• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

You're 100% solo, don't buy from vendors, have 7 days alacrity, and have 2 s-stones. What do you do?

Istaria

Visitor
AKA the newbie buying a starter pack plus a couple of stones from the store.

Complete independence is the goal here.

No power scrolls until you can hunt them.

No team.

No artifacts to buy.

No money starting (not that it matters, because no items for sale on vendors).

You DO however have amazing gains for a full week.

What's your progression?

First char? Support and crafters? Eventual main?

Interested to see opinions :)

Aes.

Merth

Journeyman
Im no expert but I would think you need a character that can fight first so use your scroll for that char.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fully believe that anything except taming to 90 is a waste. Personally I’d work Magery up without the token, then activate and work taming. After that I’d look at bard skills.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My 2 cents.

This assumes you are on a 6-character shard (7 if you bought used the code). I also do not know how the token will affect soulstone use - as the new player quests and alacrity scrolls prevent use of soulstones or buying starting skills.

First, if possible, save Tamer and Bard plans for if you buy a Mythic Token (which you'd use to pick taming, provo, disco, peace, and one other skill with the token such as inscription or spellweaving).

Second, Prime all the skills:
a. Create characters custom or by template for the eventual training.
b. Buy every skill you can in New Haven up to 40 or 33, across multiple characters. Save one character to receive trained skills via soulstones.
c. Do every accelerated skill gain quest in New Haven, using the characters, to get those skills to 50.
d. Arrange the skills for optimum training.
e. DO THE SPELLWEAVING QUESTS BEFORE USING THE TOKEN.
f. train resource-gathering skills up into at least the 70s or 80s before token use. They gain fast enough without it, and you'll need the resources if you train crafters.

Now, use the Accelerated gain token, concentrating on one skill set at a time.
a. Train skills where multiple skills can be trained at once (combat will typically do weapon skill and/or casting skills, anatomy, tactics, parry, focus and med).
b. Skills that you can train solo passively (examples: the common means of training Resist or Parry), don't waste the token's time on, but don't dismiss the gains you can get from normal PvM in them.
c. Skills that you have to grind, like LP, Cart, crafting skills, etc. save for after you get some combat characters done - but have the resources on hand to start working on them immediately when you have the time. Examples: Buy the locked boxes needed for LP (and trapped ones detect hidden, if you wish) or find a training facility, before you use the token. Lumberjacking & Mining you can train much of the way, before using the token. Casting training at home (spam casting on self, or AoE), is something really only needed from 80 and up (with the possible exception of spellweaving). Consider doing the Tailoring & Blacksmith BODs, and Imbuing quests, to get the scrolls as you train the skills up (or buy them - they are cheap, even free sometimes).
d. Note which skills you can train on with minimal waste and/or downtime, potentially with rewards from training. For example, you can buy bowcraft/fletching to 33, maybe more - then do Heartwood archery quests all the way to GM (progressing from "a simple bow" to the three "ingenious archery" quests in order as you can make the items), potentially getting runics along the way. You just have to have plenty of wood (and taking the quest, making 10 items with the items marked for quest, and claiming, repeatedly, makes a lot less of a mess than having to dump or sell off your pack contents).
e. some skills you can set up macros to train while you're doing other things simultaneously (hiding, stealth, animal lore, etc.) while others gain from use of other skills or can be macroed as well (eval, anatomy, arms lore, etc.) - ask for help setting up macros from a local friend who knows the client you're using (or UOAssist). As noted before, some skills gain easily enough (you can typically GM arms lore while training crafting skills with weapons and armor; anatomy goes up from healing and combat, eval goes up faster than magery, etc. so you might not want to waste a macro on them)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd do what I always do. Train hiding and stealth first. Then Ninjitsu to 90 or so. Then Stealing and snooping. Then I'd train tracking and detect hidden if I felt like it and had time. Then hit the champ spawns, steal some scrolls, and repeat. This is just a typical thing for me minus the alacrity scroll.

Blargety

Journeyman
Create 3 characters. One Sampire, Two Crafters.

Raise the Sampire first. Template looks something like:

120 Swords
100 Tactics
100 Necro
120 Bushido
100 Resists with a 120 scroll eaten
Chiv and Parry (Whatever suits your play-style the best, do some general research on a sampire before you start)

Then, your 2 crafters. Make one specifically for gathering/tinkering/whatever, and the other as your primary crafter.

First thing you do is raise up the Sampire to be as strong as possible. Then, soul stone off all of his skills onto one or both of your crafters. Next, get the gathering skills, and tinkering to 100, and put them on the appropriate crafter. Following this, go gather as much resources as you can, and use the Sampire with the Alacrity buff to raise all of your crafting skills as high as you possibly can with the remaining time. Prioritize Imbuing, Tailoring, Blacksmithing, in that order specifically. Once you have them as high as you can take them, or all the way to 120, put them on the appropriate crafter and get your samp skills back on. A low level samp with poor gear can still do a lot of work. Use that time to establish yourself with the Sampire's abilities, and as your crafters get better, and you become more understanding of the system, you can create imbued suits that will easily carry your through 1/3 of the champ spawns with only a single Greater + level artifact in the imbued suit.

If you're on a dead prodo shard, this is going to make everything very difficult for you, as you'll struggle to get the power scrolls you need. So after that first week, start making as many friends as you possibly can. Best of luck adventurer!

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
well with a name like Istaria….i'd forget UO as you will only be let down and go play your name sake.
Istaria is the BEST crafting MMORPG and has playable Dragons!

:)
Oddly enough, I was just looking at this website today. I had someone create a character on a site of mine and had an active character in "horizons" which I believe is what this used to be called. I was sure it was a mistake but the game is still alive somehow... it almost looks like a clone or something with the how unprofessional some of the patch notes are.... oh wait.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been Istaria in games for 20+ years....they copied me :p
I have to admit after the failure of the 1st PC beta of Fallout 76 I was worried that somebody else might have taken the name Sindala, which is what I've been called in every single game I've played since computers were invented :)
I never realised how much stress "naming" a char could be ;)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i love it when folks claim to be the original name that appears multiple times especailly in UO