• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

WTH???

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
A new player came along on ATL a few months ago and One person in Help made him a multi million dollar suit. Then another gave him 20 million. Then he accidentally placed another house and I stored all his belongings in mine till he could place another house and moved all his stuff back. Then another person assisted him with PVP armor and started teaching him to PVP. Then a girl in game that liked him he whined to her he needed money. She sent him 40.00 and then he bragged he would go buy beer and weed now and doesn't even talk to her now. But tonight I log on and he is slamming all of us who are in help chat that his guild will kill all of us. he cut down all the people who helped him, burnt all his bridges. It made no sense. But to watch a new player get so much handed to him by a few then do this to them... It was the most well sad. When the country is in so much turmoil. To see a person be so hateful to those who helped him and toss us aside like trash. What is happening to this world. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are those of us that help, Those of us that need help, and then there are the ****heels that take advantage of the other two . . .

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly, the helping players out thing was a lesson I had to learn the hard way too...

I am by no means UO "rich", but I have enough. I gave away alot of stuff... gold, suits, pets, even castles. But in the end what I found was that people who never had to "earn" some of the upper end stuff never really learned to appreciate it.

Nowdays, I am more than willing to help with some of the low to mid-range stuff... but what I do offer is time and advice. If you want that high end mage suit, ok... let's figure out what to go hunt so you have a chance at some good loot. You want a castle... lets go look for IDOCs and I'll do my best to help you find just the right place to place that castle. What I really don't do is do all the work myself just to hand stuff off to someone else who never really learned what it takes to have that kind of stuff.

Just my .02

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I used to help out regularly.

Now, I'll do about one a year, and will budget a few hundred mil into them regardless of their player status.

If they choose to pass it on, that's up to them.

You win some, you lose some.

I once pieced a legendary suit together with other items and the dude scoffed at it because he did like the look of one of the pieces.

So I cancelled the trade and gave it to someone else who was more appreciative.

Another dude I dumped about 200 mil into scrolls and a suit and guy didn't even thank me.

Guy asked "are we about done, I have to go".

-Yep, now we are...

Sometimes you can't help but laugh at the audacity.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't worry, Philly, that's just his "play style" ... not a play style that I would support ... but really, it's been going on ever since UO started almost 20 years ago ... don't let it bring you down

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have devoted loads of time to help new and re-starting playes with nothing on my shard for atleast 14 years . To start with empty hands and slowly earn all you need is a great experience. Atleast it was when I started in 2000. Ower the years the game changed and it became really hard to start up. A full resist or LRC suit with some extras and 50 k for insurance , a crystal ball of knowledge..Is what I find most needful. I have a house with little books with basic info and where to find web guides. All sorts of teleporters and a book with a rune to my place. Lp training boxes . House teleporter to a shop with rune library and repairdeeds etc.. I spend hours explaining stuff and recomand them to come to our daily meeting in Britain at the west bank , where veterans banksit and welcome new and returning players 1 hour every evening. We answer questions and repair and help out with all sorts of things but mainly offer knowledge and help them to join a guild for new and returning ppl.
The banksitting hour has been going obn for ower 3 years now . Cooks brings us food and coffee and its very relaxed.

The suit they get for free is made for training , lightweight and sewed in stats and mana and some di. No talis aprons cloaks etc. That should be earned. Some wear the suit forever others pick up cursed loot the next day as something handed for free must be crap in their opinion. I never comment ot let it get to me or I had been to discouraged to continue sometimes. Its theirs and if they get the chance to owercome the first hadr discouraging period.

This is to give back somethig to the game for all fun I still have and for doing what I can to keep the shard helthy. And im not alone, we are a small crowd at the bank most evenings. So its not a mother Theresa ting, its for us, the existing players.

Im not poor , I could afford to give them millions but to me it is to spoil their experience. And make some of them take for granted they are entitled to support, and dont have to set up goals and work for it. Its more ruining than helping .

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The help, suit, gold and house I get (bravo to everyone that gave)... but the $40 cash WOW. Sounds to me that person should be making more stratics donations, opening another account or buying in game store items instead of giving to new members. Like you see those same noobs spamming in chat/bank for gold donations and i'm sure they get some, but don't feel anyone should be giving them out real cash especially when it could be better spent!

Don't forget, even in the real world there's beggars on the streets that are millionaires. Personally I don't get it and would never do that myself but to each their own, I actually enjoy being a merchant in game :)

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The top fun and most rewarding part in UO is in the process of crafting/gathering ur own suit together, raising ur skills up, getting this particular drop, bonding a pet or even loosing an item.

"The process in procedure is its own reward"

So i wouldn't blame entry level players that are getting the help as much as i blame the players who are actually helping them with tons of gold destroying their game experience

This reminds me so much of a guy which used to ask me a trillion question a day, for a couple months (& i was always ready to reply him on icq)... Then one day he came asking me for some gold and this guy never talked to me again right after i said no.

