• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Would You Be a Governor?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As the nominations begin to be recorded on the stones some people might be wondering what it’s like to be a governor of one of Britannia’s cities. Our intrepid reporter, Frarc, current governor of Jhelom on Drachenfels, has been kind enough to share his knowledge with us. We hope you will find The Governor to […]

Read the whole post here.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Nice writeup Frarc. But, I'm curious why someone would want to be Governor. It seems a lot of work and requires a commitment of personal expenses, with few rewards. Am I missing something?

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Being a governor can be work, but also gives a chance to make a difference on your shard. My shard is a quiet one. We tend to hid when on. To help people get to know each other, I've borrowed ideas from governors on other shards. I've started weekly hunts sponsored by a city. Soon I hope to begin markets, story/play nights and any thing else I can do so our citizens know they are not alone.
Governor Rowan of Skara Brae

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I would not want to be a Governor for a number of reasons. (1) I'm not a good organizer of events or of people. (2) I enjoy doing things when I'm in the mood, and not because I have to. (3) I would inevitably disappoint others, and that's the last thing I'd want to do. (4) Last but not least, my main character is very antagonistic toward Lord Blackthorn and regards him as untrustworthy. Being a goblin, she would have a very difficult time behaving in meetings.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you are a community minded individual and you like doing things for the community it can be somewhat rewarding.

However it is also exceedingly expensive and one should not go into it lightly thinking it's anything other that what it is. Mostly it's RP. Sure you can give folk a title or you can shell out loads of gold so folk can use the trade deal...

But word of warning.... you can only choose ONE trade deal... it lasts a week. You all need to agree on what the deal will be. Sadly you can not please everyone. Often folk will question what is the best deal. Also... you won't "get" anything. No plaque with your name, no fortune... no items.

You do get to sit with the King. However things are well laid out and it's all RP. You can't get anything out of the King at least nothing with any permanence. The biggest thing to remember is that the King is an EM... NOT a DEV. They can't fix your character, your house, your whatever, they won't give you stuff they can't make you things, they can't give you anything. They do not control the game nor do they create anything other than their own events they put on. They also prefer you remain in-character and will often ignore things that are Out of Character.... ie stuff about real life and the real world... They can't change the way PvP works or bring back Factions or anything else.

They are also not Mesanna. Though they do speak to her.

Suppose you could forgo attending the meetings and all but really if you're not going to participate in all that then why would you really seek the office? If you aren't going to do anything but hold the title then really what is the point? Consider your shard and consider what is best for the community. If you feel you could do something good for the community then by all means run. If you think your going to get something more than a temporary title then perhaps you might want to let someone else run because it's not going to happen.

If you are doing it to be vindictive and hurt someone then I can only say there are far better ways that are less harmful to the community... and seriously if you have that much distaste for your fellow gamers then perhaps you might need a RL therapist to sort out your anger management issues. As trying to "ruin" someone in game by taking away an election from them is honestly sad and pathetic and likely will do them more favors than harm.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to be clear, I did not wrote everything thats been done and changed in that year. And I only took Drachenfels as a example because I know the people there.
On Drachenfels Moonglow got a arcane circle too, A lighthouse have been build south of Moonglow and east in New Magincia. Britain asked to remove some bloodstains infront of the bank And there are other stuff too.
I raised a 100 Million gold for the city treasury by placing 4 items on a Ingame auction. I made it clear to the auctioneer that those items would be for that purpose and nothing else. But the moonglow event , Dragons for Moonglow, and The Treasury event are a nice example how to combine city funding and fun.

You only limited by your imagenation and I don't see being a governor as a lot of work. :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just to be clear, I did not wrote everything thats been done and changed in that year. And I only took Drachenfels as a example because I know the people there.
On Drachenfels Moonglow got a arcane circle too, A lighthouse have been build south of Moonglow and east in New Magincia. Britain asked to remove some bloodstains infront of the bank And there are other stuff too.
I raised a 100 Million gold for the city treasury by placing 4 items on a Ingame auction. I made it clear to the auctioneer that those items would be for that purpose and nothing else. But the moonglow event , Dragons for Moonglow, and The Treasury event are a nice example how to combine city funding and fun.

