• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Would you buy an action figure of your UO character?

G

I've always thought it would be cool. Just wondering what you all think of that kind of idea.

G

I could just go buy a Barbie and dress her in a little red "leather" bathing suit.

Elffin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would love to buy a doll of each of my characters, Would be the peak of my UO geekness

Elf.

I

imported_Sarphus

nope. I'm not really into collecting miniatures/action figures. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would buy them, though.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I've always thought it would be cool. Just wondering what you all think of that kind of idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess your referring to this from World of Warcraft?
http://www.figureprints.com/

I guess there are UO players who would be interested in a figurine of their characters. =]

P

pallas

omg this is totally nerdy of me but I think that is AMAZING.

I'd totally do it.

G

Actually no I hadn't seen that.

Its just an idea I've had in my head for ages.

I think it came from this blog I stumbled on where this guy built his own action figures and sold them on ebay. I can't remember how I found it though.

G

- If you can do it, afford to do it, and want to do it, then go for it.

Some have had UO alter egos for over a decade now and might enjoy having action figures of their favorites (and maybe even of other personas they've known in UO).

G

I have signed maps and stuff; a wonderful woman even gave me a piece of Origin memorabilia last September.
I used to be embarrassed that I enjoyed UO so much as well.

But for many years I have been just happy to have had a healthier &amp; less expensive hobby than many other things I can think of.

G

If it counts I already have an action figure of blackthorn that came with one of the expansions.

And hell yes I would buy an action figure of my characters but only if it was like really high quality and came with some kind of cool little display case or something with a metal plaque displaying the details of it lol.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

If it were affordable I would indeed.

This is, however, not to my credit.

-Galen's player

I

imported_thenow

Even though I would not ,thats one of the funniest, coolest ideas I've seen for awhile on these forums, lol. If EA did some UO marketing[and hopefully with my optimistic veiw of game improvements on its way the next coming mths] you never know it good be a good money making venture for the person/persons with the right motivation.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Well SURE ... But I'd want it for the same price as the the one's that already have them ...

(requires some thought ... you'll catch on ....)

G

If they were done up like old school 2D action figures
yeh I might buy 2 of em one for each of my oldest first born characters perhaps.

I too have often thought of the gold mine EA is sitting upon and marketing that they NEVER think of doing.....................I would glady BUY yes gladly buy a plush old school ie pre KR version Icon of UO like ......... a plush toy mongbat..with mongbat sounds in it and so when ya press the mongbat's lil right or left foot it makes in game mongbat noises.

Think of all the creatures we are oft fond of in UO........the mongbat...the cow yes the cow, the llama, the pre LBR daemon, the dragon, the ww all bright white, and perhaps an ophidian Matriarch, etc. etc. endless list of plush toys EA UO could make COULD sell and sell in stores to also at same time promote the uniqueness of this game as well...right along with our chrs. action figures and plush toy creatures of Sosaria/UO.

*still waiting for a toy plush fur talking mongbat*

F

Fayled Dhreams

And ... If you don't have "stealth" in/on your template

google: creating action figures
(if you want YOUR face on YOUR character ... check here)

*shrugs*

Personally ... I'm quite surprised that some fan, somewhere, from one of the many "modeling" hobbies ... hasn't ...
The blueprint/templates are there in the art files ... everything from raytraced holograms ... to "civil-war table-top class" "re-enactments"
model railroads ... precision cnc ... ceramics ... on and on and on ...

For that matter ... Kinda surprised, considering the isometric veiw ... we're Still looking up at a vertical monitor in whatever resolution ...
instead of down at a horizontal monitor with stereoscopic depth perception ... Just saying ... WoW is just pretty colors with a rotating camera angle ... on a 2d screen ...
last Century veiwing ... not a new idea ... really...

Remember "wizards chess" in Harry Potter ? How about .... This ?

Just saying ...

I

imported_S!ckLoveR

I wish they had done more stuff like LBR.. Although that Blackthorne figure needed a lot more work and less plastic.

:p Oh yeah, UO doesn't even have a box anymore- silly me.