Anyways, I wish that those players will realize that advices are worth a lot more than gold one day.

Last edited:

keyvan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Procedure gathering ur own suit together, procedure raising ur skills up, procedure getting this particular drop, procedure is the top fun rewarding part in uo in my experience. (Reason why i got 18templates on 3 different shards)

"The process in procedure is its own reward"

So i wouldn't blame players that are getting the help as much as i blame the players who are actually helping them with crazy amounts of money tbh.

This reminds me so much of a guy which used to ask me a trillion question a day, for a couple months (& i was always ready to reply him on icq)... Then one day he came asking me for some gold, and i was like no, you want something go get it. This guy never talked to me ever since...

Anyways, I wish that those players will realize that advices are worth a lot more than gold one day.
Give me some gold gandalf

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was not his main account and you guys got swindled.

Enziet

Journeyman
I kept telling everyone over and over and OVER again. Don't help them... Nobody Listened to me! All of you that gave him stuff it's nobodies fault but your own. I know you want to help new players but seriously. When people in Help chat tell you not to give someone something don't do it. Chances are we have been around for awhile and can tell who is who just by the way they talk.

I'm sorry but you got swindled by a low class scammer.

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a returning player, my primary shard is Pac. I have tried to start over on different shards a few times and when I receive too much help, it ruins the experience.
I started again about a week ago, this time on ATL and am enjoying the challenge of starting from scratch.
No house, no support characters, just my 1k starting gp and a handful of regs.

I hunted New Haven until I could afford cheap LRC items from player vendors. Now I have a 100%LRC suit and am just barely able to survive Shame lvl 1.
This is a great way for me to remember the old days when I first started. The gameplay makes the experience so much more rich. The challenge of surviving a fight against basic mobs, saving up to buy armor one piece at a time and scavenging dropped items to sell to NPCs.

Struggling to achieve these minor milestones allows me to appreciate the help when it is offered, regardless of its size. The UO community is very supportive and generous. It is a shame to see someone take advantage of it. It would be a greater shame if players like those cause the rare few good players to stop helping.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
There are friendly people on Siege too. Go figure. If you are returning to UO remember Siege is an option and you can have a house there too!

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why you folk think that giving new players "multi million gold suits" or "20 million gold" or whatever else, is a good thing is beyond me. It doesnt help them. At all. It spoils them, makes them unappreciative of the game, stops them learning the game. It doesnt help one iota. And you wonder why they then behave like spoilt children ... its because you treat them like spoilt children.

By all means provide them with some gold to throw up a house and get some 'basic' (although basic now isnt what it used to be) equipment befitting there skills and experience, but for gods sake stop kitting them out to the teeth and wondering why it all goes wrong. Sheesh!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why you folk think that giving new players "multi million gold suits" or "20 million gold" or whatever else, is a good thing is beyond me. It doesnt help them. At all. It spoils them, makes them unappreciative of the game, stops them learning the game. It doesnt help one iota. And you wonder why they then behave like spoilt children ... its because you treat them like spoilt children.

By all means provide them with some gold to throw up a house and get some 'basic' (although basic now isnt what it used to be) equipment befitting there skills and experience, but for gods sake stop kitting them out to the teeth and wondering why it all goes wrong. Sheesh!
It's so true.

I remember that one guy a while ago. He was a total noob when I met him in Haven. So I showed him around a bit, talked him through LRC and stuff, hunted low level mobs and all that things with him. I shoed him a small 7x10 housing spot and he started out his life. We did this for about a week and it he was so excited every time we advanced a bit further or tried something new.

Then at one day I recalled to his house and he was packing his things up. He told me a guild had recruited him, and they were giving him an 18x18 straight away. He was wrapped in the best armor your could find. Lt sash style. They took him to spawns in Fel and all that right on day one of entering the guild. I knew where this was heading.

That was the last time I saw him online. Soon after his new house was IDOC too. Go figure.

Last edited:

Enziet

Journeyman
This story is exactly why you don't hand new players the world. Be they actually new or returning or just another old player cheating people.

It's a video game, you can hand someone everything they need but then what is the point of the game? You've just had the game handed to you. I say for the next three months (summer) nobody hands out anything to new players except advice. See how many people stick around when they actually have a game to play and have fun with rather then logging in and having no goals.

I understand the being nice mentality, and helping others along. But don't give out gear or houses. Give out advice, go out hunting with the new players, but don't give them anything. Just the loot that drops they have their fair share of, and see what happens. Maybe people will actually stick around longer than the 30 day trial??

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I give em stuff then tell them I have to go. Usually prevents them from asking for more :)