• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

would you consider this legal or illegal?

Legal?

• Yes

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 27 67.5%

• Total voters

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
God, that gave me nightmares.

Remember during the forced spawn times when everyone would carry around things stuck in a box, then break them to trap you? Good times...

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's Siege?

What is going on in that area anyway, what's the storyline?
I've been there myself the last couple of days, didn't understand what was happening.
I jumped through the EM gate fine by the way, yesterday, I have a habit of just jumping in gates, looks like I was lucky. :D

Re is it legal, is it illegal, I know a lot think of that as illegal, whilst I don't usually do that myself anymore - since factions, it's not the sort of thing that bothers me, just part of the game.
So I won't answer the initial question, as I'm in between, it doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As long as they didn't change the actual data stream, and played with strictly the coding the devs put in, I say its legal. Moral? who knows...proper? probably not. But they code it, we play it, and as long as its done within those bounds it should be legal

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re is it legal, is it illegal, I know a lot think of that as illegal, whilst I don't usually do that myself anymore - since factions, it's not the sort of thing that bothers me, just part of the game.
It is. It's been a long-standing rule that you have to leave a path to exit in Fel. I've had guilds do that to me, so I just tell them I'm paging a GM in gen chat. They move w/e the object is (usually a crate) pretty quickly after that.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Bo, Shiver, and Siege P also like to put a cactus outside of labyrinth, so if you run out you get stuck on it without being able to move.

Their explanation to me was basically - **** you this is siege, no one cares, and we will do what we want.

They can easily gank most people on that shard, not sure why they feel the need to resort to the tom****ery.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If no escape path, it is illegal. This was made known years ago. A call to a GM should get it fixed right quick - by someone.

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
on shards where there is a tram that is illegal no doubt.
But this happened on Siege, and its legal there by all means.
Remember ladies, Siege is the hard shard... Bo thinks a lot of you flowers forget this.

Last edited:

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
was legal to do in factions guarding the faction base because it was used as a stragety in the base not used to grief players in fel should be legal in VvV. its no different than laying down energyfields in the base.Think about it do you leave open spaces for the enemy to get through laying down energyfields?You could also have hidden characters on the open spaces if a stealther tries to walk over the hidden character they get revealed.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless I see official documentation stating otherwise I consider this legal.

DrVenkman

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Cop used to do that to me all the time back in the day when we were doing sigils, they would block the entrance to the sigils at minax base and you couldnt pick the candles up either because you pick one up and theres still like 100 more right under it so it was pretty much a lost cause trying to steal the sigils back. Felt unfair to me because your supposed to fight for the sigils not use cheap tactics like that but oh well its just a game what are you gonna do

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shenanigans. I wouldn't waste my time trying to get a GM onto it. Move on or step up your game.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unless I see official documentation stating otherwise I consider this legal.
This is what Jeremy Dalberg (Broadsword Community rep or something like that) had to say when asked in a Five on Fridays:

FoF: Far, Far Away
Jeremy Dalberg
03 Jul 2008 16:08:04

"What are the rules regarding blocking off areas in faction warfare?"

There are a couple of different possible cases - here is the breakdown:

Faction Vendors: There MUST be a path between or around them. If there is not, the GMs will take action.
In A Faction City (but not in the stronghold): If there are items placed in such a way that other players can't move them easily (many many candelabras on one tile, for example) the GMs will take action.
In A Faction Stronghold: Anything goes.
If the GMs are forced to take action in any case, they will delete the items/vendors that are blocking a player's path. The faction signup stone is a good indication of where a faction stronghold begins. Keeping that in mind, any blocking that occurs outside of that area may warrant action.

Post #9 in this thread:
Factions 101

Question #3:
Five on Friday - July 3, 2008 - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Old info, yes, but unless someone finds any more recent official info stating otherwise, this is what goes.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Old info, yes, but unless someone finds any more recent official info stating otherwise, this is what goes.
I would tend to agree but we don't have factions anymore and those examples refer to factions.

I guess in modern day UO it would be up to the "victim" to page a GM about the issue. We all know that in 90% of cases by the time the GM arrives the blocking item would of decayed.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
actually ask Mesanna or the devs if this from factions is still legal to do, or now illegal now that factions are gone. this way you will all know the answer

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would tend to agree but we don't have factions anymore and those examples refer to factions.

I guess in modern day UO it would be up to the "victim" to page a GM about the issue. We all know that in 90% of cases by the time the GM arrives the blocking item would of decayed.
I knew someone was gonna take that route...

The Q&A is about factions, yes.
The rule itself is a general rule that also applied to factions. Only real difference was in the base where total blocking was legal.

When some people on Europa were boxing in afk rail scripters in Heartwood they were told they had to leave a path open or it would be deemed illegal. They did a spiral kind of blockage and the scripters got stuck and just stood there.

