhere for unattended macroing.

EC Still idle logs you out though. :( Another reason I may switch to CC.
Either say something every 4.something minutes, or get Pinco's UI like Yadd mentioned and have it do it for you.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, the AFK action has the character say '.' every 4.5 minutes or so, that is what keeps you logged in. The Z's are purely cosmetic
Interesting. Actually, if the Zs are purely cosmetic, I'd rather not see them at all, but I guess that's a discussion for the Pinco's forum

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Z's in Pinco's don't work anymore anyhow, at least not for me, I still get message about logout at, let me say, very dangerous and inopportune times such as mentioned above. It is happening now when training pets because sometimes you just stand there and let your pet fight when he gets to a level that he needs no or very little healing so us Pinco/EC users suffer also.