• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wrest Training low level (55)

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there -

as a returning player, I try to work my way through "modern" pet training/shaping. Tried to follow the pet train sticky but have a prob with my cu sidhe: He is at 55 wrestling, and when I try to fight shadow eles or the brigand I wont gain in wrest but only in anat/tacs. Maybe those targets are already too high themselves since they raised their wrestling also to 100? Or do I have to do damage to gain in wrestling?

Thx 4 help! Regards, Fizzle

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Hi there -

as a returning player, I try to work my way through "modern" pet training/shaping. Tried to follow the pet train sticky but have a prob with my cu sidhe: He is at 55 wrestling, and when I try to fight shadow eles or the brigand I wont gain in wrest but only in anat/tacs. Maybe those targets are already too high themselves since they raised their wrestling also to 100? Or do I have to do damage to gain in wrestling?

Thx 4 help! Regards, Fizzle
Your pet needs to be within about 20 skill of what it's fighting to gain. So if your cu is about 55 wrestling and shadow ele is over 75 your cu won't gain. Recommend you try fighting lizardmen or ratmen until your cu gets to around 70 wrestling, then try shadow ore ele again. You could take him to the sleeping dragon spawn and your cu's wrestling will be higher in no time.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The shadow eles start at different levels of wrestling and tactics.

These examples are not exact. They start at:

Wres 90 tact 60
Wrest 60 tact 90
Wrest 60 tact 60
Wrest 90 tact 90

I take an archer and kill one until the skills match my pet.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Have you tried the orcs in the small forts in Malas?

There's typically only up to 4 at a time in the forts, one leader, 1 mage, 1 regular, 1 captain (the one that can have the stout whip for that one quest). Generally, the mage and at least one other of the orcs should be low level enough in wrestling to get gains, and you can get gains in other things as well (such as resist)

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I've used Shame level 1 also for pets with 50-75 wrestling. You can just walk on the path around the edge of the map in a large circle for continuous spawn. Plus get a nice amount of gold while your pet trains.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I regularly use Gregario all the way up to just under 100 wrestling with a bard, around 65-70ish without.
Really? I'll have to try him again. In the past he always seemed to slow way down once pet got to around 55. Maybe he gains skill as people train on him like the shadow ele does. Unfortunately we can't use lore on him to check his skill levels.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I use Gregorio to get pets to 75 to 80 in wrestling and tactics. Then switch to a shadow elemental, which, with the right one, can take you all the way to 120.
Shadow elemental that are 100 in wrestling and 100 tactics, can be used as low as 75. 25 is the maximum difference between your pet and whatever you’re using for wrestling and tactics gains. I have tried this with many pets, so I know the 25 point range is correct.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Really? I'll have to try him again. In the past he always seemed to slow way down once pet got to around 55. Maybe he gains skill as people train on him like the shadow ele does. Unfortunately we can't use lore on him to check his skill levels.
You will need the assistance of a friendly bard. If you have a low skill pet, put it on Gregorio until it caps out, then discord your pet and let it gain up until it caps again. Once you drop discord, your pet is often around 90+ in skills. It's also worth noting that Gregorio can (and will) gain his own skills as he is fighting a lower pet. We actually ran into an issue once where we rotated pets for so long on Gregorio that he had raised his Wrestling/Tactics high enough that low pets weren't gaining on him anymore~

Rhafiki

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Things you can use animal lore on seem the best to train pets on for me. You can lore them and see what their skill is and compare.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
55 is enough to train on a shadow iron elemental up to 75 skill. Why complicate this?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do not know it but there is some trick to getting the tactics to go up. Maybe the wrestling has to start lower than tactics. But I have taken many pets there and the tactics goes to 100. And many do not so I head for a Shadow ele.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Most of the slugs I've lored have 50 tactics and 80 wrestling.

In my experience they work great for raising wrestling and parry.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Spend enough hours there and they gain. If you want fast gains use a shadow ele.