But like I said, if anyone can provide some other official info stating otherwise, feel free to post it here or link to it.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But like I said, if anyone can provide some other official info stating otherwise, feel free to post it here or link to it.
I don't think there is any recent official rules. This is something they should of discussed and published before the release of EJ in my opinion. Along with the infamous list of approved 3rd party applications.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The origin for the "it's not legal if there's no path" came from people throwing bagballs, etc. over and around the teleporter tile in star room. Making it so if someone teleported in they have no chance of getting out unless they ran a script to pick up items or if they were using EC and had salvage option on... the work-arounds are irrelevant though.

If we were allowed to report to GMs then and have them come in remove the items and spank the people involved, same rule should still apply. This is something that was most definitely a rule at one point or another...

Why this rule isn't posted somewhere is beyond me. I did a uo.com site search and couldn't find it.

If I find something I'll post it here.

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I knew someone was gonna take that route...

The Q&A is about factions, yes.
The rule itself is a general rule that also applied to factions. Only real difference was in the base where total blocking was legal.

When some people on Europa were boxing in afk rail scripters in Heartwood they were told they had to leave a path open or it would be deemed illegal. They did a spiral kind of blockage and the scripters got stuck and just stood there.

no real proof! Europa is not Siege, factions are no longer. You had your chance to page on the Bo and have a gm smack the Bo, but that never happened. Ya know why??? because it is not illegal on Siege. Like Bo told ya before, the Bo has asked several gms if this was illegal and they all said it was perfectly legal on siege.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
no real proof! Europa is not Siege, factions are no longer. You had your chance to page on the Bo and have a gm smack the Bo, but that never happened. Ya know why??? because it is not illegal on Siege. Like Bo told ya before, the Bo has asked several gms if this was illegal and they all said it was perfectly legal on siege.
Sorry. Bo's alleged conversations with GMs is not official info. Please try again.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd say apart from speculation there will be no answer here.

Either a GM or someone from Broadsword can clear that up, and even then I wouldn't count on it to play out that way 100% of the time.

After all there is a human making a judgement on the other end. And most likely he has not all of UO's 20 years of developer statements next to him.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So Mesanna has replied on the UO forums saying

"No this is not legal and you should call a GM to get them removed."

What happens when you page a GM and then get a reply the next day though?

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Any type of blocking usually falls under this. "They are blocking me from leaving." Or "They are blocking me from entering." etc. etc. To block any area in fel or tram, to the point where there is no go around or path will result in you entering the penalty box. So yes it is illegal, and people are still currently being punished for doing it if the GM sees it happening.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So yes it is illegal, and people are still currently being punished for doing it if the GM sees it happening.
So lets say I block the teleporter in the star room. Kill a bunch of people who have just finished a spawn. Loot all the stuff and then leave. They then page to a GM.

By the time the GM arrives I would be long gone and there is not much they can do. This is the problem. I mean can the GM even see how put the items down that block the way? I really doubt it.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
was legal to do in factions guarding the faction base because it was used as a stragety in the base not used to grief players in fel should be legal in VvV. its no different than laying down energyfields in the base.Think about it do you leave open spaces for the enemy to get through laying down energyfields?You could also have hidden characters on the open spaces if a stealther tries to walk over the hidden character they get revealed.
This judgement seemed to vary with the gm who responded to the page.

Most agreed it was not legal, but later on it became legal since factions wasn't deemed a public path (some would remove it up to the point on the tb bridge where it was out of guardzones, but even then most times it was paged on the gm would remove it.

Then along came the editor tool that allowed people to just walk over them or stack multiple efields in top of each other by editing the art file.
Pretty much ended crating candelabras.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So lets say I block the teleporter in the star room. Kill a bunch of people who have just finished a spawn. Loot all the stuff and then leave. They then page to a GM.

By the time the GM arrives I would be long gone and there is not much they can do. This is the problem. I mean can the GM even see how put the items down that block the way? I really doubt it.
Just like I said... IF a GM sees it.
Most "rules" these days are ignored due to a sheer lack of enforcement. So it's really not a question of if it's legal or not. The real question these days is more along the lines of if you will get caught or not. So is it illegal? yup. Will you get caught and punished if you do it? Probably not.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thread has been cleaned up. Please keep all comments without any personal attacks or trolling. All posts that do not follow will be removed and warnings will be issued. Thanks for your understanding

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Missed em again. Pls PM me the deleted ones.

This thread was closed on the UO Forum site. :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be fine if they would just close the threads, but they always feel they have to interject their personal thoughts before closing them.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be fine if they would just close the threads, but they always feel they have to interject their personal thoughts before closing them.
So them putting this "This question has been answered." is interjecting their own thoughts but then again it they just closed it without a reason then we would hear the pancakes about that.