C

Connor_Graham

No. I may be a closet geek, but not THAT much of one. I mean, that would be like evidence.

I've got a rep to uphold ya know.

G

I would purchase a model of my pvp char but hopefully mine would be cheaper as it would only be in black and white!

G

I would, but not one of my chars.

The one I would get would be used as a voodoo doll and give me a lot of pleasure.

Could think of nothing nicer to shove pins in when my temper gets the better of me.

Then again, looking at even a doll of that char would probly make me want to throw up so perhaps its not a good idea, less I ran over it in my car til there was nothing left but flattened roadkill doll, and put it out for the garbo's to take for a suitable burial.

Think I would pay up to 50 bucks for the pleasure that would give me.

Ahh well, for now will just have to have fantasies or nightmares, depending on what frame of mind I am in at the time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

- If you can do it, afford to do it, and want to do it, then go for it.

Some have had UO alter egos for over a decade now and might enjoy having action figures of their favorites (and maybe even of other personas they've known in UO).

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of those alter egos haven taken over but its ok there currently running round New Jersey looking for a healer.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YES!

But only if it would be in the OLD 3d graphics, the Pre-AOS graphics.

Like this.

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

I'm still embarressed that I own a cloth map of UO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be...

Everyone has hobbies and celebrates those hobbies in different ways.

Some guys buy action figures, pins, cloth maps, whatever... My dad buys radios and telescopes... Some guys paint their bodies and proudly display themselves in stadiums that are PACKED with other people.

You don't need any of these people to validate your hobby... They don't need you to validate theirs

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

And ... If you don't have "stealth" in/on your template

[/ QUOTE ]

An empty base?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be...

Some guys buy action figures, pins, cloth maps, whatever... My dad buys radios and telescopes... Some guys paint their bodies and proudly display themselves in stadiums that are PACKED with other people.

You don't need any of these people to validate your hobby... They don't need you to validate theirs

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

F

Fayled Dhreams

sure, "An Empty base" ... no wait ... no base ... Full stealth, so, No Trace ...
A "real" imaginary friend, better than the "imaginary" real "friends" that "pretend" its okay and "doesn't matter" how involved one is "in the game" ...
She/He willl be there, nodding and whispering advice and words of encouragement ...one more gp ... go left ... left ... wait for it ... wait ... now! booyahhh! shhh shhh ... backwards now ... easy ... easyyyyyy ... well done ... well done ... truely thou art master of the universe! oooooo looky looky there ... freshly rezzed nooblar six pace's sou' sou'east ....

Much better than the keyboard bangers and vent screamers .... nooenelseknowstheyarethere, justyouandthempartner .... just you and them ...

shhhhhhhh
*looks out from under blanket*

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't be, shoot i would go have it framed if i still had mine.
fires suck

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to derail the thread or anything, but c'mon, people - two words:

STUFFED MONGBAT.

U

uo_kaladin

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be...

[/ QUOTE ]

None of my relatives have validated online game playing as a "hobby" sadly enough. I've tried to make that argument in the past and have lost horribly.

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

I would NOT pay to buy a real figurine/doll of my character(s).

However, I likely WOULD pay In-Game gold (as a sink) to buy statues of all of my characters to place in Houses etc. If they could be traded with other players for display in houses etc, I believe many players would buy into those.

Thanks for posing this question.

Elladan of Baja

D

dmodesto

This is a great idea ! Those WoW ones look amazing!

I'm sure there would be a very solid market for it.

G

Well, I think I'm going to try building my character.

I've wanted to try my hand at building custom action figures for a while now. Something rekindled the idea in my head and so now I think I'm atleast going to try building a few things to test the waters of it all.

I'll keep you all posted as soon the the work station I'm tossing together is put together and I have all the materials... I was going to pick most of it up today, but the hobby shop nearby was closed down so I'm going to have to order some of the supplies online or find another hobby shop in the area.

Hopefully this will be something I enjoy doing enough to do it long enough not to suck terribley at it ^^ if not I can atleast give any of the action figures I pick up to customize into my UO char to my nephew (assuming I don't mutilate them all).