You only limited by your imagenation and I don't see being a governor as a lot of work. :)
Moonglow on GL's asked for an Arcane Circle.... Denied. Anything "permanent" we have asked for Denied. Rather irks me and I KNOW I'm not alone that other shards get better treatment when requesting things. Other shards have lovely deco all over... but anytime anyone on GL's asks for such things..... DENIED.

*sighs* It's frustrating and makes for some bitterness.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Moonglow on GL's asked for an Arcane Circle.... Denied. Anything "permanent" we have asked for Denied. Rather irks me and I KNOW I'm not alone that other shards get better treatment when requesting things. Other shards have lovely deco all over... but anytime anyone on GL's asks for such things..... DENIED.

*sighs* It's frustrating and makes for some bitterness.
I bet. There's no reason for that. Lake Superior's got a circle in WBB (which is the only reason people go there anymore), along with a nicely decorated rooftop - a garden, a moongate, and other things.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just stating the facts. We have a Circle at WBB because everyone does. We "HAD" a nice tunnel that was unique to our shard went from WBB to the moongate and back...... was awesome little hole where Sparky lived. Then they ruined it and promised us a moongate to replace taking away our tunnel... Never got the moongate and Sparky now sits in the elements near the zoo... no longer safe in his little beetle cavern... But if we mention anything we're told that we don't get a gate because the person who designed our bank didn't see fit to put one there.

Well excuse me that I'm not talented with using illegal 3rd party programs to build a free shard and redecorate the bank to turn in the entry requested. And I'm not that good at cutting and pasting the 400+ elements that would have made a nice bank entry in paint... and I wasn't not about to spend the 400 hours doing so. Had they provided a decent program that we could use to design a bank I'm sure many more talented people would have entered. But that's beside the point.

Point is that the Governor program is bias. IMO what's good on one shard ought to be good on any other. If I'm told on GL's that EM's are NOT decorators then well ...... other shards ought to be as barren as mine. I shouldn't go to other shards and see any lovely decorations surrounding the entrance to Heartwood.... I shouldn't see a nicely designed Tavern like area on top of the Winery with a nice staircase going up there... I shouldn't see lovely deocations all around in Trinsic, Skara Brae or any other town... because EM's are NOT decorators. Either that or well.... my EM's had best learn to deco.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, that's unfortunate, and you're right, it should be. Before reactivating, I had last played in 2010 during RTB, and as I remember, the WBB roof wasn't even decorated.

I don't know what the EMs are like on other shards, but I LOVE Lake Superior's EM, Falcon. She pops in the general chat on a regular basis, chats with everyone that's been participating in the current event arc, and has mentioned stuff she plans on doing: decorations & other stuff that I didn't really pay attention to, plus future events (with a PvP tournament being a possibility. I was excited for that one, it'd give me a chance to do some dueling again after 7 years.) One night she even came to a Travesty a group of us were doing & chatted there. After that was over, I believe we headed to the Vesper/Minoc area and had to do the Orkin man's job, since their job description doesn't cover man (and dragon) eating spiders.

I'm not much of an RP'er, so I don't get too involved in that aspect of it, but I enjoy the fighting we've had to do (I'm more of a "HULK SMASH" player), with her cracking jokes about how much we've all liked the fighting (and dying)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm running for Governor of Trinsic on Great Lakes. I'm expecting to get my butt kicked royal, so any pity votes out there appreciated :)

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The voting has started, well on Drachenfels anyway. :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
About the "should some shards be deco'd while others are not" thing, personally I think that as has been said many times, EM's are not decorators, but clearly some enjoy and are good at decorating their shards, so since some of the EM's enjoy decoing and some shards need deco, why not just let any EM who is willing decorate any shard that looks "barren" as Malagaste said earlier. It seems like a win-win situation to me.